This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ramandu's daughter/Lilliandil - Laura Brent

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Ramandu's daughter - Laura Brent

Postby decarus » Jun 01, 2010 6:25 pm

The girl from Legend of the Seeker. You guys would find that episode of all the Legend episodes to find. That is a great show and she was pretty good in it even if i didn't like her character. At least she was disappeared from history, so it is all for the best.

I wish Ramandu's daughter didn't have a name, but it isn't the end all. Douglas Gresham coming up with it does not makes me feel better about it at all.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby -queenSUSAN- » Jun 01, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm kind of on the fence with this one, like almost everyone else....I didn't want them to give her a name because, first and foremost, C. S. Lewis didn't. Second, it adds to the "mystery". Third, I knew no one outside of Jack himself would be able to come up with anything the least bit original and "Narnian".

Having said all that, I like the name (I guess). It goes with 'Rilian', as many people have pointed out. :D And RD does look like a lily - very fair and white, shining all over.

I like the fact that Gresham came up with the name. sweetlilgirlie, I think most people appreciate that fact because Gresham himself said that often Jack would discuss the Chronicles and their characters with him, and as such he is probably the only living person who knows that much about Narnia. Personally, I was pretty much won over to the change by the fact that he chose it; otherwise, I don't think I would have gone for it.

~~
-queenSUSAN-
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: on a cliff overlooking the battle, I let one arrow fly--I couldn't resist!

Postby Reepi » Jun 01, 2010 7:01 pm

I only hope that even though they have named her, that her name is never mentioned in the movie at all (similar to how they named the lords, but their names were never mentioned). Considering how many times we heard "Cornelius" in PC.., but then as she is a love interest, _of course_ her name will have to be mentioned, already when Caspian, infatuated upon first seeing her, has to ask: "What's your name?".
eugh.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby 7chronicles » Jun 01, 2010 7:03 pm

@sweetlilgurlie:I know what your saying, Gresham is not Lewis. I couldn’t agree more, but my reasoning is what both Valiant_Lucy and queenSUSAN said above:

Valiant_Lucy wrote:I don't really think that the general opinion is Douglas Gresham = Lewis = perfectly okay... I certainly don't think so. It's just that, if RD was going to have a name, it is kinda cool that Lewis's stepson got the job of choosing it. :D

-queenSUSAN- wrote:I like the fact that Gresham came up with the name. sweetlilgirlie, I think most people appreciate that fact because Gresham himself said that often Jack would discuss the Chronicles and their characters with him, and as such he is probably the only living person who knows that much about Narnia.

Thanks to both of you, that’s exactly why I was exited and glad that Douglas Gresham was the one who choose the her name! :D

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MountainFireflower » Jun 01, 2010 7:56 pm

-queenSUSAN- wrote:I like the fact that Gresham came up with the name. sweetlilgirlie, I think most people appreciate that fact because Gresham himself said that often Jack would discuss the Chronicles and their characters with him, and as such he is probably the only living person who knows that much about Narnia. Personally, I was pretty much won over to the change by the fact that he chose it; otherwise, I don't think I would have gone for it.

Yes... the fact that Douglas Gresham chose the name made me a little more okay with the whole idea. While I really would have liked Jack to name her, this is the best we can get and I'm taking it! ;)

I thought about it all day after reading the news story this morning, and I can honestly say, I really do love the name. Although it does sound rather Elvish, that doesn't really bother me because I've always loved Elvish names. And it does add to the starlike mysteriousness of RD. I like the continuity between Lilliandil & Rilian...afterall, as someone said on one of the previous pages, it does help explain why, after 10 Caspians, there is suddenly a Rilian. :p

While it's not terribly original, I think it's something people will remember, rather than Ginnarbrik which is easier to forget. It's simple yet beautiful, which was what I was hoping for. And that's why I like it.

About the pronunciation: I have been pronouncing it Lillian-dill but I hope that it is pronounced Lilli-on-dil or something a bit more original.

So, yes. Overall, I'm happy!
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Actually Reepi I would very much love it if Caspian asked RD her name and called her lilly for short :D ;)

I have a good feeling about this. First RD is on the movie banner, second she has a name and third her role will be expanded so she can have plenty of on screen time with Caspian :)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Reepi » Jun 01, 2010 11:24 pm

If Douglas Gresham thought it would be a great idea to have the Lady of the Green Kirtle in VDT, the fact that he did wouldn't make me feel any more comfortable either.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 02, 2010 12:21 am

It's rather weird you mention that Reepi and for the fact LOGK was a rumor that she'd be in VDT. I actually started a fanfic a year ago set during VDT with Caspian meeting RD aka Lilliandil :D and had LOGK in it to give a Stardust feel to it. I had no idea it was rumored LOGK would actually be in the movie to start trouble. Whoops :-o
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby princess_of_narnia » Jun 02, 2010 7:14 am

Since I heard about this last night, I've been trying to reconcile RD and Lilliandil in my mind. Somehow it just doesn't fit. I don't like the name Lily or Lillian. I'm hoping they have some cool pronunciation. And yes, the first thing I thought of when I heard the name was the lilies at the Utter East. Just not a very star-like name, imo. But I'm hoping it'll grow on me.
Sig by ski_hi_flier Avvy by campgirl
princess_of_narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby PrincessMia241 » Jun 02, 2010 8:53 am

It will only be Lillian+dill if that's exactly how they'll pronounce it. I doubt it.

And sometimes I wish LotR never happened because sooooo many things with even the smattering of an unusual name is branded elvish and "from LotR!" Not just Narnia, lots of things. (little pet peeve there lol) Besides, the only name (in the movies, that I can think of) that ends with "dil" is the light of Elendil, it's not quite as popular an ending. I doubt the normal movie goer will make a connection. And if they do, they can get over it :p Now we don't count as the normal movie-goer, we're obsessed. So compare away haha!

Just no Stargirl lol Somehow that's irritating. Star's Daughter is cool and awesome, but Stargirl is just ech. My opinion totally :)
avy by narniagirl90
PrincessMia241
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Jun 02, 2010 9:30 am

I don't love it. I don't hate it. I don't like it either. It's just blah. I won't die if they mention her name in the movie, but I won't be the happiest camper either. Her not having a name added to the mystery. If Jack thought she needed a name, he would have named her! I just hope they come up with a cool way to pronounce this.

PrincessMia241 wrote:Just no Stargirl lol Somehow that's irritating. Star's Daughter is cool and awesome, but Stargirl is just ech. My opinion totally :)

oh I totally agree.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby decarus » Jun 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Reepi wrote:If Douglas Gresham thought it would be a great idea to have the Lady of the Green Kirtle in VDT, the fact that he did wouldn't make me feel any more comfortable either.

I agree. I have no idea why Doug Gresham coming up with the name makes everyone feel better. Susan and Caspian kissed in the last film. If that can happen then any sort of nonsense can happen.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 02, 2010 2:06 pm

decarus wrote:I agree. I have no idea why Doug Gresham coming up with the name makes everyone feel better. Susan and Caspian kissed in the last film. If that can happen then any sort of nonsense can happen.

Susan initiated the kiss not Caspian.

Furthermore I'm just happy that Douglas didn't think about giving RD a starlike name, it would have been very chiche and too obvious. Yes I agree that he could have done better with the name but this is what we will get. We may not completely like it now but we may like how it's going to be used in the film. I say don't worry. At least Caspian gets to call her by name Lady Lilliandil or Princess Lilliandil. That's going to be so sweet :D ;)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby decarus » Jun 02, 2010 4:21 pm

I don't really care who initiated the kiss. It is still nonsense and regardless Caspian initiated the flirtation with Susan throughout the entire film.

It is true though that a name that was star like would have been worse. Though it is sort of the idea of a name that is weird more then that it is this name. I don't know.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Let's stick to Laura Brent and Lilliandil and Ramandu's Daughter please. No more off-topic Caspian/Susan references. Thank you. :|
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby HM Swanwhite » Jun 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Well, we often wondered if she would get a name and we were right. I remember I started a thread on this topic, I'm sure we had a name similar too that. The first thing I thought when I heard Lilliandil was that it sounds rather elven though it could definitely be a stars name. I'm not too fussed on it as it is too like the name Lillian (which is of course very obvious ;) )!

In my opinion they definitely needed a name because Caspian has to call her something and 'Ramandu's Daughter' just doesn't work. Can you imagine it? :p

I imagine it being said Lil - e - in - dell. (Hope you can understand that.)
Go Marina Erakovic!
I've met Michael Apted!!!
Av & Sig by Me. NWeb sis: ForeverFan
HM Swanwhite
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext