This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Huge VotDT display pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Huge VotDT display pics!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Bookwyrm » May 22, 2010 10:32 pm

Honestly, this poster looks like one of those dreadful Velvet Elvis pictures. I thought the Cannes banner was pretty ugly, but this is far worse. And it's a shame they've sunken to plastering Peter, Susan, and the WW on the display to try to trick people into thinking they play a major part in the movie. Also irritates me that they're doing the Eowyn thing with Ramandu's Daughter. She's a tiny little presence on the poster while characters who are barely in the movie dominate it.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby DamselJillPole » May 23, 2010 1:39 am

To be completely truthful, I don't like this poster at all. I have to agree with Bookwyrm on this.

Why in the world is Susan, Peter, and WW doing on this poster and why of all them and the minotuar and faun have to be bigger then Ramandu's Daughter? I do find it rather dominating considering she is Caspian's true love in this and Peter and Susan will only appear for a few seconds in the film. And no offense to Susan lovers but I am at my last straw with the character of Susan, I lost complete respect for her after I saw PC. I didn't want to see her at all on any Narnian poster until HHB is made. I really dont see a purpose of any of them being on the poster at all except, Caspian, Reep, Lucy, Edmund, Eustace, RD and Cheif Dufflepud.

I mean where is Drinian, Rynelf, Rhince, Gumpas or even a dragon in all of this. They shure would have been more useful in the poster space 8-|

I hope the actual last and main poster does not have these three characters on it. Out of all of them Susan really irks me to death. I hate how she has to be bigger then RD. That is not right. Not right at all. X(

This poster completely defeats the purpose of the magical story of VDT. I am not pleased.

The only good thing about this poster being in theaters is that the trailer is indeed closer now. I can't wait!
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » May 23, 2010 2:03 am

A few comments after reading everyone else's:

1. The Jadis/LOTGK topic was banned not because it couldn't be answered, but because a small number of people wouldn't accept the answer - even though we mods had gone to the estate to ask for a ruling! Some people kept arguing back in an unfriendly manner, and we sighed and said "enough".

2. This is a cinema [standing?] poster, I understand, and it's so early that there will surely be better ones following it. It certainly tries to please everyone but in doing so it fails to get things right. Well, we shall see. In the meantime Steven Rooke gets equal billing to Anna and Will M. (not Mr Tumnus, sillies, he's been dead 1303 years).
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby mm1991 » May 23, 2010 2:16 am

Dear Walden Media,

If the next Narnia film gets made, I implore you to please hire NarniaWebbers to handle the marketing.

Sincerely,
mm1991

----------

There is really nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. This display is confusing and misleading. And...seriously folks, Aslan does NOT need to be on every poster.
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Claire-ayes » May 23, 2010 2:51 am

Ummm.

Well. It's alright. I prefer the placement of Lucy, Edmund & Eustace here than in the Cannes banner. I like the ship and Aslan, etc.

I pretty much like it except ... what are Peter and Susan doing there?? Seriously. I remained unconvinced that that's the White Witch, I may just be in denial, I'm happier here. I agree with Bookwyrm, it seems to be a attempt to remind people of the old films, rather than advertising the new one.

*sigh*
Claire-ayes
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby High Queene ShellyBelly » May 23, 2010 3:32 am

lets lighten up, folks! lets just be glad this new studio picked it up! be grateful!
High Queene ShellyBelly
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby ForeverFan » May 23, 2010 5:01 am

Well, obviously, when I saw the poster this morning there was some surprise indeed at the inclusion of Peter, Susan, and Jadis, but I think that I am overall more concerned about the misleading nature of the poster than them (except for perhaps Jadis) being on the poster itself. It doesn't seem very honourable to use characters that will or may have only very small cameos in this film to draw people in- they'll go in expecting to see them in major roles and be sorely disappointed when they find out they're not, hence probable more disappointment with the actual movie. In addition, it is not as if the poster designers and film makers actually needed to have Peter, Susan, and Jadis there to draw audiences in to see the movie, as if that was the only way to make things work. I'm sure they would have just as much success with making some of the other characters more prominent for advertising.

That being said, I did like the inclusion of the young lady in white down in the right hand lower corner. :)
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby Aslans Country » May 23, 2010 5:05 am

I.. honestly don't know. I like seeing all the characters on there, but it's not exactly the best poster in the world.

At first when I saw Peter, Susan and THE WHITE WITCH?! :-o :-o I freaked out. Now I'm sort of calmed down, but I do agree that it's incredibly misleading for all those people out there that haven't read the books and actually think those characters are going to have major parts. We know Peter and Susan won't, and this:

narnialover101 wrote:Don't know if this will clear anything up for anyone else, but it did for me:

Paul Martin on Narniafans wrote:
That is Tilda Swinton on the right side, appearing again as The White Witch. I can tell you right now: do not be alarmed. It’s not a big deal. She doesn’t appear for very long. I’m not sure the screentime but it’s likely to be shorter than in Prince Caspian. It’s for a dream sequence and nothing more.

makes me feel a whole lot better about the White Witch. If it is, as some people have suggested, for Edmund's dream or something, I would actually love to see it. :)
She looks seriously not at all like the White Witch in this picture, though. /:)

Also, am I completely imagining things, or does the knife that the Dufflepud is holding look like the White Witch's Stone Knife? I'm pretty sure it's not but that's what I thought of when I first saw it. :-\

I didn't recognize RD at all. She looks like a 10 year old girl - I thought she was the MLG at first. :p

Lucy and Edmund still look weird.. they'd better not look like this in the actual movie. /:)
Avie by flambeau.

"I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm.. I don’t care where you've fallen, where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends, it never ends."
-Times, Tenth Avenue North
Aslans Country
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ceppault » May 23, 2010 5:46 am

High Queene ShellyBelly wrote:lets lighten up, folks! lets just be glad this new studio picked it up! be grateful!
With that being said, welcome aboard NarniaWeb!

The community forum members do not lack a passionate feeling for how Narnia is portrayed on the movie screen. We all thought it absolutely terrific that Fox and Walden Media are making VDT. B-) Yet it can be tough watching a cherished and beloved story being made into a movie. While a small change from the book to the movie may seem insignificant to most people of the world, it can be totally gut-wrenching to some folks here.

I am not saying it is good or bad, right or wrong. Its just how things roll. :)

Come on in. Join the discussions. I offer chocolate filled jelly donuts and ice cream to those folks badly stressed - chocolate has a mild sedative effect. ;))

Now back to our current topic ...

I like this movie standee. B-) Then again, I am the most unflappable member here.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby starkat » May 23, 2010 6:08 am

Deep breath all...

I remember the release of the first LWW stand. http://www.narniaweb.com/2004/11/exclusive-narnia-movie-poster-stand/ There was a similar mixed reaction.

Keep in mind that in advertising, the first thing to do is to grab the passer by's attention. Advertising typically isn't aimed at those who know the product, but those who have never seen it.

Things in it's favor:

a) a lot of color
b) Focus on the characters
c) a light touchstone to the previous films
d) a hint at what's to come
e) it's size
f) the focus of the entire piece is on the giant lion head

The one thing that does bother me is the apparent recycling of some images from the previous film, but it doesn't bug me much as that usually happens at this stage in the advertising game. We won't hear any music from the movie in the upcoming trailer. It'll all be stuff from other movies. Images from previous movies get recycled on still advertising.

So all in all, I think it is a solid piece of advertising. Some fans may have issues because we know the story, but think about it from a young person's point of view who has never read the book...

It is definitely eye catching and that's the point.
starkat

Postby Claire-ayes » May 23, 2010 7:07 am

Okiedokes . . .

Actually, after reading a few more comments/arguments, I am much less 'arrrggghh' then my initial reaction.

So, it is the White Witch. After checking out what Paul Martin had to say, I'm not so bothered. I quite like to idea of Jadis as Edmund's Dark Island nightmare. Overkill does come to mind, but neither this or the PC cameo was out of line with the books at all, so I'd be happy with it.

The stand is eye catching. Sure, not the best pictures in the world, but I'll live. Yes, having Peter/Susan/WW is a bit of a deception, but this is a battle to win over the audience. As we know - Battles are ugly affairs. If this is how Fox is playing it, a slight tricking of the public isn't so bad.

The stand is more a cross section of what Narnia was, is and will be. I reserve the right to change my mind. ;)
Claire-ayes
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lucy P. » May 23, 2010 7:12 am

The composition reminds me of a lot of the LOTR promotional material, so it doesn't bug me that much. But the textures are just bad.

On to the characters-

I honestly wasn't sure it was Tilda at first, but now that I'm reasonably convinced that it's her I'm still not bothered. She probably appears on Dark Island, and while it's fatiguing (The White Witch is dead. Gone. Why do we keep resurrecting her?) it's not the end of the world.

The recurring appearances of Peter and Su are more welcome. Of course, they'll only have small roles, (Anna has so far denied even being in the film, and we're fairly sure Peter will have just a cameo) but they were popular characters and will attract audiences if they're featured in a few advertisements.

And who is the character directly above Jadis? A dufflepud? That's exciting!
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby lover of narnia » May 23, 2010 7:21 am

I LIKE IT!!!! :D And I must say I'm probably the only one on here who does. :p First off- Peter and Susan! YEAH!! I'm glad to see them on there, even though they will probably make only cameos. I can still hope, right? ;;) I don't know if I recognize that pic of Peter though. There were no reports of William going to the VOTD set, but there was a large black out for some weeks. I'm just so glad to see them on there! Anna Popplewell did go to the set but....we'll see, right? ;)

Next- Lucy, Eustace, and Edmund. I must say Lucy's eyes do look a bit weird, but this could also be from the angle and different colors. I liked her on they other one, and that had the same picture. I'm thinking maybe it's just the strange colors on this one. Eustace is fine, though he seems to be forever scowling. :p Edmund looks okay. I like that pic of him, but in this setting he looks a bit awkward. Maybe it's the way Rhindon sticks up really far and his arms are. He just looks a bit uncomfortable. Maybe in future production posters we'll get a better and clearer view of him

Going on- The whole right side. Let's start with Caspian. I really like him. That one strand of hair in his face could be counted as annoying, but I like him. His hair looks a bit strange, but I think it's the way they edited him in. He's not in the natural background of the pic. I do like that picture though. He does really look like a 'King'. Reep looks great. Though I'm not sure why they put him twice. He looks like our old Reep. :) The chief dufflepad looks like he should, I'm good with him. I must agree that minotaur.... [-( He's actually kinda creepy. his eyes are yellow and his nose is a bit too long, and I get scared if I stare at him too long. Jadis....I wonder where she will appear? :D I guess we'll just have to wait and see! I like the faun and the satyr. They actually look really cool. Is that faun in armor? I like it! I must say I WISH they had left Rd's daughter off. :| I can't say I'm a big fan of her.

Well all in all....*drum role* It's great! And I can't wait for more!! :D :) ;;)

ceppault, It's nice to see that someone likes it. #:-s I was beginning to think no one did! ;))

~Lover

Loyal supporter of Caspian/Susan.
NW Family: Aunty Vi, LadyC, Rose, Chloe
Secret Order of the Swoosh.
Keeper of the Secret Magic
L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby beloved » May 23, 2010 7:22 am

I'm going to have to agree with Starkat a bit here. There were so many kids playing with this display. As for eye catching, I saw that new, bright blue we've all seen and an unmistakable gold head from probably 50 ft away.

Mr. Paul Martin has made me feel better about the movie but worse about the marketing.

I think we really need to see a trailer, and very soon, and with a very little bit of luck, just maybe, it will make us feel better

"And this marvel of all marvels, that he called me Beloved, me who am but as a dog-"     -Emeth
beloved
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby -queenSUSAN- » May 23, 2010 7:37 am

Initial reaction: YAY! More pictures!

After a close study of the poster: Ok. That's just...weird.

It's obviously meant to grab attention, especially those who just LOVE Susan and Peter and who (we assume) cried buckets when Aslan said they could never return to Narnia. And of course, that Favored Character Reepicheep is in two places... 8-|

Aslan: I like the fact that the recurring theme on all posters has been Aslan in a point of centrality, because he is the central character, theme, whatever, in ALL of the Chronicles.

Lucy: Her prominent placement on the poster makes me think that they're trying to promote her as THE most important of the humans....I dunno. I don't know much about marketing, maybe I'm just going off the deep end. ;) But I think Georgie is astonishingly pretty and very grown-up.

Edmund: not much to say, as there's not much to see....I do wish they had made his head a bit larger. And given him a more prominent place. Ed always seems to be a trifle overlooked...

Eustace: Well....he's not very remarkable. We know he's going to be in the movie. That's the important thing.

Peter & Susan: I was so happy to see them as it definitely guarantees a cameo, which is what I have been championing for even before the film was started. Obviously Peter will be at the beginning. Susan's hairstyle looks *similar* to the one at the end of PC, but it's not the same. And her face has definitely changed at bit. All this makes me think that this a new photo from the film (not recycled from PC) and that Susan will appear in the Magician's Book, looking most beautiful as we see here.

Caspian: He's there. Meh.

Reepicheep: I first saw his little figurehead thingy down at the bottom, and I thought, "Oh, that looks cool. And they've put him in a different place than in all the other posters, looks nice. Refreshing change." WRONG!! His double placement just makes me cringe. Someone did not do a good job editing. Obviously they hope to grab Reep-lovers.

Minotaur: He's a Minotaur. Big deal.

the White Witch: When I first heard the WW was on the poster, I really didn't believe it and had to have a good look first. My first thought was that it didn't look like Tilda Swinton at all, and that it was some other character. Then I heard that the WW had been confirmed by Paul Martin as being in the film, in Ed's dream sequence (or *a* dream sequence). As long as that's all it is, I think it's very appropriate, especially for Ed's bad dream. Don't know why she should be bigger than RD though!

Ramandu's Daughter: My first glimpse of her, and I can barely see her! Poop on the poster makers for making her so small. She looks gorgeous though. What little I can see of her. Humph. If you ask me, she should be right up there with Caspian, or at least slightly below him.

Myriad Other Creatures: I can't really tell what anyone else is, or at least appears to be. The picture is too small.

Overall thoughts: The photoshop and editing could've been a ton better, but at least we've got something, and it's attracting the attention of lots of people, which is exactly what it's supposed to be doing. So I suppose I can't complain.

If only RD had been a tiny bit bigger!

~~
-queenSUSAN-
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: on a cliff overlooking the battle, I let one arrow fly--I couldn't resist!

Postby Glumpuddle » May 23, 2010 9:17 am

The teaser poster was possibly the most uninspired piece of Narnia marketing yet.
This is probably the weirdest yet.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

PreviousNext