This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Location of Mystery - Where are the Pevensies?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

The Location of Mystery - Where are the Pevensies?

Postby Gymfan15 » Jun 17, 2010 3:37 am

So, I'm sure that by now, everyone has seen the teaser trailer, and they saw the shots of Peter and Susan, along with Lucy and Edmund at the end.

This is driving me crazy, and I'm dying to figure it out. Where on earth (or Narnia :p ) are they, and what are they doing?

If anyone has any ideas or theories, lay them on.

This cap seems to give the best idea of where they're at (and yes, that means that you really can't tell. :p ;) ) I can identify a golden banner, red pillars edged in gold with some sort of grating/detailing, pruned shrubbery and very faintly, trees in the background. I've consulted the other shots of this clip to come to that conclusion.

So, where do you think they are, and most importantly, what do you think they're doing? It's so very different from anything we were expecting and it's obviously a big departure from the book, so the possibilities are limitless.

Ahh, I think I'm going crazy! ;)
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Re: The Location of Mystery - Where are the Pevensies?

Postby Beginte » Jun 17, 2010 3:55 am

Hmm, first off, as much as some would like to burn me alive for stating that (just kidding! I hope... ;) ), I am very happy to see Susan and Peter in the picture. I loved the trio of Caspian, Susan and Peter equally since reading the books and always missed Peter and Susan in VoDT. I am curious what they're doing there, I have an idea and I'll be very much content if it proves right :D

Indeed, they're in Narnian clothes, suggesting they popped out somewhere perhaps by Aslan's willing? His words "You have returned for a reason" might (just might) be also referring actually to Peter and Susan, since Edmund and Lucy were supposed to come back.

It doesn't seem Aslan's Country because of something akin to buildings in the back. Perhaps Ramandu's Island? But that waaay doesn't make sense and as much as I welcome most changes, I'd actually wince. Perhaps it is somewhere before Aslan's Country... or maybe, just maybe... after it.

I'll brainstorm more and pop by with a scream when I think of sth more.

Gymfan, the opener of the thread - what do you think? :)
I've seen the movie 9 times!!! (PC)
I've seen the movie 7 times!!! (VoDT) And loved it!
Proud member of the C+S club
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Raticus » Jun 17, 2010 3:55 am

I for one think it's a flashback to when the Pevensies were growing up in Narnia. As to where they are, perhaps the Lone Islands when they were loyal to the Narnian crown?
Raticus
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby tenthofthatname » Jun 17, 2010 3:55 am

After watching the trailer more than a dozen times I feel like those blocks have the same design as the pillars in Coriakin's house, just in different colors. I have no idea what that means. I also think the Pevensies have a strange look in their eyes, I don't know it feels like they're not all there? They're walking towards something but their expressions feel like they don't know where or what for...which makes me think this is part of some kind of illusion. It could be the lighting or editing that makes it appear this way to me though.
tenthofthatname
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Beginte » Jun 17, 2010 4:06 am

Raticus and tenthofthatname, great ideas! Gosh, I feel lame ;))

Indeed, it could be a flashback, though I also don't have an idea why would it come and where would it fit. I'd much rathet to see two of my three favourite characters 'in person' rather than in flashback, too :)

As per the illusion, it is a good idea also! The eerie, haunted look in their eyes is indeed something I've wondered about, yet if you recall, after Caspian drank the water from the sweet sea, he was described to have a strange look about him, and that the sea and approaching light worked so on everyone - perhaps this is an indication it is 'real' and located somewhere close to the end of their Voyage? The question is, where Peter and Susan come from.
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby tenthofthatname » Jun 17, 2010 4:14 am

I can't say I have absolute favorites but Caspian, Peter, and Susan are pretty high up on the list. As a fan of that trio I'd like to see them meet again in person. PC the film sort of established that Caspian interacted the most with Peter and Susan, whereas his interaction with Lucy and Ed was pretty minimal. That's why I feel having the three meet again in VDT would disrupt the story because VDT should really work to cement Caspian's friendship with Ed and Lu, and of course Eustace. If I could have things my way, Peter and Susan would be there to tell Caspian not to abandon the throne. We see him going across the Silver Sea so it sort of implies Aslan didn't tell him to turn back yet. At the same time, PC shut the door on Peter and Susan, it would make Aslan look strange to say one thing then do another. It's hard trying to balance what I want as a fan of the characters and what I think makes a good story.
tenthofthatname
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Gymfan15 » Jun 17, 2010 4:17 am

Well, it's not a flashback in the strictest sense, since Edmund and Lucy are wearing their VdT clothes. (And for all we know, Eustace is doing the Walk'n'Swagger too; they just might not have shown him).

I do agree that it's very possible that this scene doesn't take place in the confines of "reality" as it's meant out to be; it could be a sort of dream, vision, whatever. In which case, the "where" wouldn't be as so important as the "why" would be. I would say that they all look a bit too "grungy" for this to be any sort of real formal, monarchy related event.

As for what I think is going on in that clip, I really have no more idea than any of you do. That's why I started this thread; so we could speculate and maybe feed off of each others ideas and observations.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Narnia_Maniac » Jun 17, 2010 4:33 am

I just think it's going to be a sort of Pevensie goodbye moment at the end of the film. Their "epic" walk could symbolize their walking back to our world, to continue their journey here and get to know Aslan's second name. ;) I know it might sound ridiculous but hey, I'm pulling at straws here.

And to be honest, I don't think I'll be particularly mad if it's the case. As long as it doesn't come across as a cheesy-beyond-words sort of thing, it could give the whole Pevensie storyline a good closure and a memorable moment. It would also tell the audience, "Say your goodbyes to these four heroes, cos it's new ones from now on!"

I dunno... it still remains a very puzzling thing indeed. :-?

hmmmm...
Even if you don't believe in God...
He still believes in you.
I Support Scrubb!
Narnia_Maniac
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Beginte » Jun 17, 2010 5:08 am

A good idea! I had something alike to that on my mind, but didn't voice it, heh. But I like it, sort of bringing them once more for one, final, complete goodbye... how very sad! :(( But also very possible and in some way, Narnia-like. A bit like a tie to the LB where we see everyone again just because we say goodbye. It could be, and if that's true, I'm sure it will be done in a nice style :)
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby decarus » Jun 17, 2010 5:14 am

Though what Edmund is wearing is not what he is wearing in Aslan's country. We can't really see Lucy to tell what she is wearing. If i had to pick i would say it is Lucy's dream.

PS. Oh and i am fine with them tricking people into seeing the film because i want them to make more Narnia films.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Bookwyrm » Jun 17, 2010 5:33 am

And what happens if they alienate the non-book fans enough with their deceptive ad campaigns that they don't support SC?
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Beginte » Jun 17, 2010 5:35 am

Well... a film based on a book is always a rendition. I go to see a film to see new ideas and takes on things. For seeing a story truly and faitfully, I open the book and watch mesmerized as it sprngs to life before my very eyes :)

Non-book fans might come out of curiosity, I hope they do. I don't see anything discouraging about Peter and Susan coming back, while deception of teasers is nowadays worked to be an art of advertisement, so...
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby lysander » Jun 17, 2010 7:00 am

The colors in the background look very Narnian to me. Cair Paravel?
~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~
lysander
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ceppault » Jun 17, 2010 7:18 am

Were this a betting website, I would wager on the scene coming from Coriakin's spell book. That whole the-way-things-were-happy-days-warm-and-fuzzy ... thing ... spell ... something ... yeah ... that.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lirenel » Jun 17, 2010 8:25 am

I think it's most likely Coriakin's spell book, or a departing scene at the End of the World. But a less likely option is that this takes place when the Dark Island disappears - maybe Aslan is walking in their midst, like at the LWW coronation, the people on the ship see Aslan and the sovereigns of the Golden Age as the Dark Island recedes, than maybe the kings and queens disappear leaving Aslan and then Aslan disappears and it's clear, calm water.

I know, unlikely, but still a viable option, I think.
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

My overview of VODT: http://lady-lirenel.livejournal.com/151965.html
Lirenel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bother Eustace » Jun 17, 2010 8:44 am

I've completely convinced myself that this is merely some sort of flash back scene (and believe me, you won't want to be nearby if THAT bubble is ever burst... :-o ). As far as when such a flashback takes place, I'm clueless. Coriakin's spellbook seems possible... maybe. Or perhaps it's a memory back to a time when Narnian harbors were filled with gallant Narnian ships; in the book Lucy does make reference to such. *shrugs* who knows?
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next