This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Trailer Screening at Taylor University (Jun. 5) *SPOILERS*

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Trailer Screening at Taylor University (Jun. 5) *SPOILERS*

Postby InklingsNut8472 » Jun 06, 2010 2:50 pm

Okay, I can't help myself. I just sent a spy report about this, but I wanted to go ahead and create a thread in the forum so anyone interested can discuss the report (assuming that NarniaWeb decides to post it, of course)!

This past weekend, at the Seventh Frances White Ewbank Colloquium on C.S. Lewis & Friends (held at Taylor University in Upland, IN), I was IN THE ROOM when Dr. Devin Brown of Asbury showed us a DVD of the VDT super trailer sent to Taylor by Walden Media!!! What a treat!!!!!!!!

I won't say anything more until the spy report appears, but thanks to Walden and many helpful insights by Dr. Brown, we're able to get a little bit of clarification on previous rundowns of the super trailer! (This is the same super trailer shown at the screening previously attended by Dr. Brown and NarniaWeb's Tirian).

Oh, I can't wait for this film!
~InklingsNut8472
State of Indiana, USA
Future Inhabitant of Aslan's Country

"I have come home at last. This is my real country. I belong here. This is the land I've been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now!"
InklingsNut8472
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Super Trailer Screening at Taylor University (Jun. 5)

Postby fantasia » Jun 07, 2010 7:41 am

Linkage
http://www.narniaweb.com/2010/06/dawn-treader-footage-screened-at-taylor-university/

Thanks for the report! :D

Early in their voyage, the crew will arrive at an island that is nearly deserted, because people have been disappearing from it. Gael’s parents were among those who disappeared. Apparently, finding the seven lords and seven swords will help recover the missing individuals.

Obviously the most interesting tidbit (to me anyways) when I first heard about it. Will be curious to see how this plays out.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: Trailer Screening at Taylor University (Jun. 5) *SPOILERS*

Postby adamie » Jun 07, 2010 8:02 am

InklingsNut8472 wrote:Early in their voyage, the crew will arrive at an island that is nearly deserted, because people have been disappearing from it. Gael’s parents were among those who disappeared. Apparently, finding the seven lords and seven swords will help recover the missing individuals.

They did it again! I know we heard about the seven swords subplot, but now it is confirmed that it actually is a way to save a whole bunch of people. THAT’S NOT WHAT VDT IS ABOUT! Why can’t they just make a film out of the books, instead of making up plots and characters, or reviving dead characters! I’m getting pretty worried about this film!

I don't think these are bad changes. In fact I'm pretty curious about how Gael's character plays out. But why are they necessary? What can they add to the story? And why, god, why can't filmmakers just be happy with the story they are given, instead of making all these changes?

Some of the little touches, like the Lucy-snow sequence, sound really good, I have to admit that. I'm looking forward to seeing those. But in the end, I'm still upset about all the added stuff!
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 07, 2010 8:09 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:Obviously the most interesting tidbit (to me anyways) when I first heard about it. Will be curious to see how this plays out.

Agreed, Watchful Admin. That was the newest and most interesting revelation to date. The only way we are going to find out about this will be to see VDT. :D

But someone could see VDT first and tell it (in spoilers) :-$ before others see it. It's not in the book but sounds better than some earlier things.

We now know a bit more about what happened to Gael's parents. And we also know from the MLG-Goes-Overboard video that at least one will return. :) So is the disappearance supernatural or natural (perhaps slave traders kidnapping islanders)?

Much discussion to follow... :D

P.S.
For newbies MLG = Mysterious Little Girl = Gael = new character.
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby narnialover101 » Jun 07, 2010 8:21 am

What I can't figure out is how the finding the seven swords and the seven missing lords ties into "defeating the darkness out there." They seem completely unrelated but, now that I think of it, perhaps they ARE completely unrelated. Perhaps they've added two different plots to the movie, instead of just one; one for the first half, and one for the second.

I'm really just waiting to see at this point. I know I will never be HAPPY that they've added plot lines or characters, but I could be satisfied with the adaption if most of the book is there and they still capture the spirit of it. It's certainly frustrating that they always have to make changes though; I was REALLY hoping to get a good, clean adaption this time. Guess that was too much to hope for...

Anyways, I think seeing the trailer will help solidify how I feel about the movie, so I'm glad it's coming out soon.

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Jun 07, 2010 8:22 am

I'm not very worried about all the seven-swords-lords-Gael subplots. I really do feel as though they will succesfully capture the feel of the book, and for me, that's one of the most important parts. I like the addition of Lucy looking into her mirror, and of Eustace screaming "Mother!!" instead of Alberta. :P

While I agree it'd be nice to have it JUST LIKE THE BOOK, and it's annoying that the film people MUST add in more action, I'm not freaking out about the changes as long as the rest of it (the "spirit") is okay. And it doesn't sound like the changes will COMPLETELY change things up...they're still looking for the seven Lords, it's just for a different reason.
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Lady Galadriel » Jun 07, 2010 8:30 am

Remember what Ben Barnes said about adding in new things to tie the story together. That doesn't mean I agree with bringing the White Witch again for the third time, and who knows about the seven sword addition. 8-|

I find the addition of Lucy's "foreshadowing" one of the most interesting, actually. I wonder if there's going to be much foreshadowing on her character, like with Susan in PC?

GlimGlum wrote: So is the disappearance supernatural or natural (perhaps slave traders kidnapping islanders)?

I hope it wouldn't be something supernatural! :-s
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby starkat » Jun 07, 2010 8:42 am

All I have to say at this point is... interesting.

Don't know if it's good, bad, or neutral at this point.

All I do know is I'm going to go in to the theater with the intent to enjoy the movie. After all, even if it isn't the best adaptation, we still have the books and the BBC versions. Walden hasn't let us down on the fact that both previous films have been good movies. I doubt they will on this one either. Its just the adaptation level that is in question. I'm also with Valiant_Lucy on the spirit of the story. If that's intact, it'll make it a better adaptation than PC.
starkat

Postby icarus » Jun 07, 2010 9:12 am

InklingsNut8472 wrote:Early in their voyage, the crew will arrive at an island that is nearly deserted...

Although the most likely explanation there is that its some deserted village or town on the Lone Islands from which slaves are being taken for whatever purpose, the very first thought that sprang to mind when i heard that was Burnt Island.

The idea that there may once have been some sort of human settlement on Burnt Island is one of those intriguing little details in the book that hint at some sort of greater mythology and really excite the imagination. I for one think it would be really interesting if they had maybe decided to pick up on that idea of a deserted settlement and craft it into something a little more substantial. Most likely its not, but it would be neat if it were.

Overall im not too concerned about the addition of these new subplots. I'm starting to get some idea of how they are all going to link together. And that is one of the big things we all identified beforehand as being the one of the key things to successfully adapating Dawn Treader into a movie - finding a way to tie together all the disparate episodic plot lines into one singular narrative which better fits the standard conventions of cinematic storytelling.

InklingsNut8472 wrote:Gael’s parents were among those who disappeared

That would perhaps be the first strong evidence to indicate that Rhince is not Gael's father.

However it would seem to further confirm some sort of link between the two characters, as we know that Rhince is looking for his lost wife, and it would seem likely that his wife is part of the same group of people from which Gael's parents also disappeared, if that is indeed the case.

InklingsNut8472 wrote:When the painting begins spewing water, Dr. Brown pointed out that in his fear, Eustace screams “Mother!” instead of calling her by her first name.

I'm assuming that for such a comparison to work, there would have to be at least one, if not more, earlier instances in which he does call his parents "Harold and Alberta", so that we as an audience get to understand that it is unusual for him to address them as "Mother" or "Father".

Which maybe, just maybe, is a tiny hint that Harold and Alberta might actually be in the movie afterall? Along with Ramandu, we've heard next to nothing about these characters, and no evidence to indicate either way whether they are in it or not.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Kate » Jun 07, 2010 9:22 am

NL101 wrote:I was REALLY hoping to get a good, clean adaption this time. Guess that was too much to hope for..
I was too. I think VDT is the complete package. It's epic, exciting, and endearing. I guess they didn't think it was enough.

Like most of the other people here, I'll just wait and see. Some of the smaller touches sound really nice, so I'm excited for the vision I see in those aspects which gives me hope for the greater changes.
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby RevelinginWonder » Jun 07, 2010 9:39 am

Valiant_Lucy wrote:While I agree it'd be nice to have it JUST LIKE THE BOOK, and it's annoying that the film people MUST add in more action, I'm not freaking out about the changes as long as the rest of it (the "spirit") is okay. And it doesn't sound like the changes will COMPLETELY change things up...they're still looking for the seven Lords, it's just for a different reason.

I totally agree! The book is one of my favorites... it has a strong story of redemption and victory. I hope that it doesn't disappear in all the chaos of secondary plots and new characters. I don't think it will, but one can only hope.

In the post, I also read about Reep's getting older. I love that concept... of him letting go of his self image and embracing his maturity. :)

I know this wasn't mentioned in the post about screening, but I am curious to know if they will include Eustace's transformation from a nasty boy, to a dragon, and then to a nicer boy. How could they not? I just haven't heard anything about it... :|

All in all, I am very excited to see what they do!

Thank you to Djaq for the marvelous signature!

NWeb siblings: pogginfan and Windsong!
RevelinginWonder
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Jun 07, 2010 9:48 am

RevelinginWonder wrote:I am curious to know if they will include Eustace's transformation from a nasty boy, to a dragon, and then to a nicer boy. How could they not? I just haven't heard anything about it...

http://www.narniaweb.com/2010/03/dawn-treader-plot-details/

The Undragoning:

Keller says she learned that writers originally wanted Eustace, still in dragon form, to fight a sea monster and “earn” his return to human form. But she says Flaherty, a committed Christian, “put them straight that you don’t earn grace, you receive it once you are humbled and aware of your need.”

Tirian also confirmed that, in the film, we will see Aslan ripping the dragon skin off of Eustace!

icarus wrote:
InklingsNut8472 wrote:Gael’s parents were among those who disappeared

That would perhaps be the first strong evidence to indicate that Rhince is not Gael's father.

Nice catch. Though quite some time ago, I was beginning to think that Rhince is Gael's uncle rather than father. I suppose because we know both Gael's mother and Gael's aunt were cast. Not necessarily direct evidence there, but enough to suspect another possible relationship between the two.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 07, 2010 10:33 am

Some positive additions/enhancements that I see:

Lucy looking into the mirror at Uncle Harolds and Aunt Alberta's house.

Eustace calling out to "mother" when terror strikes as the the picture comes to life and water gushes into the bedroom.

Lucy sees snow falling after opening the Magician's Book and is reminded of her first visit to Narnia.

I kind of like the idea of the guiding "blue star" and that it is probably Ramandu's Daughter.

:)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby ceppault » Jun 07, 2010 10:41 am

Thank you for the report, InklingsNut.

starkat wrote:All I have to say at this point is... interesting.
Ditto.

The one part I am most sensitive about is still in there at the end with Aslan's statement to Lucy. :D
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby RevelinginWonder » Jun 07, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks for clearing that up for me fantasia_kitty! :)

And I agree with you GlimGlum!

Thank you to Djaq for the marvelous signature!

NWeb siblings: pogginfan and Windsong!
RevelinginWonder
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Galadriel » Jun 07, 2010 11:18 am

An interesting thing about Eustace calling out to Mother is that he may usually call her Alberta, but then at a moment that he is genuinely frightened he turns back to using the word "mother." Either that, or the scriptwriters may have just decided to make him not call her by her first name at all.
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next