Bill Nighy – The New Voice of Reepicheep!

Posted February 18, 2010 4:37 pm by fantasia_kitty

In a stunning turn of events, the voice of Reepicheep has been recast in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The actor who will be voicing him? None other than the English actor, Bill Nighy.

This news was revealed by Nighy himself in an interview with David Frost posted on YouTube which can be seen here. (Comment made at 5:26.)

Eddie Izzard voiced Reepicheep in The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. There is no word on why he was replaced for Dawn Treader.

Bill Nighy, the 60-year-old actor from England, is probably most famous for his role in Pirates of the Caribbean as the octopus-faced Davy Jones. His full list of films can be viewed on his IMDb profile here.

Full credit for the find goes to ladisneyprincesse on IMDB. Thanks to icarus for the heads-up!

So what do you think? Go back to the homepage, scroll down, and vote!

Visit the ForumHave a comment or want to chime in on this news story? Check out the NarniaWeb Forum for some fantastic discussion. Just click here to post your comments. We look forward to seeing you on the forum! Here’s a quick preview of the forum discussion:

No Items Available

Unfortunately there appears to be no news items on the page you have requested logged here

• Smooshy says:

Strange about the changing of actors. I was happy with Izzard but Nighy sounds great too. I just hope I’m not distracted by the change. As long as Reep’s charcter is good I won’t care. It’s Reep I love. Not his voice. 😉

• Teddy C says:

My first disappointing news regard this movie.

• pogginfan says:

Davy Jones as Reepicheep…I’m not exactly excited about this.

• TheGentleWarrior says:

WHOA!…….. Where have I been? I wasn’t expecting this. =S 🙁 I thought Eddie Izzard was perfect as Reep! I’m not too sure about how I think of this new person yet…..

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what we think when the movie comes out! 🙂

• narnia fan 7 says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EDDIE IZZARD was PERFECT as Reepicheep!

• tolkienlewisfan says:

WTF!!!!! Eddie Izzard replace by Davy Jones. Lets hope they can pull this off!

• Hunter says:

His voice seems to deep for a mouse. I see Reep as high pitched.

• EJ says:

I think Nighy is a good choice. It would have been nice, for consistency’s sake, to have Izzard return, but apparently it just wasn’t to be.

I actually remember Nighy more as Slartibartfast, in the Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy (the Disney movie, not the BBC TV miniseries) more than for POTC. That performance shows that his range goes far beyond "tentacley" Captain Jones!

• Serenity says:

I am really not happy with this change. I kind of died a little on the inside when I heard about it actually. It was bad enough Disney was dropping the movie. That I got over after a little while but this will bug me to no end. Though I am curious as to why he was recast, and there is a number of posabilities, I think they would have been better off with Izzard. Mainly because of Reepicheep’s fanbase. Just by looking at these comments I can see the majority of us isn’t very happy because for the past few years, wether he was the right choice for the role or not, Izzard’s voice was what we thought of when we pictured Reepicheep.

I don’t care all that much for Nighy, but if I could take the recasting of the dub for Pokemon and still watch the show despite it, I can suck it up and keep my mouth quiet about Nighy as Reep’s voice. I just hope he doesn’t sound any different. I’m sure I’ll get over it the minute the movie comes out I’ve been waiting for it so long, but what I really don’t think I can take is if they make Reepicheep older. That would kill the whole movie for me.

• hannah says:

I don’t know if it would be good

• Christopher says:

This is getting ridiculous. Period. Let’s recap…….

First, Andrew Adamson is replaced by Michael Apted as director for FILM #5: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER. Then, Walt Disney Pictures runs away from the biggest live-action film series they have ever been a part of, and with 20th Century Fox, we’ll all be hearing the Fox Fanfare that we’ve ALL come to associate with STAR WARS, Harry Gregson-Williams gets replaced by some other music composer, AND………… to top it all off, Eddie Izzard, the original voice of Reepicheep, is replaced by Bill Nighy. (Don’t get me wrong, I like both of them. It’s the inexplainable change I don’t like.) HELLO?!?!?!?!?!?! How many MORE changes will we be subjected to? This is SOOOOOOOOOO much like the changes I heard that ALFONSO CUARON was going to bring to HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN, but I think this one could be worse. Then again, as someone stated above, we’ll just have to wait and see when the film comes out.

• wow says:

"And I’m a mouse. A warrior mouse named Reepicheep." His voice sucks for Reepicheep. :p and I haven’t even seen the movie yet. This is going to be a total disaster. Why, Disney? Why?

• wow says:

+ Disney has enough money already, be it that they’re one of the best well-known movie-making companies on earth. Why’d they abandon the Narnia series JUST because their last movie did less than the first one? Ridiculous.