This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ramandu's daughter/Lilliandil - Laura Brent

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Ramandu's daughter - Laura Brent

Postby Lady_Liln » Jun 02, 2010 6:57 pm

HM Swanwhite wrote:Well, we often wondered if she would get a name and we were right. I remember I started a thread on this topic, I'm sure we had a name similar too that.
Here 'tis, if anyone cares to reminisce.

My opinion hasn't changed. It's a nice name, not something I'm in love with, but not something that I wince at hearing either.
Lady_Liln
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Amira Tair » Jun 03, 2010 2:35 am

Lirenel wrote:It reminds me too much of some sort of faux-Elvish name that a LOTR fanfic author might name their Mary Sue.

That is exactly the same I thought when I saw the name for the first time.
I rather liked the idea of her not having a name, for me it gave a mystery which suited her character. However, I thought it was pretty sure that she was going to have one, so this is not such a great surprise. I don't like it, but, anyway, I'm not going to make a big fuss about it.
What I dislike more is Douglas Gresham's role. For me, it is not relevant who created the name. However, many of those who like the name find it cool that he made it up. It would seem that the movie makers wanted to make sure that the name was going to be successful and told him to invent it.
Amira Tair
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Fire Fairy » Jun 03, 2010 3:05 pm

It's funny how much controversy this action has brought up. Personally, I think Lilliandil is a very beautiful name that rolls easily off the tongue (I tend to prefer names that do that :) ). If you say it over and over too many times, it does start to sound like Lillian + dill, but then again, anything said over and over starts to sound weird after a while ;) .

I also must say that I'm very glad Doug Gresham was the one to name her. In Jack's absence, he is, in my opinion, the authority on Narnia matters. He knew Jack personally and has the best idea as to the sort of things Jack would have wanted. I'm very pleased he was the one to name her.

On the subject of whether RD should have even been named at all, I am on the fence. I can see the logic behind giving her a name, since leaving her unnamed in a major motion picture makes no sense at all. But I can also see why a lot of people would have preferred she remained unnamed, since that is the way Jack wrote it and it added to her "mysteriousness" B-) . But I think C.S. Lewis left her unnamed for another reason. I think it is partially because he felt that her name was sacred and that she was a sacred individual O:-) . And to me, that is reason enough.

Btw, for those of you that don't like "Lilliandil", just be glad it isn't "Prunaprisma"!! ;) :p
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 03, 2010 3:19 pm

My own personal opinion on this news about RD having a name should have been kept secret upon a few days to the movies release or not mentioned at all. I think a lot of you are confused and not liking how the named is spelled when it could sound a lot better when pronounced on screen and we'll all think oh that's pretty I wonder how it is spelled. Instead we rely on its' spelling.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Adeona » Jun 03, 2010 5:58 pm

I dislike the name. I expected them to give Ramda a name, and I didn't expect it to be a perfect name, but this is just - ewww. It smacks of an incompetent imagination. I'm glad they're consulting Mr. Gresham for the movies, but as he obviously lacks great inspiration in name-crafting, the production should have chosen someone else, or a team of some-ones, to do the job.

I suppose it certainly could have been worse - Stargirl, Celeste, Selene, other "Starry" or "Fantasy" sounding names would have been very wrong, as well as any other "Normal" or English name.
And I must admit a grudging liking of the Lillian-Rillian connection.

As we are now stuck with it, let me just say that I much prefer the
Lilly-on-dil pronunciation.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Daughter_of_Ramandu » Jun 03, 2010 7:23 pm

I have to agree more with Adeona on this. The name isn't really that creative but I like it a little bit better then a typical star name. I think Douglas could have done better.

I would like it if it were pronounced Lilly-on-dale or Lillian-dale. I suppose it'll sound pretty rather then looking at how it's spelled. :p
Co-Founder of Jilrian Club, Jill/Tirian. PM DamselJillPole or me to join.
A proud Supporter of the Caspian/Lilliandil Romance!
I support Laura Brent!
Daughter_of_Ramandu
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnialover101 » Jun 04, 2010 8:05 am

Reepicheep775 wrote:How do you impale someone with a tomato? :p

Well if one throws them hard enough they are bound to pierce the person and, believe me, angry grammarians are extremely brutal when it comes to grammar mistakes. ;)

I'm quite surprised to see that no one was mentioned this, but did anyone else find Lilliandil's stand in to look more like how you had imagined Ramandu's Daughter to look than Laura Brent does? Perhaps it's just me.

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby fantasia » Jun 04, 2010 8:42 am

... but did anyone else find Lilliandil's stand in to look more like how you had imagined Ramandu's Daughter to look than Laura Brent does?

Well yes, but, the first real decent pictures I've seen of her were screenshots from her role in LotS. And she was so made up there that it was hard to imagine her as Lilli. So I'm not really sure that that counts. ;)) I had no doubt that with the proper makeup and costume that she'd look perfect. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby narnialover101 » Jun 04, 2010 9:08 am

Yes, I see your point, although, besides the LotS pictures, I have seen Laura in a music video, in which you got some pretty good looks at her. Anyways, I'm not at all saying that I don't think Laura will do a good job, because I think she will, I just happen to think her stand in looks more like the Ramandu's Daughter I imagined.

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby stars_daughter17 » Jun 04, 2010 9:51 am

I personally really like the name Lilliandil! Maybe part of the reason is I have a good friend named Lillian, but I think it will fit her great! :) I'm so excited to see the trailer coming up! hopefully it will have a few good shots of Lilliandil... (it feels weird not saying RD or Ramandu's Daughter!!)
stars_daughter17
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby MountainFireflower » Jun 04, 2010 11:17 am

I agree, it's odd not to call her RD or Ramda or Ramandu's Daughter! That said, I think I'm used to Lilliandil and I really like it now!
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 04, 2010 1:37 pm

I kind of agree with narnialover101, the picture of the stand in looked very RD like. however the casting directors had made their decision upon Laura Brent and they knew what they're doing and I like how Laura Brent looks on the banner. Like fantasia_kitty I wasn't fond of the makeup she was wearing in LOTS but she sure is a great actress whose voice sounds pure like a stars. I'm still a supporter.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 04, 2010 1:42 pm

narnialover101: I think they both look like what RD should look like.....I won't know for sure until I see Laura Brent in the movie!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Daughter_of_Ramandu » Jun 04, 2010 4:57 pm

Yes I agree Laura brent and her stand in both look like an RD, but I'm still all for Laura looking like the perfect RD. She just steps out like the illustration in the book on the banner. Laura will do a fantastic job. ;)
Co-Founder of Jilrian Club, Jill/Tirian. PM DamselJillPole or me to join.
A proud Supporter of the Caspian/Lilliandil Romance!
I support Laura Brent!
Daughter_of_Ramandu
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 05, 2010 2:02 pm

^^ ditto! I can't wait to see her in the movie! when I saw her in the poster, I was totally excited! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby coracle » Jun 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Adeona wrote:I dislike the name. I expected them to give Ramda a name, and I didn't expect it to be a perfect name, but this is just - ewww. It smacks of an incompetent imagination. I'm glad they're consulting Mr. Gresham for the movies, but as he obviously lacks great inspiration in name-crafting, the production should have chosen someone else, or a team of some-ones, to do the job.

Firstly, Mr Gresham IS "the production" - he is executive producer on this film.
Secondly, he IS the head of the Lewis estate, and makes decisions on its behalf. He grew up with C.S.Lewis, and is the best person today for Narnian name making.
Thirdly, I have heard his explanation of the name, which was designed to be Narnian, with the parallel to Rilian and to the star name endings (Alambil, Ramandu, etc)

Please remember to check that what you have written is respectful.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

PreviousNext