This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

New LOTR vs. Narnia Poll

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which fantasy is better?

The Chronicles of Narnia
71%
The Lord of the Rings
29%

Total votes : 75

Re: New LOTR vs. Narnia Poll

Postby wild rose » Jan 13, 2010 12:34 pm

I vote Narnia!!!!!! I never cared much for Tolkien, I read the Hobbit as well as all the LOTR books and they didn't do much for me. Also reading Narnia was easier Lewis uses a simpler language i guess
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby CorazonBandido55 » Jan 16, 2010 8:07 am

This one is a tough one. LOTR is a more detailed world (and I love the LOTR movie), but Narnia is my first love. So I voted for Narnia.
your fellow Telmarine
CorazonBandido55
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Fantasma » Jan 16, 2010 8:51 pm

With myself knowing more about Narnia than LOTR, and having only just recently watched the LOTR movies, I voted for Narnia.

Narnia is indeed much easier to read than LOTR; I've tried reading The Hobbit, and that was even hard for me; I've heard the LOTR books are even harder to read.
But because of that, LOTR is so much more in-depth than Narnia is.

I also agree that the LOTR movies are better than the Narnia ones, for various reasons. So I suppose that I should of voted for LOTR in the poll - but seeing as I am such a fan of Narnia, and know so little of LOTR, I decided to vote otherwise. =]
Fantasma
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby moo25 » Jan 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Zohmigosh this was SO hard to decide on. In the end I went for Narnia, for the oure reason that I'm on a Narnia website at the moment and I've been having a Narnia themed day today! :-bd But to be honest, you can't really compare the two books, they're both so different. I love them both personally- the Lord of the Rings had such an epic adventure, and it gave my imagination a lot to work with. It also gave me lots to read, and a whole new new language to learn (i ADORE elvish.) Then there's Narnia, with all it's mythical creatures, that give the books a beautiful atmosphere, and the religious side to the books. I also loved the way C.S Lewis created such a being as Aslan- his realness and awesomeness in unparalleled in anything I've ever read or heard about.
I applaud both authors for creating such incredible worlds. :ymapplause:
I stand with the Lord at my side, always.
For Narnia and the North!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

moo25
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Faolchú » Jan 26, 2010 4:38 pm

I voted for Narnia because I find it an easier and there for more enjoyable read when compared with Tolkien's LOTR but I have to say that I believe the LOTR deserves serious credit. The LOTR is not just a story, it is a work of art and it contains so much. There are so many lessons to be learned from the LOTR. It is deep and complicated but that is all a part of it's beauty. I read an essay today in Ursula LeGuin's "The Language of the Night: Essays on Fantasy and Science Fiction" about how Tolkien's stories were beneficial because they held so much truth in them in that the characters are seemingly good or bad but in reality they are reflections of each other and that...well, I am not that best at explaining such things but reading the article really helped me to have a greater respect for the stories.
We are the light.
Faolchú
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Claire-ayes » Feb 17, 2010 6:08 am

I voted for Narnia.

I do really like LOTR, it's up there in my favourites pile, but I couldn't vote for it over Narnia, for several reasons. Firstly, I read Narnia first, when I was still quite young - I built up the world in my head (and it's pretty awesome). I don't have to really think about it anymore, it's just there. Whereas with LOTR I'm like 'Ok, so they're walking this way because someone's cutting them off over here and they're meeting so-and-so and this looks like that and it's cold and the ground's like this . . blah . . mulerblu' #:-s . Sometimes it can get a little full-on, but that is one of it's redeeming factors too.

Also, I only read LOTR after the films came out - I don't think I was able to really submerge myself in the books and create a little space in my mind for them.

So, basically, my answer isn't to do with the books, per say, but how lazy I am and when exactly I read them! :D
Claire-ayes
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby 220chrisTian » Feb 20, 2010 3:31 pm

I voted Narnia. B-)

I loved The Hobbit. About five years ago, I tried to read LOTR: Part 1 and had nightmares ... twice. :-s I gave the book away and haven't missed it. :p

I was exposed to Narnia first. I saw the BBC movies in the late 1980s. Then I read the books. I love the biblical parallels--allusions and themes. There's nothing like this in LOTR. ;)

I thought I'd share the following quote by C. S. Lewis. He compared marshwiggles to hobbits. =)) Letter to Francis Anderson, 23 Sept 1963, Collected Letters: Volume 3, ed. Walter Hooper, pp 1458-60:
I don't think a marsh-wiggle is like a hobbit. The hobbit is essentially a cheerful, complacent, sanguine little creature. If Puddleglum is like any of Tolkien's characters, I'd call him 'a good Gollum.' (1460)

So ... your thoughts?
220chrisTian

Postby qwertykate88 » Feb 20, 2010 5:08 pm

220chrisTian wrote:I love the biblical parallels--allusions and themes. There's nothing like this in LOTR. ;)

A minor curiosity here but if you've never finished reading the story... how would you come by that conclusion? ;)) LOTR does have multiple Biblical themes; some of them are rather obvious. True, they aren't as blatantly allegorical as some of Narnia's illustrations but they are there.

Maybe you could give it another try sometime? :)

Hmm... I kinda wish there was an "I can't decide!" option for this poll because I don't think I can choose. :P It really is a tough question once you go through all of the cultures, worlds, and characters that each author created. Each one is so unique and well-crafted that it's hard to determine which one is better.

If it were a choice of favorites... well, that would still be hard too. ;))
qwertykate88
Moderator Emeritus
Tiny Blonde One

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Mar 12, 2010 2:30 am

Didn't the last Narnia v LotR poll have a third option? :-\

I guess I can't vote if I can't vote for both :p .

Both series are exceptional in their own right, and each author has their own style of telling us these archetypal stories. I love the historical and linguistic depth of Middle Earth (though we get a hint of that in The Magician's Nephew too); and I love the cozy comforting feeling (like drinking Hot Chocolate) of Narnia (though I kind of get that feeling from The Hobbit too).

I have to hand it to TOM for her excellent (and lengthy =)) ) post a few pages back. Brilliant Analysis. Not certain I agree completely with Tolkien that his Valar and Maiar are precisely analogous to angels though. As TOM points out he was rather stung by barbed queries regarding a Christian writing books with Wizards in, so it would be only natural for him to be a little defensive about it.

In his original concepts as recorded in earlier versions of stories in the Silmarillion, Tolkien's Valar were more like Nature Spirits and the Maiar had yet to be conceived of. Also, unless I'm mistaken, I don't recall Biblical Angels taking an active part in Creation. That act of co-creation by the Valar definitely makes them sort of "sub"-gods (though they are themselves created beings) and Eru the Godhead. Which definitely makes Middle Earth's Cosmology a blend of Christian and Pagan thought (a "Baptized" form of Paganism though, with a clearly Singular Godhead).

Likewise with CS Lewis, for all the obvious Christian elements in Narnia he has many equally obvious Pagan elements, including fauns, centaurs, Naiads and Dryads, a "river-god", and a "god of Time" who would awaken at the End of Days, among many other characters and concepts. Accordingly, Lewis also saw his beloved Myths as "Baptized" in Christ.

It's these Magical Mythical blends that drew me in as a child and keep me captivated as an adult to both series. Choose one above the other. As If... ;)

GB (%)
"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence" -- Carl Sagan
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Melian_Maia » Mar 12, 2010 12:33 pm

I had to vote for LotR... I LOVE Narnia, but having read the Hobbit and The Fellowship first (I was a very advanced reader), I had to vote for them. ;) It's a hard choice, really. Narnia was kind of my 'dream world', but Lord of The Rings was like a refuge to me.

Each series has it's own style so to speak. Narnia is a beautiful land, while Middle Earth is war torn.

If I could I would vote for both! But for now, it's LotR!

--Melian

PS: My name comes from the Silmarillion. It's the name of the Maia who was the wife of King Thingol the Elf at Doriath. :D
Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie! Secret Order of the Swoosh
Melian_Maia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Reepissweet » Mar 22, 2010 7:25 pm

Hmm, that's a hard decision since they are both so epic. But I think I really don't have much reason to say the LOTR is the best because I've only seen the Movie, and haven't read the books (well I read most of the Hobbit, and part of The Fellowship) And since I'm pretty sure that this is going by books and not the movie, I'll probably have to vote Narnia. Plus the Christian Message is much more clearer in Narnia. :)
"Lot's of Planets have a North!" ~ The Doctor
Reepissweet
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Berserker » Apr 05, 2010 4:29 am

Lord of the Rings by a mile. The Chronicles of Narnia seems childish in comparison (likely as it was intended to be.) The Lord of the Rings is simply more epic in scope and has a deeper, richer utilization of mythology. Tolkien's philology is what appeals to me the most.
Berserker
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Right now at this moment it is Lord of the Rings for me. The movies lived up to my expectations. It might change depending on the future Narnia movies, but bookwise, Narnia wins.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby shakeofthemane » May 21, 2010 3:55 am

Erucenindë wrote:Of course, I picked LOTR.

I kinda wish this wasn't brought up again. It's like comparing Apples to Oranges, Peas to Carrots. They may be in the same genre, but they are both unique books in their own right.

And even though I don't like Harry Potter either, I think the same way on that subject too.. they just don't seem like anything close to Narnia... :-s

So I'm not the only one who feels the same way too. I don't know. I vote the Lord of the Rings because, well, it's so much more epic and the story is just WOW.

But Narnia? Narnia is a lot more simplistic, but there is something so rich and so beautiful about it. Something good, wholesome { not to say LOTR isn't }, something just overflowing with God's love.

I pick LOTR for best fantasy.
I pick Narnia for closest to my heart.

Dernhelm_of_Rohan wrote:Uh, Eowyn should absolutely not marry Aragorn. I mean, I should not marry Aragorn. I mean, hello, can't you tell I'm in love with Faramir? ;)

Oh, YEAH. You go, Dernhelm_of_Rohan! Eowyn/Faramir = best LOTR ship everrr. Sorry mods. Just had to say that!
"He is not a tame lion."
"Oh, but He is good."
shakeofthemane
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby DaughterofEve1792 » May 25, 2010 11:42 am

I chose Narnia because, not only is it wonderfully told fairy tales, it has special childhood memories attached to it (I have wanted to own a wardrobe ever since I've read LWW ;) ) I started reading LoTR, and couldn't get into it, which saddens me, because I love the movies so. I have read The Hobbit, though, which I also read as a child, and thouroughly enjoyed. one of my favorite parts is the tea party at the beginning. :D
DaughterofEve1792
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby beloved » May 26, 2010 4:59 pm

First of all, I hate having to choose. Tolkin is a genus. He made up all those languages and had so much information that he was never able to finish it all. As much as I adore his story (more so than Narnia) I don't really care for his writing style. It lacks a certain wonder Lewis was able to bring to the table. I voted Narnia because it's nicer to read and a magnificent story with all its meaning that becomes new each time. LOTR just doesn't have that.

"And this marvel of all marvels, that he called me Beloved, me who am but as a dog-"     -Emeth
beloved
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext