Ben Barnes Cast in ‘I Was Bono’s Doppleganger’

Posted November 5, 2009 7:48 am by fantasia_kitty

From IFTN.ie: Ben Barnes has been announced to star in ‘I Was Bono’s Doppelganger.’ Barnes will replace fellow British actor Charlie Cox (Stardust) who was originally cast. The production will star Barnes alongside previously announced Irish actor Robert Sheehan (Cherrybomb, Summer of the Flying Saucer). The duo will play brothers Neil and Ivan McCormick who formed a band in Dublin in the late 70s – but found themselves constantly compared to their classmates’ band, namely U2. Read the whole story here.

• ChristProclamer says:

Ben relives his Hyrise days? ;P Good to see he isn’t limiting himself to fantasy-type movies.

• JadistarkilleR says:

we’ll call this Barnes’ therapy from the horror that was Hyrise ;). either that or "Spinal Tap v.2" 😀

i’m excited for this movie. i’ve read the book this film is based on (hilariously excellent read btw!). i’m hoping that the film would at least be half as entertaining as the book, just to do Neil McCormick’s story some justice. also its set to the backdrop of U2, one of my favorite bands. the songs alone will be worth the price of admission.

also this is excellent material for Ben. he is truly a music man, so this film will play to his strengths and finally showcase them to (most) of those who arent aware of his musical abilities. but best of all, Ben has the unique insight of experiencing what the author went through– the attempt at a music career and then seeing it crash and burn before your eyes.

speaking of which, Barnes better toughen up about his Eurovision past because this film will undoubtedly bring all the Hyrise questions back to the fore. he handled the vanity questions rather well when he was promoting Dorian Gray, but its known that he’s rather easily flustered when anybody makes even the slightest indication about Hyrise and Eurovision.

• PaigeReeder says:

Ben Barnes played a young version of the father of Charlie Cox’s character in Stardust. Hahah. That makes me chuckle.

• JadistarkilleR says:

Barnes actually tried out for the lead role of Tristan in Stardust but lost out to Charlie Cox. but the production team remembered his great audition so they offered him the role of Dunstan instead.

four years later and roles are reversed. oh the irony it must be for Cox! 😉

• Alexa says:

if only he can act ,i bet this movie is going to be as horrible as DG and EV and nobody would care.
    Ben just stay pretty in Narnia.

• aravistarkheena says:

IF ONLY HE CAN ACT?!?!?! WHAT DID U JUST SAY?!?!?! THIS IS A BEN FAN UR COMMENTING WITH!!!!!!

• 2benlovin'bffs says:

You must be nuts alexa! Ben is the best actor like-ever!(not to mention the like the hottest guyin the world)I am standing with my friend H here!You are crazy you need to like watch who you mess with girl! Who made you the actor critic?! grrrr.

• aravistarkheena says:

*aravistarkheena grrs along with 2benlovin’bffs* grrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Heather says:

Excuse me?!?!? Ben is a good actor….have you seen the movie trailer for Locked In? He is so expressive!! Take a look at it, maybe it’ll change your mind.

• aravistarkheena says:

I haven’t seen the trailer-it’s good? I just want to know.

• aravistarkheena says:

Never mind about telling me if it’s good-I just watched it. But a word of cation to all the younger veiwers-about 3/4 of the way through the trailor, there is some laguage that may not be for the younger peeps. And also one of the characters(I won’t say who)is drinking to wash away the stress and sadness. Just something that I know my parents would want for their kids to know.

• 2benlovin'bffs says:

by the way,Ben did NOT chose his lines-or actions in Dorian Gray Or Easy Virtue-Ok Easy Virtue seems kinda stupid . . . alright it IS stupid but he didn’t make it up! He HAS to earn a living ya know! He can’t just "look pretty" on narnia! There is only two more with him in it-What is he gonna do after that,crawl in a hole?!?!? sheesh!

• aravistarkheena says:

I know, 2benlovingbffs, he has got to make a loving here. You know what actor I want to go and jump in a hole? (you will agree with me on this) Robert Pattinson. Gross. And yea, Easy Virtue is kind of a stupid movie. You got me there. But whoever disagrees with me on the fact that he is a good actor had better watch out.

• Lucille Brown says:

hmm… I wonder what the movie is about.

• JadistarkilleR says:

Barnes will play Neil McCormick (the author of the book the film is based on). McCormick wanted to become a rock star and had it all planned out… except for one thing– schoolmate Paul Hewson who will become frontman Bono of global superstar rock band U2.

i’ll just post the book’s blurb, it describes the plot best:

Some are born great. Some achieve greatness. Some have greatness thrust upon them. And some have the misfortune to go to school with Bono.

Everyone wants to be famous. But as a young punk in Dublin in the 1970s, Neil McCormick’s ambitions went way beyond mere pop stardom. It was his destiny to be a veritable Rock God. He had it all worked out: the albums, the concerts, the quest for world peace. There was only one thing he hadn’t counted on. The boy sitting on the other side of the classroom had plans of his own.

Killing Bono is a story of divergent lives. As Bono and his band U2 ascended to global superstardom, his school friend Neil scorched a burning path in quite the opposite direction. Bad drugs, weird sex, bizarre haircuts: Neil experienced it all in his elusive quest for fame. But sometimes it is life’s losers who have the most interesting tales to tell.

from: http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Bono-Was-Bonos-Doppelganger/dp/0743482484

• Me Sa U Sa says:

YIKES!!!!!! Are they almost done filming?

• Lucy P. says:

Looks like the sort of avant garde-ey thing a British actor like Ben would do well in.

• aravistarkheena says:

I just heard that term in English class today…. darn! I forgot what advant garde was! BTW, what do you mean by that?

• ernesto torres chávez says:

pero que bien que le salga bien las cosas bueno bye

• Peepicheep says:

What on earth is it? I would like to know!

• Peepiceeka says:

Hmmm…very interesting. It’s certainly a change of character for Ben.

that’s so cool.

• narnian4life says:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE U2 AND I LOVE NARNIA!!!!

• loverforBen says:

This is pretty funny I just got some U2 albums a few days ago that is funny!