This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

ABC Brisbane interviews Michael Apted

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

ABC Brisbane interviews Michael Apted

Postby fantasia » Nov 24, 2009 10:15 am

It was really interesting listening to the interview last night. The most interesting thing to me was hearing the fact that it had not been for the recession, they would have had a very hard time making this movie because they'd barely have been able to afford it. Guess something good came out of the recession. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: ABC Brisbane interviews Michael Apted

Postby ceppault » Nov 24, 2009 12:28 pm

I had heard mention before of the strength of the Australian dollar compared to the US dollar. Perhaps it was in the Ernie Malik interview; had the US dollar not been as weak as it was when they started filming, it could have caused serious problems.

I like the explanation for the use of Cleveland Point. That was helpful. I need to look around Malta and film studios there. Something must have held Mr Gresham's attention for going to there.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby icarus » Nov 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Lots of very interesting bits and pieces in there. One bit in particular that stood out for me was when he mentioned just how long he had been working on this movie for, an astonishing amount of time really. Admittedly he side-stepped the whole Disney issue when describing the contributing factors in the numerous delays, but i think Prince Caspian gets unfairly blamed for alot of the pre-production woes on Dawn Treader, but its easy to forget just how many unprecendent situations occured during that time - the writers stirke, the global recession, the drug war in mexico - all of which slowly pushed Dawn Treaders release date further and further back. Perhaps without all that going on, Prince Caspian's slightly thin profit margins wouldn't have been an issue, but i guess no-one is ever told what would of happened ;).

The other point of interest related to that, was that he mentioned just how long it took to get the story and script right. Its of great comfort to hear him say that, not just that it shows how irrelevant certain old leaked scripts may be, but that they took their time to get the script right, and create a story that works in a movie. So often today movies are rushed through development, and maybe VDT's extra scriptwriting time wasn't entirely by their own design as mentioned before, its still nice to hear.

That said, he did still mention battles again, but i guess you can't have it all, can you? lol.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Nov 24, 2009 1:46 pm

interview? what interview? I didn't see it! :-\
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master