This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnia: The Filming Locations

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: VDT Production Locations

Postby ceppault » Nov 19, 2009 7:19 am

icarus wrote:The quarry location i would also guess at being Dragon Island too. Though i guess that is kind of obvious, given that the description of the Dragon's valley in VDT is pretty much near enough identical to that of a gravel quarry.
I agree that White Island and the quarry will be seen as Dragon Island as that seems such a good fit. As I've been cruising around Google Earth, I have come to understand how many different locations separated by long distances can be used to represent one local area in a story.

It is rare for me to double-post in a topic, but it has been longer than a week. Nor will I bump unless something totally cool. What I find totally cool, however, may not be shared enthusiasm. ;))

The area of Cleveland Point has been updated with an image from July 2009. One can clearly see the gimbal the Dawn Treader is built on. It would have been nice to see the Dawn Treader, but image resolution would not have been good enough to pick out anything very interesting. (click here)

Other additions:

Adersbacher Felsenstadt, Czech Republic. This National Park served as background for winter exterior shots in LWW. I suspect these were completed by 2nd Unit.

Hobsonville Aerodrome, NZ. This "hangar" was the soundstage for the train station and a number of scenes in LWW. Scenes from A Bridge to Terabithia were filmed here too. It took some sorting to find this location. I am reasonably certain this is the building, and the various pieces of puzzle seem to fit nicely. Not so much was it a hangar but new construction by a company that made expensive yachts. Articles like this one helped a lot. This area was a military base until 2002 but is now developed for commercial and residential use. :-B
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby icarus » Nov 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Another new VDT location for the map - Tangalooma Beach on Moreton Island.

Narnia Comes to Tangalooma 29-10-2009
Tangalooma.jpg
Tangalooma.jpg (4.94 KiB) Viewed 40646 times

A short while ago some footage for the next Narnia film was being shot at Tangalooma. The shot above is of some of the set up gear that the film crew had. This photo comes from LJ Hoooker Moreton Island agent, Tom Griffiths, taken from just outside his office.

http://www.tangaloomabeachhouse.com.au/ ... s-blog.php
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fantasia » Nov 20, 2009 1:07 pm

*stares really hard* ok, I can't see a set.....

ETA: Oh... set up GEAR hahaha. Helps if I read correctly huh?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ceppault » Nov 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Impressive find, icarus!

Tangalooma Resort, Moreton Island, Qld, Australia.

I guess they could be filming anything there. Perhaps a Unit was sent to have a day at a world-class beach. "Have a good time as long as you come back with some footage we can use in the movie." :-?

Adds & Changes:

Flock Hill, Canterbury, New Zealand. (LWW) The current aerial image is of much better resolution than the previous one and was taken after production was completed.

Homebush, Cantebury, New Zealand. (LWW)

Aslan's How set location. It is clearly visible as the set location for Cair Paravel. I knew the general location for some time, and I have no idea why I did not see this sooner than now. :ymblushing: Added November 26, 2009.

Moeraki River Inlet. By a NarniaWeb news report here, I finally realized where this site was located. In Perry Moore's companion guide, it was not specified for a reason. A local news report out of New Zealand pinned the location. In PC, the Pevensies have their introduction to Trumpkin.

Rudolfinum, Prague, Czech Republic. This music auditorium in Prague provided a set for PC. Lucy and Susan are seen outside this building as it plays a role as the entry to the Strand tube station in London. Yes, the lions can be seen outside the entrance. I thought at first those lions were set pieces - I guess not.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fantasia » Dec 08, 2009 10:17 am

I can't believe I'm actually pointing out a missed location. :O I don't usually know anything about this type of thing.
But I was looking through your LWW map and there was one shot filmed in Montana... the shot where Aslan, Lucy and Susan are running to the Witch's house and Susan says "where are we going?"
Obviously none of those three were in Montana, but the background in that shot is from there.
Source: coracle. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ceppault » Dec 09, 2009 8:40 am

*feels wounded ... limps about pathetically ... weeps horribly ... lays about*

Over it.

I've never been sure what to do with the 2nd Unit work in Montana. Three areas were filmed to include Glacier National Park.

I've been watching LWW for noted scenes to determine what mountain range is in the background. It may be a composite of several. For instance, a river in Poland was filmed for its water flow; the water flow footage was used in the scene when Lucy, Susan, and Peter are floating down the river.

This is one of those times I would like to ask Dean Wright questions. Then again, that would only be cheating myself. :D

... and I would never refuse help here. :p
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby icarus » Dec 09, 2009 12:20 pm

Somewhat amazingly, someone actually managed to get a photo of the 2nd unit filming at White Island (or at least, filming from a boat offshore at White Island). From the looks of their other photos, this person was on a guided tour of the Volcano at the time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lynnith/4170501789/

If you look closely at the boat you will see the same brown-patterned marquees they used during the shoot at Cleveland Point!

Full Size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lynnith/41 ... 9/sizes/o/
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ceppault » Dec 17, 2009 8:34 pm

icarus wrote:Somewhat amazingly, someone actually managed to get a photo of the 2nd unit filming at White Island ...
Unreal. :) Looking forward to see how the scenery is used.

fantasia_kitty wrote:I can't believe I'm actually pointing out a missed location ... and there was one shot filmed in Montana ...
ceppault wrote:I've been watching LWW for noted scenes to determine what mountain range is in the background.
I finally figured it out after going through a lot of pics. Grinnell Point in Glacier National Park is it. This is a lower eastern peak of Mount Grinnell. It is perhaps one of the most photographed sights in this US national park.

Two other communities are mentioned as 2nd Unit locations by the Montana Film Office: Helmville and St Ignatius. I think it would be difficult at best to associate scenery in LWW without having specific knowledge of what was obtained where. If consistent with other scenes, a variety of locations are a composite of many.

Do we need to rename this topic, Chronicles of Narnia Production Locations? ;))

Is it just me, or does it seem 2nd Unit teams have a really tough job? If they did not camp out, they may have had to rough it here.
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby littlgriz » Dec 18, 2009 10:11 am

thay look grate
hi thanks fore riting me
im a Member of the Gollum/Smeagol appreciation club"
littlgriz
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Narnia: The Filming Locations

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 22, 2009 1:37 pm

icarus: that is SO cool! that is one big boat that second unit used..... :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby ceppault » Dec 24, 2009 10:07 am

Nothing new here.

Added Tahekora, Auckland, New Zealand. The Pevensies stop at Coomb Halt was likely filmed here. The location is consistent with the place name as mentioned in this IGN article. A dirt road crosses the train tracks, with the local terrain and trees closely matching the high-altitude image on Google Maps to the scene in LWW. I have not found any local pictures of the site.

Henderson Valley Studios, Studio One, had the set for the Pevensies crossing the frozen river. When the Pevensies are caught in the wave of water crashing down, that is filmed later at Barrandov Studios - Stage 6.

I have avoided adding placemarks without some evidence to suspect that it is accurately placed.
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fantasia » Dec 29, 2009 3:10 pm

So I'm finding this latest WotS somewhat amusing "We went out there with a film team, and left one guy with them to ensure they did not fall into any holes." :)) But having said that, it does confirm that they did film ON the island, not just distance shots of the island.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Dec 30, 2009 1:57 pm

I cannot WAIT for this movie to come out! I get more antsey(is that a word?)every time more information comes out!!!
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby GlimGlum » Dec 30, 2009 9:12 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:But having said that, it does confirm that they did film ON the island, not just distance shots of the island.

That is very nice to know. I couldn't imagine VDT being filmed without any footage from an actual island. I mean, that is the least that could be done to honor the book; film something on a real island. :-o

Well, I'm sure we will all be looking forward to the different "island" scenes come Dec. 10th, 2010. :D
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby ramagut » Jan 04, 2010 11:13 am

ok, ceppault, I've been to this thread. Are you happy now? And I didn't look at much, so I'm still spoiler free. :P At least I know what you spend most of your time doing. Carry on, my map-geek! :ymhug:
ramagut
Moderator Emeritus
Mumsie Mod

Postby ceppault » Jan 05, 2010 5:17 pm

ramagut wrote:Carry on, my map-geek! :ymhug:
Aww. *feels warm and fuzzy*

GlimGlum wrote:I couldn't imagine VDT being filmed without any footage from an actual island.
I suspect there will be other island locations we wont hear about until more information is released about VDT. For instance, we did not know about filming in a Qld quarry until it was stated in an interview. 2nd Unit can get around without too much of a fuss being made about it.
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

PreviousNext