Photo: Roy Billing as Chief Dufflepud

Posted February 24, 2010 9:39 pm by Glumpuddle

IMDb has posted a picture of Roy Billing in costume as the Chief Dufflepud. He is standing on the “magician’s garden” set we have already seen pictures of:

The production has asked us to remove the photo and we have complied.

The Dufflepuds are one of the most memorable parts of the book, but they will likely be challenging to visualize for the screen. We don’t know much about how they will be achieved. Will they be entirely computer-generated? Or half CG, half makeup (e.g. Tumnus)? All we know is that green screen tests were shot during pre-production. This picture seems to suggest that at least their upper body will be filmed on set, but it may also be that Billings just wore this to interact with the actors on set and will eventually be replaced with a fully computer-generated character.

Another issue is the character’s height. According to the book, the Dufflepuds are about dwarf-sized, but Billings is certainly not. Will they find ways to make him appear shorter, like the hobbits in The Lord of the Rings?

Thanks to Grant for the find!

• RuralNarniaFan says:

Wow, not bad! A bit older / rougher than I imagined, but I think he’ll do a good job.

• Lady_Liln says:

YAY!! Not the look I would imagine, but it’s a picture!!

• Clive Staples Sibelius says:

I think this looks great :-). A plus for the movie on this one!

• narnian1 says:

not quite like I imagined either. But doesn’t look bad either. Will have to wait and see.

• Follower of Aslan says:

It’s perfect in my opinion! I think they could be so creative with this! Yay for the Voyage!!!!

• Alambil and Tarva says:

LMHO that’s perfect :p

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

I like the way he looks a lot! Not quite like I imagined, but he does look kind of like an uglified dwarf.

• MurtaghLuv says:

well I mean we don’t have a good look at the leg but right now the way the hair is its no wonder they wanted to be invisible. I wonder what the females will look like

• greenbird37 says:

He looks the part!!

• Lissi says:

Wow that’s perfect!!! He looks great!

• Tirian says:

I believe that the entire body and foot will be computer-generated. The faces are the only part of the actor that will be used. Roy Billing looks just like the concept art I saw last weekend.

• Susan the Gentel says:

i have to say this is pretty good, not exactly what i was thinking but i like it 🙂

Yeah, he doesn’t look like I expected, but then again I’m not sure quite what I expected. I never really visualized the Dufflepuds. But if his personality is the same as in the book, I think it will work out fine.
      I wonder if we’ll get to see Clipsie in the movie? 🙂

• NarniaHannah♥(used to be celtic13 and LucyReepicheep4♥) says:

I never really visuilized the dufflepuds either. Maybe that’s because they were invisiblefor the first part. 😉

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

Come to think of it, I can’t really say I have either! I think I’ll have to agree on the whole first bit of them being invisible.
        Personally, I think he looks rather like a dwarf, but then, that’s exactly what they were to begin with ("though not like the nice ones in Narnia" as Coriakin put it). I’m okay with it!

• WilliamMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

I agree, I didn’t expect this, but it’s ok with me. I only wish I could see the foot. That’s the only thing that I’m worried about. I don’t really care how he looks, as long as the foot looks right and he looks non-human, I’m fine!

Hope some news about the trailer or at least a video of something. I’m desperate for spoilers! I was disappointed in the footage link. I was like, why can’t you give anything away?! Oh well, I’m an inpatient girl.

• Linden says:

Is anyone else reminded of the gatekeeper of the Emerald City on the Wizard of Oz? Maybe it’s just his expression…

• 7chronicles says:

He looks great! I can’t wait to see Ramandu and his Daughter in costume! "Keep it up Cheif, keep it up"

• thesithempire says:

Looks great!! Hope they keep this look. I’m glad they didn’t go too cartoony. The Dufflepuds are one of those races that the wrong filmmaker might try to make cute.

Amusingly, he reminds me of the Nomes from the Oz books.

I think you’re right…but on second thought I hope they’re at least a little bit cute. I mean, I don’t want them to be, as you said, cartoony, but in the book they were rather funny and cute, and I hope in the movie they aren’t…mean. I know they threatened to kill the Dawn Treader gang, but they weren’t really fierce. And this picture looks kind of fierce.
      But I’m sure it will be fine in the movie. Looking at the garden and the Chief Dufflepud’s hair, I bet they’ll be quirky, funny creatures that we’ll enjoy.
      Oooh, I can’t wait for the trailer!

• Anna's Sister says:

I like the word quirky over cute. I’m kind of hopping for the kind of humor that Trumkin had.

Do you mean the Trumpkin from the movie, or the Trumpkin from the book? Because the movie version was rather grumpy and dry-humored (if that’s the word), and the book version was more cheerful. I hope the Dufflepuds will be quirky (I like that word too! 🙂 ), energetic, and a bit thick-headed, like in the book. Otherwise they just won’t be the Dufflepuds I know and love!

• Malfhok says:

Wow! I like this a lot better than the goofy, bumbling Duffflepuds in the BBC version.

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

I agree with Malfhok that one looks SO much better than the ones in BBC. I like the beard and the hair sticking up on the top allot! I hope they are cute and funny too. Can’t wait to see other characters in costumes! And am DYING for the trailer! Long live Aslan and Sail on VDT! 😀

• Smooshy says:

In a way, who cares what the Dufflepud looks like, he’s going to be invisible most of the time! LOL What does he SOUND like?

Anyways, I love this photo! His hair and sticky-outy mustach are brilliant! Makes me laugh (in a good way)

wow that looks really cool! not how i pcitured it but its better! i love how they make them sort of old looking cuz i had always pictured them younger but i love this better.

• yeswelovenarnia says:

well I do have to admit I like the look. A bit rough but still good. I can’t wait until I can see footage of the dufflepuds!!

• Fluffernutter says:

From what they show, they look really cool!

• DTR says:

Not exactly what I expected either, but I’m not disappointed. And I do love the hair!

• Narniamiss says:

I think he looks like a maniac, but perfect! The hair is priceless.

• Narniamiss says:

I also like his costume. It kind of looks like he is wearing a cartigan.

• Danielmybrother says:

Can’t wait to see how they do his leg.

• RumbleBuffinTheStrong says:

Nice!!

• Eliseo says:

I have a feeling the Dufflepuds might not even have one foot.. there is always the possibility that they may just be a different race of regular dwarves (in the movie). I actually wouldnt have a problem with this.. just thought I would throw out another possibility.

• Watziznehm says:

I wouldn’t count on the picture to tell whether or not the Dufflepuds will had one leg. For one thing, you can’t see his legs and, for another, the single leg would be added digitally AFTER filming.

• ernesto says:

yo quiero ver el trailer de mago con lucky un cachito nada mas y ese personaje que pusieron sas bye

• Liberty Hoffman says:

awesome!!!!! I love his hair! I think that they will do half CGI: just his legs? maybe….. 😀

• narnia365 says:

The Dufflepud does look good. I wonder if they will be complete CGI though… I guess we’ll see. I hope it’s good animation!
    I am beginning to realize that a lot of this film is being filmed using green/blue screens. I hope that doesn’t take away from the film! I know Journey to the Center of the Earth was filmed using almost all green-screen, and honestly, it wasn’t amazing animation. Don’t get me wrong, I loved that movie, but some people didn’t like it because of the animation… I guess we will see.

• ~Lava~ says:

They are half/half, frankly green screen doesn’t bother me because the last two had just as much green screen. I like Chief’s look.

• TumnusTheBrave says:

he probably has one of those green or blue suits like fauns (such as mr.tumnus) and centaurs (such as glenstorm) have to wear

• Anna's Sister says:

I like how he looks kind of dwarfish and rough. This picture makes it look like only half of them will be CGI. I mean if only his face were going to be in the film they would have him in one of those blue body suites right?

• narnia fan 7 says:

Look’s good but I he look a bit old but stil awesome!!

• always narnian says:

wow. He looks sorta strange. Hahaha… his hair ! I think they’ll probably do half CG and half real. yeppers.

Oh, I just looked at the cast and crew for Dawn Treader, and I saw a lady named Mary Bradney-George who’s going to be a Dufflepud! So there will be girls! I wonder if she’s Clipsie…but she looks a bit old for that. Ah well, I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

• iLiveInNarnia says:

This costume reminds me of a troll. One of those grumpy trolls that live under a bridge. I don’t mind the look–just the troll thing.. kinda bugs me

• storygirl308 says:

Neat picture! I can’t wait to see how it will play out on screen.

• Peter the Magnificant says:

Yes yes this looks good Haha rock on Narnia 289 days 6 hours and 18 minutes

• NarniaNut95 says:

This looks interesting. Nothing like I imaged them. But it looks like it should work well.

From the news article: "…it may also be that Billings just wore this to interact with the actors on set and will eventually be replaced with a fully computer-generated character."

This I highly doubt because of all the work put into the costuming and makeup. They could easily have a little puppet be a stand-in. I imagine the Dufflepuds will be done exactly like Tumnus or the Centaurs.

• KingSkandartheJust says:

pretty cool but they’re a bit hairier than I had imagined in the book.

• Aravis Tarkheena says:

I like him the way he is!!! I hope they keep him! 🙂 His hair is AWESOME! Though I always pictured him part bald! 😛

• redeemedqueen says:

YOOHOO! PHOTOS…He looks awesome!!!

• GlimGlum says:

Duffers hop. Duffers rock. Go Chief Dufflepud! 😀
    Sail on VDT! 🙂

• HM Swanwhite says:

Noo! I missed out on seeing it!

• DancingPrincessCari says:

[b]At the bottom of this page, it says "1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry" Underneath is a link that says "Primeira foto do chefe dos tontópodes! | MundoNarnia.com – Seu portal para As Crônicas de Nárnia (C. S. Lewis)" click on it, and it will bring you to the picture![/b]

• lucy says:

poo, I didn’t get to see the pic before it was taken down…sigh…

• RuralNarniaFan says:

Now why didn’t I think to save the photo? xD

• Follower of Aslan says:

I know! I should have saved it while I had the chance. Does anyone have an idea when NWeb could put it back up? Maybe once a teaser comes out…

• Hope in the Lord says:

Oh man, I missed it Argh!!! Oh well least I have a bit of his discription from you guys. Can’t wait for Voyage YAHOO:D

• Lady Polly says:

heh heh the dufflepuds were very funny

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry