Big Interview with Douglas Gresham

Posted December 6, 2009 12:00 am by fantasia_kitty

A gentleman by the name of Ian Kath (who worked on the set of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader as a prop maker) interviewed Doug Gresham a few weeks ago about the Narnia movies. Doug Gresham also talks a good deal about his own life and Christian beliefs. It’s a very long podcast, about an hour long, but here are the highlights that icarus has already transcribed from it (see more on his forum post).

Ian Kath: These movies, how well are they sticking to the originals, the books?

Douglas Gresham: Well, The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe was very close to the original book because the book was written in such a way that lent itself to being transcribed into the film medium. Prince Caspian we had to make some fairly major changes because the book isn’t written that way. In this movie there are a lot of differences in it also to, as Hollywood says, “derive the plot”. I’m ambivalent as to whether they’re necessary or not, I don’t really think so. But thats the way they wanted to do it, and it was either that or not make a movie, so I said “well go ahead and do it”. It will be very interesting to see the audiences reactions.

…..

Ian Kath: It’s an amazing amount of work that we’ve put into this, and I just love what we’ve done, and if the story is as good as the work and the passion that we’ve put into it..

Douglas Gresham: I think the story in the book is better but it’s still a great story.

Ian Kath: I don’t know the story.

Douglas Gresham: You should read it, you should read all of the Narnian chronicles, but yeah I think it’s going to be a great movie. It’s a fabulous movie.

…..

Ian Kath: Is the next one scripted yet?

Douglas Gresham: Oh no no. We haven’t got that far yet. We haven’t even decided exactly which one we are going to do yet. There are several reasons why we would go with The Silver Chair, but then there are other reasons why we might go with something else. One of the reasons for Silver Chair, I’m voting for going with Silver Chair, one of the reasons is that we have found an absolutely fabulous young actor to play Eustace.

There are several more transcribed bits that you can see in icarus’ first post just below this news story. But of course, you’ll want to listen to the whole podcast which can be downloaded on Ian Kath’s website here.

Edited to add: We cannot stress enough the importance of actually listening to the interview. While it may sound like Doug Gresham is unhappy with the way this movie is headed in writing, he sounds VERY excited about the movie when you actually listen to him talking about it.

Huge thanks to icarus for the find!

Visit the ForumHave a comment or want to chime in on this news story? Check out the NarniaWeb Forum for some fantastic discussion. Just click here to post your comments. We look forward to seeing you on the forum! Here’s a quick preview of the forum discussion:

No Items Available

Unfortunately there appears to be no news items on the page you have requested logged here

• Keyaan says:

"A lot of differences in the story"?

Uh oh. I just hope these changes don’t mess around with the themes of the book.

• Jules the Unicorn says:

They can never change the books. Edmund, Caspian, Trumpkin, Reepicheep – they’re always the same whenever you pick up C.S. Lewis’ classics. This is just a movie.

• icarus says:

I would highly recommend people listen to the full podcast. It is very long, but its definitely worth it. :-) Not only is there lots of stuff that i didnt transcribe, but even where i did write up the quotes i still think it helps to hear it spoken aloud by Doug himself. When its printed down in black and white text, some of what he says comes across as being a bit too stark and overly negative. If you hear it with the full intonation of his voice you might have a slightly different opinion of what he says. Or maybe not.

• iLiveInNarnia says:

tis a good podcast.

• Silver the Wanderer says:

Is it available on iTunes?

• Bother Eustace says:

Ah, I figured. I was reading the transcription and thinking, "I’ve /never/ heard him this negative… either I’m missing the tone of his words, or this is a really bad movie." I’m sure it’s the former, I’ll go ahead and listen to the whole thing after I finish this comment.

• fantasia_kitty says:

Indeed, I will totally back up what icarus said. When I read the quotes, DG sounded pretty nervous about this movie. But when I actually listened to him on the podcast, he sounded VERY excited about it. :) And of course, the book is always better. ;)

• JadistarkilleR says:

great find Icarus!

Gresham shared the same misgivings and criticisms as i did about PC. sorry to say but it feels soooo good to be vindicated by Lewis’ own step son :D

Wow, interesting. It sounds like there are going to be some changes that bug us Narnia fans. But hopefully this will still be a good movie. As long as they keep most of the major scenes and themes, I guess I can deal with it.

• Griffle says:

Yeah, I heard Peter and Susan will be in this one too. Anyone know anything about this? hehe ;)

• InLoveWithAslan says:

WHAT?!?!?!?!

• Griffle says:

It’s a joke, hence the "hehe" and ;)

DON’T JINX IT!!!
        ;)
        Just kidding.

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

It would be pretty hard to jinx it considering they’ve already finished filming.

• iLiveInNarnia says:

if that actually happened, i’d sue walden media. ;) lol

hey i wouldnt actually mind a SMALL scene of peter going off to study at the professor’s, and susan going off to america. that would be cool, just as long they make it small.

• NarniaHannah♥(used to be celtic13 and LucyReepicheep4♥) says:

Griffle you scared me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don’t do that! :)
        Narnian resident: yeah, I thought that would be cool. I wonder how they’re going to explain what’s going on. like in LWW they had the bombing scene to eplain what’s going on. so I’m curious to see how they set VDT up.
        Oh, I’m curoius to see the whole movie!
        No, I’m going crazy to see the movie!
        everyone thinks I’m so weird, y’know the disposable water bottles(like dasani, or aqufina) I ALWAYS write ‘December 10th, 2010!’ on mine w/ a sharpie. same for when I use a disposable cup, or when I write my name on a piece of paper.
        I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• iLiveInNarnia says:

Narnian Resident I agree with that. That would be cool if they just showed a clip of susan going off into her nail-polish and junk, and Peter to his studies. Just as long as caspian isn’t thinking about Susan when he gets married to Ramandu’s daughter.. that would anger me

• rilian4evr says:

this is going to be interesting…i hope they don’t change it too much VDT was one of my favorite books in the series

• iLiveInNarnia says:

"Alot of changes" I’m not happy with the sound of that! I’ve been re-reading VDT (for about the 7th time i might add) and I’ve been trying to think how the movie would look in each scene. It doesn’t seem like it would be too much of a challenge. Oh well, just have to wait and see when the movie comes out how big these "big changes" are. I hope they don’t make any stupid mistakes….

• NarnianElf says:

I don’t really mind if they change it all around. In The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, a different production was going to make the story in modern day Los-Angeles, and the turkish delight was going to become hot dogs! Just so long as they don’t change VDT to that extent, I’m fine with it.

• iLiveInNarnia says:

Hot dogs! That’s insane! I don’t have any problem with them changing it up a bit. C.S. Lewis can truly have a dizzying intalect, and it may get difficult to stick to everything on VDT. I still am not quite sure how I feel about having other creatures aboard the Dawn Treader..like in previous spy photos. I am pretty sure I’ll be fine with it as I watch the movie. I just don’t want any "hot dogs" ;)

• iLiveInNarnia says:

And by "Stupid things" I mean another "suspian" thing. That drove me nuts. I read this SUPER early leaked script that said Lucy was going to use the beauty spell to make herself more beautiful like Susan so that Caspian would fall in love with her. That would anger me… Small changes..not so much. :D

Did anyone look at the pictures (on the forum post) of Ian Kath’s work? Could those tables and things (they almost look like stocks) be for the slaves of Narrowhaven? They have chains. Does anyone else have ideas?

• CEP Paul T says:

I listened to the interview. Certainly worthwhile. :) Listening makes the quotes not at all cringe-worthy.

• mm1991 says:

Oh no. That’s all I can say. Oh no.

• Silver the Wanderer says:

Fairly major changes? I really didn’t think VDT needed that many changes. I hope he’s just refering to MLG and Rhindon. But why the plural "changeS"? Oh dear. Well, please just stick to the themes and don’t go changing people’s personalities (*cough* Peter *coughcough*). That’s what’s important to me.

