This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Location of Mystery - Where are the Pevensies?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: The Location of Mystery - Where are the Pevensies?

Postby MaidenofNarnia » Jun 18, 2010 6:36 pm

I was actually happy to see Susan and Peter in the trailer. My vote is with those who have said that it was possibly a dream or vision . This theory makes the most sense. It also neatly fits into the film without upsetting the story. To me and as others have stated I think they are in Narnia . I hope this scene is actually in the movie and not just some kind of gimmick . That would be a let down to see them in the trailer and then not really be in the movie. I doubt this is the case,though. (Someone had this theory.) I think it will be a dream or vision by Lucy . Its the most realistic option. Either way I`m glad they managed to squeeze them into the movie.
MaidenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby MountainFireflower » Jun 18, 2010 6:41 pm

7chronicles: Your third idea would make a beautiful scene. It's something I would really love to see, actually. I think it would be sweet, and if done the right way, a meaningful tribute to the adventure that's ending...and the one that's going to begin. :) Great idea!!
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Jun 19, 2010 1:28 pm

I really like that last idea 7Chronicles! I would BAWL if that happened in the movie. A big tearjerker. But it's a good idea :D .
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby 7chronicles » Jun 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks, MountainFireflower and Glenstorm the Great! :D
I would be happy if that was what the scene was, and yes I would probably shed a tear or two. :(( :p :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby icarus » Jun 19, 2010 8:02 pm

tenthofthatname wrote:I feel like those blocks have the same design as the pillars in Coriakin's house, just in different colors.

Agreed. I think the similarity between the style of pillars in Coriakin's House and the style of pillars in those Pevensie shots are just too great to be ignored (see comparison photo below). Granted they aren't the exact same pillars, the colours are completely different, and some of the minor detailing is different, but overall i think they are more than similar enough in terms of architectural style for us to conclude that the shots of the four Pevensies are from Coriakin's Island.

Pillar Comp.jpg
Pillar Comp.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 10673 times

The lighting in the Pevensie shots looks very much like its shot outdoors, and the presence of greenery in the background of a few of the shots would also seem to confirm this. Therefore, coupled with the previous point about the architectural style of the pillars matching those from Coriakin's study, then you would have to conclude that the shots of the four Pevensies are from the garden outside Coriakin's house. So that would be the "where", which would just leave the "why"....

Tony Nixon said that Peter and Susan "do not make it back to Narnia" and that "All is not what it seems". Therefore you'd have to assume there is some sort of magic at work. Sticking with the previous assumption that the scene is set outside Coriakin's house, then you might also have to assume that it is a direct result of Coriakin's magic, and not as a result of Lucy reading from the book of spells, as surely she would still be indoors in such an instance? Exactly why Coriakin may want to conjure up an image of the 4 pevensies? Who knows.... To intimidate the dufflepuds perhaps? No idea.... Also, whether or not Lucy and Edmund themselves would be "real" in these shots, or whether or not they would be considered magical illusions as with Peter and Susan, i have no idea....
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby decarus » Jun 19, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks for the photo icarus. Is it at all possible that the lone islands and the magicians island are the same thing?
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MountainFireflower » Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm

decarus: It is possible, although I don't quite see how it would work with the plot. It's also something I don't want to happen. :p
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby decarus » Jun 19, 2010 10:17 pm

Yeah, i am not sure how i feel about it either. I just think that we know that the Lone Islands and the Magician's Island are both before Eustace becomes a dragon, so i just wondered if anyone knew anything about the possibility of them being the same island.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby icarus » Jun 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Given how different in style the Lone Islands and Coriakin's Island appear in the movie (the former being very dirty and gritty, the latter being very colourful and magical) i honestly can't see those two as being the islands that got merged.

That said, it seems very likely that Coriakin's Island will now be very early on in the movie, possibly the second island after The Lone Islands. I believe that for three reasons - Firstly because in the trailer (and other reports), Coriakin appears to be delivering alot of exposition to the characters about the nature of the quest to come, something you would usually expect to be in the first act of the movie. Secondly because he also unfurls a big long map, which looks to me to be a map of the route they will take (similar to the Pauline Baynes one seen in the inside cover of most VDT books) which would seem to have several islands on it, and which again would seem to suggest he is closer to the beginning of the journey than the end of the journey. And thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, because Coriakin warns the characters that they will each be tested in the journey to come - a comment which wouldn't make any sense at all if they had already encountered and overcome Dragon Island and Deathwater Island (as they do in the book).
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jun 20, 2010 12:19 am

Susan's foreshadowing is very important, still, as Lewis himself intended to redeem her, I believe the filmmakers should end LB with a scene of Susan's redemption - that would be a beautiful ultimate end to the cover and front page of the story, as they set off to their greatest adventures together.

Yes, this should be a scene after the credits.

7chronicles wrote:So the Narnia stuff really isn’t there they are just walking in England but we see it because we know what they are thinking in their Hearts and minds.
I Hope this makes sense, I wish I could remember a movie where there is a scene like this for an example.

A Series of Unfortunate Events is a movie like this. At the end of the film, the Baudelaire Children imagine the burnt ruins of their house as it used to be, as it will always be in their hearts and minds.

My personal guess though, is that we are seeing something from the pages of the magic book. Perhaps this has something to do with all of the princes of Narnia fighting over the beauty of Lucy? Or maybe one of the other spells... I’ll have to read this book again to get more ideas.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby HighQueenofNarnia » Jun 23, 2010 7:34 pm

I have no clue where they are... in fact I was wondering that myself. A flashback from the Golden Age is improbable because 1) Lucy and Edmund are in their VotDT clothes and 2) where would that conceivably fit? At the end of VotDT: unless Peter and Susan are some sort of welcoming party at the World's End or they are somehow magically summoned to Coriakin's Island via the Book of Spells, I don't see how they'd really fit at all.

Personally, I think that they're in Narnia. With the red building and the gold banner... it just seems more Narnian (or Lone Islanderish) than anything else. The question of the hour: WHY are they in Narnia? Or anywhere else for that matter?

As to the expressions on the Pevensies' faces: they don't look "not all there". They look determined. Destined. They're all walking firmly, with a purpose. They all have set chins. Slightly drawn eyebrows. True, their eyes look somewhere distant, but it's not a "spaced" look or absent-minded. They've got an expression that I can't really describe. But they DO know where they're going, why they're going there, and what they're going to do once they get there. They have a look of destiny and purpose. I know that if you're not used to it that it will freak you out and make you think that they have lost their minds. It does that to people. (Trust me, I get that same look all the time, and it can creep people out!) They've got set lips, chins up, very somber looking, I agree. No hint of a question in their face. I wish I could find a good word to describe what I'm feeling when I see their faces. Respect. Identification. Destiny (I know that this word is overused, but it's a good word choice for this particular feeling).
Pray for Skandar member! PM Benjamin to join!
I saw the film on Opening Day!
When all else fails, read the Instructions!
HighQueenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby decarus » Jun 23, 2010 8:00 pm

I don't think they are at the end of the world either.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 23, 2010 8:01 pm

That is very nice what you found icarus! I'm thinking that it must be the same island they are on, same room or the same pillars reused and that they repainted it for a different scene. At least we are getting somewhere though :ymapplause:
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste » Jun 23, 2010 10:58 pm

I think it is certainly either some sort of farewell, or a flashback. I don't think it's anything major, and I'm not at all worried over it. I'm actually rather excited to see what they've come up with for that scene, I do enjoy seeing anything with the four Pevensies together. It just looks like an official goodbye to the Pevensies' presence in the Narnian world, we wont be seeing them untill the Last Battle (save Susan).
Pray for Skandar member!

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -C.S. Lewis
HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby White Wizard » Jun 23, 2010 11:56 pm

This will be the last movie of a 'Pevencie trilogy', the last time Lucy and Edmund will have an adventure in Narnia untill the Last Battle. The feeling I got from the last part of the trailer, and with Aslan's line of their adventure starting now, is about moving on from Narnia and living their own lives in our world. I think it will be even more profound and more established in the movie with the 'and there I have another name' line from Aslan. They said the film is all about character.

In that part it shows Susan, then Peter, then Lucy and then Edmund. Lucy replaces Susan and Edmund replaces Peter- that's what it initially made me think of. Not in terms of characters journey's reflecting each other, but about Lucy and Edmund being able to live their lives without their older siblings guiding them, helping them. The youngest siblings are growing up and maturing, being their own person and having their own power. It is very exciting to find out what they will do for this scene in the film, if it is even in the film. I don't mind that Susan and Peter will be in the movie, I think what they are doing is very clever and is smart adaptation.
White Wizard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby decarus » Jun 24, 2010 4:44 am

I don't think it is a flashback. That just doesn't make sense to me.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext