This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Growing Pains: Feedback on the New Forum

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Growing Pains: Feedback on the New Forum

Postby Destined-To-Reign » Sep 04, 2009 10:38 am

Edmund P, you upload an avatar by going to the User Control Panel (up at the top, right above the title of the thread). Then click on "Profile". You'll see on the side where it says "edit profile," "edit avatar," and etc. Click on "edit avatar", and you'll be shown a place where you can upload and insert an avatar. If you have more questions about it, just PM me or post here. :)
Destined-To-Reign
Moderator Emeritus

Postby humdedum » Sep 04, 2009 10:41 am

This was..... a shock. :-o
For some reason I though the move was going to be TONIGHT and not LAST NIGHT. :D
At first, it logged me out every few seconds, so I deleted my cookies and hey, I'm still on, eh?
Madame Gosté is... different. 8-|
Never one who well, likes change x_x [-( , I still ned adjusting, but I trust ya'll can get things done. The avatars on the left are a little different.
Do we have different skins? Hmmm. The profile is a little confusing, but another forum I'm on recently upgraded is like that too. :((

Well, so long. I'm off the figure this all out! :-h

P.S. The "online" banners are pretty slick!
humdedum
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wisewoman » Sep 04, 2009 10:43 am

It looks like that info under the username is all in gray, while the rest of the text is black. That might account for the blurriness. Not sure if that is something that can/will be changed.
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby princess_of_narnia » Sep 04, 2009 10:54 am

Argh! It keeps logging me out. Other than that I guess I can get used to the change, but it's going to take awhile. I hate change! The old NarniaWeb was like an old shoe---comfortable and relaxful. This new one is going to take awhile to fell like that again.
Sig by ski_hi_flier Avvy by campgirl
princess_of_narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby humdedum » Sep 04, 2009 11:00 am

I see on the right of the boards we can see who posted last, but is it possible for us to see in what thread at well? Thanks!
humdedum
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Rising_Star » Sep 04, 2009 11:33 am

Princess, you may need to clear your cookies for it to keep you logged in. :)

Right now the chatroom doesn't work for me for some reason. It logs me in and then kicks me out immediately afterward. :-S Is anyone else having this problem?

P.S."Brooklyn!"
Rising_Star
Moderator Emeritus
NarniaWeb's Resident Hunter

Postby Edmund P » Sep 04, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks so much, D-T-R! I'll let you guys know if I have anymore questions. :)
I met Georgie and Skandar AND saw the film in one evening.
Edmund P
NarniaWeb Guru
The Parallel Welcomer

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 04, 2009 11:42 am

Just transferred to the new forum! I love the new look! B-) I'll let you know if I have any questions or problems. ;)
220chrisTian

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Sep 04, 2009 12:00 pm

Is this where I come if I’m suffering from a case of panic? :( I’m not sure why I’m feeling this way. I think I’m suffering from an overload of new features. Or maybe I just had too much sugar today. I don’t get hyper on sugar I tend to crash on sugar (get crabby / cry easily). Don’t worry I’m not crying. Seriously though, it does look good. I’m just overwhelmed by all of the different options and reading all the new rules and help sections. I keep telling myself to breathe. I didn’t have any problem transferring. But I’m having problems getting up the nerve to use a third party image host. I’ve read through the stuff in the Fan Art section, but I’m still rather nervous. I worry about viruses, spyware, etc. I know that some of the sites don’t require you to register so I assume email addresses will not be necessary. I guess I just want to know if they are safe. (I don’t know if others would be interested in this but I thought it might be nice to have a poll or a review of some the major image hosting sites so that nervous people could see what other NarniaWebbers use and what they like / don’t like about certain sites.) Just typing this I’m beginning to feel a little better.

I wanted to put the nail bitting smilie in my post but I couldn't figure out how. How do you use smilies that aren't on the sidebar?

P.S. This morning I was reading all the good bye NarniaWeb posts. They were fun to read. (I found it interesting that Gymfan15 last post count on the old NarniaWeb contained all sixes)
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby NarniaNut95 » Sep 04, 2009 12:00 pm

Not meaning to be critical, but I discovered something else that looks rather odd. The "Online" banner is covered up by the avatar when you open a PM. Here's a screencap.
Av\Sig by Beautiful_ltdwn
Team Hoodie!
Eschew sesquipedalianism.
NarniaWeb brother of Sonny
Once a SquareOnion, always a SquareOnion.
NarniaNut95
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Tirian » Sep 04, 2009 12:06 pm

humdedum wrote:This was..... a shock. :-o
For some reason I though the move was going to be TONIGHT and not LAST NIGHT. :D

Well, originally it was going to be a Friday night launch, but we were ready a day early and decided to just flip the switch.

For those of you having trouble with the system logging you in and out... make sure to clear all your cookies. Also, remember that DNS can be very flakey and weird for a whole day after a switch, so wait till tomorrow if you can't access the new site or it's flopping back and forth.
Still the Webmaster
Still Benevolent
Still a Dictator
Tirian
Site Admin
Grand Poobah

Postby Rising_Star » Sep 04, 2009 12:13 pm

Pattertwings Pal, under the smileys on the side bar is a link that says "view more smilies." Click that and you'll get more. :)

P.S."Brooklyn!"
Rising_Star
Moderator Emeritus
NarniaWeb's Resident Hunter

Postby Dr Elwin Ransom » Sep 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Regarding the DNS: my home access to New NarniaWeb was quick, but at work everything kept directing me to the new site. That got annoying, but now I'm back home (early on a Friday) and enjoying all the reactions. (And it just now occurred to me that by using the super-secret IP address, I could have accessed the new forum even from work anyway ... duh.)

Another trick of note: quote boxes work just a little bit differently. Before they went like this:

[quote=Somebody]I think, therefore I am.[/quote]

(Which, by the way, seems at best a theologically vacuous statement.)

Now you have to put quote marks -- " " -- around the Somebody.

Somebody wrote:I think, therefore I am.

It took me a while to figure it out, but it kind of adds a greater air of "completeness" to the code, don't you think?

Speculative Faith
Exploring epic stories for God's glory.
Blogs, guest authors, novel reviews, and features on hot fiction topics.
Dr Elwin Ransom
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus, "... and he almost deserved it."

Re: Growing Pains: Quoting a specific person

Postby Rivulus » Sep 04, 2009 12:38 pm

The new quoting format had me confused at first too, Dr. Ransom.

And for anyone wanting to see the exact code, it is:

[quote="Someone's name"]Quoted text.[/quote]

And for anyone wondering how I did that without using spaces, there's a really handy "Disable BBCode" checkbox at the bottom when you are using the full Post a Reply option.
Rivulus
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 04, 2009 12:39 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:But I’m having problems getting up the nerve to use a third party image host. I’ve read through the stuff in the Fan Art section, but I’m still rather nervous. I worry about viruses, spyware, etc. I know that some of the sites don’t require you to register so I assume email addresses will not be necessary. I guess I just want to know if they are safe. (I don’t know if others would be interested in this but I thought it might be nice to have a poll or a review of some the major image hosting sites so that nervous people could see what other NarniaWebbers use and what they like / don’t like about certain sites.) Just typing this I’m beginning to feel a little better.

Hey, Pattertwigs Pal. :ymhug: All the new features were pretty overwhelming for me too when I first saw the new forum, and even now it's hard to keep things from being confusing. Just give it some time; it will even out and you'll get acquainted with all the new features and it will all be fine. :)

As for the image hosting sites, I can vouch for the three sites I recommended in the Uploading tutorial (Imageshack.us, Tinypic and Photobucket). Photobucket requires that you make an account using an email address to upload pics, but Imageshack and Tinypic don't, and they're both very safe. If you have up-to-date anti-virus software, you don't need to worry about picking up nasty stuff, especially from those sites. I've been using them for years with no ill effects. :)

(I found it interesting that Gymfan15 last post count on the old NarniaWeb contained all sixes)

:)) Haha, thanks. I kind of stopped worrying about that kind of thing when I got my cell-phone number and it contained three consecutive 6's. ;) :p
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Sep 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Rising_Star wrote:Pattertwings Pal, under the smileys on the side bar is a link that says "view more smilies." Click that and you'll get more. :)

Thanks. I was going to type that I was still having trouble when I clicked on the smilie I wanted and noticed that it put the code in the top section and then I had to copy it and paste it in the message.

Gymfan15 - Thanks for vouching for those sites. I do have up to date antivirus, so I know I should be okay. I'm begining to feel much better about the switch. I love that it is so easy to quote more than one person.
Gymfan15 wrote::)) Haha, thanks. I kind of stopped worrying about that kind of thing when I got my cell-phone number and it contained three consecutive 6's. ;) :p
I just found the numbers interesting since those numbers are often associated with end times stuff and the old NarniaWeb was ending. :)
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

PreviousNext