This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Books: Chapter One!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Books: Chapter One!

Postby ForeverFan » Sep 12, 2009 10:09 am

ww:

What you say does make sense, and it's made me think a bit. I suppose, when I first read Jane Eyre, I was not yet used to the plots and stories that have more to them then meets the eye, truths you have to dig for (whether the actual plotline is complex or not). As such, while I knew he changed (or, at least understood that when I read the book) I didn't really understand that his change was more then just on the outside. I still probably won't exactly like him compared to other book's heroes, or even like the book- which remains to be seen- but I think my view on him has at least slightly changed.

All in all, I think it'd be a very interesting personality/psychology study- why certain people like/don't like books, why some like more easily certain characters and others don't, and all that sort of thing. The results would be most interesting. :-B ;)

Lys:
And Middlemarch just trumps all. ;)

Now, I can agree with you on that. ;) Of the four or five Eliot I've read, Middlemarch was the one I enjoyed the most and liked the best. :)

Really? I find myself yearning for a simple, easy read after I've finished a complex book, and vice versa. Keeps my reading diet varied and interesting.

I can understand that- although I think that if you're in the habit of doing that then it's not so much of a jump. The first few times I read an easier book after a complex one, it was a huge change. Now, it's become slightly easier to go back and forth, most likely because I've done it more and time has passed....
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby johobbit » Sep 12, 2009 11:41 am

In response to Arwenel's post: I am not sure where Collins is going with this. The second book in the series, Catching Fire released this past week and I just picked it up. I'm hoping to get a start on it this afternoon (out in the breezy sunshine in my comfy outside reading chair. \:D/ ) Someone mentioned they found the premise of The Hunger Games disturbing (I thought it was you, Arwenel??) and I agree. What a terribly exciting book, though, despite the fact I'm thankful it is a fictional society. I'm curious where Collins is taking the series.

Not much time at all for reading lately *weeps* but I am, as mentioned above, about to begin Catching Fire, and am deep in Randy Alcorn's Heaven and loving it; also I had put down Chris Walley's lengthy final book in his Lamb Among the Stars series last summer after making it about halfway through, because I found I just needed a break from the intensity. I'm ready to pick it up again soon. Maybe part of it is that I don't want the trilogy to end. 8-|

After reading part of R.C. Sproul's Reformed Theology at ww's place this past summer, I was determined to purchase it, so buy it I did. It looks excellent, as Sproul's writings always are.

My most enlightening read of late has been on DiGs' recommendation, What Really Happened to Humpty? Wow! What a tale! ;)) Really, though, it is a hoot and the pictures are priceless. The story is clever, fun, and colourful, and I am not going to give a hint as to who the villain is (thanks for not telling me, DiGs)! :-$

I was just looking over our bookshelves and thinking I really should organize them ... again. Some are; some aren't, but wow, what a mammath task lays ahead. I'd kind of like to move; this would be a great help *waits for ww to pipe up* for then I'd have a fresh and clean start. One collects hundreds and thousands of books over the decades I've been adding to my own library, as well as for the hubby and kids. And all five of us are readers! :p A good problem to have. :)
johobbit

Postby Arwenel » Sep 12, 2009 3:34 pm

[quote=johobbit]Someone mentioned they found the premise of The Hunger Games disturbing (I thought it was you, Arwenel??) and I agree. What a terribly exciting book, though, despite the fact I'm thankful it is a fictional society.[/quote]

Yep, that was me. I'm re-reading The Hunger Games while i wait for Catching Fire to come in at the library.

I finished The Merlin Conspiracy; it wasn't bad, but i didn't like it as much as some of DWJ's other books. I wish she wouldn't include so many alternate worlds and such in her books; especially since they're all so different from ours. In a way, it makes me think of Agatha Christie's novels that focused more on international crisis and spy stuff. Maybe the "worlds" of the books just become too big for my mind to handle.

I read the Artemis Fowl book; it was like the others, interesting but not outstanding. I give the series a solid 3 so far. The fairies' prejudice against humanity would be more believable if their society wasn't so similar to ours (and if it weren't made so obvious). :D
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby malkah » Sep 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Mar in Narnia: That's fine about the translations! You're a bilingual reader? That's impressive! I'll enjoy hearing your opinion whenever you do finish. :)

wisewoman about the Attolia books wrote:Indeed they do. Buckle your seatbelt; you're in for it now :D. The first time I read the second two, I read the series all in one weekend, and then was sick the next weekend so I reread them. And they just get better when you reread!

Oh, dear. What have I gotten myself into? :p

Aslanisthebest wrote:I liked how RiB ended; it was just what I was hoping would happen.

Same here! I was so relieved at the ending of RiB, after watching Rose
nearly make the wrong decision with Charlie.

lysander wrote:
Lady Courage wrote:You mean they [the Attolian books] get even better?

Psst ... don't tell anyone ... but I'm in the minority by liking The Thief the best of the three. Each book is rather different from the other, and I prefer the more humorous, light-hearted air of the first.

Actually, that was me. ;) The humor--laugh out loud at times--is one of the reasons The Thief was so enjoyable for me. Are TQOA and TKOA much darker?

ForeverFan wrote: lys:
And Middlemarch just trumps all. ;)

Now, I can agree with you on that. ;) Of the four or five Eliot I've read, Middlemarch was the one I enjoyed the most and liked the best. :)

Middlemarch was what converted me into an Eliot fan after a rather negative experience with Silas Marner (although SM improves greatly with rereading). Would The Mill on the Floss be a good one to read next? Daniel Deronda is a bit too much to tackle right now. :ymblushing:

Has anyone read She by H. Rider Haggard?
the light after the storm
shows that hope was never gone

Snow After Fire graphics
malkah
Moderator Emeritus
The Invincible One

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 12, 2009 5:55 pm

lsyander: yes, I meant Bedier's Tristan and Iseult. I liked the story, except for...
Iseult needed a potion to fall in love with Tristan?! How unrealistic! This isn't true or real love! And the other Iseult, the one with the "black hands" or something, is so X( !

malkah wrote:Has anyone read She by H. Rider Haggard?
Yes. And I didn't like it. I'll explain why tomorrow. :ymblushing: I've read 3 or 4 novels by Haggard. My favorites are Allan Quatermain, Marie, and The Wizard. :)
220chrisTian

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Sep 12, 2009 6:24 pm

wisewoman wrote...

Oh, sorry GTG about snagging that copy of Tahn! For some reason I thought you already had it. If I don't like it I will re-list it for you; how's that?

oh don't worry about it I was just bugging you. But that's sounds great! Although I'm sure you'll like it... :p

I'm almost done with S&S I hope to finish tonight or tomorrow.

Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post that I got two new books at the dump- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and...*drum roll*...Inkheart! The front covers kind of torn up but besides that it's in pretty good condition. If when I get around to reading it and don't like it that much I'll just give it to my friend because she loves Inkheart.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 12, 2009 8:35 pm

malkah wrote:Are TQOA and TKOA much darker?
QoA is, by quite a bit. KoA is somewhere between the two. But don't worry about it. They're all awesome, and lys is a rarity because he can state with finality his favourite. :p I'd say mine is QoA, but then I think about it and I really really like The Thief (I've read it more than the other two, after all) and then I remember that KoA has one of my mostest mostest favourite scenes in the all three books... :D
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 13, 2009 5:46 am

Okay, I've just finished Hayao Miyazaki's animation work biography Starting Point :1979-1996. This book was amazing. It's a heavy read, with essays covering everything from Miyazaki's works, to philosophy and religion, Japanese economy and the life of an animator and so much more. I found it a contradictory, frustrating and often pessimistic read but also an incredibly fascinating and honest book. It adds a whole new dimension to the man we know in Miyazaki. He's a genius as an animator but it seems he must be a terribly unfulfilled person in real life (he missed much of his children's lives due to his workaholic attitude). The book could do with some more pictures and maybe more info on his Nausicaa manga but otherwise it's a brilliant read but not always a happy one.
Highly recommended for Miyazaki fans. 10/10
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby starkat » Sep 13, 2009 7:26 am

Two more book reviews from me on the Heroes of Quantico series by Irene Hannon:

Book 2:

Irene Hannon's second installment in the Heroes of Quantico series, An Eye For An Eye, kicks off with danger, excitement, and sparks. F.B.I. Hostage Rescue Team member, Mark Sanders runs into Emily Lawson, an old friend, in the park while jogging. While they are talking, a sniper takes shots at Mark and Emily, but which one was the intended target?

Mark and the St. Louis F.B.I. office scramble to try to find the shooter and keep Emily safe. Thrown back into each others lives, Mark and Emily find themselves feeling out the romantic relationship that they once had and now seems to be growing again.

This book is filled with suspense and passion. The author's writing leaps off the page and brings her characters and her settings to life. The mystery unfolds keeping the reader in suspense both in the search to find the shooter and in Mark and Emily's relationship. Everything starts to come clear at the end. A great second installment with a third book scheduled to come out in April.

Book 1:

FBI Hostage Rescue Team members Evan Cooper and Mark Sanders are sent to protect Monica Callahan. Callahan is the estranged daughter of a U.S. diplomat currently working to get several hostages released in Afghanistan. She refuses to allow the terrorist threat to affect her life until it encroaches upon her home.

Cooper finds that he has a personal stake when he realizes he has feelings for Monica. Cooper also has to come face to face with God and comes to believe during the trials he faces. Monica comes to rely deeper on her faith as she struggles to forgive her father and mend fences with him before it is too late.

Against All Odds by Irene Hannon, the first book in a new series, is story of bravery and courage on the parts of the characters. Whether it is facing life under fire or coming to grips with emotions, Hannon’s characters come to life in the story as she introduces her readers to the Heroes of Quantico.

The one for book 1, I wrote quite a bit back. Yes, I know, I seem to primarily read Christian Fictio, but I've got a small side job writing reviews, so I thought I'd share some of them with y'all. :"> With my current schedule, I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep it up, but I have plenty of material on my bookshelf to go through. lol.
starkat

Postby Amira Tair » Sep 13, 2009 10:06 am

Oh, after quite a while writing a wonderful post I lost it in the most stupid way trying to add different smilies X(. So now, I'll make it brief.
Mar_girl, It's the Attolia books I am going to read when they arrive, but thanks for the recommendation. In fact, I've been thinking or reading them for long, so I'll add them to my to-read list. ;)
Very interesting discussion on Jane Eyre, one of my favourite books ever. Although the first time I read it - when I was ten or twelve - I didn't like him, now Mr. Rochester is one of my favourite characters, and I agree with what wisewoman and 220 have said about them.
ww wrote:Methinks we need a Jane Eyre Special Feature — or perhaps a Bronte sisters SF. Would you guys be up for that?

I would! I would! :ymapplause: By the way, I loved your review of The Yellow Room. I agree with Lysander, don't read anything at all about the sequels, if you are spoilered it is not as fun.
Amira Tair
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Sep 13, 2009 11:25 am

That bio of Miyazaki sounds great W4J :D . I can't wait to find a copy.

And it is amazing how someone who animates such beautiful stories can lead such a depressed life. But we artistic types often seem to have problems with depression or other emotional/personality issues :(( . Perhaps that is why Miyazaki is drawn to such uplifting tales though. I know that's why I prefer to read or watch things with Happy Endings or Eucatastrophres

GB (%)
"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence" -- Carl Sagan
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lindir » Sep 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Hello all!
It's hard to choose just one favorite book. I'm an avid reader and love many different authors. Some of my favorites are: George MacDonald, Louisa May Alcott, Jane Austen, Jan Karon, Ted Dekker, J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and many more.

I love to talk books, so if anyone has a favorite book from these authors, feel free to PM me!

I love the Lord of the Rings series, plus the Hobbit.
Probably my favorite books in the Bible are both first and second Timothy. They're written to a young man, exhorting him to stay strong. I need to hear that sometimes. (Actually quite often!)

Anyway, that's my short answer on the question, "What's your favorite book?" :P

Lindir
"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C. S. Lewis

Text in sig by Erucenindë. Text means "I am a Servant of God".
Lindir
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Aslanisthebest » Sep 13, 2009 2:02 pm

220:

SHOW SPOILER Jane Eyre
I see what you’re saying, but even though if he just said that to make Jane jealous or not—he still did that, and it’s quite annoying, to me. I know she has a conscience, but really, why would she go marry someone who’s had a wife, and had so many mistresses before that? Is there much assurance he won’t do the same to her? Granted, he was blind and in a way an invalid, but he didn’t seem trustworthy.
For the age difference- in the Sound of Music, I hadn’t noticed that. But, Jane was only a teenager and he 40-45. That, if you ask me, is far too much.
About St. John, yeah, I now see why he wasn’t right for Jane, or right for anyone in that matter. He wasn’t emotional, and he did get rather annoying.
I understand what you mean about Jane going back to Mr. Rochester. I understand he was humbled, but it’s hard for me to see past his faults, since the main thing he seemed sorry for was sorry he lost Jane. He, sadly in one aspect, just comes off as a shallow character, to me.

Fanny:
Fanny wrote: My first reactions were, and probably still are, the same as yours in regards to Jane Eyre. Perhaps a re-read would help me see things in a better light, but my overall impression of the book was one of apathy (not hate, just, okay, that's an interesting book, but I don't see what the fuss is over it).
Ditto. I didn’t really get how people thought Jane/Rochester quite a nice match. I mean…well, it just seem so...

SHOW SPOILER Jane Eyre
Ditto that! I just cannot get myself to like Rochester. I didn’t quite notice a change in him. Well, apart from being more humble after he was blind, but still… I find it quite hard to like him.

I don’t mind some age differences, but I think around 25 is a bit over the edge and all. :/

Exactly, about how it would sort of be unsure whether he would treat Jane the same way. He said he loved her, even if she would go insane, but still, he seemed sort of self-absorbed, in a way. (That might be too strong-worded, however.) It’s really hard for me to overlook his unfaithfulness to his wife, and hardly an attempt to try loving her, and then marrying someone so much younger, saying he loves the second. It’s hard for me to see Mr. Rochester as likable in some aspects.

WW:

SHOW SPOILER Jane Eyre
I can see what you’re saying, and from that viewpoint it makes sense. But, I also see it from the way I brought it, too. I agree about St. John now; after seeing what 220 and you wrote about him, and reconsidering, I see he didn’t love Jane but was a narcissist for his own purposes.

About Mr. Rochester’s conversion, I understand, but if it had shown he changed, I didn’t sense it so. I understood that he was more humble then, but it’s extremely difficult for me to overlook his past since when he spoke of it to Jane, he hardly seemed to feel sorry for it. As I said above, what he seemed to be sorry for is losing Jane, due to his past.
Ah, I’m getting a slightly different view on his repentance now—the way you had put it. :)
And, I’m seeing it’s perfectly normal of Jane to fall in love, and it was good of her to go away upon realizing Mr. Rochester was married. But, it felt like she had a strong emotional attatchment to him (while he was still married, or in her knowledge, he was still married) , which while it was a normal result, she didn’t seem like she wanted to try break it.
Seeing how rotten St. John is, yes, I would have run away from him, if I was in Jane’s shoes. And going to Mr. Rochester was fine, but I don’t know I could ever find him likable or ever ‘trust’ that character, if you know what I mean

Lys:

SHOW SPOILER Jane Eyre
I probably need to read the passage that talked about Mr. Rochester’s change. While reading the book, his change was sort of invisible to me, so it would be helpful if I could read paragraphs regarding that.

Fanny wrote:
As such, while I knew he changed (or, at least understood that when I read the book) I didn't really understand that his change was more then just on the outside. I still probably won't exactly like him compared to other book's heroes, or even like the book- which remains to be seen- but I think my view on him has at least slightly changed.
SHOW SPOILER Jane Eyre
Right, exactly how I feel about his change and Mr. Rochester, as a whole character.
You’re much, much better at putting thoughts in words better than I do. ;))

Sorry if it’s seemed like I’m just sticking to one opinion, or I’m pushing something unnecessary- I sort of confused myself in the process, and I’ve been reading more books after that, so my memory of the details I was remembering is marred. But, WW and 220, you have given me a different, second look at some parts of the book, which I’m glad for. :)

Also, I apologise if I've written totally different views per spoiler. I started out thinking the same as my previous post spoiler had said, and then reading 220's reply, then WW's slightly changed how I looked at it, so. ;))

And, it’s just so thoughtless and selfish for Mr. Rochester to try marry Jane while having a wife still alive. It’s something I really can’t forget. Seeing a lot of circumstances like that shown in Jane Eyre with close friends of mine, it seems so hard for myself to just overlook that, when he seemed to not try love his wife but just settled for something else that pleased him more. And his change was hardly visible to me, so… I just really did not like Mr. Rochester, and the main-ish part of Jane Eyre.

Agh, I’ve confused myself… :ymblushing: :P I’d better stop now…

Lys wrote: Psst ... don't tell anyone ... but I'm in the minority by liking The Thief the best of the three. Each book is rather different from the other, and I prefer the more humorous, light-hearted air of the first.
*joins the minority* I agree with you on that.

Malkah wrote: Same here! I was so relieved at the ending of RiB, after watching Rose […]
Ditto! :D
SHOW SPOILER Rose in Bloom
I was so worried that she’d pick Charlie. While Charlie was my almost my favourite out of all the cousins, I just didn’t want him with Rose. Mac and Rose was a much sweeter match than the former and Rose. I’m sad that Charlie had to die, but I suppose it was needed to the plot.

Lin, you like L.M.A., you say? I’m a big fan of her books. :D Which of hers is your favourite?

So now, I’m reading Anne’s House of Dreams. A very quaint, interesting book it is. I’m so happy that Anne and Gilbert married. :D I was half worried that they wouldn’t.
After that, I should be reading Polyanna. I had watched the movie, but never read the book, so I’m looking forward to doing that. :)
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby lysander » Sep 13, 2009 7:35 pm

I just made a really amazing discovery. Apparently audible.com, an audiobook download site, has started offering a month's trial that includes a free audiobook you keep even if you cancel your subscription. I'm definitely going to take advantage of this offer. :D Due to wisewoman's outpourings, I'm thinking of getting the Anna Massey-narrated Rebecca, but then again there are so many goodies on there ... Jonathan Pryce doing My Cousin Rachel, Amanda Root doing Jane Eyre, Stephen Thorne doing Cadfael, Alan Rickman doing The Return of the Native, and perhaps best of all, Derek Jacobi doing various Tolkien children's stories!

Fanny wrote:Now, I can agree with you on that. ;) Of the four or five Eliot I've read, Middlemarch was the one I enjoyed the most and liked the best. :)

Well, I'm not quite sure I can agree with that. :p I'd have to reread Silas Marner before I could decide whether that or Middlemarch is my favorite, and even then I might not be able too. Regardless, they're both among my favorite books ever.

malkah wrote:Would The Mill on the Floss be a good one to read next? Daniel Deronda is a bit too much to tackle right now. :ymblushing:

Probably. Most people who don't consider Middlemarch Eliot's best novel go for Mill. There are certainly some remarkable things about it I love, principally the childhood scenes and the romantic sections in the Red Deeps, but as far as I'm concerned it rather drops in quality for the last two thirds of the book. Maybe it was due to my rather high expectations ... another reread, I fear?

Amira Tair wrote:I agree with Lysander

Smart girl. ;)

220: I'll have to read the Bedier. Honestly, I'm not all that fond of the basic Tristan and Isolde story, which isn't about "true love" at all, love potion or no. Interestingly, Rosemary Sutcliff shares your views on the potion, and refused to include it in her retelling, which I absolutely loved. She even makes Isolde of the White Hands fairly sympathetic. :ymapplause:

Bella: This is the passage that convinced me maybe Rochester "deserved," if you can call it, a second chance:
SHOW SPOILER Jane Eyre
"Jane! you think me, I daresay, an irreligious dog: but my heart swells with gratitude to the beneficent God of this earth just now. He sees not as man sees, but far clearer: judges not as man judges, but far more wisely. I did wrong: I would have sullied my innocent flower--breathed guilt on its purity: the Omnipotent snatched it from me. I, in my stiff-necked rebellion, almost cursed the dispensation: instead of bending to the decree, I defied it. Divine justice pursued its course; disasters came thick on me: I was forced to pass through the valley of the shadow of death. His chastisements are mighty; and one smote me which has humbled me for ever. ... Of late, Jane--only--only of late--I began to see and acknowledge the hand of God in my doom. I began to experience remorse, repentance; the wish for reconcilement to my Maker. I began sometimes to pray: very brief prayers they were, but very sincere. ... I asked of God, at once in anguish and humility, if I had not been long enough desolate, afflicted, tormented; and might not soon taste bliss and peace once more. That I merited all I endured, I acknowledged--that I could scarcely endure more, I pleaded; and the alpha and omega of my heart's wishes broke involuntarily from my lips in the words--'Jane! Jane! Jane!'"
~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~
lysander
Moderator Emeritus

Postby mar_girl » Sep 13, 2009 8:59 pm

220chrisTian: Yes, my copy of The Pilgrim's Progress has both Christian's and Christiana's parts. I think we'll just be reading Christian's for school, though. I haven't read anything else by him, but those books sound interesting. Oh, dear, I put that I'd have to start The Pilgrim's Progress for school, didn't I? I meant The Pilgrim's REgress. :ymblushing: I am going to read TPP too, just not next week.

ww wrote:Welcome to the New NarniaWeb, mara!
Thanks! I'm not sure if it's possible to upthumb a review twice. The last time I read it I clicked on the thumb icon, and it added another number to your count. Then I couldn't remember if I'd already done so. That's why I said I think I upthumbed it twice. 8-} And thanks, about the Hot Reviews! I don't get on LT every day, though, so I missed seeing it there. I feel so flattered. :ymblushing: :D

Aslanisthebest:
SHOW SPOILER Jane Eyre
Yes, those things bothered me in Jane Eyre, too. I don't think Jane should have ended up with St. John, though-- he didn't love her; he just basically wanted a tool. 220chrisTian explained his character beautifully in her spoiler reply. I know back then it wasn't considered incest, but I don't like the idea of cousins marrying. I don't like Rochester's behavior, but I remember that at the end he repented of what he had done. And Jane's forgiving and loving him despite all that is very touching. I just love how she stands up for herself and what she believes in. Why all the Little Women comparisons, though? The books are not very alike at all. And Jo totally should have ended up with Laurie instead of Professor Bhaer. :p

lys wrote:I love it when I'm assigned books I already wanted to read!
Me too! That's part of the reason I'm so looking forward to my C.S. Lewis class. And thanks for telling me how to quote people. I meant to ask everyone in general, not just you, but it appeared that way in my post. ;))

Books I've bought recently:
Emma (library booksale for 50 cents)
Believing in Narnia: A Kid's Guide to Unlocking the Secret Symbols of Faith in the Chronicles of Narnia by Natalie Gilespie (I'm rather weary of books that claim to unlock secrets/secret symbols in beloved classics, but this sounds interesting. I'll let you know what it's like.)

Books I've read recently:
I finished Sorcery and Cecilia and loved it. What is the sequel called? I probably won't read it anytime soon, though.
The Unicorn and Other Poems by Anne Morrow Lindbergh (very good, but I didn't get into this one as much as the other poetry books I've read this summer. Maybe because I'm sick and can't find a good, quiet place to read...)
Sig by lysander
Queen of Literary Linkage
Aslan: the Chuck Norris of Narnia.
mar_girl
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 14, 2009 4:39 am

I see that the Pilgrim's Progress was brought up in the conversation. I don't normally get...mushy...over a book, but this is one that really hit my heart in all the right places. It's a beautiful tale. I discovered that following Christian's journey that he encountered people that I have met, and gone to places I've been to, and been in jams that I oftentimes find myself in. It's a very heartening book and has an almost urgent tone about it. The part where I usually break down is when...

Faithful is put to death in Vanity Fair. I felt real and genuine sorrow, because this isn't just Christian's travelling companion, he's kind of mine too. But his sacrifice brings about the conversion of Hopeful, and he too is a wonderful, if a bit inexperienced, pilgrim.

I've read novels where I can identify with characters easily, but never quite like TPP. Anyone you've ever met in your life, Christian or not, will likely have a representative character in the book.

The second portion is a tad bit more lighthearted in tone, albeit not bad because of it. The sense of urgency in the first book is replaced by a sort of "take it easy" kind of pacing and many of the sites and places Christian went to in the first book are revisited with different results. It's good although not as good as the first book. I'm thinking it's perhaps time to go dig up my copy and do a reread. Really good book.
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

PreviousNext