This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ramandu's daughter/Lilliandil - Laura Brent

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Ramandu's daughter - Laura Brent

Postby Lirenel » Jun 01, 2010 1:27 pm

While I like that Douglas Gresham made the name, I don't actually like it, really. It reminds me too much of some sort of faux-Elvish name that a LOTR fanfic author might name their Mary Sue. Plus, the ending -dil is a male ending in Elvish, which stops me short a bit.

Hopefully they'll at least pronounce it Lilly-On-dil, which at least doesn't sound like they tacked a syllable on the end of an English name.
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

My overview of VODT: http://lady-lirenel.livejournal.com/151965.html
Lirenel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 01, 2010 1:35 pm

narnialover101 wrote:*is undoubtedly going to be impaled with tomatoes for not knowing whether it's "affect" or "effect"*
You got it right. ;)) "affect" is the verb. I always think that some sort of action has to come before a result so the one that comes first in the alphabet is the verb.

I'm not surprised they gave her a name. It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.

sweeetlilgurlie wrote:I'm okay with this, but I certainly don't like the name. Lilliandil? It's like Lillian and then the herb dill. Plus it sounds like Tolkien. Quite original, I'm sure. 8-|
It does sound like a name Tolkien would come up with. ;))

sweeetlilgurlie wrote:At least I like the name Lillian. I wonder how it's intoned. Lill-ee-an-DILL or Lilly-ON-dill, or what?
Good question. I'm horrid with that kind of thing so I haven't a clue. I can't even figure out where I'm putting the emphasis when I say it. :ymblushing:
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 01, 2010 1:44 pm

Whahoo! It's Lispian! :D :D :D :D ;)

I love her name Lilliandil!! Although part of me wishes it was just Lillian but i can live with this name. She has a name :D

Lirenel I love your pronunciation of the name. i'm excited now.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jun 01, 2010 1:45 pm

Lirenel wrote:It reminds me too much of some sort of faux-Elvish name that a LOTR fanfic author might name their Mary Sue. Plus, the ending -dil is a male ending in Elvish, which stops me short a bit.

Hopefully they'll at least pronounce it Lilly-On-dil, which at least doesn't sound like they tacked a syllable on the end of an English name.

It does sound a bit Elvish, but I doubt many people will know that -dil is a masculine ending in Elvish, nor will it matter since this is Narnia, not Middle Earth. There are no elves in Narnia.

I am more troubled that it sounds so much like Lillian.

And about the foreshadowing of the Silver Sea:
I thought Ramandu couldn't tell the crew of the Dawn Treader what sorts of things were further East. Could Ramandu tell that the Silver Sea was full of lillies from the sky? If not, then it doesn't stand to reason that he'd name his daughter after the lillies.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Jun 01, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm pretty cool with the name. I didn't think I was going to be crazy about no matter how awesome it was, and this isn't too bad. It does sound a bit Tolkien, but I think it will work nicely. :)
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby narnialover101 » Jun 01, 2010 2:26 pm

sweeetlilgurlie wrote:Lilliandil? It's like Lillian and then the herb dill.
Kind of like Puddle and then the adjective glum? ;)

I'll always be a,
NL101 :)
Rest in Peace Old Narniaweb
(2003-2009)
narnialover101
Moderator Emeritus
Narniaweb's Resident Peter Pan Gone Gangsta'

Postby beloved » Jun 01, 2010 2:54 pm

I adore Lilliandil, it's just a beautiful name. I did think is sounded a bit elvish, it reminded me of Erendil, the star Galadriel gives to Frodo, which doesn't bother me in the slightest since she does have star blood in her. Overall I absolutely love it. I couldn't have come up with a better name myself.
I'm not sure what to think about the lilly connection though. I could come up with a few wild fan-fictions on how it came to be, but nothing more.

"And this marvel of all marvels, that he called me Beloved, me who am but as a dog-"     -Emeth
beloved
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Movie Aristotle wrote:And about the foreshadowing of the Silver Sea:
I thought Ramandu couldn't tell the crew of the Dawn Treader what sorts of things were further East. Could Ramandu tell that the Silver Sea was full of lillies from the sky? If not, then it doesn't stand to reason that he'd name his daughter after the lillies.

GlimGlum wrote:I wonder if the Lily type flowers or petals of the Silver Sea were an influence or inspiration?

I haven't read any posts about this name foreshadowing anything. My thought was that Douglas Gresham may have been influenced by this, knowing the whole story as he does. But I think I like the Lilliandill/Rillian connection better.

Maybe someday Douglas Gresham will let us know the inspiration for this name. :)
(Maybe there were lilies on Ramandu's Island; doesn't say there weren't any.) :D
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 01, 2010 3:03 pm

I can't wait to hear how Douglas thought about it. Now that I think about it the name does sound a little bit elvish but I cannot wait to hear how it's pronounced.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Eustace » Jun 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Lilly-On-dil sounds majestic, but at the same I really, wanted no name. I like the fact that we don't know her name. But in any case I hope it is pronounced the way Lirenel said she wanted it prounounced. It does remind me of a Mary Sue fan fiction. But actually, when the fan fiction authors gave RD a name to me it sounded better in my opinion then that name. I am sorry, but even though they gave her this name I will always call her RD, or the Stargirl, I don't think I could ever call her this even when referring to the movie. I wanted if we had to have a name something that not only sounded Elvish depending on how you pronounce it but also how it is spelled. Right now it just looks like they combined a couple names together. In essence I dislike her name.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby 7chronicles » Jun 01, 2010 3:23 pm

Very pretty name, I feel it matches her well! :D I'm so, so, so, happy that Douglas Gresham got to name her! :D That's so cool! :)
I too am wondering where he got the idea for the name! :)
I agree that it has a bit of an elfish sound to it, but not entirely in my opinion. :)
I like that it has a sort of flower sound to it as well.
King Caspian and Queen Lilliandil and Prince Rilian the royal family of Narnia, I think all their names flow well together. :)
Now that I think of it it's probably better they didn't choose to name her Lillian, I think it sounds to much like Rilian! :p ;)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Edmund P » Jun 01, 2010 3:33 pm

FIRST THOUGHT: did Tolkien come up with this?

THE NAME: It's beautiful - truly. It's extremely original, right?! Nope [-( . Not to say that's I dislike it, it's just not original. The fact that Doug Gresham came up with it is a great comfort, not that it would make any difference if Michael Apted created it - I would like it no matter what. Lillian - Rilian. Similar? Not at all ;) .

ON PRONUNCIATION: I feel like the most logical pronunciation would be Lill-ee-ON-dil. Or perhaps Lill-ee-an-deel?

I really like it! I'm with some other folks though, I kind of liked how she not having a name added to the mystery.
I met Georgie and Skandar AND saw the film in one evening.
Edmund P
NarniaWeb Guru
The Parallel Welcomer

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Jun 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Lirenel wrote:While I like that Douglas Gresham made the name,

7chronicles wrote:I'm so, so, so, happy that Douglas Gresham got to name her!

Edmund P wrote:The fact that Doug Gresham came up with it is a great comfort

Something that greatly confuses me is that many of the people posting in here about the name are up in happy la-la land because Douglas Gresham made the name. He is Lewis's stepson. Great and good. He's not Lewis. Most of the Chronicles were already written by the time that he met Lewis, and its fairly certain that he wasn't one of Lewis's main consultants on the project.

Just because he makes something up or approves something doesn't mean that its canon or even that Lewis would like it. Gresham approved of the Suspian kiss for crying out loud, and of making PC an epic war movie because the book was boring! He may have a bit of a better idea of what Lewis would like than the others on the production team, but not by a whole lot. At least, not as has been evidenced by his actions.

@Robby: Why yes, quite like that. Except for 'dill' isn't an adjective--unless its a color.
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby malkah » Jun 01, 2010 5:31 pm

Oh dear, oh dear...

This is not the first time I've reacted to a film addition with less than positive feelings. Most of the time, I've ended up really liking the changes after awhile, so I'm hoping it's the same here. But right now, I am not happy about this. :ymsigh:

I'm thrilled she has a name. That's awesome! :D And I like that Doug Gresham was allowed to pick it; despite some of his decisions in the past, I think it's more fitting that he name an unnamed character than anyone else.
But...but...Lilliandil?? The 'dil' just feels like an awkward attempt to Narnianize the English Lillian. You might as well have named her Mariandil, or Jilliandil. :|

At least, I hope it's pronounced either Lilli-ON-dil or Lil-EE-an-dil, rather than Lillian-dill.
the light after the storm
shows that hope was never gone

Snow After Fire graphics
malkah
Moderator Emeritus
The Invincible One

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Jun 01, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't really think that the general opinion is Douglas Gresham = Lewis = perfectly okay... I certainly don't think so. It's just that, if RD was going to have a name, it is kinda cool that Lewis's stepson got the job of choosing it. :D

I'm glad that she did get named, because hopefully this will help her have more of a presence in the movie. I always did think it a bit odd in the book that Caspian ended up marrying her, Rilian was her son who the SC was about, and we never found out her name. ;))
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Bookwyrm » Jun 01, 2010 5:51 pm

I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate the name, but I don't particularly care for it. I was expecting something generically fantasy-ish, so I guess that's why I'm not that surprised or upset. Anyway, I agree it reminds me of Earendil's name and that it sounds like a Mary Sue name.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

PreviousNext