Netflix’s Narnia Reboot: What We Know
Updated: December 22, 2022
Netflix is developing new live-action adaptations of The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. This page will be updated regularly with the latest information.
Series and Movies
Producer Mark Gordon said this collaboration has “the capacity to translate the Narnia universe into both stellar feature-length and episodic programming.”
What does that mean exactly? Listen to our discussion about this on Talking Beasts: The Narnia Podcast.
Matthew Aldrich, co-writer of Pixar’s Coco, was named the Creative Architect in 2019. The announcement said he would “oversee the development and creative live-action adaptation of C.S. Lewis’ beloved The Chronicles of Narnia series” and will “work across both series and film […] on all projects under the deal.
Is Aldrich a good choice to helm Netflix’s Narnia? Here is what we think.
- Entertainment One (eOne)
- The C.S. Lewis Company
This is the first time the rights to all seven Narnia books have been held by the same company. According to The Sunday Times, Netflix paid nearly $250m for the rights.
The following people were listed as producers in the initial press release:
- Mark Gordon
- Douglas Gresham (stepson of C. S. Lewis)
- Vincent Sieber
(Executive producers for series, producers for features)
The original press release included the word “universe” 3 times, which caused some fans to speculate that we would see original content that expanded on the canon of C. S. Lewis. But, that is merely speculation at this point.
In April 2019, Producer Mark Gordon said, “The pitch [to Netflix] was that we would be selling not just one movie or one book as a series. There were 3,000 characters in Narnia. So there was this very ripe opportunity.”
Should fans be concerned about Netflix expanding the world of Narnia? Here is what we think.
Will Netflix start over and do their version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? Will they pick up where the Walden Media movies left off and do The Silver Chair? Or perhaps another book? This has not been officially addressed, but here is what we think:
What happened to The Silver Chair movie?
Beginning in 2013, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair was in development with Director Joe Johnston and Screenwriter David Magee. But the project was abandoned partially due to creative differences.
As of December 2018, David Magee is not involved with the Netflix productions.
To be announced.
In August 2021, a source close to the production told NarniaWeb that the project was still in “active development.”
- 9.18.18 RUMOR: Netflix Developing a Narnia Series?
- 10.3.18 Official: Netflix Developing Narnia Movies and Series!
- 11.9.18 Netflix’s Narnia Adaptations Will Be Live-Action
- 12.5.18 Screenwriter David Magee Not Involved with Narnia on Netflix
- 2.27.19 Gresham on Possible Multi-Episode Narnia Series at Netflix
- 4.11.19 The Pitch That Sold Narnia to Netflix
- 6.12.19 Matthew Aldrich to Oversee Netflix’s Narnia
- 6.18.19 Who Is Matthew Aldrich? All About the Creative Architect for Netflix’s Narnia
- 8.23.19 Hasbro Acquires Entertainment One
- 10.26.19 Netflix Paid “Nine Figures” for Narnia Rights?
- 11.8.19 What Happened to The Silver Chair Movie
- 1.22.20 Douglas Gresham “Hasn’t Heard a Word” on Netflix’s Narnia
- 5.4.20 Georgie Henley on the Pressure of Playing Lucy in Narnia (addresses Netflix reboot)
- 5.29.20 With Narnia Trending Worldwide, Netflix Says Adaptation Is Still Happening
- 6.20.20 Matthew Aldrich Consults Kids in Screenwriting Process
- 8.6.20 Netflix Wants More “Family Live Action, Fantasy, Spectacle”
- 9.4.20 Mark Gordon to Head New Production Company With eOne
- 11.11.20 Netflix Says Narnia is Moving Forward
- 1.1.21 Producer Mark Gordon Excited for Narnia “Films and TV Series” on Netflix”
- 1.12.21 Netflix Film Chief Looks “Beyond 2021,” Mentions Narnia
- 2.10.21 Netflix Adapting “Redwall” Children’s Fantasy Novels
- 8.6.21 Source: Netflix’s Narnia Still in Development
- 10.1.21 New President at Mark Gordon Pictures Worked on Narnia
- 10.28.21 Matthew Aldrich Attended Showrunner Training Program
- 11.14.22 Rumor: Greta Gerwig to Direct Netflix’s Narnia Movies?
- 12.22.22 Netflix Hints at Narnia Theatrical Release
- 9.21.18 Should Netflix Reboot Narnia? | Talking Beasts
- 9.29.18 The Business Angle of the Narnia-Netflix Deal
- 10.9.18 Netflix is Building a Narnia “Universe” | Talking Beasts
- 3.7.19 Where Netflix’s Narnia Reboot Should Start | Talking Beasts
- 4.17.19 Is Netflix’s Narnia Trying to Be the Next Game of Thrones? | Talking Beasts
- 6.17.19 Coco Writer: Good or Bad Choice to Helm Netflix’s Narnia? | Talking Beasts
- 12.17.19 6 Scenes We Can’t Wait to See in a Narnia Movie Someday |Talking Beasts
- 10.5.20 What the Magic Wardrobe Should Look Like
- 3.7.21 Wishlist for Netflix’s Narnia | Talking Beasts
- 10.7.21 Should the Fans Revolt if Netflix Expands Narnia | Talking Beasts
11.1.22 Netflix Has Changed Since Acquiring Narnia
- 12.15.22 Why Netflix Wants Narnia | Talking Beasts