Also *cough* Trumpkin *coughcough* Maybe some won’t agree, but his personality was the one I was most disappointed in. He seemed so grumpy and…unTrumpkinish. The Trumpkin in the book was cynical but cheerful. The Trumpkin in the movie was just a grouch and no fun, in my opinion. Oh well…nothing you can do…

• Silver the Wanderer says:

So true. I think one of my biggest fears is that they’ll do something with Edmund or Caspian. Like, make Caspian full of himself. That’d be awful… *shudders*

• Long Live King Skandar says:

Starlily, I understand what you’re getting at. However, I thought it was really sweet how they made Trumpkin subtly protective of Lucy, kind of like how Tumnus was her special friend in LWW.
        and Silver the Wanderer!!! NOOO!!!! PLEASE DONT JINX IT!!! nonononono!! aaahhhh

Actually, Long Live King Skander, I think it was kind of sweet too. The thing is, if I can just pretend that grumpy (but soft-hearted) red-haired dwarf is not Trumpkin, then I kind of like him. :) But he is so unlike Trumpkin from the book that I always cringe when he starts yelling at the kids after they rescue him. I wish it didn’t bother me so much. :( I just have to pretend it’s not Trumpkin I’m looking at…

• Long Live King Skandar says:

aww sorry to hear that. I mean i know how you feel…but i guess they made Trumpkin as realistic as they could. I mean, after being discovered, captured, punched in the face, tied up, and thrown into a river, i guess he should have been pretty mad. but again, i know how you feel about the change in his character from the book. although i must say, (and i know this is kind of random), the look on his face when Edmund beats him is priceless :)

• Please Type Here says:

uh oh. :( Mr. Gresham didn;t sound to thrilled abotu the production.

• fantasia_kitty says:

You think when he said "yeah I think it’s going to be a great movie. It’s a fabulous movie." he doesn’t sound thrilled about the production?

• twinimage says:

Well, whether or not Gresham’s excited, who’s going to actually say they think the movie they’ve been involved with is going to be rotten? At least he is honest and straight forward, that the story will be different in some parts. At least he is honest and not beating around the bush. :)
        Gresham does have a way of getting others excited about these Narnia films, even if he tells you it will be different from the book a bit.

• The Batman says:

I love hearing interviews with Mr. Gresham. Thanks so much for finding this Icarus!
    Changes or no changes, this is going to be a fantabulous movie, and I’m counting the days ’till it’s out!!! :)

• yeswelovenarnia says:

UGH!!!!!! A lot different from the book? I KNOW I am going to HATE this movie!!!!! I already don’t like it that they change it from the books but hollywood having such a big say in it is unacceptable. :(:(:(:( I want it like the book not different!!!!

what do you expect? hollywood always has a say in anything, and its opinion is VERY noticed. thats whats annoying about it. apparently if hollywood thinks its cool, then its cool. wrong! but dont worry even though there are changes i still think it will be a great movie. remember, its the narnian spirit that counts! unless they ruin that too….

• Jules the Unicorn says:

yeswelovenarnia, keep up that attitude and you definently won’t like it ;-). I suggest reserving judgement until we can judge for ourselves.

• NarnianElf says:

I am already in love with VDT, and I just know that they are going to do a fabulous job. Please don’t start critizing it :D

• skandargirl_95 says:

if they’re gonna make the movie EXACTLY the same as the book, then it’d be a wee bit boring to watch, don’t you think?
      I think it’s good that they’re adding something different to the movie…but I hope it’s only JUST A BIT of a change from the book…I hope I’m not gonna sound like I’m pro-changes, but I think I’d be bored to death if they made it EXACTLY as the book…

• The Great and Fearless Pug says:

I’m starting to get worried, but I am also excited! I really hope the movie will turn out, but if anything, we all know that Narnia holds a special place in our hearts and that we will remember the story for what it is.

• The Great and Fearless Pug says:

Edmund P’s big news page has something I saw. Douglas Gresham said the movie makers did not market the movie well and that he told them to do it at Christmas, but they wouldn’t listen. Now, in a similar fashion, he doesn’t seem to happy with the altered version of the story, but the movie makers are not listening. Hopefully VoDT does better than PC, but these quotes make me a little concerned.

hmm…..you would think of all the people they would listen to it would be doug gresham. i mean, hello!, he knew c.s. lewis personally! logic would tell me to go to him all the time for how the story should be done and help with it! boy, i hope they dont shoo him away because his opinion is being ignored….

• King Skandar the Just says:

YAY! I’m glad he likes it! I’m a little annoyed that they changed it up but, oh well. Prince Caspian wasn’t terrible so this can’t be to much worse.

• ibookworm says:

I was blown away by how awesome the first film was, but I HATED the Prince Caspian movie. It all comes down to characters. If story is "the significant actions of characters over time" (the best definition I’ve ever seen, from Daniel Taylor), then if you change the characters, you change the story. I was never more engaged in a movie than at the start of the final battle in the first film, because that was PETER up there, lowering his visor for the charge. I was invested in the movie because I was invested in the characters, and I was invested in the characters because they matched the characters that C.S. Lewis wrote. But then in Prince Caspian Peter became whiny emo Peter, and Caspian was a punk, and the entire film felt like modern teenagers with self-esteem issues got transplanted to Narnia and, frankly, dirtied it. The character development that Peter had undergone in the first film was dropped, and it was as if he had never been High King of Narnia, with the nobility and responsibility that that implies. The filmmakers approached him as a boy who had been king and had lost his kingship and was feeling pouty about it, instead of a king who became a boy again and retained his kingly nature — see the difference? And so the sense of wonder, and of old-fashioned nobility, which Lewis had suffused into the tale was utterly lost. One of my favorite parts in the book was always Peter coming in, taking charge, and dictating that official letter of challenge to Miraz (and then Edmund delivering it!). You just couldn’t get that same effect in the film, because Peter wasn’t the same person.

I can understand the urge to make a character grow and change, but they picked the wrong character to do that to. There were plenty of opportunities that would have kept with the characters that C.S. Lewis wrote. For instance, Edmund could have shown a little more discontent to foreshadow his little tiff with Caspian in the next film (Edmond was always a more outspoken character anyway, but in the film some of his more character-revealing lines, such as the one about girls and maps, were actually given to Peter where they come off as whiny instead of just a fun element of personality), and there actually did exist in the book a fairly big character issue in the form of Susan’s refusal to believe in what Lucy was telling her, which was actually underplayed in the film, overwhelmed by all the bickering between emo Peter and Caspian the arrogant.

I was actually shocked that Douglas Gresham had allowed the film to be mutilated, but it makes me feel a little better to see that he doesn’t think such changes are necessary. Unfortunately he doesn’t really seem to get much of a say in things, does he?

• NarnianHarper says:

AMEN.

• Lutra's Pearl says:

I think you are right in just about everything. I don’t think they understand that people will like the movie more if they just keep to the books. They would be completely safe if they made the movie just like the book. I still like PC but it was nothing what it could have been if they hadn’t changed it. My opinion is that they are trying to "modernize" it way to much. It isn’t just what they did to Peter but to everything else too. I think that it is spelled ditto but I pronouns it diddo. Keep the story of Aslan alive!!!!!

• tenthofthatname says:

There are people who don’t like the books at all. These films are being made for more than just die hard Narnia fans.

• always narnian says:

I hearitly agree, ibookworm. I couldn’t have said it better myself (right, chief?). I always discuss Prince Caspian with anyone I can, because I hate the movie so much- because of how it was changed! I always say the same, in how, it seems like your average teenage movie. When in the book, the characters were different from now, showing courage, nobility, honor and truth- opposed to now. It’s truly sad what they did- and how lacking they were in allegory (but what can we expect when a non-Christian made the film?) =(

• Star~rise says:

wow! I had no idea that this many people shared my views on PC! LOL
        ~Where the water is sweet~

• narniafan4ever ♥ says:

You bring up a good point. It seems like the people today aren’t expecting what they used to expect of teens. They believe that it is okay for teens to be disrespectful, without modivation, and really moody without control. I wish it wasn’t that way. But, the teen years are for maturity, learning to control yourself like an adult would, and so on. So, I think that the kids in Narnia (the books) show courage, strength, perseverance, and so on. But trying to bring it down the level of teens today takes away a lot of that beauty. :)

• Serenia says:

I totally agree.

• Jules the Unicorn says:

In defense of Edmund, I believe you’re reading into his character. He only has one tift with Caspian in Voyage of the Dawn Treader and that’s when the deceitful power of gold is affecting everyone. I certainly don’t think that is a major part of the book, and definently not of the series. Therefore, I disagree that it should have been foreshadowed in Prince Caspian.

• Dolvarren says:

ibookworm – you are one of the first people I have read that agrees with with me about the destruction of Peter’s character within the film. Holywood seems to have a real problem these days with heros. It was the same with LOTR when PJ turned Aragorn into a wimp running away from his responsibilities. One of the reasons why I love the books so much is because of that nobility which C. S. Lewis brings out so well in the children.

• Lillyput90 says:

I agree wholeheartedly about Peter, but I also think that Aragorn was still amazing in the movie; Peter was, to put it delicately, a very troubled young man in th PC movie. I don’t see why they needed to change Aragorn (I imagine it was to create suspense etc.) but he was still the gentleman, the strong presence, the leader, and everything that he needed to be. The only difference was the non-acceptance of his fate, rather than the eager anticipation for it. I LOVE watching Aragorn throughout the entire LOTR trilogy movies, I do not enjoy Peter’s attitude and sarcasm in PC. He went, in my opinion, from Hero (in LWW) to Zero (in PC).

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

I say keep an open mind and enjoy the movie for what it is and not compare it to the book so much. I like Prince Caspian for what it is and tried not to compare it with the book so much and just enjoyed the movie when I was watching it in the theater. This is why they say "based on the books by C.S. Lewis", because it’s not going to be the same as the book. I think people should quit pouting and be a little more flexible, being upset isn’t going to change it. I think a few changes aren’t that bad, it gives surprises to look forward to. As long as the central goal isn’t change and the characters aren’t change I’m cool with it. Thank you Icarus for the find! Sail on VDT!

• tenthofthatname says:

I’m honestly glad they acknowledge the need for some changes. If they tried to cater to only the loyal fans of the books it would be equally disastrous. I don’t care what people say about the comic book medium (IMO it’s not and will never be any lesser than novels), the same scenario there applies here: Even fans squabble amongst each other. The Dark Knight did not follow Batman word for word, but it was faithful in spirit and an overall good film. That’s what made it successful, enough to satisfy most die hard fans and generate interest in the comics. I like to believe that the Narnia films have brought in new fans, satisfied old fans to a degree, and inspired people to give the original material a look.

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

Thank you! Finally a person who is flexible about things!

• tenthofthatname says:

Aw I’m pretty sure there are a lot of other flexible Narnia fans. I know a few who don’t hang out on Narnia Web for various reasons or just lurk. The polls IMO suggest the majority of fans can separate the films from the books and still like them.

• always narnian says:

You know, I don’t think for true Narnia fans it’s about flexibility. To Narnia fans, it’s about staying faithful to the books. That’s my point of view. Who can be a Narnia fan without being a fan to the true Narnia- which is found in the books. C.S. Lewis wrote them the way he wanted them- and they seemed to be loved for that- and not the way they are when changed.

• Dolvarren says:

Mirima,

I can see where you are coming from, but I do feel quite strongly that if a director wants to make a film of a book then it is beholden on that director to be as true as physically possible to the original. He/she is relying on the fan-base of that book to go and watch the film, so…

If they can’t commit to that honesty, then they should go off and write their own story, and make a film of that instead of cribbing from someone else’s idea. I do think that there is a real question of honesty and integrity here, and mucking about with something that many millions of people have got a lot of emotional capital invested in is not a good way to do business :)

Rant over !

• skandargirl_95 says:

yeah!
      I just watched the movie last night(though I missed MOST parts of the film…)and I was thinkin’ "Hey! It’s not THAT bad…"
      if I could put it in other words…"The change was for the better", ‘coz it turned out to be one great movie!
      I’m comfortable with the changes…it’s the date they showed it that worried me…being May the blockbuster month…so it showed "unsuccessful"
      people,don’t blame the script; blame the DATE that PC was shown…

this is nerve racking. if Doug isnt liking the changes, i might not either, and im afraid of what reactions i’ll have after he said that we would have reactions. well, i just hope these changes dont ruin the narnian spirit.

"Aslan, if ever you loved us at all, send us help." -Lucy, Voyage of the Dawn Treader

• InLoveWithAslan says:

Well that doesn’t make me happy. I think I’m going to be disappointed in VDT. I hate Hollywood sometimes. Because these books are so one-of-a-kind if hollywood wanted to change one thing I would have to say no to making them into movies. These books aren’t just any books. They are real to some of us readers and if you can’t stick to the book at least 95% then don’t even bother.

• tenthofthatname says:

Why adapt the books at all? If it’s 95% the same as the book then just read the books and forget about any film, mini-series, radio, theater, or animated adaptation.

• Lady Galadriel says:

tenthofthatname —

Probably a good idea. The books have a quality to them which I don’t think the movies have preserved so well thus far.

I agree with you on some extent about making changes in the movie. Yes, it would be very dull without any changing of things; and also, some things have to be changed because they can’t make it into a good film that way.

However, I believe that the film people need to keep an amount of respect for the original material. What is the point on making a film of a book if it is going to barely follow the book? Changes like Rhince/Rynelf will be confusing to readers of the book, and I see no reason for that to be necessary.

VDT may need some elements to tie it in together; I don’t object to those. Nor do I personally object to dramatization of the book. I will object if they add entirely new islands out of the blue, drop critically important islands, or add fight scenes and/or romance in places where there is no hint of it being.

Oh, and I am aware that these films are to appeal to people who have not read the books. But I think that people who have read the books are the ones more likely to go see the movie.

• tenthofthatname says:

I agree there is no reason to switch the role of First Mate. On the other hand I don’t remember Rhince and Rynelf being so distinct from each other. Giving them backstories to enhance the distinction of First Mate makes sense, the switch doesn’t but I’d reserve judgment on that for when we see just what they’ve done.

I agree with you on dropping critical islands. It isn’t VDT if you drop Ramandu’s Island or Coriakin’s. I don’t mind the addition of islands just as I didn’t mind the addition of the night raid because narration alludes to things happening off-page. To me this is paying respect to the source material, it’s showing what these stories have inspired in someone else’s imagination. I have and will always wonder about the experiences these characters had off-page or off-screen.

On that last point, are you saying you feel only people familiar with the books will go see any Narnia movie or are you saying you feel VDT’s challenge is being a sequel? I felt like PC’s challenge was being a sequel as it’s primary audience was going to be people who saw and liked LWW. I feel PC as a film or as a book can’t stand on its own. I’m mixed on VDT being the same way. I don’t know anyone for whom they fell in love with the Chronicles by reading VDT first. Most people, myself included, read VDT because we were already familiar with the characters and the world of Narnia. On the other hand, with the right changes VDT as a film could stand alone, thus drawing in new audience members and not suffering from sequel stigma.

Honestly if I were in charge, LWW and PC would be films and VDT a mini-series or 1 season TV show to handle its episodic nature. I agree with the filmmakers that in order for it to succeed as a film it needs a through-storyline. It wouldn’t need such a thing as an episodic series. Not to mention episodes means more time to enrich the world and develop all the characters complete with deeper backstories. Then again that would mean having to fill in more blanks that Lewis never addressed which would still raise bookfan hackles.

Maybe the books were never meant or well-suited to be adapted in a fashion that expands the Narnia universe. I do feel that the books emphasized lessons moreso than worlds and characters but this would probably approach the Lewis vs. Tolkien argument. Aaaaaand I’ve already talked long enough!

• Lady Galadriel says:

You said, "On that last point, are you saying you feel only people familiar with the books will go see any Narnia movie or are you saying you feel VDT’s challenge is being a sequel?"

Oh, I didn’t mean that only people who have read the books will see the movie. :) Yup, definitely there are people who are out there who haven’t read the books who still go to the movie.
        I feel that these movies shouldn’t be made to appeal specially to those people though, because I think some may just go to see a thrill (or worse yet, a few people go because they want to see something reminiscent of the LOTR-style battles/action). :O And then there are other people who want to see a book they love come to life on the big screen.
        I guess that’s the Lewis/Tolkien argument ;)

I think first priority should be to the book fans, since it’s because of the book that the movie is being made in the first place. :) But as I said before (I’ll just say it again to hopefully keep myself clear :D ), I don’t mind some tie-in points (like if Rhince’s wife is a slave on the Lone Islands or something). That particular point would make it more personal and makes the main characters more involved in the slavery problem.
        Also, as I always say, dramatization of the book wouldn’t be so bad. (For instance, VDT is definitely a lot of talking. Why, Caspian overthrew Gumpas in a conversation! I personally would not mind Gumpas being a little harder to outdo than that.) :D

• tenthofthatname says:

I understand what you mean about some people looking for "action flick" thrills but I don’t feel like the films have ever catered to or marketed the films that way. Fights are in the book and it’s hard to handwave battle violence in a film. PC was promoted as "more savage" but this is canon anyway. Whereas Jadis was running a police state the Telmarines more or less ran with extermination. That is savage. Whether one should depict it on screen or not is totally debatable. On that note, even though there are no full scale battles in VDT (excluding the reference to Caspian beating the Giants) I am definitely in agreement that the slave institution in VDT will need some tweaking or embellishment in order to make it appear more realistic on film…but not too brutal lest it change the tone dramatically. I wouldn’t mind a more "adult" adaptation of Narnia but the films did not start out that way in homage to the books so they ought to remain consistent in tone and content.

• tenthofthatname says:

I see the podcast playing in my browser but I don’t hear a thing. Anyone know how I can get it to work? My volume’s on just fine and still…nothing.

• narnia fan7 says:

Good interview

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

When I first read the story I nearly had a heart attack! Then I listened to the interview, and I was able to calm down a great deal.

It is still disappointing that Douglas Gresham doesn’t believe the changes that are being made are necessary. He never said anything like that for the Prince Caspian film, and yet I felt many of those changes were unneeded…

• always narnian says:

I am not happy at all with what is going on. How can they just say "Our way, or nothing?" That’s SO wrong. It’s not even their book! Ugh! I am very very disappointed.

• Francesca says:

I hope they do the The Last Battle with all the Pevensies in it. I really pray they do.

• Jules the Unicorn says:

Do you mean with Susan too? Or just with the original actors? Because if it’s the former, I would disagree with that drastic devation from the book, but if you mean my second question, I could not agree more whole heartedly!

• Narniamiss says:

Wow, sounds like there is a bit more to this than we were thinking, eh? I was prepared for a few changes, but this actually sounds like the whole structure of the book is going to be changed. I know Gresham is excited, but he also seems a little hesitant about all of it. I agree with him; I think the story was as fine as it was. And I definetly think it was epic enough! I don’t think there need be more "neccesary changes."

• fauntastic says:

Hm..for some reason, this isn’t very reassuring.

• Lillyput90 says:

I think we need to look at the bigger picture. Peter Jackson created middle earth on screen. There were story changes, yes, but the scenery and the characters and the breathtaking music, made my heart long for a land such as middle earth in that trilogy. The question is, when you watch a Narnia movie, do you feel yourself being transported into Narnia? I did in LWW, a little bit in PC, though I felt all the lovely "Narnia" moments from the book were rushed over or omitted. I would have liked it if the trees had awakened and invited Lucy into their dance and she had found Aslan that way. I would have liked it if the dicovery of Cair Paravel was not so hasty, but we can’t keep looking backwards. If in VDT there are beautiful "Narnia" moments, I will enjoy the movie. If Lucy looks over the edge of the ship watching the sun grow larger every morning and the sweet drinkable light glows within them all, I can forgive little changes. I the music is breathtaking and captures the heart of Narnia, I can overlook a lot! If as they approach Ramandu’s Island, the dim, purple smell and the singing birds (perhaps with an amazing vocal score sung in Gaelic or something) pierce my very soul, I can be very forgiving. If as the Albatross soars over Lucy and Whispers "Courage Dear Heart", I shall be a contented little Narnia fan! If this movie makes me long for Narnia and the East like the book does, I think I will melt with happiness:). Lets be optimistic and let everyone be allowed to have their own interpretation of Narnia, even the filmmakers, I think that is what Douglas Gresham is getting at. He wants everyone to be able to see Narnia as THEY see it, not just as he sees it.

• Mark Sommer says:

One thing that needs to be considered in all this is Douglas Gresham’s tendency for overstatement. And, given his personality (at least as it comes across in interviews), I have a hard time believing he is a pushover like some seem to think.
    The first paragraph of Gresham’s words provided above makes it sound like he just gave in because he would make any compromise just to get the movie made. But if you listen to the whole interview, it does not really sound that way at all.
    Try envisioning the Doug Gresham you are listening to in the interview in a meeting with the other producers discussing the movie. Can you really see Gresham caving in and saying some like, “Oh, well. If that’s the way it has to be.”?
    Last May, Doug gave an interview in which he called himself the “Narnia Nuisance.” (http://animatedviews.com/2008/douglas-gresham-producing-prince-caspian/) He described his role as co-producer thus:
    “My role is to make sure that everything in Narnia is really Narnian, and to constantly try to raise the quality of everything we do to the highest possible level, and also to ensure that each film contains and clearly portrays the essential and underlying meanings of the books.”
    Now, you may disagree with some things Gresham has “allowed,” but I really doubt it is because he is not doing everything he can to make sure the themes of the books come through loud and clear.
    If you are still not sure about Gresham’s strong personality, this blog response to the podcast may help convince you: http://www.adamdanielmezei.com/?p=694 (Note also Ian Kath’s reply.)

• Narnian-by-heart says:

Lillyput90,you put that so beautifully and elegantly. That is EXACTLY how i feel about it, down to the last word :).

• Narnia+Edmund=♥&☮ says:

He sounds very excited :)
    Even though he says the book is better (which it always is) I know I’m still going to love this movie :D

• Narnian-by-heart says:

"But thats the way they wanted to do it, and it was either that or not make a movie, so I said “well go ahead and do it"
    Actually, i think i would have prefered it not to be made then it made into a movie and ruined lol.

but thanks for the interview it was great!
    wish i could use my forums account, but i forgot my password and google won’t let me access my email :(.
    hope to hear more.Talk to you guys later God bless -NBH- (hope you have a great Christmas! =D )

• narniafan4ever ♥ says:

I am still excited for the movie, even if it isn’t really close to the book as I would like. I think that they movies in general are good, but if they are going to hold the title of Narnia, they should stick to the main theme of the book. :D
    Interesting interview, though!

• Duffleglum says:

I do believe the movie will be great,

But I think they’ve gotten addicted to changing the story ever since P.C. was made
    - LWW was too famous to change, but now it’s up to the high priests of hollywood to decide what makes itself into the film… and some of these guys have not even read the book??

• iLiveInNarnia says:

Wait, why would they NOT do the silver chair next? If they do HHB that just would not be acceptable. NOT ACCEPTABLE I TELL YOU! :O

• TumnusTheBrave says:

"Prince Caspian we had to make some fairly major changes because the book isn’t written that way. In this movie there are a lot of differences in it also to, as Hollywood says, “derive the plot”." NO U DON’T NEED 2 DO THAT DOUGLAS. honestly LWW was the better one from LWW and PC… doesn’t that kinda make u think that you’ll make more money and please the fans if you stay close to the book! There is no reason for this. Ridiculous. No offence or anything to douglas but it shouldn’t be that way… they should stay really close to the book especially after what happened to Prince Caspian

• Jessica says:

Why does Hollywood feel the need to remake a classic like VODT? I liked the book and if they have changed it too much- I am not going to like the movie. What audience do they think they are playing to? They have a built in fan base that they seem to like offending. I had my suspicions about PC and they were confirmed.And PC did poorly. LWW was a much better film. Why should we think VODT s going to be better than PC? So what- they built a pretty ship. PLOT is more important than fancy setting. They had better not forget that point of the Voyage was to seek adventure and Aslan. If they do- all is lost. If the scenes with Aslan go awry… it won’t even be the Chronicles.

• Jessica says:

I’m not buying this movie if its simply a horrid Narnian heresy or any of the merchandise! I will not support it. And I love the books. Yes- PC was that bad in my book. They defamed Peter’s character and made Caspian a push over and they forgot the whole point of the book: To awaken all Narnia. They left out the best part of the book. Everyone who has anything to do with writing the Script or acting it should be required to read the book first.

3 Trackbacks / Pingbacks for this entry