This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Chronicles of Narnia Audio Drama

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia Audio Drama

Postby Varnafinde » Feb 11, 2010 1:02 pm

Liberty Hoffman wrote:I think the BBC ones are the ones that are read by only one person.....

No, the BBC ones are audio drama as well. Brian Sibley was involved in that production - I think he wrote the script, so to speak.

There are also other CDs available which are audio books, though, with one actor reading a whole book (but different actors for the different books). I've got one with Kenneth Branagh reading The Magician's Nephew. I especially like the section where the Cabby leaves his Cockney accent and regains the Country accent he had as a boy. Branagh really makes that easy to follow.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 12, 2010 12:38 pm

^^ really? I didn't know that? I will have to look for those!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Adeona » Feb 13, 2010 7:23 pm

I just listened to the VDT audio drama for the first time, having previously only heard HHB and MN. Of the three I've heard I'd say my favorite is HHB. MN is very good also. VDT is well done, and much better then a mere audio book, but... Well, I want to make a couple of comments on things in VDT:

1. The part where they fall into the ocean is really good. The waves, Lucy being pulled under by Eustace, and Caspian diving over the side of the DT are all very well done as far sound effects.
2. When Reepicheep challenges Eustace to duel after being swung about by the tail, Caspian suggests that Reepicheep would have to be handicapped. In the book, he says Eustace. I wish they hadn't changed this.
3. When they are captured by Pug and his men Lucy has tears in her voice. I didn't mind at all that she gets upset when Caspian is bought by Lord Bern, but I thought that those first tears were not so in keeping with Lucy's valiant character.
4. The Dark Island was very good. Dark indeed. Lucy crying out to Aslan was touchingly done.
5. The line where Caspian asks Ramdat about breaking the enchantment by kissing the princess was given to Eustace. [-(
6. The Lamb's voice was rather strange. It did not really sound like a lamb's voice at all. But I suppose this could have been due to the difficulties of working out a voice that would be able to morph into Aslan's without too much difficulty.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Feb 13, 2010 11:27 pm

The switched lines bothered me too, but I don't really mind anything else. They're great audio dramas. Maybe I'm so partial to them b/c they're what got me into Narnia :)
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 16, 2010 11:57 am

Adeona wrote:I just listened to the VDT audio drama for the first time, having previously only heard HHB and MN. Of the three I've heard I'd say my favorite is HHB. MN is very good also. VDT is well done, and much better then a mere audio book, but... Well, I want to make a couple of comments on things in VDT:

1. The part where they fall into the ocean is really good. The waves, Lucy being pulled under by Eustace, and Caspian diving over the side of the DT are all very well done as far sound effects.
2. When Reepicheep challenges Eustace to duel after being swung about by the tail, Caspian suggests that Reepicheep would have to be handicapped. In the book, he says Eustace. I wish they hadn't changed this.
3. When they are captured by Pug and his men Lucy has tears in her voice. I din't mind at all that she gets upset when Caspian is bought by Lord Bern, but I thought that those first tears were not so in keeping with Lucy's valiant character.
4. The Dark Island was very good. Dark indeed. Lucy crying out to Aslan was touchingly done.
5. The line where Caspian asks Ramdat about breaking the enchantment by kissing the princess was given to Eustace. [-(
6. The Lamb's voice was rather strange. It did not really sound like a lamb's voice at all. But I suppose this could have been due to the difficulties of working out a voice that would be able to morph into Aslan's without too much difficulty.

^^ yes, I was a little annoyed that they had to mess up those bits in VotDT.....and they also messed up the bit when Reepicheep first appears!
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Feb 16, 2010 1:56 pm

^^what did they change? I don't exactly remember, I haven't listened to it in a while...
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Adeona » Feb 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Oh, and I did notice that while they did include the mer-people, they removed that short, moving scene between Lucy and the Sea-Shepherdess.
Another little annoying thing.

Also, while I really like the HHB drama, when I got out the book and read along for a while, I noticed that a lot of little details of the surroundings, which really help to put you into the story, are deleted. Of course, in an audio drama, the music and sound effects partially replace these, and one can't expect them to fit in everything. But I did notice. I assume it's the same with the other dramas, but I haven't got out the books and checked.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 22, 2010 4:20 pm

Adeona wrote:Oh, and I did notice that while they did include the mer-people, they removed that short, moving scene between Lucy and the Sea-Shepherdess.
Another little annoying thing.

^^ now that you mention it, I noticed that and that is annoying! X( I wish I didn't know that..... :p :( :)
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Feb 22, 2010 5:37 pm

I don't necessarily find it annoying, just a little dissapointing.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Reepissweet » Mar 22, 2010 3:48 pm

I like the Audio books, they are enjoyable to listen to, and fun voices (however some voices I don't like, for instance Reepicheeps. When I was younger and I first listened to it, I thought it was a woman speaking not Reepicheep)
"Lot's of Planets have a North!" ~ The Doctor
Reepissweet
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 24, 2010 5:13 pm

^^ yes! Aslan is my least afvorite, but I also don't like that awful high pitched voice for Reepicheep! a bit too high and nasily..... :p
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby narnia fan 7 » Mar 25, 2010 11:28 am

I got them all they're awesome I got the Focus on the Family set for Christmas in 2005 I think my favorite's are HHB, VDT, and SC,
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Mar 27, 2010 11:50 am

I like both the BBC and Focus on the Family Audio Dramas for Narnia. They're both very well done and interesting, and I really enjoy listening to them. The places that the narrator came in worked out super-well, and I'm glad that they didn't try to tell all of it with dialogue. :P
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 09, 2010 10:48 pm

I want to hear these so bad. Any one have any suggestions where I can hear them?
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby daughter of the King » Apr 10, 2010 3:29 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:Any one have any suggestions where I can hear them?

The Focus on the Family or the BBC? The Focus on the Family Radio Theatre versions can be found at most Christian bookstores. Or you could try the library, the local one here has them.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby AnnasStar2010 » Aug 25, 2010 5:47 pm

I got the FotF set for Christmas a few years ago and I LOVE them! They are so fun. It's also nice for if you don't know exactly how to pronounce a name or something to hear them say it. :D

Thanks to Shastafan for the Signature and thanks to lizzyhenley009 for the avatar.
AnnasStar2010
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext