This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Music: Brand-New Band, Same Old Name

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Favorite Music: Brand-New Band, Same Old Name

Postby narnian1 » Sep 08, 2009 8:33 pm

MissAravis wrote:I'm seeing talk of Casting Crowns! The first 4-5 tracks on their debut album and Lifesong are my favorites. I love East to West too, but it's the only song I've heard from The Altar and the Door. I should really look up more of their songs from that album. I've heard Slow Fade is good, but never listened to it...

You haven't heard The Altar and the Door CD?! Wow, overall I think it's their best CD, not necessarily are the songs ALL the best, but as a compilation it sure plays out the best IMO. Slow Fade is an amazing song, as is its video. But there are many other great songs in that CD, The Word is Alive is another highlight of it. In my opinion its title track is amazing, but my brother doesn't care for it much.

MissAravis wrote:Obviously, my favorite band is Tenth Avenue North. ;)) They are just awesome... every single song on Over and Underneath is great.

I've heard only three,
Love is Here which was the first and it's a great song,
By Your Side which is far better, my favorite of theirs so far- and by FAR!
Times which grew on my, wonderful song as well.

MissAravis wrote:Another favorite is Relient K! I enjoy listening to their older albums in the more pop/punk style as well as the newer albums, including Five Score which some call "overproduced", and even The Bird and The Bee Sides with its country leanings.

of their older, I only like College Kids, but even that doesn't compare to what came later. MMHHMM is the first full CD I head and enjoyed by them, (Who I Am hates Who I've been was actually the very first I heard from them, By My Escape and High of 75 which are my favorites of that CD). Five Score has my favorite of ALL their songs, Forgiven, and it has two others I greatly enjoy, Must Have Done Something Right and Give Until There's Nothing Left.
The Birds and the Bee Sides has two songs only that I have heard an enjoy: At Least We Made it this Far and I Just Want You to Know, which is my favorite of the two.

Only one other song I like from them, and it took me some time to find.
It was a song they wrote in hopes of making the 2005 Music Inspired By Narnia LWW CD, but they were never asked so they released it on their own CD. The song is titled In Like a Lion (Always Winter), and it sure makes me think of Narnia when I listen to it; I feel it would have gone well with the CD.

I also read that Newsboys wrote a song for that Cd as well but also didn't make it, I've searched for said song but still haven't found it though :(
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MissAravis » Sep 08, 2009 8:59 pm

narnian1 wrote:Wow, overall I think it's their best CD, not necessarily are the songs ALL the best, but as a compilation it sure plays out the best IMO.
Haha, okay, you've convinced me! I'll buy the whole album! :p I do really feel out of it for not knowing any of the other songs on it....

narnian1 wrote:Times which grew on my, wonderful song as well.
Ah yes, I thought that one was strange the first time I listened to it because of the lack of...well, lyrics, in the chorus, but when it got to the bridge I fell in love with it. It's definitely a favorite of mine now. Seriously though, all of their songs are so good. You MUST get the whole album! Or at least listen to it :)

About Relient K... yeah, same here. Most of their older stuff I don't necessarily care for every single song on the album. MMHMM and Five Score and Seven Years Ago are my two favorite albums by them, because each only has one song I don't like ;)) My favorites from those 2 albums are their hits, obviously (Be My escape, Who I Am Hates Who I've Been, Must Have Done Something Right, The Best Thing) but I also love High of 75, Which to Bury; Us or the Hatchet?, When I Go Down(the guitar=beautiful), Forgiven, Come Right Out and Say It, Bite My Tongue, and I LOVE I'm Taking You With Me. But yeah, those two albums are totally amazing!
Ah! Always Winter is GORGEOUS! It's one of my favorite Relient K songs. (if it could be possible to have any more favorite songs by them :p)
From The Bird and The Bee Sides, if you haven't heard them, I would recommend listening to There Was No Thief (it's AMAZING, has an incredibly beautiful chorus and hardly anyone seems to know about it) and Here I Go is nice and catchy. Do you like The Lining is Silver? Oh yeah, another great one from TBATBS is "The Last, The Lost, The Least." John Warne wrote it and sings in it.

Edit: Just remembered another song you should listen to. ;)) From their Apathetic EP, it's called Apathetic Way To Be. It's pretty sweet.
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby checkers » Sep 08, 2009 9:15 pm

I love anything Casting Crowns! I'm asking for the sheet music book of Lifesong for Christmas. Anyone here like American Dream? That one has an amazing message. That's the main thing I like about them, they actually have messages in their songs. Prayer for a Friend and Here I go Again...just wow...I love Casting Crowns...and need I mention Praise You in this Storm, Voice of Truth, or Who am I? :)

Anyone here a Linkin Park fan? I've recently discovered a few of their songs, like Numb, In the End, What I've done, and Somewhere I belong. They are so amazing!!! In the End is probably my favorite one that I've heard so far. Their videos are weird and don't make sense whatsoever (but then not many do), but I love their music!
Co-president of the BGMCA club. <--- don't remember what that was but I left it for the nostalgia
Buds: 5, Twin Blank! <--- also don't remember who Twin Blank was. Find me if you're out there, lost one.
checkers
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 09, 2009 6:01 am

thought i would list my top 10 fav bands since i haven't done so for a while

1. Fall out boy
2. Cobra starship
3. cute is what we aim for
4. The academy is...
5. Green Day
6. panic at the disco
7. gym class heros
8. jimmy eat world
9. to be decided
10. to be decided
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby narnian1 » Sep 09, 2009 9:58 am

MissAravis wrote:Haha, okay, you've convinced me! I'll buy the whole album! :p

oh now the pressure's on me :-s
I really do hope you enjoy the CD once you get it, I've no doubt you will.

MissAravis wrote:Seriously though, all of their songs are so good. You MUST get the whole album! Or at least listen to it :)

I already have the album on my list to buy, once I do I'll be sure to post what I think of it.

MissAravis wrote:About Relient K...
From The Bird and The Bee Sides, if you haven't heard them, I would recommend listening to There Was No Thief and Here I Go is nice and catchy. Do you like The Lining is Silver? Oh yeah, another great one from TBATBS is "The Last, The Lost, The Least." Edit: Just remembered another song you should listen to. ;)) From their Apathetic EP, it's called Apathetic Way To Be.

I'll give those a listen soon, I have been wanting something "new" of them to listen to. Which ONE do you recommend most? If I like it I will buy it today. (I'm trying to listen to one new at a time per artist). I've never heard The Lining is Silver.

checkers wrote:I love anything Casting Crowns! Anyone here like American Dream? Prayer for a Friend and Here I go Again...just wow...I love Casting Crowns...and need I mention Praise You in this Storm, Voice of Truth, or Who am I? :)

Have never heard American Dream even though I have it,
my brother has told me it's nice though. PfaF I love the lyrics but not the way it's sung. Haven't heard that other one. and those last three are definitely awesome songs with great lyrics.

And if you all haven't already, you need to see them in concert. excellent.
I've also been to two of Chris Tomlin's concerts, Switchfoot, and two Wayfest.
Wayfest, has various artists. I've seen Leeland, Matt Redman, Seventh Day Slumber, TobyMac, Superchick (twice), Relient K, After Edmund (though Iwasn't much into them at the time), Pillar. I've seen my share of concerts. all great but none like Chris Tomlin and Casting Crowns.

Oh and with Switchfoot,
I got to hear them sing This is Home from Prince Caspian,
before the soundtrack ever released, before even the movie released.
When they gave the intro speaking of Narnia I grew excited and told my friends to be quiet so that I could listen carefully to the song- instant love :)

IloveFauns wrote:5. Green Day

not really into those groups myself but I have heard one of Green Day's song and liked it alot. It's a bit old now but it's the only one I really know and I don't think I ever even knew the proper name, Time of Your Life, I think it's called.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 09, 2009 3:05 pm

narnian1 (or, I think so) wrote:i haven't listened to the new skillet cd yet but i read the lyrics of some of the songs, i liked monster and lucy. i have to admit though i'm a bit prejudiced against them because they have some screaming and they're like hard rock.
Mm, yeah. Lucy is awesome. :-) I wouldn't call them a "screamo" band... (Not wording you used, I know, but I know someone who did.) Some of their songs are really "calm." They do have a few that are a bit "harder", but I wouldn't say it's too bad. :p Personal preference I guess.

Oh, and I listened to Beautiful Ending. Though I'm not a humongous fan of BarlowGirl, I liked it. :-)
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 09, 2009 4:05 pm

ok my number 9 and ten

9. The cab
10. Death Cab For Cutie

really close names i know.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby MissAravis » Sep 09, 2009 8:06 pm

narnian1: Okay, I'll just try to pick ONE song :p ... I'd say There Was No Thief is my favorite of those. Youtube doesn't have the correct version but if you search for it on playlist.com you should be able to listen to the whole thing. The chorus is awesome.
And wow, you've heard tons of artists live. The only group I've heard live is Tenth Avenue North, and that was just last Saturday. ;))
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnian1 » Sep 09, 2009 8:11 pm

MissAravis wrote:narnian1: Okay, I'll just try to pick ONE song :p ... I'd say There Was No Thief is my favorite of those. Youtube doesn't have the correct version but if you search for it on playlist.com you should be able to listen to the whole thing. The chorus is awesome.
And wow, you've heard tons of artists live. The only group I've heard live is Tenth Avenue North, and that was just last Saturday. ;))

thanks for the one,
I'll be checking the other ones out too at a later date though.
the concerts, I didn't list all artists either. But it's not that I've gone to so many,
Wayfest itself brings about 6-10 in just one day. Oh I forgot to say, I also got to see Skillet live! ;)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 10, 2009 12:58 am

I was meant to go see fall out boy live in February but i didn't happen i couldn't get to Perth. Oh well maybe i will be able to go next time or to cobra starship or green day with dad.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Silvertongue » Sep 10, 2009 5:11 am

Does anyone here like the band UntilJune? :D One of my top favorites!! And NickelCreek??

My favorite groups/bands would have to be...

TobyMac
UntilJune
Superchick
BarlowGirl
NickelCreek
Celtic Woman
Skillet
Some Switchfoot
CastingCrowns
Image Image Image
Silvertongue
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Danny93 » Sep 10, 2009 12:57 pm

Okay, I have so many groups that I love and listen to a lot, but I'll try to keep it to a few and not totally freak out....

I listen to a lot of up-beat Christian bands, I don't know if you would call them rock or not, but their cool. Such as, Chris Tomlin, The David Crowder Band, Jars of Clay, Newsboys, Toby Mac, and DC Talk... Those are probably my favorite Christian artists. I used to like Casting Crowns more than I do now.... Their songs can get very repetitive and I don't pull their cd's out a whole lot anymore... :(
But lately I've started to really really like listening to more Classical stuff, or Celtic... :)

Celtic Thunder and Celtic Woman have to be some of my absolute favorites out there! And then Josh Groban is amazing.... Hayley Westenra, who was with Celtic Woman, is so good, and Andrea Bocelli's Because We Believe is so good!

I like country too, Taylor Swift is so cool, i love all of her songs! :)

I like a very wide range! lol
"Just like the storm is rolling over this ocean, so is thunder rolling into the hearts of the Celtic People." ~Alistair Dempsey
Rolling Thunder
Avvy by flambeau!!! Join me in making October your denial month! PM me for more information....
Danny93
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnian1 » Sep 10, 2009 2:30 pm

Silvertongue wrote:Does anyone here like the band UntilJune? And NickelCreek??

Never heard of either one, are they christian groups?

Danny93 wrote:Such as, Chris Tomlin, The David Crowder Band, Jars of Clay, Newsboys, Toby Mac, and DC Talk... I used to like Casting Crowns more than I do now.... Their songs can get very repetitive :(

Chris Tomlin I like alot since his Arriving CD, only one song pre-that album do I like of his. David Crowder has some amazing songs but for me, as a whole I overshadow them with other groups even though I do listen to them frequently. I tend to forget them if I make a list of who I like. Jars of Clay has a handful of great songs, my favorite of theirs is The Valley Song. Newsboys has many songs that I like, though their latest CD has only one song I like, though not as much as previous works- and I am not a huge fan of their early work either- I think it's from He Reigns to present that I mostly like. Toby Mac I enjoy, his best so far for me is Portable Sounds though I also like 4 songs that he did prior to that and I love his latest single. DC Talk has only three songs I like and of course Jesus Freak is the best.

Casting Crowns repetitive, I never noticed if they are- I love their music so much I guess it doesn't matter much if the message is similar. :)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Silvertongue » Sep 10, 2009 3:04 pm

narnian1 wrote:
Silvertongue wrote:Does anyone here like the band UntilJune? And NickelCreek??

Never heard of either one, are they christian groups?

Both are Christian groups (though NickelCreek, I believe is no longer together...), although NickelCreek wasn't quite so openly Christian. :) NickelCreek is bluegrassy while itunes labels UntilJune as rock...not as rocky as some though. ;)
Image Image Image
Silvertongue
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Sep 11, 2009 6:21 pm

I love Relient K so much! I'm gonna see them in concert next month I'm so excited!!! :D It will be my first real concert.

missaravis: which songs don't you like? on the rk cds...
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 11, 2009 6:48 pm

I like:

Chris Tomlin
Relient K
pureNRG
BarlowGirl
LeeLand
David Crowder Band
Here are some singers. I really like their singing, but not necessarily their songs:

Taylor Swift (too much love in her songs. She's a talented singer, though.)
Demi Lovato (same as Swift.)
Regina Spektor
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext