Narnia Super Trailer at the Biola Media Conference

Posted May 2, 2010 3:53 pm by Tirian

Micheal Flaherty, President of Walden Media

This weekend Micheal Flaherty was a featured speaker at the Biola Media Conference in Los Angelas, CA and he had the opportunity to present the super-trailer to the audience. From the descriptions that we’ve seen, it seems that this was the same trailer that I and others were shown in February. It’s likely that the many of the rough CGI patches have been cleaned up, but it’s probably not a trailer that will be publicly released until very close to the film’s release. (It may not be released at all and might just be shown on the DVD release.)

Kristi from The Lion’s Call has a full run-down of the footage, but be careful of spoilers as there are quite a few. She relates a funny story about Micheal Flaherty:

He [Micheal] and Biola host Phil Cooke apparently intended to prank us excited audience members who had been waiting all day for a sight of the first trailer. Last night, we were told, Flaherty’s son and daughter appeared in a play of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe at their school, and Flaherty meant to catch them on video and show that as the trailer instead, to give us a shock. Unfortunately, his camera’s battery died and he was forced to relate his brilliant plan instead of actually executing it.

(For the curious, his son played Aslan’s Army #6 and had one line: “Shh! She’s coming.” and his daughter played a unicorn∧ forgot her horn when she went onstage.)

Flaherty also related his experience upon first meeting Douglas Gresham, C.S. Lewis’ stepson, to discuss film rights for The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. When Doug asked him which illustration in the book was his favorite, Flaherty said it was the one of Aslan and the White Witch debating over the fate of Edmund. Doug asserted immediately that this was the worst picture in the series, and that the only person who hated it more than himself, was Jack (It is, from any perspective, a unique illustration. I believe it is the only one that depicts Aslan walking upright.). Flaherty jokingly stated that he (Flaherty) was removed from the proceedings thereafter.

Also of interest, NarniaFans points out a few tweets regarding the event including this one:

Another attendee, Wendy, tells us:

The Conference host made it quite clear that Fox had a presence there with infrared devices capable of catching anyone attempting to record the footage shown (either in still photographs, or video recording).  The footage had a “Biola Media Conference” stamp at the bottom of the screen.

And she finishes by writing:

Our overall first impression was extremely positive…if the little we saw is any indication, I think this will be the best movie of the three so far.  Dearheart and I both drove the two hours back home with silly geeky grins on our faces!

Thanks to everyone who sent in reports!

UPDATE: Here is another rundown of the footage shown. This was sent in by ‘subjectofthehighking’. Lots and lots of spoilers from this point on. You have been warned!

*The “trailer” starts with a sweeping view of a church with lion gargoyles, 20th century people exiting the doors below. Aslan’s voice speaks in the background about times changing.
*Edmund and Lucy in Eustace’s bedroom. Edmund asks Lucy if she has seen the ship in the picture before. Lucy smiles and says it’s very Narnian.
*Eustace, Edmund, and Lucy in Eustace’s bedroom, with water pouring out of the picture frame and filling the bedroom. They swim in the water and emerge at the surface with the Dawn Treader.
*Edmund and Lucy in Narnian clothes in Caspian’s cabin. Edmund wonders why they have been called to Narnia if there is no war or trouble.
*Lucy walks down the hall to the magician’s book. She opens it as Aslan’s voice speaks in the background. Snow falls as she gazes around in wonder. Another clip of the book includes Lucy looking on the page of the spell of beauty beyond the lot of mortals, and her image in the books morphs into an image of Susan.
*Coriaken unrolls a huge map, his voiceover telling them of the perils ahead. Apparently, the writers have combined some of the episodes in the book to create a goal to defeat the “darkness” that threatens Narnia. It seems that they have to land on the dark island and follow a “blue star” to Ramandu’s island.
*Footage of Gael and Lucy. Gael says to Lucy in a ship’s cabin, “When I grow up, I want to be just like you.” Lucy replies by putting her arm around Gael and saying, “When you grow up, I want you to be just like you.” Another scene includes Lucy comforting Gael as she misses her mother by telling her to trust in Aslan.
*Eustace sitting among some barrels, writing in his notebook. He asks an albatross on a barrel if he talks too, and a nearby minotaur laughs at him talking to animals.
*A dragon shadow swooping across a mountainside.
*Coriaken becoming visible again: a table of books begin to blur as his image moves, not blending in with his surroundings anymore.
*Reepicheep climbing a mast.
*Ramandu’s daughter emerging out of light. She welcomes the group to Aslan’s table.
*Lucy looking on a door that opens out of nowhere, with light beyond, presumably the door in the sky.
*Edmund, Eustance and Lucy on a beach with Aslan, presumably at the end of the world. Lucy asks if they will return. As more clips play, Aslan’s voiceover speaks the line of them knowing him by another name in their world.
*Coriaken with the crew of the DT. He throws some white stuff in Eustace’s direction and says something, maybe a spell. Lucy asks Coriaken what the white stuff was, and he replies, “Lint, but don’t tell him that.”
*The footage ends as other trailers have, the Narnia logo sweeping away, this time made of finished stone.

Thank you subjectofthehighking!!

• Wunderkind4HIM says:

So what about costumes??? What was Ramandu’s daughter wearing? What about Lucy? I want details!!
    So exciting!!!

• Doug says:

Does anyone know what big summer movies Fox has coming out that the VDT trailer would possibly be previewed in?

• lilims says:

Probably the Ramona and Beezus movie since its also by 20th century fox. Ramona and Beezus comes out July 23.

• MurtaghLuv says:

Knight and Day, Predators, and Ramona And Beezus, other than that I don’t know. after ramona the next movie comes is treader so that won’t work.

• I_LiVe_iN_NarNia:P says:

I’m glad they’ve put in the bit about them knowing Aslan by another name in their world :) That bit’s important i think. Sounding good!

• ibart9 says:

wow… not at all what i expecked
    MLG aka Gael is in trailer
    But the gen pub is not suposed 2 hav seen this, so we r not 2 sur wether this is what we wl see in the real tralr

• A CS Lewis fan says:

Coriaken says "lint but don’t tell him that" that doesn’t reflect his charicter in the book (sounds more like Eustace). In the book Prince Caspian, Peter the high king by the time he meets Caspian he is acting like a high king should, in the movie you see a spoiled little kid. Please respect CS Lewis by presenting his characters correctly.

• Tauriel says:

Oh, give it a rest! How can you judge a character based on one line from a trailer you haven’t even seen yet?

• always narnian says:

Because they have made all the Narnians so saracstic and childish. Look what they did with the last movie. If someone says "this looks like a cool movie" from a trailer surely someone can see a character changed from a trailer. =)

• Lucy says:

I understand that they changed a lot in PC, but that STILL doesn’t give us the right as fans to trash-talk a trailer WE HAVEN’T EVEN SEEN YET. If you want to bad-mouth it, wait at least until you’ve seen a clip first!

• wolfloversk says:

I’m not sure if I remember exactly, but wasn’t Coriken being punished for the story for something (that’s why he was no longer a star) so perhaps its not totally out of character.

• A CS Lewis fan says:

Thanks, always narnian; you are right they did make the Narnians sarcastic and childish; but I think that reflects the writers themselves being sarcastic in character.
        —- As for those who judge me for making an evaluation based on information — As you read the book and evaluate the interaction between Coriaken and Aslan you see dignity on both sides. I don’t need to see a trailer to know that people of dignity don’t throw lint at anybody much less the least at the table. The comment doesn’t fit either.
        One of the great things about the Lord of the Rings movies was that the characters were true to the book. I am a big C.S. Lewis fan and I would like this to be a great movie in the same way.

• chirpingbird says:

Not that your wrong, but you are making way too big an assumpation (sp.?) on FIVE SECONDS. I understand your worries, A CS Lewis Fan, but as they say, it seems your making a mountain of what may end up being a molehill.

• narniafan4ever ♥ says:

When I read that part, I thought that as a thing they did in order to kinda pull a prank on snobby Eustace. lol Just my opinion. ;)

• chirpingbird says:

A CS Lewis Fan and always narnian, for all we know, Eustace is sent to Coriakan as a dragon and only lint can make him a boy again….
      (It COULD work!)

• LOTRFREAK says:

corikan realy didn’t have any charitor.

• always narnian says:

……. sounds really changed

• always narnian says:

By the way awesome thought CS Lewis Fan . I totally agree

• Daéa Reina says:

I’m so excited about this movie, just can’t wait!
    The only thing that bothers me is MLG. I really don’t know what to think about her! And Drinian is bald, that’s a negative point for me.
    Greetings from Brazil! :)

• Laura Andrews says:

Well, finally some spoilers! I don’t mind spoilers for a story that I’ve read too many times to count. I don’t have very high hopes for the movie, but… I’m going to go see it anyways.

• TheScribblingScribe says:

No clips of Eustace as a dragon?

• SavedByGrace says:

Sounds great! I didn’t like the line where Coriaken says he put lint on Eustace…doesn’t sound very nice and magiacian/former star-like.

• Lucy says:

Well he was sort of under punishment from Aslan, the star/magicain, I mean, so maybe he got bitter over time and took it out on Eustace with the contexts of his dryer filter. LOL.

I think it’s meant to be a playful scene. I mean, I don’t KNOW, of course. It just sounds that way to me. :) I don’t think Coriakin is trying to be mean to Eustace, maybe just teasing him a bit. And even though he’s a star and magician, I always thought Coriakin was a rather playful person. Maybe it’s just the way he was portrayed in the BBC movie.
      Anyway, we won’t know anything for sure until we can see the actual scene and get the context and peoples’ expressions and tone of voice. ‘Cause just reading it is different from seeing and hearing it.

• Jana says:

I saw what sounds like the same trailer at the Calvin Festival of Faith and Writing, along with the Ramona and Beezus trailer. So it seems consistent.

• fantasia_kitty says:

Comments are now locked. Please continue the discussion on the forum! :)

3 Trackbacks / Pingbacks for this entry