This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ramandu's daughter/Lilliandil - Laura Brent

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Ramandu's daughter/Lilliandil - Laura Brent

Postby joy93 » Aug 26, 2010 8:48 am

I really hope she has more scene time too!!!! :) I have never liked the whole Caspian/Susian thing. I really hope they try to put things right!!! ;) Oh and DamselJillPole great website!!!!!!! :ymapplause:

I SUPPORT THE ORRIGINAL ROMANCE WRITTEN BY C.S.LEWIS!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
joy93
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Aug 27, 2010 12:28 pm

the more I see, the more I like what Lilliandil looks like! there's lots of people who hate her new name, but I love it! it's so pretty and I now say Lilliandil automatically instead of RD all the time! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Queen Lilliandil » Sep 06, 2010 11:37 am

I love the casting choice. Laura Brent is so pretty and her looks matches RD so well. I'm tired of Suspian's bashing her. She looks nice and she is very talented, she will fit into Narnia greatly! :) Can't wait to see her as Lilliandil! :D
A Proud Supporter for a Jilrian Jill/Tirian Romance.-PM DamselJillPole.
I don't like Susan (never have or will) so sue me!
Queen Lilliandil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 06, 2010 7:52 pm

^ Because people who bash her and a character she plays are jealous because they know this will be the end of Suspian, also they waste their days lives on fan fiction bashing her character only to get more people to rebel against her. I don't know why they want to act like that. One thing that does peeve me is when they call Laura Brent ugly. For one she's not, shes gorgeous and Laura doesn't deserve that at all. She's just an actress doing her job and playing a character who yes Caspian happens to fall in love with and marries. Like you said she's very talented and seems like a very nice person. I hope something happens one day like Laura becoming the next big thing in Hollywood and does a lot of good deeds that will make the people who bashed her think twice.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Invisible Woman » Sep 06, 2010 8:09 pm

I don't know how people could call Laura ugly when there is hardly any good photos of her online. She's almost unknown.
Invisible Woman
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Ithilwen » Sep 06, 2010 8:15 pm

Maybe a lot of people just dont like her because they aren't used to the romance yet. It may seem like a shock to some people after getting used to Suspian. Especially if they're non-book fans, they might have been thinking that Susan and Caspian would somehow meet again, in one of the worlds, or in the afterlife (See Titanic for further example). Then, when they heard about him getting together with Lilliandil, a character they've never heard of, they might be like... :-o
That doesn't excuse the actual bashing of course (which, unfortunately, seems to happen to about every actor and actress), but it might explain why there is such a dislike for her.
Their opinions might change after they actually see Caspain and Lilliandil together on screen. It might, for them, just take a little getting used to. ;)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 06, 2010 8:19 pm

It's pretty simple if they dont like it. If i didn't like something I wouldn't waste my time still liking Narnia or bash some innocent person I didn't know. 8-|

Again it doesn't matter by opinion, poor Laura Brent does not deserve that.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby king caspian » Sep 07, 2010 7:43 pm

I have seen a few comments on videos of Laura on youtube with people saying things they shouldn't be saying as well. I imagine they are all under the age of 17 and just silly little kids. I just want to say

Laura you are beautiful! :) You are are going to make a great Lilliandil and Queen of Narnia. I also hope she can get into much more bigger things after this movie and at least get some interviews of her on her journey while making this film.
Not Suspian!
Avatar: DamselJillpole Sig: Tarkheena
king caspian
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Josh » Sep 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Eustace+Jill wrote: Especially if they're non-book fans, they might have been thinking that Susan and Caspian would somehow meet again, in one of the worlds, or in the afterlife (See Titanic for further example).

Oh my goodness, I actually had a bad thought about the Titanic comparison. Imagine if Susan in the Last Battle was seen as an old woman who had changed her mind about her disbelief in Narnia (due to the loss of her siblings).

At the end of the movie when see old Susan as she talks about her regret for neglecting Narnia and talks about her lost love for Caspian. Later that night as she goes to sleep, she ends up dying and the final shot we see is all the Narnians applauding in Aslan's country, Caspian holding his hand out to Susan and them kissing infront of everyone as the screen fades to white. Uggh.

Anyway, I can't comment on Laura's looks since there are only three or so images of her online. In one she looks rather plain (because the outfit in everything for the role seemd to require it) and in the other she looks like a corpse because she had way too much pale make up put on. Then I see her in the trailer, she looks completly different, and she's all glowing blue. I don't know what she really looks like cause all the photos are all not a good representation of who Laura is. I assume more photos of her will be released as the movie's release gets closer.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 22, 2010 9:36 am

There's some new footage of Laura Brent on youtube. She guest starred as the main victim on Rescue: Special Ops. Her role is very expanded and you can get a better idea of what she looks like and you can also tell her acting capabilities (Which she's a great actress). I know that youtube url's are not allowed on here so if you want links to the videos just pm me. ;)

edit: ^^lol Josh! Oh wow that would be very gross, especially in Aslan's Country. Yuck! :p
The only thing that Suspian's are going to see is Caspian with Lilliandil and Rilian, and his family. Hopefully see Caspian and Lilliandil brush their heads together as they gaze deeply into each others eyes. ;) :D
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Oct 08, 2010 11:16 am

I have to say i was rather disappointed with Laura Brent's portrayal of Ramandu's Daughter in the trailer. I know it was only a short clip, but for me her dialogue and the way she delivered it just felt far too modern and conversational for my liking. It irked me a way similar to how i felt with Aslan in the first movie, the way he spoke was just too normal, and the occasional chatty banter really didn't suit his character. Likewise here.

I feel Ramandu's Daughter should deliver her lines with a certain weight and dignity. Not that i would want to have everyone to speak in a self-consciously dramatic and overly portentous manner, but just the way she was overly cheerful when delivering her first line, and then sounding slightly nervous and somewhat naive when delivering her second line, it really didn't fit with her character in my opinion.

I will of course reserve judgement till i see her full performance, and will of course keep in mind that trailers often contain takes which are not in the final version, or which differ in their delivery, but based soley on that trailer i was not all that sold on her performance.

And going back to that second line of her's - "If its a distraction for you, i can change form" - that irritates me more than anything. I for one was not all that bothered when it turned out they had made her into a girl who could change into a star (rather than just a girl who is a star) as much as some people were. As with the flower-petal dryads, and the water-based naiads, i felt that although it is a distinct and somewhat annoying change from the book, the interesting nature of the visual it brings to the movie is perhaps worth it from a cinematic perspective.

But this? "I can change form"? For me it completely changes the nature of her character far more so than the previous implied change. She can take other forms? A set number of forms, or an infinite number? Did "it" just choose the appearance of a blonde haired girl at random? Or was it designed to appeal to Caspian? Could she just as easily have taken the form of a short fat balding old man? Could she have taken the form of a Giant Hamburger? I know thats perhaps taking things to ridiculous extremes, but the whole thing seems like an entirely unnecessary complication and alteration to the fundamental nature of the character, and would also seem to counteract the whole message about Beauty and Vanity which they have added into the movie by giving her the option to be more or less beautiful at will - unless Caspian says "No!" of course. Ugh.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Eustace » Oct 08, 2010 11:27 am

I love the new picture we have gotten of her. For sometime there I was worried that she would be glowing during the whole movie and we can't see her face very well when she is glowing. The new trailer caps showed that she isn't glowing the whole movie. Hurrah!
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lirenel » Oct 08, 2010 3:08 pm

I think the 'change forms' bit meant 'change back into a floating ball of light' not 'change into a different person'. Just my two cents.

And I liked that she seemed nervous about being called beautiful. I think it startled her and she was suddenly unsure if she was doing things right. Before that, when she was saying "I am your guide" I saw a confident servant, happy to be of assistance, much as I pictured RD.
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

My overview of VODT: http://lady-lirenel.livejournal.com/151965.html
Lirenel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 08, 2010 3:36 pm

I think I can count on Laura Brent doing a great job as Lilliandil. I've seen her other works and she's a better actress then some of you are giving her credit for. I'm not worried. She'll do a lovely job. The way she delivers her lines is spot on genius then how she was interpreted in the book. She sort of reminds me of Belle from Disney's Beauty and the Beast in a way. The part in which Belle's character is first stepping inside of the castle. She's shy, scared, doesn't know what to expect from the humans except guide them, but once she's used to them and Caspian I'm sure we'll see a character change.

To be honest and I'm not stating this as a 100% known fact but I've seen everything of what Laura Brent was in and i have to say that she is a very great actress. Laura knows when to switch herself off and be a character instead of herself. I don't want to turn this into a discussion, but I'm tired of people not giving Laura a chance. Laura will soon be the next best actress in Hollywood alongside all the other best actors because she really knows what she's doing. You'll all soon see what I mean. ;)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 08, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm not comparing Anna Popplewell with Laura Brent, though I like the look of Lilliandil. I think Laura Brent's character, even in the trailer, looks a long way better than the BBC version of Ramandu's daughter. That particular version, by comparison, was too overwhelmed and weighed down by that ridiculous Ramandu hat and looked too commonplace pretty for a star's daughter, as if she was an ex beauty contestant hoping for another try for the starring role, er, crown.

Icarus wrote:I will of course reserve judgement till i see her full performance, and will of course keep in mind that trailers often contain takes which are not in the final version, or which differ in their delivery...

Amen to that. I remember seeing a trailer for 'the Day after tomorrow' which contained footage of what could happen to our Sydney coathanger and Opera House. But when the film came out there was no such footage in it. :( Humph! Yet another great movie with Australia having mysteriously slid off the planet! 8-| But it is proof that what you see in trailers isn't always what you get in the film.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Narnian_Archer » Oct 09, 2010 5:05 am

icarus I completely agree with you. Somehow, I was very disappointed with Lilliandil. She seemed to behave more like a teenage girl than a star that's been shining in the heavens.
Actually, though
It never says anywhere that Lilliandil was a star...it says she was the Daughter of a Star, and has the blood of stars in her...but does that make her a star? Maybe she was born on Ramandu's Island, and never actually shone in the sky. Anyways, this is just a theory...something I thought of. I may easily be wrong...which is why I put this in a spoiler. :D :D :D

I love Lilliandil the way she is in the book, and do not at all like Suspian. I do wish, though, that she were more graceful and angelic than she is in the trailer. All that to say, I'm hoping for the best!! :) :)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext