This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Music: Brand-New Band, Same Old Name

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Favorite Music: Brand-New Band, Same Old Name

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 12, 2009 1:10 am

Taylor swift is alright i guess but most of her songs sound the same to me.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby MissAravis » Sep 12, 2009 6:17 am

narnian1: No problem. :p And if you ever wanna check out one more Tenth Avenue North song that you haven't heard, I'd say listen to Hold My Heart.
Oh, and ditto, I haven't noticed that Casting Crowns is repetitive... in fact, their music is a lot less repetitive than some groups. And their lyrics are the best part!

NickelCreek... iTunes actually called them rock. ;)) I thought that was funny when I looked a couple days ago. The only song I've heard is "This Side", and it's a good one.

Glenstorm the Great: That's amazing that you get to hear Relient K! :) Well, it's not really that I don't LIKE some of the songs, because in all honesty, I really like all of them, it's just, some of them aren't as amazing as others. :p For a few random examples, I'm not a huge fan of Ethan Luck singing in his song "No Reaction." And while some of the filler songs are hilariously entertaining, they aren't "good songs" as one would normally think. (though that's not the point of them anyway). And mainly, it's stuff on their older albums that I don't necessarily like as well (a lot of the choruses can be repetitive) - I'm Lion-O (extremely repetitive), What have You Been Doing Lately, Hoopes I Did It Again, etc. I don't mind the repetitive choruses sometimes, I actually like it in Nothing Without You from their latest album, although it reflects their older style.

Great list NaiadWalker! Chris Tomlin is basically a legend in my opinion. ;)) He has so many great worship songs. Regina Spektor - her songs can be really weird, but that's what makes her unique. Sometimes her voice is the same way.
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 12, 2009 8:09 am

*pokes head in* I always thought Nickel Creek (two words ;) ) was Bluegrass/Americana. It kind of depends on which album, though, I guess. Nickel Creek is more folk and bluegrass-y, This Side is mainly bluegrass, and Why Should the Fire Die? is more...well, it's a different style from the first two. Sorry, I'm terrible at classifying music. :P That said, I don't think I would've classified Nickel Creek as Christian---at least not in the way it's usually meant. They're not something like...oh, eh...Tenth Avenue North or Casting Crowns or such that are 'overtly' Christian. The band members may be Christians (I can't quite recall), but it doesn't come out in their music really in lyrics or such, if that makes sense? :ymblushing:

At any rate, their first two albums are my favorite. I like some songs on the third, but only a handful really. :ymblushing: This Side, Green and Gray, Beauty and the Mess, Seven Wonders, When You Come Back Down, First and Last Waltz, Stumptown, Robin and Marian, The Lighthouse's Tale, Sweet Afton, Pastures New, and The House of Tombombadil are all 'favourites'. :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby narnian1 » Sep 12, 2009 8:24 am

MissAravis wrote:narnian1: No problem. :p And if you ever wanna check out one more Tenth Avenue North song that you haven't heard, I'd say listen to Hold My Heart.

listening to the top 20 now, for the first time is some time- usually I just check which songs made the list. In this radio station By Your Side has been #1 since the beginning of the year, though it was knocked down for a while by The Motions. Hold My Heart has now been on the countdown for two weeks. It's coming up soon so I shall hear it today for the first time.

Edit-
listening to it now:
It's a nice song but I'd have to listen to it more to know what I really think of it.
I think I'll wait til I get the whole CD.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Sep 12, 2009 7:13 pm

naiadwalker: i'm with you. taylor swift and demi lovato have beautiful voices and styles of music but they sing to much about that one subject- love.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Love. I'm fine with some songs about it, but sometime's it's just over-the-top! The breakups, falling in love at first sight... ICK. Too much in today's music!!!
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 14, 2009 3:17 am

I have noticed that if your not a fan of a certain type of music you think all the songs sound very similar. Like me and classical. Some people say my songs all sound the same but i don't think so because i am a fan of punk rock. I honestly don't know how someone can think a fall out boy song sound the same as a cute is what we aim for song.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Kate » Sep 14, 2009 9:48 am

Silvertongue: I like Until June quite a lot. I think they're very talented, though I was a bit disappointed by their most recent EP.

I was exposed to The Strokes and more of The Postal Service this past week and like them quite a lot! I think Franz Ferdinand owes a lot to The Strokes.
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 14, 2009 2:15 pm

IloveFauns wrote:I have noticed that if your not a fan of a certain type of music you think all the songs sound very similar. Like me and classical. Some people say my songs all sound the same but i don't think so because i am a fan of punk rock. I honestly don't know how someone can think a fall out boy song sound the same as a cute is what we aim for song.

Well, I'm a classical fan, but people who don't like that think it is all the same.
If you're actually listening, which is what the fans do, you can distinguish differences. But if you just don't care, you say, "Ah, it's classical, all the same." So I agree with what you're saying; since I am not a rock fan, I think all rock sounds the same: loud. (No offense to any big rock fans, but I prefer softer tones.)
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 14, 2009 4:11 pm

Every time someone says classical i think of sitting in one of those theaters wear you go to watch operas but people playing classical music on stage. I basically like punk pop and punk rock.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby narnian1 » Sep 14, 2009 4:39 pm

NaiadWaker wrote:Well, I'm a classical fan...

any good recommendations of classical music?
I have some Bach, Beethoven that I love, among some other well known names that escape me.

Fur Elise naturally is a favorite of mine, as is Moonlight Sonata.
I love the Toccata is Fugue in D Minor. I love the Cello Suite that was used in Master and Commander/Music of the Heart/The Secret Life of Bees/ trailer to The Soloist. 8-}

I'd like to get some others,
I do have 6 discs that go from the oldest to the most modern era,
haven't head all though yet, even though I've had it for some years.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 14, 2009 7:51 pm

narnian1 wrote:
NaiadWaker wrote:
IloveFauns wrote:Well, I'm a classical fan...

any good recommendations of classical music?
I have some Bach, Beethoven that I love, among some other well known names that escape me.

Fur Elise naturally is a favorite of mine, as is Moonlight Sonata.
I love the Toccata is Fugue in D Minor. I love the Cello Suite that was used in Master and Commander/Music of the Heart/The Secret Life of Bees/ trailer to The Soloist. 8-} .

Bach, Handel, and Beethoven are my favorite composers. Moonlight Sonata is brilliant!
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 15, 2009 1:49 am

Lol i don't think i wrote I'm a classical fan(because i am not) i think here was a mix up when quoting. Today i was listening to gym class heroes and i realized how random their lyrics are.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby narnian1 » Sep 15, 2009 4:58 am

IloveFauns wrote:Lol i don't think i wrote I'm a classical fan(because i am not) i think here was a mix up when quoting.

yeah,
I quote a post Naiadwaker made and then edited to get that quote alone,
I just forgot to remove your name when from said quote.

I went and edited my post so that you didn't appear anymore ;)
Nothing I can do about Naiad's though.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian1993 » Sep 15, 2009 10:32 am

I like classical, some country, Christian contemporary, and soundtracks!!!
I have most movie soundtracks. I listen to Brandon Heath, Casting Crowns, Jeremy Camp, Switchfoot, Chris Tomlin,Tenth Avenue North, Third Day, Lincoln Brewster, TobyMac, Steven Curtis Chapman, and, of course, the Narnia soundtracks!!!!! =))
In fact, as I write this, I'm listening to Wunderkind on the LWW soundtrack!! :D
~You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.~ C. S. Lewis
Narnian1993
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby MissAravis » Sep 15, 2009 6:55 pm

narnian1 wrote:I have some Bach, Beethoven that I love, among some other well known names that escape me.
Bach is a genius. He's like no other. He's not my favorite composer, but I gotta say he's definitely one of the best composers. I love his preludes and fugues.

Some of my other favorite composers are Mendelssohn, Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, Debussy, Schumann, and Brahms (don't tell my brother -- he is obsessed with Brahms and I pretend to hate Brahms just because he likes Brahms so much). =))
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

PreviousNext