‘Dawn Treader’ Named Oscar Semi-Finalist

Posted December 10, 2010 8:53 pm by starkat

Several NarniaWebbers have written in to let us know that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader has made it onto the list of semi-finalists for the Oscar in Visual Effects! Fifteen films made the list. Harry Potter and Iron Man 2 among them. The list will be narrowed down to seven in early January. For more information, read the full article on ComingSoon.net.

Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

• Skandar-the Great says:

Sweet!

• Skandar-the Great says:

Wow! I am never on here when somebody posts something.

• Aravis Tarkheena says:

Lovely! I am tremendously dissapointed that PC didn’t get any Oscars (at least, by what I remember). I hope VDT does better. However, I thought the effects were not as good as the first two films, and especially not as good compared with the others on the list (Alice and Inception especially). So I suppose all I’m doing is "putting a bright face on it." πŸ˜‰

• Caspian's Gurl says:

WONDERFUL!!! What they had to do to create some of the scenes with the boat were FANTASTIC!

The only reason it stands a chance is that it is a December release. That gives it an advantage.

"Inception" deserves to sweep the Oscars this year.

• Arwen says:

Wow!!! I hope it wins!!

• Queen Susan the Gentle says:

Awesome! Hope it wins!

• Liberty Hoffman says:

sweet! yay! awesome! go VotDT! yay for Narnia!

• Tribunal says:

After watching the film, I think it is safe to say it won’t be a nominee. The budget for the visual effects was half of what PC had and it certainly shows. The beauty and depth of the previous films is not present in VDT. The movie was such a disappointment.

• samuel says:

hmm, I’d say that had to do with story and pacing, more than special FX. I thought that Narnia was beautifully rendered, with more interaction between CG and live-action. I would say though It didn’t have some of the subtlety of PC (aka story choices) the actual FX were much better than PC

• NarniaNut says:

Ur joking right??!! VDT Visual effects were awesome !! The dragon was quite realistic the ONLY one i thought was kinda wierd was when lucy hugged reep but the meaning of it totallly made up for it!!

• son of adam says:

I think VDT is great!

• narnian says:

Hooray for Narnia!!!!! this is the best news i heard so far! πŸ™‚

• Griffle says:

This should go to Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World IMO (the best film of the year).

• icarus says:

Inception, Tron Legacy and Scott Pilgrim have to be the frontrunners for that category – but after that it looks like its anyone’s game. VDT’s VFX were far from earth shattering, but there seem to be a lot of average films with average vfx in there (there are only a couple of movies listed there which i haven’t actually seen), so VDT may actually stand a chance of edging a nomination. πŸ™‚

• Pepper Darcy says:

already? WOW! I’m hoping Narnia, just so we have hope of more Narnias… if Oscars help πŸ™‚

• Pepper Darcy says:

so if there happened to be a Silver Chair effects vs. The Hobbit no-one here would be mad at me for going for The Hobbit? πŸ™‚ Though the funny thing is SC is my favourite Narnia book, has a lot of spiritual themes that I *love*! Sooo hoping DT does well enough to at least save me from *just* BBC version! πŸ™‚

Can’t wait! Seeing DT today!! πŸ˜€ HURRAY!

• Hwin says:

I hope that you will enjoy it, Pepper Darcy πŸ˜€ Please post what you think about it (a review, I suppose) after you have seen it!!! πŸ™‚

• Pepper Darcy says:

• Pepper Darcy says:

don’t worry! I’m going to post about it! I’m going to post it on my blog and then copy/paste it in Narniaweb and NarniaFan’s site πŸ™‚ And Amazon.com whenever they open up the DVD release part πŸ™‚ thanks for your intrest in it! Have you written a review? πŸ™‚

• Pepper Darcy says:

uuuuhhhh… my bad! didn’t mean to post that twice! 8/

• Not Of This World says:

It would really help if we had an Oscar. We then would even have a better shot to see the next one and the rest of the series.

• samuel says:

That’s great! I would say that Narnia definitely has better SFX than Harry Potter. Though I haven’t seen many movies this year, Alice’s SFX were unique, not necessarily well done (especially the 3D.) Haven’t watched inception yet, but I will on DVD soon πŸ˜‰

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Yea I think Alice had great special effects, considering the whole thing was pretty much effects. But Narnia has a fantastic array of characters and different setting that really grab your attention.

• Hwin says:

Wow, that is quite interesting!!! I think the visual effects were good- I was never taken out of the movie because of crappy effects, or anything. I really really wish I could go see it again!!! πŸ™

• ChristProclamer says:

Well, I’d say it’s about time Narnia got recognised for it’s work on Reep and Aslan, but I don’t think we’ll win.

Pity; It would be so exciting!

• Neverland Child says:

AWESOME!!!!! But, Harry Potter shouldn’t be on THAT list!!!!

• Ugly Pig says:

Meh. Nominate it, sure. Why not. But I think we all know it’s never gonna win.

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

It had better WIN. I seriously don’t think any other movie this year had that much SFX work other than Alice in Wonderland.

• Swordebrithil12 says:

I saw all those visual effects and thought "The thing I want the most right now is to be there." They did a really great job and I hope it wins! Narnia could use a boost.

• Pepper Darcy says:

I wouldn’t know about Harry Potter vs. Narnia. I don’t read or watch it. I think Narnia’s actually the only movie on that list I know. Go Narnia! πŸ™‚ Sorry, I have to vote Narnia since I don’t do HP. Funny, don’t do HP but I do Narnia and LotR. I guess there’s a big difference between magic content in HP vs. Narnia/LotR? πŸ™‚ No offense to those who like Harry Potter. I don’t really care who’s watching it πŸ™‚

• HUGEFANOFNARNIA19867 says:

I SAW THE MOVIE LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Harry Potter had crap effects. I personally think.

• DruidDream says:

As much as I love VDT, i really doubt it’ll win. Tho, being a semifinalist is really good

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I have to agree with you. No matter how much we love Narnia, it’s sad to say that it won’t compare to "bigger" movies. It’s hard for a family movie to win over let’s say an adult or "bigger" film.

awesome!!!!!!! it definately deserves it!!!!

• Reepicheep says:

I’d say it’ll come down to Alice in Wonderland, VDT and Scott Pilgrim. Such photo realistic effects in all of them!

• Big.B says:

The Dark Island scene was sooo epic and the sea serpent was just frightning,the sailing of Reepicheep was tramautizing,but I’m sure if Last Battle is eveer made,we’ll see him again.

• loverforben says:

Great! I thought the visual affects were AWSOME!

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry