Dragon Attack on the Dawn Treader

Posted September 6, 2009 5:17 pm by fantasia_kitty

DeviantArt was sent a two minute video of live filming at Cleveland Point for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. In the footage, the Dawn Treader is under attack by a dragon.

Β

Here’s the transcript written up by icarus:

Wave!(?)

It’s a Dragon!
He’s coming in closer! He’s starting to come towards the ship!
One! He’s coming around towards the front! He’s going round the front!
Two! We (or “He”?) don’t know where he is going! React! React!
He’s coming around to the other side!
Three! He’s coming around the back now!
Look around! He’s coming to the back side! He’s on the tail now!
Four! He’s swinging all around. He’s circling, circling!
Coming around the starboard!
And Five! He’s coming towards the mast! He’s looking up towards the mast!
And he lands on top of the mast!
Shake to Port!
And shake to Starboard!

**a crew member yells “Fire!” ?? **

And Hit! He’s trying (?) to fall down! He’s going down!
He lands! Crash!
And he’s getting back up! Here he comes!
And he’s flying out to sea! He’s going around!
He’s coming around the front, he’s going around the nose(?)
And now he’s flying off towards the island
*something, something* and he’s going off to sea

You can download the footage from DeviantArt’s website here.
Thanks to icarus for the heads-up and transcript of the video!

• fantasia_kitty says:

The YouTube video is still being approved, give it a minute or two to come up.
    Really I don’t think the Dawn Treader is actually being attacked, I think it’s Eustace trying to reach them and the crew thinks they’re being attacked, but we shall see.

• StoryGirl says:

Hmmmmm, maybe…….

• Queen Swanwhite says:

hmmm, I kinda agree…but then how did Eustace get on the island if the gang is on the ship, maybe the gang returned to the ship…or the ship could be under attack…in a sense..that could be the Lord Octavian…hmmm good question

• Silver the Wanderer says:

I think you’re right. I mean, when I first saw the headline, I was thinking "Dragon? Don’t they mean sea serpent?" But your theory makes sense to me. Poor EustaceDragon. I can’t wait to see what he looks like.

• Lirenel says:

I think it’s probably Lord Octasian (sp?). Maybe the Narnians kill him, thinking he’s a real dragon, he returns to the island and they follow to make sure he’s dead. And then Eustace gets separated and finds the dragon, etc, like in the book. Makes it a little more exciting than just finding a dying dragon.

• Leolani says:

Even though that doesn’t happen in the book, it would be closer to the storyline than adding in another dragon……….

• daughter of the King says:

I agree, that’s what makes the most sense. But if that were true, I think they’re still following the basic storyline. Caspian and co. would still be on the island and what we are seeing is the crew who were left behind on the ship as Eustace flies out onto the beach.

• Kris says:

Yeah I think you guys are probably right. Thats what I was thinking when I watched it. I love it!!! Its close enough to the book for me.

• Crimson Dragon says:

I’m not sure it’s Eustace… I mean, why would they be on the ship if Eustace is a dragon? They thought he was lost, why would they desert the island? I’m more prone to believe this is the dragon that Eustace finds ; perhaps it attacks as they get close to the island. Then again, one has to wonder why they would continue to an island where they know a dragon lives… so maybe it is Eustace after all.

• Jess says:

Is that the cast running about the boat?

• Elisabeth says:

First! This vid is so exiting!!!

• Reep12 says:

This is great. we are actually seeing a video! This is going to be a great movie!

Perhaps the first encounter with DragonEustace has been changed? Instead of being on the beach, perhaps DragonEustace flies directly to the Dawn Treader to ask for help, and they shoot at him? This could be cool. Or it could be dumb.

• Gymfan15 says:

I’m leaning towards "cool"…I think it could generate a lot of sympathy for Eustace, especially if he’s hurt. In the book they knew there was a dragon around and had seen it flying before they actually met Eustace on the beach, so I think there’s still a chance that the encounter with Eustace will be somewhat the same.

• BenBarnesGal says:

I know, Fire? could it be the dragon’s smoke or a cannon ball?

• narnian1 says:

that has got to be the first encounter with Eustace. Sounds excellent!

• step says:

Based on the leaked sides that were released last year, this is correct.

• twinimage says:

This is one of the changes I originally thought they would make. It’s not a drastic or a bad change per say, but of course it could be poorly implemented. We shall see. Let’s hope it them reacting to Eustace, thinking he’s attacking.
      It’s just another way of adding action.

• Lucille Brown says:

I agree Glum Puddle. I guess we will have to see how it comes out in the film. I personally don’t like the change.

• Narniapinoy says:

I really don’t care what glumPuddle says maru na naman sya! I’m excited to see it on big screen! yiii!

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

Oh that is so cool! I cannot wait to see it in the movie! Thank you so much icaris for the transcipt and whoever sent in the video! I wonder what dragon they are talking about? I agree with fantasia_kitty because the dragon didn’t hurt anyone. It must be Eustace. I’m so EXCITED!!!

• Queen Swanwhite says:

it could be…I guess. But I have a feeling it might be the Lord Octesian…maybe. But who knows?? πŸ˜€

• 7chronicles says:

I would think it would be Eustace, but maybe they changed it, so the crew saw the dragon that Eustace see’s when he got lost. So maybe they know there is a dragon on the island before they even land there. I hope we get more footage!!!!

• Karine says:

A video! Finally!

• Shasta says:

Whoa! That’s awesome!!!

• BenBarnesGal says:

HUH? I did’nt quite understand what everyone was doing on board….

• Karine says:

Uh.. acting? lol

• blarneybaby says:

They were running around reacting to the sea serpent’s attack on the dawn treader. They have to run around like he’s destroying things and chasing them around the ship. They’ll add the serpent in CGI later. They’re just getting a foundation placed so that they have something to work with. It’s hard acting to what you can’t see.

• AsbelMcTalisker says:

This is just the remaining crew left behind while most of the principle characters are on the island.
        Not everybody would have gone ashore.

• Jessica says:

They said "Dragon" not Sea Serpent, so it might be Dragon Roost Island (where Eustace becomes a dragon).
        Although…it could be they are trying to hide that fact ^^;
        It’s fun to guess πŸ˜€

• Peter's little sister says:

It is possible that they are saying "dragon" for short instead of sea serpent? That could get tedious trying to direct a bunch of people. It looks good though =D I’m looking forward to it.

• mm1991 says:

I don’t mind if it is, indeed, changed. If it fits, great.

• Edmund P says:

Wow, that’s really cool! I’m guessing that the Dragon is supposed to be the EustaceDragon? I hope that is the case…

• Glenstorm the Great says:

yeah! it’s finally coming togethor! i can’t believe it’s actually being made now!

• Narnia Lover says:

Sweet! I can’t wait! SAIL ON VDT!

• true-narnian_queen says:

WOW!!! we are getting videos!but you could not see Ben or Georgie or Skander! but this was so exciting! SAILON DAWN TREADER!!!

• Yaimeyeah says:

Wow! I would love to be there! probably it’s Eustace, but then again they may have changed the sea serpent into a dragon,and yet again it maybe when they’re near the dark island and that unknown thing is settling on the mast! IDK! We’ll have to wait for the movie to come out to know I guess! πŸ™

• ExtremeFan says:

aaaahhh!!!! sooo exciting!!!

• Arwen says:

Excuse me if I’m totally off on what’s happening there πŸ™‚ but is this an actual scene or is it a practice for a scene? It sounds to me like it’s one person telling the others where the dragon is going and what they need to do, whereas in the movie the sailors should be able to see that for themselves, right?

• daughter of the King says:

Since the dragon is CG, they have to have a line of sight for the actors to follow. What we are hearing is probably the assistant director telling the cast where to look. We won’t actually hear that in the final version. They just use the visual of the cast reacting rather than the audio.

• Arwen says:

OK, thanks. This is my first time following a movie while it is being made like this! It makes sense (that they would use the visual and not the audio). Just didn’t sound much like a movie script to me, haha.

• NarniaRox says:

Another thing is that, the microphones will be directed at the actors, so in the movie, the director will obviously not be heard.
        Its hard to tell from the video if its a practice or real, but its really exciting, to see how they film with CGI and stuff.
        Thanks for the video!

• Warrior 4 Jesus says:

Arwen, I believe the actors are being prompted to react to something that’s not there but that will be added later to the scene – probably a CGI dragon. That’s the nature of modern movie making.

• Arwen says:

Yeah, I agree. I had thought it would sound weird to hear the audio at the same time as we see the dragon in the movie doing the exact same thing.

• NarniaWarrior says:

Ahh…and what does Tirian and Fantasia Kitty think about this???? it is very cool but not a whole lot to see but definitely alot to hear…eh??

• Aslan's my homeboy says:

Awesome a video! I think that would be so awkward to react to something that isn’t there good thing I am not an actress

• greenbird37 says:

This is so exciting, cant wait! progress is being made!

• Lucy the Valiant says:

wow…interesting…don’t know what I think of it yet though. I just wish I could see the movie…tonight!!!! I’m tired of worrying about it……the ship is absolutely beautiful though!!!!!!

• aussie_lucy says:

Interesting, intriguing video! It’s hard to tell what it will be like without the actual dragon there but it sounds pretty good so far, I think.

• Eilonwy19 says:

It could be the Dark Island scene. I know its bright sunshine out but they can change anything with CGI these days. The scene with the Dark Island has Caspian saying something about "It’s just going to settle on the mast." It’s more likely Eustace as a dragon though. Either way I’ll have to see it in the movie before I pass judgment.

• Leolani says:

I don’t think it is the dark island, because each person was imagining something different happening, but it was all in their minds πŸ˜‰

• Eilonwy19 says:

true. I was just brainstorming. maybe the confusing yelling is Caspian trying to tell the men where the dragon is that they can’t see. The scene probably has something to do with Eustace though. I just thought I’d throw something different out there.

• Movie Aristotle says:

I think the *something something* that icarus couldn’t identify in the transcript was just the person misspeaking and correcting himself. "And now he’s flying off towards the island *and he’s going to (pause) the island* and he’s going off to sea.

• Miguel says:

I love a dragon attack! I think it’s going to be really epic! And I’m sure it’s real. Look this at 0:39… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20iYGGhO38Q It’s from the Prince Caspian DVD.

• Aravis Narnia says:

I wonder who is speaking.

• Ryno says:

someone needs to have a serious lesson in how to hold a camera steady…

• yeswelovenarnia says:

Well what ever they are doing it looks cool. but to actually see them doing something is awesome!!!!!!!!

• Kayla says:

That is super cool. But who is saying it. I did not recognize the voice.

• fauntastic says:

I think this is K.C. Hoodenfield speaking, he is the first assistant director (I think) and this sounds like his voice. I could be completely wrong, but that is just my guess!

• The narniad says:

Oh WOW!I never expected footage from the set! I think this must the first encounter the crew has with the EustaceDragon- at least I hope so! I so can’t wait for 2010!!! SAIL ON VDT!!!

• cuppycakesrach says:

woooooo so exciting!!!!!!

• Affy-Ann says:

This is amazing! It’s making me really REALLY excited to watch the movie! I think it’ll be so cool when I see this scene in the film and I’ll remember what they did when they were shooting it. Making movies is absolutely awesome, especially when it’s a film like Narnia. =)

• fauntastic says:

That is one of my favourite things about watching movies after seeing the bonus features, you know how it was made! I feel like I was let in on a secret almost…haha πŸ˜‰

• Narnia Girl says:

Whoa! I’m getting SO excited. I can’t wait for the movie. Only problem was that the camera was kinda shaky…lol, it was still really cool though.

• Embrace says:

Enter The Dragon! We better get Eustace…ome changes!

ok whoever had the camera shook too much, but it all looks interesting still. do they mean the sea serpent? because i dont remember any dragon attack, unless its eustace trying to reach them or something.

• Narniamiss says:

Wow, the shaky camera almost drove me nuts! ;P But I’m very thankful to see anything at all! I can’t help but assume at this point that it is Eustace that is attacking the ship.

• BradenWoodburn says:

That’s amazing! Now whenever I see this scene in the movie I will remember watching them do it! So cool! Man oh man how I cannot wait for this movie!

• Xenithar says:

This movie is going to be awesome!

• Queen of Narnia says:

At the very beginning is it possible he says "Wait" instead of "Wave"? Somehow it would fit the situation…"Wait! It’s a dragon!"
    Just a thought…

• InLoveWithAslan says:

That was cool! I wanna be there and watch!!!

• K. J. Hill (aka T. J. Black) says:

WOW! WOW! WOW! I love it! It is so, so cool to see it in the making!!! I can’t wait to see more!!!!

• Laura Elizabeth says:

I clicked on the link, but it didn’t do anything. It said done at the bottom, but nothing showed up.

• King Skandar the Just says:

wow…were they rehearsing?

• Always a Narian Queen says:

This is very exciting! First video….wow!

I think this is the part after they leave the island when Eustace is a changed boy and the water dragon is after them. It is in the book I just can’t remember the exact chapter off the top of my head.

• checkers says:

That….was….AWESOME!!! Okay, so we couldn’t see anything, but that was still really cool. πŸ™‚

• martin the warrior says:

finally! we get to see a video.

• PrincessLeia327 says:

It would be my dream job to get a position on a Narnia Film crew. I have a degree in film production, so I get to do similar things every day! It’s awsome!!

• WarriorQueen says:

My computer won’t let me watch this video! πŸ™

cool video!!! is it supposed to be them filming the scene with the sea monster?

• Edmund-is-hot says:

Ooooooooooh! I can’t wait!

• anonymous narnian citizen says:

i think i figured it out ,the dragon is not eustace it’s lord octesian,heading for the ship.when the crew fires at the dragon,lord octesian gets injured and flies back to the island where eustacefoind him dying because of his injuries.now that makes perfect sense

• Alambil and Tarva says:

Oh, I thought this was supposed to be the scene with the sea monster…I mean, like someone said, it’s probably easier to refer to it as the "dragon" than "sea monster" or "sea serpent". I mean, the guy does say, "he’s going out to sea" or something. But whatever…lol I love watching how they film this stuff. People running around while a director yells at them telling them to react to imaginary creatures. LOL xD

• J. G. Heck says:

It looks that they will need to film it a lot more times