This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

New LOTR vs. Narnia Poll

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which fantasy is better?

The Chronicles of Narnia
71%
The Lord of the Rings
29%

Total votes : 75

Re: New LOTR vs. Narnia Poll

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Oct 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Uh, Eowyn should absolutely not marry Aragorn. I mean, I should not marry Aragorn. I mean, hello, can't you tell I'm in love with Faramir? ;)

Yeah, fanfics can definitely be silly (or just trash) sometimes. But I occasionally run across a really good one, which redeems the genre of writing. I must say, however, that I've never run across a really good fanfic of either fantasy. No one writes like Lewis and Tolkien.

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Oct 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Mod note:

There's some fantastic discussion and debate going on in here, and that's wonderful. But...

Please try to stay on topic. It's getting a bit far from "LOTR vs Narnia" with all the fanfiction talk!

Your TaN moderator,

Val
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Oct 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Sorry. Sometimes I get carried away with the specifics of the books!
Back to the real topic...
The question of the topic could also be read as "Which of these fantasies do you think is just a teensy, itty bit better than the other?". Does that make you feel better about voting? lol

Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby RevelinginWonder » Oct 30, 2009 9:12 pm

I really can't choose between the two. They are both amazing stores, demonstrating good versus evil. I love them both! ;)

Thank you to Djaq for the marvelous signature!

NWeb siblings: pogginfan and Windsong!
RevelinginWonder
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Galadriel » Nov 09, 2009 4:02 pm

This is a HAAARRRD poll....but a fascinating one! I ended up choosing Narnia, but yes (I know my user name is Galadriel) I absolutely love LOTR. They are so good, but in different ways....LOTR is the more foreboding, epic, world-is-going-to-end, good vs evil, last-mission type, and Narnia is the beautiful allegorical references, the wonderful Aslan, etc. LOTR is much deeper with more elements, Narnia is the straight story. Plus I have known Narnia since childhood, whereas I only recently read LOTR. Ohh, this was hard ~x(
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Bother Eustace » Nov 09, 2009 7:08 pm

Sort of a hard choice, as I'm in love with both series, but it wasn't too hard for me to choose Narnia. I grew up with Narnia; it's been part of my life much longer than LOTR. They are both very, very different sort of stories, so their hard to even compare. All in all, though, Narnia is closer to my heart. I know LOTR has some Christian themes, but I've always felt a stronger spiritual uplift from those truths hidden within the Chronicles than in LOTR; Lewis was really a genius theologian and an expert at narrowing down simple truths and presenting them in a way that really gets one thinking, and sticks in the memory.
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby greenbird37 » Nov 16, 2009 10:40 pm

I would choose definitely Narnia...The concept of the story and the characters are so different and mysterious and I can relate better to Narnia than LOTR, I'm just not into this movie, Narnia is always the best for me! ;)
"We have nothing if not belief"
greenbird37
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Benjamin » Nov 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Oh I smell Rivalry in this poll! lol
I picked LOTR because I LOVE LOTR!! With Narnia its a fun story but with LOTR its part of me! lol I mean like I,m like OH MY WORD I WANT TO WATCH LORD OF THE RINGS! But with Narnia its like Umm Ok I guess I'll watch it :D So thats my Opinion :ymsmug:
Avvie By Flambeau Sig by Ithilwen
Team Hoodie!!
Benjamin
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby stars_daughter17 » Nov 21, 2009 6:52 am

Where's the "I can't decide" button? :-\ I can't decide between the two! I like them both the same! :)
Narnia Fan For Life
:D I'VE SEEN THE MOVIE!!! :D
stars_daughter17
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aravistarkheena » Nov 22, 2009 2:45 pm

The only reason I voted for Narnia is because I have never read LOTR. Sorry! :)
Enough Nikabrik! Or do I have to sit on your head again?!?!
aravistarkheena
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby The Servant » Nov 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Well, I voted for Narnia, because I like it better. Lord of the Rings has an amazing storyline, but in my view, it is much less sentimental. I admit that Lord of the Rings is probably better, but I don't like it as much. Amazing storyline, yes, but I still think Narnia has a better story, at least, LWW. It may have been a bit classic, 4 kids save the world, but there was much more to it than that, even if one does have to look for it.
- The Servant.

