This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Trailer Screening at Taylor University (Jun. 5) *SPOILERS*

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Trailer Screening at Taylor University (Jun. 5) *SPOILERS*

Postby Eustace » Jun 07, 2010 11:38 am

So, MLG's parents might not be taken by Pug or other slave traders after all.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jun 07, 2010 11:56 am

icarus wrote:And that is one of the big things we all identified beforehand as being the one of the key things to successfully adapating Dawn Treader into a movie - finding a way to tie together all the disparate episodic plot lines into one singular narrative which better fits the standard conventions of cinematic storytelling.

This is exactly what I don't understand! All of the islands are tied together by the plot to find the 7 missing lords! All of the islands either have a lord on them or they find news of the lords (with the exception of burnt island which they could skip in the movie). I don't see how changing the plot from finding the missing lords to finding the missing lord's swords makes the story any more or less episodic! In fact, I think that changing it to looking for the swords makes the entire voyage seem quite shallow. "Who cares about the lords? We just want their swords!" -Is that what we want? Doesn't that seem a bit messed up to you?

Adding a second plot about looking for missing people from a mysterious island sounds even dumber. Is this their plan to "tie the story together"? Sounds like a Sci-fi channel original movie to me, NOT a literary childen's classic. VDT is complete as is. The chapters are tied together very nicely. Claiming that the story is too episodic and needs to be changed sounds like a poor excuse to fiddle with the plot. It reminds me of the old line that PC's flashback makes the story "uncinematic." I'm sorry, but in the hands of a skilled director, the flashback in PC would have worked just fine.

~x( X(

OK, sorry, but I needed to vent a little. I am in need of some hot chocolate. :-l :)] :ympray:
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby icarus » Jun 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Movie Aristotle wrote: This is exactly what I don't understand! All of the islands are tied together by the plot to find the 7 missing lords!

The plot to find the missing lords in the books merely facilitates their progression from one island to the next. It has next to no influence on the events that occur on each island. It also has very little impact on the motivations for the actions of each character whilst on the islands. In that sense it is very much a classic MacGuffin plot device.

It gives them a reason for going from A to B to C, but does not affect what they do at any of those locations. The events that do occur on each island also have no influence on the events that occur on any subsequent islands.

For instance - freeing the slaves on the Lone Islands, breaking the magician's spell on Dufflepud Island, Eustace becoming a Dragon on Dragon Island - those are all essentially individual and self-contained narratives in the book. The aim here is clearly to make all of them relevant to a central objective.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Beginte » Jun 07, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm not against changes in plot. As long as the feeling and spirit of the story is kept, I will not frown. For example, the many changes in Prince Caspian never bothered me, simply because to me, the feeling of the story itself (the return to a changed land, the evil of humans, the Hamletic dilemma of Caspian's) wasn't altered, at least for me.

And so, I'm rather optimistic about VoDT.

But, what worries me, is that I'm afraid they make it a Lucy film, which to me would be awful. Ever since I read the books as as a kid, Caspian was my favourite character, and while PC is a Pevensies book, VoDT is Caspian's story to me. It's Caspian's voyage, Caspian's test as a leader out of his land, Caspian's journey of self-discovery... Caspian's odyssey, so to speak. And so, I desperately hope it won't be turned into a Lucy story, I wouldn't bear that! :-s

To me, in VoDT we explore Caspian, his nature, the changes he underwent, and I associate with him while living the adventures. I really, really hope that if it won't be his film, then at least it won't be anybody else's, just a 'group voyage' where everyone's character is as important as others.
I've seen the movie 9 times!!! (PC)
I've seen the movie 7 times!!! (VoDT) And loved it!
Proud member of the C+S club
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 07, 2010 1:28 pm

yay! I am so excited about this! :D awesomeness! :D this is great news! I am not worried about any of the events in VotDT! :ymhug: :D :)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 07, 2010 1:28 pm

While I agree mostly to Beginte's observation about Caspian I can't help but feel that I want the hero of the story to be AReepicheep or Eustace, as long as they bring the change in Caspian himself. Although Lucy very well mentions something to Caspian in the end which changes Caspian's mind about sailing on the the end of the world, his love for RD aka Lilliandil and his purpose in leading the Narnian's as their Rightful King.

I am also sort of worried that this might be a Lucy film as well and I'm not bothered by any of the other changes either. The changes sound thought out properly and very epic. I love it and I can't wait.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Beginte » Jun 07, 2010 1:40 pm

Why, thank you, DamselJillPole :) Quite frankly, I thought I'd be lynched for my words here, as some people seem thrilled about the prospect of Lucy film. Yes, I agree, Eustace film would be good as well, since the creators need to 'sell him', so to speak, to the public, in order for SC to be greenlit, which I very much hope for! There is hope, as Barnes mentioned he has a loose contract for four films, the fourth I presume would be his appearance at the end of LB. Still, my vehement love for Caspian shouts for him to be the main character :p

Indeed, I agree, the changes seem well thought out and I hope they indeed will bring even more pathos and epic feeling to the story! :D I hope the trailer will be emitted befoe ToyStory 3 in my forsaken country as well!
I've seen the movie 9 times!!! (PC)
I've seen the movie 7 times!!! (VoDT) And loved it!
Proud member of the C+S club
Av & sig by me
Beginte
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby InklingsNut8472 » Jun 07, 2010 2:06 pm

I wasn't particularly bothered by any of the information I learned at the screening. If you want a movie that's almost exactly like the book, you would have to film a miniseries ala A&E's 1995 adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice." Short of that, a person who's upset about any major change to the book should probably stick with the book itself.

Whatever they end up doing to VDT, I'm sure it will be a good film in and of itself. In this day and age of trash and garbage and junk films like (fill in the blank), that's saying a lot. So it would be sad to let VDT fail at the box office just because we don't like changes and additions to the story. A family-friendly film like VDT deserves a rousing ovation, and it's clear the filmmakers are concerned about staying (mostly) true to the book.

I saw PC multiple times in the theatre even though I wasn't crazy about the ending. For me, the Susan/Caspian kiss was a large part of that.

But what Devin Brown said about that scene makes sense. It is true to both characters. Susan becomes interested in romance later in LB and Caspian expresses his romantic tendencies to Ramandu's daughter in VDT. So even though it wasn't in the book, it works. I am not nearly as bothered by the idea as I once was.

All in all, I am thrilled with what I've seen and heard. December, here we come!
~InklingsNut8472
State of Indiana, USA
Future Inhabitant of Aslan's Country

"I have come home at last. This is my real country. I belong here. This is the land I've been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now!"
InklingsNut8472
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby RevelinginWonder » Jun 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Beginte Hmm, I never really thought about it being 'Caspian's story'. I always saw this book as everyone's story. ((Now I need to go read it again, which I most certainly will do.)) I always saw it as a Eustace story, as DamselJillPole said. I do hope they don't go the Lucy route, although I am sure it will at least be partly her story as well. It's good to hear new perspectives! They give one food for thought.

InklingsNut8472 wrote:
Whatever they end up doing to VDT, I'm sure it will be a good film in and of itself. In this day and age of trash and garbage and junk films like (fill in the blank), that's saying a lot. So it would be sad to let VDT fail at the box office just because we don't like changes and additions to the story. A family-friendly film like VDT deserves a rousing ovation, and it's clear the filmmakers are concerned about staying (mostly) true to the book.

:ymapplause: I absolutely love the way you have stated this. Perfect. I totally agree with you!

Another thing I was just thinking about is the part where Lucy see's the Mer-people battle from the side of the ship. Ever since they made the first one, I looked forward to VoDT, and I always hoped they would put it in the film... even if it is small... I am not sure they will, as it doesn't seem to have a huge effect on the story. Just a thought! ;)

Thank you to Djaq for the marvelous signature!

NWeb siblings: pogginfan and Windsong!
RevelinginWonder
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ceppault » Jun 07, 2010 2:33 pm

InklingsNut8472 wrote:I wasn't particularly bothered ... a person who's upset about any major change to the book should probably stick with the book itself.
I liked the way you expressed this. That said, I have at least one friend that will stick with the books.

Likewise, I get the impression it is going to be a good movie and be faithful enough to the book to have the majority of fans embrace it. I have yet to read a negative review of the super trailer.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby adamie » Jun 07, 2010 2:45 pm

InklingsNut8472 wrote:I wasn't particularly bothered by any of the information I learned at the screening. If you want a movie that's almost exactly like the book, you would have to film a miniseries ala A&E's 1995 adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice." Short of that, a person who's upset about any major change to the book should probably stick with the book itself.

Well, I think you have a point there. A film is a film, not a book, after all. And sometimes it is necessary. A good example is in LOTR:TT, when Faramir takes the hobbits to Osgiliath. It was the opposite from the book, but it made his character more credible, and it made it possible for him to grow into the character from the books, so in the end, his character came out stronger. So that's good adaptation.

But all I can see now, are some pretty mayor changes of which I do not know any reason for their existence, nor can I think of any reason why these changes would add anything to the film. If they do, I'll be more than happy, but for now, I'll just wait and see...
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Kotarki » Jun 07, 2010 3:39 pm

I believe the whole changing of lines in the trailer from "Alberta" to "Mother" may be for the trailer only. It would not be the first time, filmmakers have frequently used lines/clips in the trailers and not used them in the movie many in countless movie trailers. ("Everything you know is about to change.") It could have been changed for the trailer specifically, because non-Narnia fans would hear "Alberta" and wonder to themselves, "Who is this Alberta character?" having never heard of the character before. Hearing "Mother" takes away that awkwardness in the trailer, and "Alberta" could easily be used in the movie.
Kotarki
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 07, 2010 3:48 pm

Maybe he'll go "Alberta! Harold...Harold! Mother!!!" :D =))

He'll probably think that they are not listening to him because they hate being called by their names by their own son and decided okay I'm going to scream mommy. :D

I can't wait to see Eustace's moments in the trailer. i know for a fact that I'm going to laugh. :ymapplause:
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby daughter of the King » Jun 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Well, my first reaction was: that makes sense with what we know so far, still wish the swords weren't a factor, wait, Eustace called Alberta "Mother?"

It looks like Rhince is the MLG's uncle. However, Lucy tells Gael that they'll find her mother. I wonder if her father is someone other than Rhince or perhaps her father is dead?
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 07, 2010 4:39 pm

No I still believe Rhince is Gael's father. i think that person got it mixed up because some one said when they saw the super trailer heard Gael talking to Lucy about finding her missing mother. Her aunt might be someone in the beginning with no huge part. It makes me think how this movie is going to begin. I keep wondering if it's going to open up in the land of Narnia on this island where people are disappearing. I wonder if it has to do with Terebinthia pirates taking them. I remembered in the book that Caspian and his crew were being chased by them. I wonder if they played that out. :D ;)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby daughter of the King » Jun 07, 2010 5:12 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:No I still believe Rhince is Gael's father.

So do I. But the latetest information indicates that both of her parents disappear, not just her mother. Are they separated and Rhince is found earlier?

DamselJillPole wrote:I keep wondering if it's going to open up in the land of Narnia on this island where people are disappearing.

I hadn't thought of that, but I hope not. One of the biggest problems with the first two was the fast-paced beginning. It was nice to get the ball rolling, but both movies slowed down quite a bit after the first five-ten minutes, which really hurt the overall pace. Beginning in England I think will work better.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

PreviousNext