This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Music: Brand-New Band, Same Old Name

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Favorite Music: Brand-New Band, Same Old Name

Postby Bookwyrm » Aug 19, 2009 1:34 pm

After an unfortunate crowd-surfing incident, the original Favorite Music thread was forced to retire. But fear not, music fans! A bold new talent has risen from the cyberspace masses, destined to take on the Favorite Music thread mantle. On its debut, you may find discussion of old favorites or discover brand new music to love. So what are you waiting for? Get posting.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Re: Favorite Music: Brand-New Band, Same Old Name

Postby 2nd to One » Sep 04, 2009 5:29 am

Crowd-surfing incident? :D

Of course my first love in music is film score... :)
I just recently got the scores for Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, and Fireproof, Return of the King, and Alexander. (The first two were largely new to me, so that was fun.) Great music on all of them!

I also recently got the 2005 Original London Cast Recording of Mary Poppins, the musical. That's great! Although I saw the show with Ashley Brown and loved her as Mary Poppins, the actress who plays her in this recording is still amazing.

Also, I'm looking forward to Celtic woman's new album, and Casting Crowns' new album!
Happy New Year!
Av & sig by me.
NWsibs: whitefox, N_B_H
RL sibs: H_L and SW_F
2nd to One
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Kate » Sep 04, 2009 8:49 am

Anberlin put out a single cover of the New Order song "True Faith" this week. I'm not familiar with the original, but I think their cover is quite excellent. It's a fun style for Anberlin to tackle. :)
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 05, 2009 2:07 am

I can't stop listening to cobra starships new album now. They have a new sound but i think it is better then there old. I know a lot of fans might disagree with me but the change was for the best.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 05, 2009 1:00 pm

Well... anyone else on this forum a Skillet fan? :-)

Also, just lately I've really liked Josh Groban's music. :ymblushing: *coughcoughcough* Hm. I mean, at first I was a little biased against him. Mostly because I saw quite a few people over-react and go on and on about how great he was, etc. So I was biased. But once I listened to some of his music, I really did enjoy it. And he does have a very nice voice, or at least, I think so. :-)
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby narnian1 » Sep 05, 2009 2:59 pm

I love Skillet's Comatose CD, the only one I've heard.
I like Hero of their new CD but the other songs haven't caught my interest just yet.

Casting Crowns I am definitely waiting for that CD,
I got the single for the new song even though I wasn't excited about it.
I love it now, I am sure the CD will be as wonderful as their first 3.

Tobymac,
I got the single City on out Knees. Wouldn't have guessed it was him if I didn't already know. Can't wait for the CD.

I just got Leeland's third CD and I am highly enjoying it.
I know it's a long way off but I am waiting for Mercy Me, Third Day, Chris Tomlin and Michael W Smith to do new CDs, (aside of greatest hits and Christmas, which Mercy Me just released of the former and Chris Tomlin is releasing of the latter).
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 05, 2009 4:53 pm

I'm listening to Year of Grace Robin Mark's newest CD. It's definitely my favorite CD of his. B-)

The only songs I have listen to by Casting Crowns, Leeland, and Third Day are their songs on the Fireproof soundtrack - or an occasional one on the radio, if I'm lucky. ;) What I have heard by these respective artists, I have enjoyed. :D I must admit, Third Day's "This is who I am" is pretty cool and LOUD; and it's on my list to burn for an exercise CD. =))

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby narnian1 » Sep 05, 2009 5:00 pm

SnowAngel,

Robin Mark- the only song of his that I know is Days of Elijah and I LOVE it. if you have a specific song(s) you'd recommend I'd happily listen.

Leeland is a great band, you should hear some of their songs, for the lyrics. (Yes You Have, Tears of the Saints, Carried to the Table, Enter This Temple among a few. Follow You and Pure Bride of the newst CD. The song they have in the Fireproof soundtrack isn't one of the best, IMO).

Casting Crowns and Third Day,
now these are two excellent groups! If you haven't heard more of them. You definitely need to. They each also have songs in Facing the Giants.
Third Day has some loud songs as you say but they also have some slower ones, such as Cry Out To Jesus, along with some worship, including King Of Glory.
Casting Crown's Slow Fade is on Fireproof and it's an excellent song.
They have alot of greats but IMO their three best are Who Am I?, East To West, and Praise You In The Storm- if you don't listen to any other atleast try those three. (Ironically their best comes one from each of the CDs they've made).
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Narnian1,
Some of my favorites are Revival, Come Heal This Land, Shout to North, Forever, and Days of Elijah. From Year of Grace I like Watchman, Glory To Your Name, Rend The Heavens, and One Day.

Thanks for recommendations, I just listened to Praise You In The Storm. It's really good. I'll have to watch on Amazon for Casting Crowns' CDs.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby narnian1 » Sep 05, 2009 5:40 pm

I will be sure to check all hose songs out, thanks for the list.
I now have Revival- 10min long but I really like it. I will play this one to no end before checking another one. It's my new thing, listening to one new song by a singer at at time. I have a list so I won't forget it.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby EdmundPevensie18 » Sep 05, 2009 6:54 pm

I love Music,

I love Christian Rock
here are some of my favorite bands

Kutless
Skillet
Jeremy Camp
Casting Crowns (more their older CD's then New)
Brandon Heath
Thousand Foot Krutch
Amy Grant's Older music and her Christmas music
I used to really love soundtracks not so much into them anymore but I still like some of them, Like Star wars has great scores, and Lotr, Narnia too.
http://agalaxyfarfaraway.proboards83.com/
EdmundPevensie18
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby EdmundPevensie18 » Sep 05, 2009 6:58 pm

Queen Susan wrote:Well... anyone else on this forum a Skillet fan? :-)

Also, just lately I've really liked Josh Groban's music. :ymblushing: *coughcoughcough* Hm. I mean, at first I was a little biased against him. Mostly because I saw quite a few people over-react and go on and on about how great he was, etc. So I was biased. But once I listened to some of his music, I really did enjoy it. And he does have a very nice voice, or at least, I think so. :-)

I love Skillet their New song "Awake and Alive" Is Awesome.
http://agalaxyfarfaraway.proboards83.com/
EdmundPevensie18
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Sep 05, 2009 7:07 pm

queen susan : i am a huge josh groban fan! i love his music and his voice is awesome! feel free to disagree but he has like the best guy-singing-voice i've heard!

i love leeland! unfortunately i don't have any of their cds but all 3 of them are on my list. my 3 fave bands (stellar kart, barlowgirl, and relient k) are all coming out with cds this fall so i'm really happy and excited! :D casting crowns and third day are great as well. i have cc's altar and the door cd and 3d's revelation cd. i love them! they're so inspirational and the lyrics are very touching and genuine.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnian1 » Sep 05, 2009 7:13 pm

EdmundPevensie18 wrote:I love Music,
Casting Crowns (more their older CD's then New)

They've only got three CDs out, not including Christmas, and live copies:
Casting Crowns, Lifesong, and The Altar and the Door- I'm surprised actually someone say they like they're older rather than new, assuming you count the third as new. It seems each new CD gains in popularity on the radio and on the charts, they keep breaking their own record.

Their latest song "Until The Whole World Hears" is off a fourth upcoming album, due out in November. I was so-so at first about it but it has already grown on me.

For me, I'm the opposite, their first CD had 3 songs I loved, then the second had 3 that I loved and one that I liked. The third CD had 5 that I loved and the rest I liked except for 1 song. So I seem to like their CDs as a whole more with each new one. Though one song from each ranks among the 3 BEST songs of theirs.

If I may ask, which don't you like?

Glenstorm the Great wrote: my 3 fave bands (stellar kart, barlowgirl, and relient k) are all coming out with cds this fall so i'm really happy and excited!

I like Stellar Kart thoug not among my faves.
Barlow Girl I love, I love the new song they have out now, Beautiful Ending,
I listen to it almost all the time. I love the lyrics so much.
I had no idea Relient K was releasing a new CD, I haven't even heard the a song off of it yet, I'll definitely be looking into that.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Bookwyrm » Sep 05, 2009 11:26 pm

I'm really looking forward to the new Relient K album. Also the new Flyleaf, although I'm not sure if that comes out this year or next spring.

I got Skillet's new CD last week. I really like about half of the songs on it. Some of them are kinda iffy though. It's Not Me It's You sounds good, but the lyrics are kind of . . . spiteful sounding. I'd rather listen to Relient K's version of the breakup song. Really don't like You Should've When You Could've. Sometimes and Hero are probably my favorites.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 06, 2009 1:23 am

Anyone ever converted an English song into another language and back into english. The results are quite funny.

here is a song that everyone should know: twinkle twinkle little star

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.
How I wonder what you are!

When the blazing sun is gone,
When there's nothing he shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, through the night.
How I wonder what you are!

In the dark blue sky so deep
Through my curtains often peep
For you never close your eyes
’Til the morning sun does rise
Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are

Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are

and here is what happened when i translated it into Italian then back into English

Flashing, flashing, little star, As I wonder what you are. Over on the world thus on, Like a diamond in the sky. Flashing, flashing, little star, As I wonder what you are! When the burning sun has gone, When there' s nothing that polishes on, therefore you exposure yours little light, Flashing, flashing, with the night. Flashing, flashing, little star, As I wonder what you are! In thus deep the dark blue sky With mine of it often stretches pigolio For you never does not close your eyes ' To work in sunlight of morning increases Flashing, flashing, little star As I wonder what you are Flashing, flashing, little star Like I wonder what you are
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Next