This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnia: The Filming Locations

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Narnia: The Filming Locations

Postby ceppault » Oct 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Thank you, Icarus, for sharing your blank backgrounds in this post (click here).

It does appear the backgrounds have artwork based on Whakaari/White Island (The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Filming Locations).

A view of the whole island on Flickr (click here).

Looking in on Wilson Bay (click here). Definitely a good feel for Dragon Island.

In reference to Icarus' post;

The Beach at Night appears to be Wilson Bay, noting Pinnacle Head to the left in the image. (Reference Map Sign at Whakaari/White Island on Flickr).

The Rock Area is apparently based on a view of Shark Bay to the left, Pinnacle Head in the middle, and Wilson Bay to the right (View on Flickr).

The integration of so many places appears to be seamless. Really kinda cool. Other goods examples of 2nd Unit locations where no cast shooting was done, but are integrated into the movie:

The Pravcice Gate (Pravčická brána).

Highley Railway Station, Shropshire, UK.

I do like the way Dragon Island is presented, but it is certainly not the way I pictured it when I read the book. No worries. It works. :)
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Dinode » Oct 03, 2010 2:08 pm

Dragon island was described as having an unforgiving look about it, and the island looks so unforgiving, especially the cave at night, it's scary. They chose a good spot. :D
Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby icarus » Oct 12, 2010 11:48 am

That's some fantastic detective work on the Dragon Island locations Ceppault. :)

Found another report of another country which was scouted as a potential location for Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Croatia.

According to Zagreb daily Jutarnji List, producers of The Chronicles of Narnia visited Croatia in early 2009; they intended to pay homage to the exquisitely beautiful Croatian coast, by filming all of their underwater scenes here.

http://www.balkanalysis.com/croatia/201 ... erminator/

http://www.jutarnji.hr/kronike-iz-narni ... li/846427/
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Oct 16, 2010 12:18 pm

A little fact-sheet from Screen Queensland which lists a shooting location in South East Queensland which i have not heard of yet - "Jacob's Well".

http://www.screenqueensland.com.au/pftc ... er_rev.pdf

They've also got a fact-sheet about some of the Water Tank Facilities:

http://www.screenqueensland.com.au/pftc ... _Tanks.pdf
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ceppault » Oct 17, 2010 9:52 am

Thank you Icarus. Very interesting find and not only for what Screen Queensland has listed but also for what is not listed. :-?

I am curious if this site had some filming done there at a specific place or if it was a support location for filming on South Stradbroke Island.

Asked IMDb to change Yatala to Stapylton (Thank you, Angelina). I don't think someone has cared to followup on my request - busy folks, I suppose.

I added Jacobs Well to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Filming Locations.

Changed Jumpinpin Channel to South Stradbroke Island, as this is reasonably solid confirmation of the actual location.

Edit:

And in the department of for what its worth. Google Earth - not Google Maps - has the ability to View Historical Imagery. When viewing the area of Hobsonville Aerodrome for August 2004, it shows what I believe are all the vehicles and equipment for production of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. At best one can see a lot of vehicles and perhaps a number of trailers. :-B
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ceppault » Nov 27, 2010 8:09 pm

Yes. I know. Double post. Its been 45 days. :p Nor am I bumping the topic deliberately.

Just thought this kinda cool. Never expected it. Although I suspect the map geeks like myself (to include Icarus) are not too many.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Filming Locations

2000 Views as of today. Glad folks enjoyed using it. :)
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Ithilwen » Nov 29, 2010 1:11 am

Do you think they chose a good location for the slave market? It looks a little Calormen-ish to me... :-s

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 29, 2010 3:46 am

Í am just happy they used Stradbroke Island i loved that place i went their many times when i was younger.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby ceppault » Nov 30, 2010 7:01 am

Eustace+Jill wrote:Do you think they chose a good location for the slave market? It looks a little Calormen-ish to me.
Fairly certain it was a set built on the carpark at Village Roadshow Studios. Need to have my books handy, but was Pug the slave trader Calormen? Hmm.

It would be fun to visit Stradbroke Island and the area around there. I think someone mentioned sandflies, but those may be seasonal.
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 30, 2010 4:33 pm

yes theycome in the summer i think but the place i live now is much worse. I am just annoyed that i don't live there anymore. :((
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 04, 2010 8:07 pm

Okay, I'm back. I didn't manage to see any VDT stuff in the Movie World vicinity (it's very much removed from the public eye). I only managed to visit Cleveland Point Park and it was good to go there but quite a drive and also a bit disappointing since there isn't much to show for it (and there wasn't even a VDT plaque). My family and I arrived there in really choppy (rough) weather, so it wasn't ideal for photos but my brother still managed to take a few. Photos to come soon. Please don't expect too much.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby ceppault » Dec 04, 2010 8:51 pm

Looking foward to the pics you do have, if only very much for the sake of being curious. I understand the round concrete pad is not east to miss.
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 04, 2010 9:33 pm

Where did they film the final beach scene?

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 04, 2010 10:14 pm

StateofGreen, South Stradbroke Island. The very tip of the island.

Okay, here are the photos of Cleveland Point Park, Gold Coast, Queensland:

Views from the platform.

The concrete platform on which the DT ship and gimbal sat, was created in a section of the Cleveland Point Park carpark. At the time of shooting there was more to see but all that remains as a reminder of the movie-shooting is the concrete platform surrounded by wooden posts.

My brother and I exploring the platform.

Me trying not to get blown into the ocean.

The posts extend around the carpark, towards the ocean (but there are none on that side). The platform is absolutely massive and we know from photos and behind the scenes footage, that the ship's length extended well beyond it. In the centre, there is a hole (now filled in with cement) and a rectangular hole beside it (also filled in). This is probably where the gimbal was bolted in and where the mechanics to power said gimbal were stored/hidden away. Surrounding these filled-in holes are a series of large bolts. That's it. No plaque, nothing. :(
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby ceppault » Dec 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Truly appears to be a blustery day there on Cleveland Point! I get the impression one would not know what that concrete base was for unless one already knew so.
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ceppault » Dec 28, 2010 7:56 am

Narnia Movie News has a report by glumPuddle about this article in fxguide.

Quite certain the scenes of Eustace (Will Poulter) walking along and falling into the hole on Dragon Island were shot at Village Roadshow on this set seen in overhead view from NearMap. The digital recreation of Dragon Island was added - which is of course based on Whakaari/White Island looking out. Cinesite did a terrific job!

*will add more*

Remember this news article in Bayside Bulletin when we were all awaiting more Dawn Treader news? We can see it on the set with the blue screen in background - it becomes Cambridge in front of Kings College Gatehouse.
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

PreviousNext