Narnia Halloween Party on the Gold Coast

Posted November 1, 2009 8:42 pm by fantasia_kitty

Howard Berger celebrates Halloween - GoldCoast.com.au

Howard Berger celebrates Halloween - GoldCoast.com.au

Just before filming wraps up for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Howard Berger threw everyone a bigย Halloweenย party.

From GoldCoast.com:

Oscar award-winning make-up artist Howard Berger threw a Halloween party for fellow cast and crew of the Chronicles of Narnia film on Saturday.

Berger, from the US, tells CC he was feeling homesick and wanted to bring the American holiday to the Gold Coast with a party at Southport Bowls Club.

He says Halloween is one of his favourite holidays and he’s even more enthusiastic than his teenage kids.

“I phoned to ask them about Halloween and they were like ‘Dad, it’s not until tomorrow’. I’m more excited about it than they are,” says Berger.

GoldCoast.com.au also interviewed Ben Barnes who said “he has enjoyed his time on the Gold Coast and is not looking forward to returning home to the UK. The Gold Coast is beautiful.”

And finally, Skandar Keynes happened to mention that “the Gold Coast gives him the heebie jeebies.ย That, and ‘evil pumpkins.’ ” Though he never did explain why he found the area scary. Perhaps he was joking?

You can read the three stories here,ย here, and here.

Thanks to everyone who sent this story in!

• campgirl says:

Sweet! That’s a hilarious picture of Howard! What’s he dressed up as? It looks kinda like the little boy on Wild Things….maybe?
    I don’t think I’d want to go back to the UK if I was Ben, either!! Hmm, I wonder why Skandy said that…. Wish that one had pictures!! :p

• JadistarkilleR says:

yup thats it exactly! theres an article saying that Berger was approached to do Wild Things but he declined it because the film was being done in a way that he didnt quite like.

somehow its quite gratifying to see Berger come in dressed like that. way to go Howard!

at first i thought he was the white witch! lol wasnt that a silly idea! yeah he does look like the boy from wild things.

Ahhh hahaha great to see Howard in that costume! "Where the Wild Things Are" was a huge inspiration for him. He had it read to him every night as a kid.

• ellz-bellz says:

Methinks he may have dressed up as Max as a bit of a ironic joke, seeing as he turned the film down, saying it was ‘Terrible idea’?

• Narnia Lover says:

ALSOME! That’s cool that they threw a Halloween party! ๐Ÿ˜€

• please type here says:

LOL! Skandie’s afraid of Evil pumpkins! I don’t have a vauge idea of what he means by ‘evil pumpkins,’ though. maybe referring to halloween decorations??

• 220chrisTian says:

In the Facebook pics, some people were wearing pumpkins [plastic, I think] on their heads. It looked really strange. But I saw worse things than pumpkins in the pics! Still, "evil pumpkins" … lol

• narniaqueen says:

hey christian, could you tell me where you found the facebook pics?

• Lissi says:

Hahahahahahaha! Skandar is so funny!

• Aslan's my homeboy says:

Wow skandar really lol gotta love him

• aslans_song says:

I love the picture of Howard! Glad to see this new movie didn’t ruin the book for him!

• MurtaghLuv says:

Lol, I wonder what everybody dressed up as?

• dinky doop bum says:

Georgie went as Superwoman, Ben and William went as The Mario Brothers, Shane Rangi went as a nun, Ben went as something with huge purple glasses etc. etc.

• lanternwaste says:

really? how do you know?

• dinky doop bum says:

well
        1. i saw the pics on Tami and Howards facebook and 2. i was there =)

• JadistarkilleR says:

dinky, cool photos! did you come in costume? which character?

• narniafan4ever โ™ฅ says:

Is there a way I can see the pics without being a member of Facebook?

and how were you there?! lucky….i would have loved to see the mario brothers! and shane as a nun! oh that would have been so hilarious! my brother had to dress up as a nun once, along with other teens, to do a play at my church. more like a rediculous redo of sister act! ๐Ÿ™‚

• MurtaghLuv says:

Yeah is there a way we could see the photos without being on fave book.

• narniaqueen says:

dinky doop bum, does tami lane add everybody?

• dinky doop bum says:

Okay so to answer a few questions:
        yes Tami Lane adds everyone, basically everybody involved in the movie adds anybody and they’re all very nice, and I was there because I’m involved in the movie production.
        And I came as a giant eyeball.

• JadistarkilleR says:

dinky, that was you? lol! very creative. was it a character you made up yourself or was it inspired from a movie/ book/ song? initially i thought you were the Eye of Sauron but i dont see you on fire :D.

