This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Books: Chapter One!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Books: Chapter One!

Postby Phosphorus » Sep 04, 2009 1:48 pm

I recently read Lord of the Flies for the first time. It was quite good (if such an adjective may be applied), though much shorter than I thought it would be. The people, relationships, and end result felt very natural and aptly sinister.

Oh, and I posted a good bit on Bonnie Prince Charlie on the last thread before it was closed, so if anyone was looking for that, it's still there. ;)
Phosphorus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby SmileySmackdown » Sep 04, 2009 2:43 pm

I've been looking for some good books about the Arthurian legend. Does anyone have suggestions???
"When the world around you crumbles, He will be strong."
Georgie Henley+ Long hair= Wonderful! :)
SmileySmackdown
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kate » Sep 04, 2009 2:56 pm

Alyosha: Ok, thanks! I'll have to see if my school library has them.

Speaking of school libraries, I put in an ILL request fo Smith of Wootten Major and it should be waiting for me when I arrive! i'm really looking forward to it. It sounds like just my cup of tea.

Smiley: Would you like me to send the list that Lysander and Gandalf's_beard gave me when I asked the same question via PM? ;) It's very thorough.
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 04, 2009 5:44 pm

I've finished Return to Alastair and The Scarlet Trefoil. Yes, I like them better than I liked Tahn. What age group were these written for, YA or adult? And
Did Tahn ever actually laugh? It was made to seem important enough that I expected a laughing scene. *grumble grumble*
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Sep 04, 2009 6:22 pm

from the last thread... :p 220chrisTian wrote...

Glenstorm: I've read only the first part of Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy -- the Inferno. I admit it was really depressing [being a vivid portrait of Dante's version of hell] and, personally, theologically questionable. But I admired his numeric symbolism.

i grabbed it because my mom said it would be a good theological read- i've had alot of those lately ;)

mel: return to alastair is definetly my favorite book of the three. although i love the redemptive and forgiving qulaities in all of them. and i think he did laugh. i don't exactly remember when- i haven't read any of the books in months...
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Glenstorm, I think I liked Return best of the three too. I loved the tapestry-like descriptions at the end of Scarlet Trefoil though. I distinctly remember near the end when Tahn is at the picnic site and is thinking about the Jarel's comment, but if there was a time when he laughed after that, it's well hid among other events. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but because of where it was introduced, the fact that it was brought up again, AND the additional fact that I don't remember a scene where there was laughter from having a good time...
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Peregrin » Sep 04, 2009 8:28 pm

I think my favorite two authors are George MacDonald and Edward Payson Roe. My favorite MacDonald novel is hard to pick, but it would probably be Thomas Wingfold. The edited version is called The Curates Awakening .

My favorite EP Roe book would be Barriers Burned Away or Driven Back to Eden . There again it's hard to choose.

For those unfamiliar with EP Roe, he was a chaplain during the Civil War. After the war, he turned to writing and produced several historically accurate books. Several he had the authorities directly involved in the plots of his story (The Chicago Fire, or the New York Draft Riots) read his manuscript to check for accuracy before he published the books.

Peregrin
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, ... 1 Thessalonians 4:11
Peregrin
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 05, 2009 2:04 am

I am reading lord of the rings the fellow ship of the ring at the moment.

It is a really good book. I would give it 9.5/10. I would of gave it 10 if gandolf didn't go on so much in that discussion they had. I got a bit bored of him goign on and i felt like skipping a couple of pages but i didn't.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Narnia Girl » Sep 05, 2009 5:31 am

Last night I stayed up to finish reading The Rise of the Wyrm Lord. :) It's such a good book. I love fantasy stories.

I read Dragonfire by Donita K. Paul a couple weeks ago. Has anyone ever read any books from her series, the Dragon Keeper Chronicles?
Founder of the Dragon Fan Club - PM me to join!
Team Hoodie!
I've met Michael English!
Avie and sig by theprincessspy.
Narnia Girl
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby SmileySmackdown » Sep 05, 2009 6:41 am

Kate: Thanks! Please do send me the list. :D
"When the world around you crumbles, He will be strong."
Georgie Henley+ Long hair= Wonderful! :)
SmileySmackdown
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Silvertongue » Sep 05, 2009 6:56 am

Peregrin wrote:I think my favorite two authors are George MacDonald and Edward Payson Roe. My favorite MacDonald novel is hard to pick, but it would probably be Thomas Wingfold. The edited version is called The Curates Awakening

Which ones have you read by George MacDonald? I love his books...it's hard for me to pick a favorite, but I really think my top favorite is "The Shepherd's Castle". :)
Image Image Image
Silvertongue
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 05, 2009 7:49 am

Narnia Girl wrote:I read Dragonfire by Donita K. Paul a couple weeks ago. Has anyone ever read any books from her series, the Dragon Keeper Chronicles?

I read about half of the first one (I can't remember what it was called). The writing style was really good, but the plot (or what I read of it) was pretty cliche. It reminded me a lot of Eragon, for which I didn't care. But I don't know whether or not the plot ever got any more interesting, because my life became complicated by college soon after starting them, and I had to stop so that I could get better grades. I plan on picking them up one of these days and rereading the first book (Dragonspell I think) but I've got too many other books waiting to be read right now, to merit putting another one on my holds list at the library ;)
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby starkat » Sep 05, 2009 8:20 am

My review for the second book in the Legends of the Guardian King series:

It has a few spoilers for the first book, so I'm sticking it in spoiler tags.