Prayer partners for Skandar Keynes. PM Benjamin to join the group!
The Servant
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Nov 24, 2009 2:55 pm

Servant, what do you define sentimental as? And you're contradicting yourself by saying:

The Servant wrote:I admit that Lord of the Rings is probably better, but I don't like it as much. Amazing storyline, yes, but I still think Narnia has a better story, at least, LWW.

One has to be better than the other, or they're even. Take your pick, lol.

And, Benjamin, there is definitely some intense rivalry here! But isn't it fun? :D

Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Benjamin » Nov 24, 2009 4:20 pm

If you have read LOTR and watched the movies then how can you say that they are not your favorite? /:) :ymsmug: B-) :p

Dernhelm_of_Rohan wrote:And, Benjamin, there is definitely some intense rivalry here! But isn't it fun? :D

lol... Yes it is fun!!

Team Hoodie!!
Benjamin
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ArcherForAslan » Nov 25, 2009 8:56 pm

Are we going by books or movies? If we're going by the books, Narnia is the better of the two in my opinion. Believe me, I've really tried to read LOTR but I have to make myself read it; it's far too boring, or at least FOTR is. I don't like it when I have to force myself to read a book, but I've heard they get more exciting later on, so I'm trying to press on. Still, it makes me like Narnia far more because I didn't have to make myself read them.

However, if we're going by the movies, my choice would be LOTR. The Narnia movies are good and all, but PC really disappointed me and I'm getting tired of watching LWW. The LOTR movies, however, are still so amazing and fun to watch - this could be partly because I haven't watched LOTR as much as LWW, but still. LOTR just seems a bit more well done. However, Narnia still has VDT and the other books to be made, so my opinion could change.
Avy by Sarah from totallygeorgie.com
ArcherForAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Galadriel » Nov 25, 2009 9:51 pm

Benjamin wrote:If you have read LOTR and watched the movies then how can you say that they are not your favorite? /:) :ymsmug: B-) :p

Well, we could say the same thing about Narnia, though, eh? /:) Or maybe not at all. :ymsmug: I mean, I've read Eragon (and the sequels) and watched Eragon, and I like Eragon, but not nearly like Narnia and LOTR.

Oh, yes, and I've also seen all of the Narnia movies and read all the Narnia books COUNTLESS times. And I have read LOTR and seen the movies. But I still prefer Narnia. :ymdevil: /:) Long live Aslan!

Although are we going by books or movies? Because you know, that does add more elements to the discussion! /:) :P

*holding back self from a verrrrrryyy long post =)) because not sure if that is what this topic is for*
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Benjamin » Nov 26, 2009 9:05 am

ArcherForAslan wrote:Are we going by books or movies? If we're going by the books, Narnia is the better of the two in my opinion. Believe me, I've really tried to read LOTR but I have to make myself read it; it's far too boring, or at least FOTR is. I don't like it when I have to force myself to read a book, but I've heard they get more exciting later on, so I'm trying to press on. Still, it makes me like Narnia far more because I didn't have to make myself read them.

However, if we're going by the movies, my choice would be LOTR. The Narnia movies are good and all, but PC really disappointed me and I'm getting tired of watching LWW. The LOTR movies, however, are still so amazing and fun to watch - this could be partly because I haven't watched LOTR as much as LWW, but still. LOTR just seems a bit more well done. However, Narnia still has VDT and the other books to be made, so my opinion could change.

How could you say you had to force yourself to read LOTR? LOTR are one of the best books I have ever read! far too boring! :-o lol How could you say that!? Well I guess its a good thing everyone in the world is not the same so on that note I don't really care that you said it but its still confusing to me /:)

Lol Yes I was very disappointed with PC! They ruined it! its a "nice" movie but its not Narnia! And I agree that LOTR movies are better..... Of course :p ......

Lady Galadriel wrote:
Benjamin wrote:If you have read LOTR and watched the movies then how can you say that they are not your favorite? /:) :ymsmug: B-) :p

Well, we could say the same thing about Narnia, though, eh? /:) Or maybe not at all. :ymsmug: I mean, I've read Eragon (and the sequels) and watched Eragon, and I like Eragon, but not nearly like Narnia and LOTR.

*holding back self from a verrrrrryyy long post =)) because not sure if that is what this topic is for*

lol well I guess some people could say that :P but me myself and I I don't think so 8-} .......
Team Hoodie!!
Benjamin
NarniaWeb Fanatic

PreviousNext