• tenthofthatname says:

dinky doop bum, were you dressed as a member of The Residents?

• Rising_Star says:

Ben went as Willy Wonka. ;P

• lanternwaste says:

haha. wow. cool.

news has really been slowing.

i’m sad that filming will wrap in three weeks. :[ can’t wait for the movie though!

• tenthofthatname says:

That’s how I feel. I guess filming had to end eventually, but when they’re in the middle of filming it makes me think they’d work on bringing the magic of Narnia to life forever. On the other hand, I’d love to see the movie as soon as possible. Win some lose some sort of situation. I love seeing that they’re having fun while working though!

• Mal says:

Hey, what we can think is that after the filming news, we watch all the cool trailers that will come out afterwards!!!!

so true mal! now thats what im looking forward to for now, and seeing those would let me know if i need to be freaking out for the movie because it looks screwed or be really excited because it looks so awesome!

• narniaNut says:

If filming wraps in three weeks does that mean the movie will come out ahead of schedule?

• Fire Fairy says:

Nope. Don’t forget that they still need to do all of the CGI and VFX. That’ll take them several months, at least. Besides, I think the filming schedule says they planned on wrapping it up in three weeks, anyways.

• Aunt Letty says:

‘sides, it only said that filming was wrapping up on the Gold Coast. Likely they have set filming to do still, if not other locations.

• Aslan's my homeboy says:

I know it makes me sad too. I don’t want it to end because I know that Georgie and Skandar won’t be coming back for a while it is sad

• coracle says:

Georgie went as Wonderwoman. Ben was Willy Wonka.
    Will and Skandar were the Super Mario Brothers.
    My favourite from the pictures I’ve seen was actually someone who went to the party as Howard!!

• tenthofthatname says:

Some truth to the Mario Brothers thing or photoshop? See the thumbnail next to "Evil pumpkins scare Narnia star Skandar Keynes"

• adamie says:

I bet that’s something we might find in the extra’s of the dvd and blu-ray!

• Warrior 4 Jesus says:

Howard Berger has great taste! He looks great in Max’s wolf suit, very cool. I can’t wait for Where The Wild Things Are to come to Australia.

• Me Sa U Sa says:

I hate halloween! But that looks silly.

• iLiveInNarnia says:

Haha. I love it! Skandar….ah skandar… That’s all I need to say. ๐Ÿ™‚

• skandyfan says:

Actually I donยดt really like halloween, but Iยดd really loved to be on that party! Who was Skandar from the Super Mario brothers??

• JadistarkilleR says:

Skandar came in as Luigi. Will Poulter came as Mario. to be honest, they had the best concept costume. simple but very effective.

• iLiveInNarnia says:

That’s amazing!!!

• narniafan4ever โ™ฅ says:

I wish I could see the pictures. ๐Ÿ™ sniffle. I don’t have a Facebook at the moment, so I can’t see the pics! ๐Ÿ™

• 220chrisTian says:

narniafan4ever โ™ฅ: are you on Narniaweb? If so, I can copy the pics and send them to you. Or maybe you can send me an email address. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Fire Fairy says:

That’s okay, narniafan4ever, I don’t have facebook either…

• MurtaghLuv says:

neither do I.

• narniafan4ever โ™ฅ says:

220chrisTian:
        Well, I don’t know what you mean by "am I on Narnia Web"….Do you mean that you can become a member or something? And I don’t really know who you are….so I feel a little uncomfortable with sharing it with you…plus, I don’t have a way to tell you my e-mail address without telling it to everyone else on this chat…so, sorry! I still want to see the pics, though. ๐Ÿ™

• yeswelovenarnia says:

WOW that must have been soo much fun!!! aw man filming wraps up already!!!!!! no fair!!! I want more news and we hardly got any!!!!

• Narniabigfan says:

AWESOME!They’re all having fun! I love the picture.
    But Skandar looks different, but still love it!

• lucyrocks17 says:

Howard looks awesome love the costume!! =)

• Princess Arya says:

Wow! Nice costume, Howard ๐Ÿ˜‰
    How you guys all saw this so fast I sure don’t know…usually I’m one of the first!

• Princess Arya says:

Wait — filming is ALREADY about to wrap up? I know it’s supposed to in November…but I thought the schedule said they still had to film at more islands, not just the MovieWorld studios…

• ernesto torres chรกvez says:

y el final de la pelicula cuando la van a firmar ya quiero que lo pongan el trailer por favor

• aravis_tarkina says:

Ditto there, Princess Arya. What’s the deal? Are they all done, or something?

• Matt Taylor says:

this is disapointing, considering Narnia is meant to be a set of books based on Christianity. C.S.Lewis wouldn’t be pleased

• Bookwyrm says:

Unless there’s some kind of documented evidence that C. S. Lewis disapproved of Halloween, I don’t think it’s appropriate for you to claim he would be displeased by the cast having a Halloween party. He’s kinda dead and can’t defend himself.

• Lutra's Pearl says:

Oh no, we are finally getting news and I wont be able to be on for a long time!!!! At least I saw this first. KEEP THE STORY OF ASLAN ALIVE!!!!!!!!

• NarniaWarrior says:

Halloween Party!!! Hmmmm. Lutra’s pearl…The story of Aslan will live forever!..Long Live Aslan !!!

• Aravis Tarkheena says:

Hmmmmm I wonder why Skandar Doesn’t like the Goldcoast and I wonder if its a joke? and LOL abot the ‘evil pumpkins’ ^^

• decarus says:

I think it must have been a joke. Otherwise it doesn’t make any sense.

• Aravis Tarkheena says:

Well thats what confuses me is if it is a joke then why would he say it I mean that could get people to not like him if they live there and if its not a joke then Why would he say it to the public because that could effend some of the people there. And I’m wondering did he just say that to get the press off his back and to just give them something to say?

• decarus says:

Don’t you think he just said that because they were at a halloween party. He was saying like this creeps me out. Making a joke because it was a halloween party. I am not saying it is funny, but i think that makes sense.

• Lucy is awsome says:

Skandar shouldn’t be scared of "The Great Pumpkin" he’ll bring you presents on Halloween!!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

• waleed sajjad says:

SKANDAR??!! AFRAID OF THE GOALD COAST??! ive neveer herd of anything weerder! i wonder why….
    by the way – i think i saw David Vallon on the scooby doo movie-u know, the real one. in the cast section of the vdt it sed he was on scooby doo, but i didn’t know which. it wasn’t until the second viewing that i reelized the creepy dude giving the fone to scooby was vallon. lol!

• Anonymous Narnian says:

The Gold Coast is lovely… maybe Skandar’s overwhelmed? Howard looks so great in his Wild Things costume.

• Warrior 4 Jesus says:

The Sunshine Coast is better than the Gold Coast but Skandar may have been scared off by what’s in the water, not the beach itself. Our waters are teeming with dangerous animals.

• Narnia is Awesome!!! says:

Itโ€™s still a witch, and a movie full of magic, the magic is not condoned whatsoever. And I know sorcery is listed right along with witchcraft in Bible passages. Where do you draw the line?

• Princess Arya says:

"Magic" is a term C.S. Lewis used for discussing spirituality. You know the word is used in many fairy tales. Nowhere does Lewis agree with the evil magic of the Witches, two of the villains in the series. Always the good triumphs over the evil. Note that there aren’t gray lines like where the protagonist is learning to use magic to their benefit (I have certain books in mind). Magic is shown in Narnia to be a slippery thing. On the other hand, Aslan knows the deep ‘magic’ from before the Dawn of Time; which is before the magic that the Witch knew. I think it’s just a term Lewis used, as is used in many fairy tales. I hope this may shed perhaps some insight.

• ASLAN'S CHILD says:

sweet.we finally have news.i was getting a little worried there.but im not that excited that they celebrated holloweeen.i mean i was hoping they keep to lewis believe in christianity that they dont celebrate holleween.i love how skandar says heebe jeebes.thats something he would totally say.anyway, i’ve missed the update on narnia.keep me posted.

• For Narnia and For Aslan says:

I cannot beleive filming will be done sos soon! Im glad they threw a party, sounds liek it would have been fun! I love how he dressed up as Max, from where the wild things are. Im so sad filming will be over soon! It all happened so fast!

• Lillyput90 says:

Cool outfits! I saw the one of Skandar and Will on facebook (someone has it as their profile pic).

• Aunt Letty says:

Make of this what you will, but out of curiosity,and becausse of what was said above, I did some research in the archives of the police department of the major east-coast metropolis near my home city, and found that incidences of crime of any sort were no higher on or near Halloween. In fact, the statistics were pretty even throughout the year with a small, but significant bump over one other holiday…

yeah, you probably guessed it: Christmas.

Go figure. Just FYI in the interests of accuracy.

• Aunt Letty says:

And, I should add that I chose the metropolis near me rather than some other city because people are REALLY into Halloween here. In all it’s permutations.