Netflix’s Narnia Reboot
Last Updated: August 23, 2019
Netflix is developing new adaptations of The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. This page will be updated regularly with the latest information.
- Entertainment One (eOne)
- The C.S. Lewis Company
This is the first time the rights to all seven Narnia books have been held by the same company.
Series and Movies?
Producer Mark Gordon said this collaboration has “the capacity to translate the Narnia universe into both stellar feature-length and episodic programming.”
What does that mean exactly? Listen to our discussion about this on Talking Beasts: The Narnia Podcast.
Matthew Aldrich, co-writer of Pixar’s Coco, has been named the Creative Architect. He will “oversee the development and creative live-action adaptation of C.S. Lewis’ beloved The Chronicles of Narnia series” and will “work across both series and film […] on all projects under the deal.”
Is Aldrich a good choice to helm Netflix’s Narnia? Here is what we think.
- Mark Gordon
- Douglas Gresham (stepson of C. S. Lewis)
- Vincent Sieber
(Executive producers for series, producers for features)
The original press release included the word “universe” 3 times, which caused some fans to speculate that we would see original content that expanded on the canon of C. S. Lewis. But, that is merely speculation at this point.
In April 2019, Producer Mark Gordon said, “The pitch [to Netflix] was that we would be selling not just one movie or one book as a series. There were 3,000 characters in Narnia. So there was this very ripe opportunity.”
Will Netflix start over and do their version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? Will they pick up where the Walden Media movies left off and do The Silver Chair? Or perhaps another book? This has not been officially addressed, but here is what we think:
What Happened to The Silver Chair movie?
The status of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair has not been officially addressed.
Entertainment One and Sony were developing The Silver Chair with Director Joe Johnston and Screenwriter David Magee. Johnston said he hoped filming would begin in 2018 but that did not happen. As of December 2018, Magee is not involved with the Netflix productions.
To be announced.
- 9.18.18 RUMOR: Netflix Developing a Narnia Series?
- 10.3.18 Official: Netflix Developing Narnia Movies and Series!
- 11.9.18 Netflix’s Narnia Adaptations Will Be Live-Action
- 12.5.18 Screenwriter David Magee Not Involved with Narnia on Netflix
- 2.27.19 Gresham on Possible Multi-Episode Narnia Series at Netflix
- 4.11.19 The Pitch That Sold Narnia to Netflix
- 6.12.19 Matthew Aldrich to Oversee Netflix’s Narnia
- 8.23.19 Hasbro Acquires Entertainment One
- 9.21.18 Should Netflix Reboot Narnia? | Talking Beasts
- 9.29.18 The Business Angle of the Narnia-Netflix Deal
- 10.9.18 Netflix is Building a Narnia “Universe” | Talking Beasts
- 3.7.19 Where Netflix’s Narnia Reboot Should Start | Talking Beasts
- 4.17.19 Is Netflix’s Narnia Trying to Be the Next Game of Thrones? | Talking Beasts
- 6.17.19 Coco Writer: Good or Bad Choice to Helm Netflix’s Narnia? | Talking Beasts