In the second book in the Legends of the Guardian King, The Shadow Within, Abramm Kalladorne has returned to take his throne. Kiriath is under seige from the Shadow. A kracken has taken up residence in the bay, Gillard is a fopish regent, and the Mataians are pushing their agenda.

Abramm comes home to face his past. When he was sold into slavery, he was looked upon as the family "weakling." Now, as the former White Pretender he must show his people and the lords of his kingdom that he is no longer a weakling and is a capable king. Terstans are being persecuted so in addition to his political challenges, Abramm must keep his shield a secret.

Karen Hancock has turned out a fantasic sequal to the first book in the series. The story flows well and shows the intracacies of wearing a crown. Her old characters and new mesh well together. The second daughter of the Chesden king offers a great foil for Abramm.

I've read all of the Dragon Keeper books. I think DragonFire and DragonLight were the best of the bunch. The first two were good too, but there was a lot of character development in them. The last two are more plot driven.
starkat

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 05, 2009 8:40 am

I've read the second book in the Dragon Keeper Chronicles, Narnia Girl. (It didn't remind me of Eragon at all, DiGs, so the plot might have improved a bit. I thought of it as a cross between Gilbert Morris and David Eddings' work with a cast of characters from a Star Wars set. :p ) I never went back to read book one even though I did read at least one of the following books... probably DragonFire?

Amira Tair, on the old forum, wrote:I'd be interested to know if you like Trade Wind, it was quite different from what I expected, but, well, it was my first Kaye's historical book, I had only read her mystery ones.
I imagine it's a bit like Shadow of the Moon... which was like Rosemary Sutcliff's Blood and Sand and Mark of the Horselord--only more so. I was pleasantly surprised by how large a book Trade Wind is, and I'm looking forward to starting it. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby wisewoman » Sep 05, 2009 8:58 am

I'm glad you all like my opening quote. So true, isn't it?

From the old thread: Amira, you make some excellent points about Breaking Dawn. I was actually wondering if, in the film version,

they would have the vampires battle in the end after all, just because of all the build-up to it.

AitB, regarding Jane Eyre:

I think Rochester is just trying to make Jane jealous with his attitude toward Miss Ingram

I do love the new spoiler feature! :D

I read the first two Inkheart books and found them engaging, though definitely in need of some trimming. They both seemed a little bloated and over-written for their plots. But having said that, I did enjoy them and plan on rereading the first two so I can read the third one (which I recently acquired via PBS).

Good thoughts on Silas Marner, FF. I think you can learn to appreciate both complex and simple works if you make it a point to toggle back and forth between them. I find that it's fun to read a classic book and then jump into something completely different for my next book, and vice versa. It keeps my reading fresh :)

FF wrote:I decided to do a rather impromptu re-read of Persuasion today, as I recently re-watched the '95 version.

I love impromptu rereads! You just pick something up on the spur of the moment. Fun. (And I adore the 1995 adaptation! Hmm, maybe I need to reread Persuasion...)

Nice reviews, starkat! The only thing I would suggest is ending with your reaction/thoughts about the book rather than plot summary. Plot summaries are great and certainly necessary, but I find myself wanting to know why you like the book and why I might too. Just a suggestion :)

Alyosha wrote:Finally dived into BookMooch...it's great

See what patient, long-suffering peer pressure can accomplish? ;;)

Fauny wrote:I would like to announce that I talked my twelve-year-old sister into reading Pride & Prejudice. She wanted to try Les Miserables (she's very ambitious) but I thought she had better start with a slightly less heavy classic.

Hey, welcome back Fauny! :) I agree that P&P is probably a better place to start with "classics" than Les Misérables! I would hate for someone to develop a dislike for classic books just because they read them too early. We were sort of discussing that in the old thread when the forum changed... Let us know how she likes P&P. Is she familiar with the story from movie versions?

Welcome to the Books thread, Peregrin! I need to read more MacDonald; I think I have only read his book The Wise Woman (and that because a friend gave it to me, because of my username). I always hear what an influence he was on Lewis.

ILF wrote:I got a bit bored of him goign on and i felt like skipping a couple of pages but i didn't.

Yay, I'm proud you stuck it out! :ymapplause:

I am continuing in my audiobook of The Mystery of the Yellow Room. I always have to leave off at the most interesting/tense moments!
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby MereChristian » Sep 05, 2009 11:26 am

Hello all.

I wanted to say that I love the quote by WW. Great job. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: I also love the new forum. The layout is wonderful, and the new parts, like the spoiler tags, are neat. Quick question: are the spoiler tags done the same way as the spoiler boxes were before? Great job on the layout and rollout, mods and admins. :ymapplause: :D

I'm going to be starting on The Hobbit and LOTR in the next few days. I'll also be reading The Queen of Attolia. I will have reviews for Alice in Wonderland and Fahrenheit 451 in the next few days, as soon as I get caught up on my homework. One of the drawbacks of graduate school. :(( :((

arabesque, I'm glad that you found The Ranger's Apprentice series. It is not the best writing, in my opinion, but it is good, and the characterization and mythology are top-notch. Also, as a former military guy I really enjoy the spot-on descriptions of the tactics, rank structure, military atmosphere, and military life in general, in the books.

How have you fared so far on BookMooch, Alyosha? What's your username on there? :)

Anyways, I'm off for now. God bless all. :) :ymhug:

I bid you all adieu.

The surest way for evil to triumph in the world is for good men to do nothing. - Sir Edmund Burke    

Avvy and sig by Erucenindë.
MereChristian
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext