This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Cooking/Cake Decorating

Postby Orious » Mar 13, 2011 7:25 pm

I have to agree with you on the grits, SnowAngel. Nasty stuff. Nasty.

I have never made fries because deep fryers scare me...and they look like a pain to clean up. :p I go potato wedges instead. They take so much less time and are just as tasty--maybe more so! My employer's children love my potato wedges. It's nice when people love what you cook. :)

What does everyone do to keep their recipes organized? I keep a lot of recipes in my head, those are the recipes that I usually wing, the recipes that don't have strict amounts or change every time. I try and write down every recipes that I can, though. I have a journal with recipes in it, my own dear cookbook. It has barely anything in it right now, I wing cooking too often.
KrisTwin: Follower - Sibs AWH&Fauni - SirenSis - PotatoHead

"There are no boring subjects, only disinterested minds."

AV by ForeverFan
Orious
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Mar 13, 2011 10:11 pm

SnowAngel wrote:Grits??? :-o Never, in my entire life have I made or served grits to anyone. I don't like grits. They're gross, slimy stuff, as I recall. [-( (I haven't had them but once in the past ten years.)

Awww! Grits are rather awesome stuff! Personally I like to brew up a large pot, dump in lots of butter (real stuff, not margarine), lots of salt, and some pepper. Occasionally I throw in some eggs or bacon just to spice it up a bit. The best additive on Earth though is cheddar cheese...loads upon loads of cheddar cheese so that when you pull the spoon out of the grits there are strings of cheese coming off the edges ;)). Grits are like an edible yet blank canvas limited only by your imagination as to what you want to put in em' :D. Most folks I've talked to that don't like grits tried them with sugar and milk, so if that's what you did when you had them, I urge you not to do that anymore because that's not normal, and I suspect invented by some disgruntled Yankee. ;))

Also, homemade biscuits and gravy scares me because I've read in so many places that gravy (in general) is very easy to screw up by default...I'm just worried I'll pour a lot of time and energy into it and the whole batch will go bad if I turn my head for 2 seconds or something...

Gymmie wrote:YOu know, I don't think I've ever had grits, but I imagine the texture is similar to cream of wheat.

I've never had cream of wheat, so I can't make a comparison. However, my wife has a box of cream of wheat in the kitchen...and I might give that a go tonight to see what all the talk is about. ;))
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby SusanTheArcher » Mar 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Friday I'm going to one of my friends' for dinner and we decided that I would bring cheesecake for dessert but my friend doesn't know what to make as a main dish. It would have to be something light and full of vegetables... Does anyone have any ideas? A salad recipe or the like would be very much appreciated :)
While I'm at it... I've never made cheesecake before, any tips?
"'I say that if one could know what will happen after death, then not one of us would be afraid of death....One's afraid of the unknown, that's what it is.'" -- Tolstoy, War and Peace

My LiveJournal
SusanTheArcher
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Kate » Mar 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Mmmmm, cheesecake. I've never made one, so no tips. Stir Fry is a good bet for something full of veggies. It's not usual potluck or dinner party fair, but you could make it work. Or a tasty soup.

St. Patrick's Day is coming up and every year my family has a big Irish-themed meal. We're not actually Irish, but it's good fun anyway. This year I'm away from home, so I'll be cooking it for my friends. I'm going to make corned beef, Irish soda bread (with raisins... mmmm.), cabbage (salad, because cooked cabbage is gross), and potatoes.

I need a dessert though... What's an Irish dessert? We usually have green milk too. ;))
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Oops sorry, Shadowlander, I didn't know you liked grits. What we had was some kind of instant stuff - I think. Alas, it is a memory I try not to recall. The gravy recipe I have is pretty simple, I'm sure you could do it. Of course, if it turns out lumpy, you can always dump the whole batch in the blender for a few seconds. My sisters have rescued a few gravies and cream soups that way. Looks like Iron Chef gravy! B-)

My sister, Scarlet_Trefoil, is the cheesecake baker at our house and for Valentine's Day, she made a raspberry cheesecake with brownie crust. It was so good. ;;) If you don't want raspberry, I'm sure you could substitute whatever berries you want. If you're interested in the recipe, SusanTheArcher, I'll ask her for it. The brownie crust is baked and the cheesecake part is made with gelatin so it's not baked, but it does have to chill overnight.

Kate, Scarlet usually makes creme de menthe squares for St. Patrick's Day. But this year, as my Dad and brothers aren't really into mint, she's making a green tinted coconut pie and probably a chocolate cream pie instead. We girls will get to indulge our mint-chocolate cravings later on.

I'm probably going to make green pancakes for breakfast on St. Patrick's Day. As anyone else ever made green eggs? :D I remember making them one year when I was 6 or 7, they were so ugly. :p Green milk sounds interesting....

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Orious » Mar 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Could you message me the cheesecake recipe, SnowAngel? I don't normally like cheesecake but that sounds yummy! :)
KrisTwin: Follower - Sibs AWH&Fauni - SirenSis - PotatoHead

"There are no boring subjects, only disinterested minds."

AV by ForeverFan
Orious
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Here's the recipe, Orious.
Raspberry Cheesecake with Brownie Crust
Crust
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter plus 2 T. (or 6 T.), melted
¾ cup flour
¼ cup cocoa plus 2 T.
½ tsp. salt

Filling
2 cups raspberries
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin dissolved in ¼ cup of cold water
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
¾ cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla

For crust- In mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Add butter. Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; stir into egg mixture and mix well. Line a 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper, pour in batter. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until done. Cool completely.

For filling-
1.Place raspberries, water, and sugar in a saucepan, heat to boiling , and then cook at a boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2.Remove from heat and add gelatin mixture, stirring until dissolved.
3.Add cream cheese, ricotta cheese, and vanilla, mixing until well blended.
4.Pour filling into crust and refrigerate until cheesecake is firm, approximately 3 to 4 hours.

Yield: One 8- or 9-inch cheesecake

Note: Scarlet used to 2 packages of cream cheese, instead of 1 cream cheese and the ricotta cheese.

One of my younger sisters is baking gingersnaps are now. :) It's smells and tastes really good. :D

Got to run,
SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby stateofgreen » Mar 15, 2011 8:47 pm

That sounds yummy! I think I'll take it for my collection too and do lowfat substitutions on the cheese. Thanks. :)

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby SusanTheArcher » Mar 22, 2011 4:10 pm

That sounds delicious, Snow Angel! I ended up making the typical NY cheesecake and it turned out pretty well. The only thing that went wrong is that I wasn't able to let it cool in the oven because my Dad was making cauliflower gratin and needed it so the cake cracked a little bit but it wasn't a big deal. Unfortunately I made a lot of cake and it turns out that my two brothers and Mom don't like cheesecake so I had to throw away about a quarter of it :(
"'I say that if one could know what will happen after death, then not one of us would be afraid of death....One's afraid of the unknown, that's what it is.'" -- Tolstoy, War and Peace

My LiveJournal
SusanTheArcher
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 10, 2011 6:52 pm

SusanTheArcher, it's normal for the top to crack a little. The recipe I post is the only Scarlet has made that hasn't crack at all and that's because it is not baked. I think it takes a lot of practice to make a cheesecake that doesn't crack at all.

One of my sisters made vanilla ice cream today, it was delicious. :D We have a family recipe that has lots of vanilla and milk. Mummm.... :) I made fudge sauce to go with it, it's one of my specialties. ;) It was dark chocolate this time.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby outlier » Apr 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Strawberries have been on sale a lot recently, so i've been having fun with my ice cream :)

Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby De_De » Apr 12, 2011 3:06 am

I was wondering if anyone here knows any simple cookie recipies? I'm already bored of all the cookie recipies that we have, and looking for them online is a hassel. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 12, 2011 1:32 pm

De_De, I just made this recipe today for the second time. It's really easy and everyone likes it. :D

Mud Pie Cookies (crème filled)
½ cup butter 1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar 1/8 tsp. salt
1 egg 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ¾ cups flour
½ cup cocoa

Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and ; add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture. Grease cookie sheet, drop dough by tablespoonful onto cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375F for 8 to 10 or until done. Cool. Spread one cookie with crème filling, then top with second cookie. Makes 16-18 filled cookies.

For the crème filling-
Cream ¼ cup butter and ¼ cup shortening; gradually beat in 1 cup marshmallow cream. Blend in 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla and 1 ¼ cup powdered sugar; beat to spreading consistency.

If you would like some more recipes, I'll post more later.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby De_De » Apr 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for the recipe SnowAngel! I will definatly try it as soon as I get better! And I would love more recipes, thank you :ymhug:
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Here's another recipe, De_De.
Yum Yum Cookies
1 box cake mix
1 egg
½ cup butter
Mix together and press into a lightly greased 9x13-inch pan. Mixture will be dry. Cream together the following with a mixer:
8oz. cream cheese
1 box powdered sugar
2 eggs
To this add: 1 pkg. chocolate chips
Pour over cake mixture. Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes, until knife slides out clean. Cut into squares and refrigerate.

Optional: when chocolate chips adding, add 1 cup chopped pecan or coconut

We have made this recipe lots of times. Little kids really like it, especially in the summertime. It’s really good with a lemon cake mix and white chocolate chips or with chocolate cake mix and mint chips.

I think I need to make Yum Yum cookies this week. ;)
SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby De_De » Apr 20, 2011 4:05 am

Thanls alot for the Mud Pie Cookies receipe SnowAngel :ymhug:. I made it on the weekends and everyone here loved it! I will definatly try the Yum Yum cookies. Only I don't think they sell cake mixes where I live (in fact, I'm not really sure what it is :ymblushing:). Do you know if I can use something else???
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext