Visits to the Dawn Treader Set

Posted November 11, 2009 7:55 pm by fantasia_kitty

There are a couple blogs out there describing personal The Voyage of the Dawn Treader set visits at Movie World. There aren’t very many spoilers, but they’re still fun to read.

The first is from the blog of Nicholas Greening:

Last Friday I went to Movie World on the Gold Coast to meet with Mr Douglas Gresham, the stepson of C.S. Lewis who was the author of The Chronicles of Narnia.

Douglas Gresham very kindly allowed me and my family to see the filming of Narnia, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. We met a lot of the actors including Ben Barnes (King Caspian), Georgie Henley( Lucy Pevensie) and many of the cast and crew.

Gary Sweet (Lord Drinian, the captain of the Dawn Treader) and Skandar Keynes (Edmund Pevensie) were busy acting out a scene where the Dawn Treader is being attacked by a sea monster. The Dawn Treader was being moved around by it’s hydrolic base and all the actors were falling across the deck.

You can read Nicolas’s full report on his blog here.

The second report comes from dkyarian’s livejournal blog and it reads:

One of the coolest things we’ve been able to do was our last full day on the East Coast…we were able to visit the set of the third Narnia film, “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”!! (Many thanks to Pastor Bob! J ) We were given a personal tour of the studios by the PR Director, who let us walk through sets (a large town square, Prince Caspian’s ship quarters, & on top of the giant ship!). He also answered so many questions we had about filming, PR, etc. We also watched filming in the cast member’s chairs (I was sitting in Ben Barnes’ chair-he is the actor that plays Caspian!); there is SO much that goes into a full-length film, I couldn’t believe it! Even just one minor scene took so long to rehearse, try different angles, etc.

You can read dkyarian’s full report on his/her blog entry here.

Thanks to icarus for the heads-up!

• Lady Galadriel (used to be Princess Arya) says:

That must be fun — falling all over the deck! I imagine the "sea monster" must have been the sea serpent…meaning a dragon and sea serpent both come after the ship.

The second report — How fascinating! I didn’t think it took that much work to make a scene.

thats what i was thinking too galadriel, how fun! i would have fun falling all over the deck while its rocking. so fun!

• Lady Galadriel (used to be Princess Arya) says:

When I read what I had written, I couldn’t help but laugh. It sounds ludicrous: "It must be so fun to fall all over the deck!" But I actually am serious. 😀

• NarniaNut says:

Something similar happened in Pirates of the Caribbean when they are turning the boat upside-down to get out of Davy Jones’s locker.

• Fire Fairy says:

You’d be quite surprised at how much it takes to film even a few seconds of a scene, Lady Galadriel. Think about all of the different angles in just a few seconds of one of your favorite movies…how many times do you think they had to shoot those few seconds just to get all of those different angles? Directors also usually like to do a certain angle more than once, so that they have many different possibilities to work with in the final cut. It probably gets very tiring for the actors, having to act everything out numerous times. That’s why acting in a movie is so different from acting on stage. While stage acting requires much more memorization and improv, film acting takes focus, patience, face acting, and consistency (like making sure you’re using the same hand in each shot so the shot can be put together easily). Those actors go through a lot!!

• NarniaNut says:

Yessssss!Only a little more to go(for filming I mean)!!!!I can’t wait for it to come out.
        I also LOVE Star Trek Voyager.Has anyone else seen it?If you haven’t,GO SEE IT NOW!It is sooooo awesome. 🙂

• decarus says:

What scene did they see being filmed? Be concise. What exactly happen in the scene?

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

Those two people are so lucky! I would kill to get to set foot on the Dawn Treader! So they are doing the sea monster theme! YES!!! I cannot wait to see it! WHOO! Sail on VDT! This movie is seeming to be more awesome with every report!

• aravistarkheena says:

Oh, I would do anything to be those guys for that day! Meet the actors, be on the Dawn Treader, SIT IN BEN’S CHAIR!!!!! Oh my gosh, I wish I were them, just for that day! *cries because Harley can only be Harley, a normal girl in the US. Sniffle sniffle.*

• Lucille Brown says:

I agree. Those people are so lucky. I wish I was them.

• JadistarkilleR says:

man that sea serpent attack sounds to be the piece de resistance of the movie. seems that they’re taking the whole week (and even last week?) just shooting this scene. of course none of us can be sure if they’ve been shooting just this for the last few days or they mix it up with other scenes. i dont recall any of the actors having to take off shooting for them to disrupt finishing a scene and moving onto the next, so i’m giving an educated guess that they’re shooting the same scene for more than a week now. thats awfully long.

wow how do people manage to get so lucky like this?! where am i during all this? stuck at home wishing i was those lucky people over there watching scenes being acted out, meeting actors, and sitting in their chairs! i cant stand it! reading these things just makes me feel sad i cant be there too… oh well glad to hear things are going good at least!

I know, I wish I could go see the Dawn Treader! It would be so amazing to be able to walk on it! But I’ll probably never be able to. 🙁

• Puddleglum says:

Is there any mention of the Island of Dreams?
    It would be very interesting how they would do that. I forget the name of the Lord that they rescued, but if I remember rightly, the poor man was able to sleep "without any dreams" on the last island they came too.

• tenthofthatname says:

For the love of Aslan, it’s King Caspian now. The poor Telmarine just can’t get a break.

• aravistarkheena says:

By the mane, why can’t anyone get it right? For he love of Peter, get with it people!

• Long Live King Skandar says:

Oh my Aslan I know…people have been messing this up since day 1 practically…hopefully they’ll get it right sometime soon 🙂 Of course they will! the love of fans as well as Aslan is at stake here. But I’m sure they’ll do a wonderful job, like the people who did the river god in PC. Man that was amazing

• tenthofthatname says:

I am definitely looking forward to seeing their work on the movie! Though that won’t excuse anyone from calling Caspian "Prince" in the film…which we ought to be sure won’t happen hehe.

• narniafan4ever ♥ says:

I think it would be funny if they had people in the movie accidentally call him PRINCE Caspian and they have to correct them….it would kind of be like the part in PC when Miraz called Edmund Prince…..lol. 😀

lol yeah caspian could be like "its KING caspian actually, and i dont plan on being mixed up with the High King like Edmund!" but no everyone would call him your highness, or majesty, except for lucy, edmund, and eustace of course.

• Peter Zdarsky says:

WILL IT BE FILMED IN NEW ZEALAND?

• Anna's Sister says:

If you mean VDT then yes and no. Most of the filming is going to be on the Gold Coast. But I believe a few scenes are going to be filmed on White Island which is part of New Zealand.

dont they always? its so beautiful there! 😀

• yeswelovenarnia says:

wow i am sooo jealous!!! I really would love to see the set like that!! And i agree to just "fall all over the deck" would be sooo much fun!!!!!!

• SkandarLover45 says:

that is so cool!!!! what a great opportunity! stunting is so much fun on a movie set. can’t wait for the movie.<3 to skandar

• narnia fan7 says:

cool!!!

• Eden says:

Pretty cool! It’s nice hearing something about the film even if it isn’t very spoiler-ish. 😀

• narniafan4ever ♥ says:

Wow,k That is really neat. I am glad to have more news. Thank you!!!!!!!!! 😀 😀 😀 I can’t wait to see the film. It sounds like they are keeping a lot of the scenes of the book in the movie. 😀

• NarniaNerd says:

*is sooooooooo jealous*

I’m glad for those people though. They’re so lucky! I wish I could see!!!!!!!!

• Lissi says:

I AM SO JEALOUS!!!! That is so neat!!!

• Caspian says:

OI!!! Caspian is a KING!!!!

*ahem.* Well. Yes. This is really most exciting. I’m glad the sea serpent’s going to be in there, and that there is filming going on (for a while it was hard to tell for the lack of news…*cough cough*). This is encouraging, though. Now I can breathe again. 😉

• Adeona says:

I agree, it’s reassuring to know for sure that the sea serpent will be in the movie. And it sounds like they are doing a good job with it, too. I it would be nice if we could have gotten a few more specifics from these fortunate people… Maybe if we ask them, leave a comment on their blogs or something. But perhaps they are not allowed to share too much.

• Liberty Hoffman says:

wow! that is so cool that these people got to visit the set for VotDT! that would be fun to see the Dawn Treader rolling on hydrolicks!

THEY ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLUCKY!!!!!

• K. J. Hill says:

Awesomeness!!!!

• ernesto torres chávez says:

wow estoy soprendido de trailer y ps que ya terminen la pelicula para extrenar el 2010 su pelicula 3 de Narnia

• NarniaWarrior says:

thanks for the news….no pictures ???? you guys have spoiled us over the summer and into the fall…how’s about some pics….thanks…Long Live Aslan !!!

• Silver the Wanderer says:

Ahhh luckies!!!

Sounds neat! I can’t wait to see the sea serpent attack in the movie 😀

• King Skandar the Just says:

oh…so lucky…..so amazing…*sigh*

• Aslan's my homeboy says:

wow I am green with envy right now…. I won’t be able to go to the set *sighs* Oh well I will at least see the movie on opening day 😀 I wish I could’ve meet the actors… especially Skandar lol I love Georgie and Ben too 🙂

• Me Sa U Sa says:

…I am not sure what to say to that. But it sounds good. =D

• Bother Eustace says:

Nice! Cool to hear of the Sea Serpent.
    Heh, Pastor Bob is the name of my pastor… 😉

• Lucy says:

Say there is this very (I mean very very cool) cool game on google it’s called Pirates of the Caribbean Online it’s soooooooooooooo fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Trust me. 🙂

• NarnianElf says:

Hey, I’ve seen that game! I’ve never played it though… Is is on Candystand???

• Lucy says:

Oh I play it only on Sundays but once when I was playing it it was so not fair becuase I was playing suddintly the computer screen turned blue so I stoped playing it’s so sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁

• Jill Pole says:

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!! I sooooo very much wish I could have been there!!!!!!!!!!! Gawd I hate them for going. ITS NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• NarniaHannah♥(used to be celtic13 and LucyReepicheep4♥) says:

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo jealus!!!!!!!!! I’m so jealus I don’t know how to spell Jealus!! lol! 😛
    They are sooooooooooooo LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How in the world did they get to go!!!

• NarnianElf says:

Oh my goodness, I can’t believe that he got to meet all the cast and crew… I am SOOOOOO jealous! I completely agree with you, NarniaHannah. I am going to figure out how to get them to let me there.

• Tarwe, the Narnian Elf says:

Hi fellow Elf of Narnia! When I was reading the comments, I saw your name and just had to reply to you! 😉 Do you like ‘The Lord of the RIngs’, too?

I wonder if the movie makers allow visitors to take pics? Those people are so lucky! *taxing brain for scheme to get to the Gold Coast* 🙂

I think it is cool haw many people love Edmund! Yes! Long live King Edmund! (And all of the others, too!)

• aslanschild says:

i think (wait, KNOW) that i am with u on planing a sceme to get there! hey, if you find a way, smuggle me in ur suitcase k? 🙂

• Tarwe, the Narnian Elf says:

Definitely! We should get a whole fellowship of Narnia fans together and go to the Gold Coast! "Those that go with you, no oath nor bond is laid to go further than you will." (But I think we’ll want to go the whole way!)

• Lady Galadriel says:

Hey, I’m an elf too! Lol!
        But if only it were true…to go to the Gold Coast. *sighs*

• narniafan4ever ♥ says:

Hey there! I am an elf wanna-be…..lol. Anyways, that would be really awesome to meet the cast. *sigh* 😀 Keep the updates coming! 😀

• Tarwe, the Narnian Elf says:

What do suppose the kangaroos and the wombats think of centaurs and fauns? LOL 😉

I hope the movie makers don’t take the ‘Dawn Treader’ apart! :-0 Further up, and further in!

and im aethilwane, narnian elf princess! lol!

• iLiveInNarnia says:

Ugh, i am green with envy. I so want to meet the cast. Its a dream of mine. (kinda litterally). do u know who the mlg is??? 😉

• ernesto torres chávez says:

yo quiero que pongan el poster de su pelicula Narnia la trabesia del viajero de Alba