This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ramandu's daughter/Lilliandil - Laura Brent

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Ramandu's daughter - Laura Brent

Postby fantasia » Jun 01, 2010 10:57 am

Alrighty, I've been allowed to post this and Tirian can confirm from when he saw the footage a few months ago. Ramandu's Daughter does indeed have a name in this movie. Her name is Lilliandil. :) There's a little bit more information surrounding that name, but I'm going to hold off on sharing it til I get the all clear. :)

And yes, I'll be posting the story here in a bit, but I'm doing some more research at the moment. ;)

ETA: Ok, I double checked and was given the ok to share... Douglas Gresham was the person who came up with the name. :) I love it! :ymapplause:
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby starkat » Jun 01, 2010 11:00 am

Its a great name. Something not typical and a bit lyrical. It definitely fits well with other Narnian names like Ramandu and Coriakin.
starkat

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 01, 2010 11:31 am

Good point starkat: Lilliandill does go along nicely with the other names. And I'm glad it was Douglas Gresham who got to name her; most fitting and appropriate. :ymapplause:

So there it is, an official RD name: Lilliandill. I do believe I like it. I wonder if the Lily type flowers or petals of the Silver Sea were an influence or inspiration? :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 01, 2010 11:52 am

I like the name! it's so cool! very nice choice, Mr. Gresham! :ymapplause:
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby narnialover101 » Jun 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Pretty good name. I'm really sort of indifferent about them giving Ramandu's daughter a name; I would have been okay if they hadn't but I'm okay that they did too. Don't think it affects the story at all.

*is undoubtedly going to be impaled with tomatoes for not knowing whether it's "affect" or "effect"*

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby fantasia » Jun 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Ever since they named the Witch's Dwarf in LWW, I had a gut feeling they'd name Ramandu's Daughter. And so they did. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Lady Galadriel » Jun 01, 2010 12:13 pm

It's a very pretty name. I had a feeling it would be something flowery. ;)) While I wasn't really wanting her to get a name (I feel it takes away from her mystery in the book), I think it does fit her character. Very nice choice, Mr. Gresham! :ymapplause:
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby daughter of the King » Jun 01, 2010 12:14 pm

I must admit I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I really like her name, and I wouldn't have wanted anyone but Douglas Gresham to name her. On the other hand, I didn't want her to have a name. Now she'll need a character to go with the name. In the book, she doesn't really have much character development, and so a name wasn't needed. However, I was expecting that she would have to be named for the movie, so I was prepared for it. I do like it, even if I didn't want it. I think I'm contradicting myself.
GlimGlum wrote:I wonder if the Lily type flowers or petals of the Silver Sea were an influence or inspiration? :)

I was wondering that myself.

DamselJillPole wrote:I hope RD's role is expanded on Ramandu Island. I hope it's 12 minutes longer then the BBC version so we can get an idea that Caspian is falling for this girl.

And I hope she doesn't have more. If they expand the romance, it will take away from the voyage. Besides, in the book it's basically Caspian thinks she's pretty and she smiles at him. It's not really a romance, although it is extremely sweet.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby fantasia » Jun 01, 2010 12:26 pm

I really liked 'Lucy' suggestion on the front page comments.

Lilliandil looks a little bit, to me, like her son’s name, "Rilian"

daughter of the King wrote:Besides, in the book it's basically Caspian thinks she's pretty and she smiles at him.
I disagree with you a little bit here. At least regarding Caspian. I felt Lewis was rather obvious showing that Caspian had fallen head over heels for RD. Aside from him trying to steal a kiss from her to wake the sleeping Lords ;)) she is the only reason holding him back from sailing to Aslan's Country at the end of the world. At least before Aslan talks to him.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Reepicheep775 » Jun 01, 2010 12:32 pm

narnialover101 wrote:Pretty good name. I'm really sort of indifferent about them giving Ramandu's daughter a name; I would have been okay if they hadn't but I'm okay that they did too. Don't think it affects the story at all.

*is undoubtedly going to be impaled with tomatoes for not knowing whether it's "affect" or "effect"*

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)

How do you impale someone with a tomato? :p

If they were going to give Ramandu's Daughter a name, I'm glad Douglas Gresham made it. I would rather they left her nameless if only to give her another layer of mystery, but it's not a big deal and I really like the name Lilliandil. Can't complain. :)
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Bother Eustace » Jun 01, 2010 12:33 pm

I really like the name Lilliandil; it fits well, I think. I'm also glad they named her; I don't think I would have liked having her just be called "Ramandu's Daughter" in the movie. I do, however, understand why some people may have preferred her to remain unnamed; after all, Lewis intentionally didn't give her a name while other characters in the series who have even smaller parts do get named (Like the three dwarfs Shasta meets when he enters Narnia, to name an example). However, I don't think it would have worked in a movie to have a main character fall deeply and madly in love with a character who we know nothing about, not even a name. As an audience, we feel attached to these characters, and we want to know these sort of things in more detail. All the Caspian fangirls out there need a name to vent rage upon in Fanfics, after all. (Just a joke!!!)

It does sound like Rilian, as others pointed out. I like that. I also like that it is reminiscent of the Lilies at the end of the world.
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lady_Liln » Jun 01, 2010 12:36 pm

I kinda would have rathered that she was unnamed, but I'm happy with Lilliandil. It has a lovely, light feeling to it. The fact that Douglas Gresham came up with it comforts me too. :p I've been expecting to see a name, so I'm not shocked by the news. And, in the long run, it doesn't change whether or not Laura Brent is going to give a wonderful performance as Ramandu's Daughter, nor will it make the film a blockbuster. So, I'm content for now. :p

daughter of the King wrote:I wouldn't have wanted anyone but Douglas Gresham to name her.
Well, I would have preferred C. S. Lewis, if someone had to. But, Douglas Gresham is my second choice. ;) :)

Edit: I love the feature warning me that someone posted recently and I may have missed it, but this is the third time I've hit submit! :p
Lady_Liln
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » Jun 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Words can't say how glad I am that they have given her a name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :ymapplause: I am completely overjoyed!!!!! I like the name well enough. It beats having no name in my eyes.
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby daughter of the King » Jun 01, 2010 12:46 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:I felt Lewis was rather obvious showing that Caspian had fallen head over heels for RD. Aside from him trying to steal a kiss from her to wake the sleeping Lords ;)) she is the only reason holding him back from sailing to Aslan's Country at the end of the world. At least before Aslan talks to him.

Caspian is definitely head-over-heels in love, there's no disputing that. But other than the Sleeping Beauty line and when he tells her he wants to see her again not much happens. I guess I didn't say it quite right. What I meant was not a lot of "romance" happens. It's very understated. They're "romance" looks more like this: :) :ymdaydream: , than this: @};- :-*. Does that make sense?

Lady_Liln wrote:Well, I would have preferred C. S. Lewis, if someone had to. But, Douglas Gresham is my second choice. ;) :)

;))
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby PrincessMia241 » Jun 01, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm glad she got a name :) And it's pretty, I love it. Think of it this way, maybe she's sad at being such an important character and doesn't have a name! I wonder if CS Lewis did think of one just decided not to use it.

She's barely in the books, and so yeah no name added to her mysteriousness. But if she's going to be in the movie longer than five minutes I think it's necessary. It would make it easier to reference her later on, then just by Star's Daughter or RD alone.

And I hope they expand the romance :) Don't kill me haha! The books had very little romance at all, which is totally fine as the characters were all younger. C.S. Lewis wasn't writing chick lit. But since the movie characters are a older, it makes more sense: as long as it's sweet and innocence and not a main theme (which I doubt it will be). I, for one, would be disappointed with a "I hope I'll see you again, bye!! *smiles*"
avy by narniagirl90
PrincessMia241
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Jun 01, 2010 12:49 pm

I'm okay with this, but I certainly don't like the name. Lilliandil? It's like Lillian and then the herb dill. Plus it sounds like Tolkien. Quite original, I'm sure. 8-|

At least I like the name Lillian. I wonder how it's intoned. Lill-ee-an-DILL or Lilly-ON-dill, or what?
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

PreviousNext