Tilda Swinton and Ben Barnes Talk About VDT

Posted June 22, 2010 7:59 am by fantasia_kitty

After The Voyage of the Dawn Treader trailer release last week, both Tilda Swinton and Ben Barnes gave a brief mention of it in interviews. Tilda, who was interviewed about her upcoming movie I Am Love, had this to say when asked about her return as the White Witch.

You reprise your role as the White Witch in “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader,” the third film in the “Narnia” movie series. How long did it take you to film what you do in that movie?

Oh, you know I’m in it? Yes, it’s true.

I know you can’t give away any spoilers, but it’s not a secret that you’re in the movie since you’re shown in the movie’s trailer.

Well, I’m amazed that that they would put [my scene] in the trailer, because I spent less time filming it than I spent speaking to you [in this interview]. [NOTE: This interview was 23 minutes long.]

Meanwhile interviewer Andy Gibbons managed to bump into Ben Barnes on the street and Ben graciously agreed to a short interview about Dawn Treader right then and there.

With the trailer for The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader debuting this week the buzz has really started, it promises to be a big Christmas release….

Yeah, I hope it is. Personally I’m quite excited that it’s going to be 3D. It’s my favourite of the seven books, I think it’s one of the best stories and it’s got some good human characters as well – I think Eustace, who Will Poulter plays brilliantly, is a really funny character. It’s got a lot of the fun magical stuff of the first ones and I’ve got some fun action stuff which is cool. It’s going to be good I think.

You’ve got a new director in Michael Apted – what’s he brought to the movie?

Just a sort of an outside eye and a very human touch really. I think he was as anxious as any of us going in to it. When we first met and spoke he told me how anxious he was about the scale of it but I think he did a great job and I think it’s going to have an interesting flavour to it. Saying that I haven’t seen it yet.

Tilda’s interview can be read in full here. And Ben’s interview can be read in full here.

Thank you so much to everybody who sent these reports in!

• Trufflehunter says:

This sounds good… The magic of LWW, but with some action. As a movie, the action has to be there to draw people in. I can only imagine some other Narniawebbers cringing, but I think that if we want to see more Narnia movies, we’re going to have to accept these tiny added scenes, and make the best out of it, as the filmmakers are surely trying to make the best Nania film yet!

• wolfloversk says:

I’m not cringing! I agree 100%

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

i agree, today’s moviemakers have to target the vibe of the modern audience . if they produced something like the BBC versions today, it would be considered hopelessly draggy, wordy, and dated. No studio would release it. You’d probably have to produce it for english tv, ala Masterpiece theatre, where they are more true to the source novel than american movies.

• HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste says:

You are very right indeed, my friend. If the movies are only made to please us hardcore Narnia fans, we can certainly say goodbye to the rest of the series being adapted.

• Trufflehunter says:

Yeah, that’s exactly how I feel. We have to be acceptant towards changes, because without changes, and more eye-appealing shots, the series won’t attract any more attention, and as we’ve both stated, will crumble upon itself! 🙂 I don’t even think they put the White Witch in the teaser trailer because Tilda Swinton is and Oscar winner; I think it is more just because they want non-fans who have seen the first two movies, (who are not following this movie as close as we are), to know that another movie is coming out soon. It also may just be a friendly reminder that despite the Witch’s appearance in PC, we are still returning to the magic of the LWW (with which the White Witch is the main antagonist of!)

• elanor says:

Trufflehunter said: "Without changes, and more eye-appealing shots, the series won’t attract any more attention."

*sigh*

I think it is so sad that what is considered a ‘good’ movie is the movie with nonstop action, fighting and "eye-appealing" shots while a movie is considered ‘boring’ often because it has too much extensive character development and dialogue with little blood and gore.(Obviously this is not always everyone’s opinion, but with the majority of people today, it is. I mean, what movies make all the money?) Why can’t the two be combined? Is it so impossible? Why can’t you have a movie with interesting and intelligent dialogue, beautiful filming, and some action and suspense? Especially for a movie based on Narnia, which potentially all of those things!!!

• HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste says:

There is such a movie with almost equal amounts of character development and action, though I admit it is rare. I understand your distress, but it would only be foolish to deny reality, not everyone will appreciate the greatness of a good character development and a beautiful, breathtaking story, not everyone is really into the beauty that comes with literature like we are with Narnia, thus movies must be made to attract the general population, which generally consist of action-thirsty movie goers who’d rather watch and feel the sudden quick thrill of an action packed film then experience the wonder of a slowly, beautifully unwinding story.

Ahh, run on sentence. Sorry :/

• Bookwyrm says:

So basically modern movie-goers are ADD-ridden illiterates who’s limited attention spans can’t sustain interest in a movie that doesn’t have an explosion or fight scene every couple of minutes? Wow, no wonder Michael Bay makes so much money.

• Leolani says:

In my opinion, the books are exciting enough as they are. Think of ALL the adventures they had…. The victory on the Lone Islands, the storm, Eustace’s transformation into a dragon, the fight with the sea serpent, the dufflepuds, the magician’s house, the dark island… The wonders of the last sea – Oh everything! If they did them correctly (unlike the BCC version, which can’t really be blamed for their epic failure with the sea serpent scene, since they hardly had the technology to do better…. I think?) Well anyway, if they did these scenes correctly the movie would be Awesome. But adding new scenes is going to make it necessary to shorten or altogether cut out many of the scenes from the books. *sigh*

• Elf Maiden Archer of Rivendell says:

I agree, as long as they follow the MAIN plot, I don’t mind little changes (except for romance ones), and it has the spirit of the book, & it’s not corny.

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

So they filmed the Witch’s scene in less than half an hour? cool.

• princess_of_narnia says:

Hehe…I find it funny that even Tilda Swinton is surprised she’s in the trailer…

• Bother Eustace says:

Not really that much here, but cool to read anyway. I’m glad that Tilda indicates she didn’t film very much; although I kind of assumed as much anyway. Still, she also once said that she wasn’t in PC at all, so you never know… O_o

Ben Barnes seems excited! He mentioned some ‘fun action stuff’, let’s hope there’s not /too/ much of that. 😛

• CEP Paul T says:

"… anxious …" Can’t say I blame Mr Apted. $150 million USD is a fair piece of coin and a lot of resources to see brought together. Looks like it is going to be a great Christmas release.

• April says:

Agreed, it’s very understandable. Though I must say, bringing that bit about the budget up, do you think that they will be given a bigger budget (or even need one) for SC if this movie does as well – or better – than LWW? Wouldn’t that be ironic. Haha. Great interviews, they help to ease the little fears I had. But really, who just runs into Ben Barnes? Especially someone who reviews movies/movie news… Great luck, I’d say. =D.

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

Sounds cool. I already assumed the White Witch’s scene would be short. She probably appears near the Island of Dreams because she is the person that Edmund fears the most and that would be cool if he saw her in those mists. Can’t wait to see what the "fun action stuff" is that Ben Barnes mentioned! I’m so excited about this movie! I think it is going to be the best Narnia film yet! Long live Aslan and Sail on VDT!!!! 😀

• Leolani says:

Oh yes, that is a thought! I sure wouldn’t mind him seeing her there ^_^ Thanks for mentioning that, it has given me a little bit of hope! Of course, in the book, everyone HEARD something from their dreams, not SAW. But here is a place where a change may be necessary, since each person hearing something different would be hard to do on film and not be very exciting… If it showed them each seeing something different… ^_^ *hums hopefully*

• Anna's Sister says:

I like this idea! It makes alot of sense that he would see her there. Plus in the trailer Aslan says that they all are going to be tested and Edmund doesn’t get much of a test in the book except at Death Water Island.

• SavedByGrace says:

That’s what I’m thinking, too. It makes sense.

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

Considering that filmmakers usually get about a 1-2 minutes of usable footage in a day, that would make the White Witch’s scene about 15 seconds long. Who knows, maybe what you see in the trailer is the extent of her scene. That would be funny. 😉

Haha, that WOULD be funny if we got all worked up over just a few seconds of footage. I’m sure it won’t be so bad once we actually see it. But it still depends on where the scene is in the film, and how it effects the rest of it.

i find it funny how Tilda herself didnt even know she was in the trailer. she must not have seen it yet. Ben always says alot when he’s interviewed, doesnt he :-)? but i dont mind, cuz i like it when they tell us lots of stuff :-D. all the things he said, like fun magical stuff and fun action stuff, gets me excited. i cannot wait!

• true-narnian_queen says:

i know!! Ben is sooooooo amazing! i love the fact that he did not have a huge problem with him not being seen in the trailer alot that was sweet of him!! this makes me even more excited!!!!!

I like that Ben said the movie has fun magical and action stuff, but I’m hoping it has a little more depth than that…

But from what Douglas Gresham said about temptation and the themes of VDT, I’m not too worried. 🙂

• Nathan says:

Well, this just goes to show that the trailer was a marketing gimmick. We know that the dragon (Eustuce) will have more time on screen then the white witch, and yet they show her talking in the trailer, without even showing one frame of the dragon.

But then again, maybe Walden wants to surprise us, so maybe they requested that Fox purposefully not show certain things in the trailer.

Or maybe they’re just not satisfied with the special effects enough to show them.

Or maybe all three.

• narniafan#1 says:

Well trailers are supposed to be for marketing. I agree with one and two, but I think the special effects will be good, like LWW and PC.

• HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste says:

Lol yes, all three could be possibilities.

• TigerPole says:

Well, maybe, there are a lot of scenes with the (Eustace) dragon, and they just haven’t done all the *special effects* work on it yet..??

• Narnia nut2004 says:

I certainly hope there ARE lots of dragon scenes!!! There should be, with all the latest technologies in film-making these days! I can hardly wait till December!!! I totally loved the last movie; but then again, Ben Barnes is a total hunk. ‘Can’t wait for the movie to come out. I’ll be anxiously waiting and pondering on the actual scenes based on the book itself.

• narniafan#1 says:

Interesting tidbits from them… good to know that the White Witch’s screen time is kept at a minimum. I was concerned about that. Hmm… It’s so funny that people just "bump into" them! lol… wish I could do that!

• true-narnian_queen says:

i know!!!! i would freak if i bumped into Ben Barnes!!!!:D

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

i was thinking the same thing, how cool to bump into ben on the street! i’d flip!

• Leolani says:

I’d just say ‘excuse me’ and keep walking, haha.

• Elf Maiden Archer of Rivendell says:

Me too! I wish I could bump into actors & and actresses like that! Then I would be a little shocked at first, and then try to be polite & calm while you’re freaking out inside you’re head. 😉 Then if you told you’re friends that you saw so & so, oh, boy, they’re gonna be the ones flipping out!;D

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

I’m surprised that Tilda Swinton is suprised that she’s in the trailer. Teeheehee! And it looks like she’s only got a short scene.
    I wish I could just "bump into" Ben or any other Narnia actor or actress on the street! I wonder which street…
    But, seriously, if I did bump into them, what would I say? I’d probably just stand there and sputter, lol.

• ernesto says:

esta bien lo que dicen esos actores si y si etc.

• The Gatekeeper says:

Well, I’m glad the White Witch’s part is going to be short, at least. What I don’t understand is why she has to be in the movie at all. >:-(

• Braden Woodburn says:

Am I back on here now? Hope so. This is cool to know. Seems like Tilda Swinton only filmed the same about of time as she did in Prince Caspian. Very short and easy going. Either way I love her playing a bad villian as the bad White Witch. I REALLY REALLY hope when and if they film The Magicians Nephew that Tilda will play the White Witch again. She is amazing!

• HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste says:

This is good, now we can be sure that the White Witch will hardly be in it, no need to worry! They probably only stuck her in the trailer for commercial purposes.

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

Who’s Andy Gibbons? I know that I should know this, but apparently he lives down the street from Ben… wouldn’t that be weird. Living down the street from one of the Narnia actors/actresses. Wow.

• decarus says:

At least no one said the word epic. That’s always nice.

• Aslan's Meadow says:

Hate to burst your bubble, but several people have already called it epic, it’s even in the trailer……If I hear that word one more time…..

• elanor says:

That’s funny. I get tired of the overuse of that word too.
      But actually…I looked it up. I think it does apply to Narnia 🙂 :
      "1. a long narraitve poem that tells the adventures and achievements of one or more great heroes, written in a dignified, majestic style, and often giving expression to the ideals of a nation or race."

• adamie says:

The Tilda Swinton thing sort of proves she’s just in their for advertising purpose. If they would have added the WW for any different reason, they’d make it a bigger change from the books, which would mean she had more shooting time.

Yet, it’s good she only has a brief appearance.

• JadistarkilleR says:

i know some of the Narnia fans will want to burn me at the stake for what i’m about to say, but i dont care:

cast Tilda Swinton as LOTGK. at least we’re assured to have a high caliber actress in the bag.

it will go along with the concept of the White Witch in the whole Narnia franchise anyway– she too goes by many names, in the Narnia universe alone she’s known as the White Witch and Jadis, why not add LOTGK as well? not quite sure if she shoud be Tash also though, i’ll leave that to the make-up/wardrobe and creatures department how to pull that off.

• Aslan's Meadow says:

You are right JadistarkilleR…..GET SOME WOOD AND A TORCH!!!!!
      lol.

• JadistarkilleR says:

i forgot to say, the last time the greater majority burned anyone for adhering to their own beliefs, that person turned into a saint and forced the Catholic Church to issue an apology and a retraction. 😉

• Sammie says:

I am certainly, certainly with you that we want a high caliber actress. I don’t want a Nickelodeon version of "Narnia" but one with the very best.

Still, if I may beg to differ with you, I begin to believe "Narnia" can attract another British actress of Swinton caliber. I was frankly astonished that "LWW" – with four child actors as leads – attracted James McAvoy, Ray Winstone, Dawn French, Tilda Swinton, Liam Neeson, Jim Broadbent, and others in SIDE roles. I thought they’d abandon the roles by "PC" and again was wrong. Reepicheep alone has attracted Eddie Izzard, Bill Nighy, and Simon Pegg. Michael Apted – Michael Apted! – is directing "VDT". These men and women were highly decorated before and after their "Narnia" roles. I don’t know what it is, but "Narnia" clearly attracts some of the best of the UK acting establishment, and I’m sure it can do it again with a decorated actress who’ll be a fantastic LGK.

Of course Swinton would be excellent; as you said, she is a high caliber actress. My only problem with casting Swinton is that there will be scores of people who think WW and LGK are the same person "just because it was in the movie". Cross-reference Susaspian. 🙁

• JadistarkilleR says:

the thing is Sammie, *i* took it as LOTGK and WW/Jadis to be the same spirit, if not necessarily the same form. and i read the books solo, no outside influences, no cliffnotes, no forums, no fellow fans, nothing, not even Lewis’ later writings about it. i learned about all of that afterwards. and i go back to reading the stories, and i understand everybody else’s interpretation, but i can still see how i arrived at my own interpretation. if i as a book reader can come up with a different interpretation from other book readers, how much more an assembly of artists who has their own take on things? see what i mean?

• narniafan#1 says:

I read the whole series twice w/ no outside influence as well. I never saw the White Witch, the Lady of the Green Kirtle, or Tash as the same person. Certainly, they all shared the same evil nature and hatred of the books’ heroes and heroines, but that is where the similarities end. I would be quite upset if Tilda played LGK and/or Tash simply b/c she’s "high caliber." Don’t get me wrong, she’s been fantastic in her current role, but I think LGK and Tash are two separate characters all together and deserve separate actors/actresses to bring out their individual uniqueness. Too bad C.S.Lewis isn’t here to help with the movies- they would be truly spectacular then! 😉

• coracle says:

Let me make this clear once and for all.
      LOTGK is a different person from Jadis. Lewis indicated this, the Estate says so, and Lewis scholars all say so.

Tilda is not going to be cast in this role.
      The part calls for a young, pretty woman, not a mature striking handsome and slightly scary woman in her 40s!

It is this sort of comment and dogged refusal to listen to reason that caused this topic to be banned from Narniaweb for about five years.

No matter how much you think Tilda would look like a pretty 20-year-old girl, she will not be cast as the LOTGK. She is Jadis and only Jadis.

• JadistarkilleR says:

narrowmindedness goes both ways you know.

i’m aware of what Lewis and his estate and the scholars said about LOTGK. but i only discovered that WAY AFTER i finished reading all 7 books. unlike many Narnia fans, i have never seen any other audio or live action iteration of the Chronicles of Narnia other than the current films. so you can say that my interpretation of the story is as undilluted as it could possibly be for a book reader. my interpretation of the Narnia tales came from me and me alone. Reading the books i took it that LOTGK was some kind of Jadis/ WW reincarnate, THE malevolent spirit that keeps returning to the world in various forms, which of course follows the Christian allegory (that word again) of Lucifer never giving up on tempting Christ and his followers (to this day).

so i ask you, is my interpretation wrong simply because i understood the story one way and not the way other book readers– or the author– understood/ relayed it? the author tells the tale, it is up to the reader what he/she takes from it, isnt that the golden rule of storytelling?

oh btw, Jadis/WW called for a brunette gigantess of otherworldly beauty. if they went strictly on book description, Tilda Swinton and most of the Narnia actors wouldnt be anywhere near this franchise. something to think about.

• Bookwyrm says:

When the author, the books, and the estate all makes it clear that two characters are not the same person, then yes, your opinion is wrong. And WW=Tash? Seriously? o_O

• Not Of This World says:

Can’t wait

• Peepicheep says:

How I wish it was a video interview and not just words of one.

You would know who talking and which of them is answering a question and which one is just listening.

That’s what I think it should of been done.

Thank you so much for posting it anyhow. I know I don’t sound happy with it.

But I being a critical person right now.

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

Well if you bump into someone on the street you may not have time to pull out all your camera equipment. 😉

• Anna's Sister says:

Nice to know that the WW scene won’t be long. I don’t really mind that she’s there. Too small a thing to freak out about.

• wind_eagle says:

What I’M freaking about, is the fourth HUMAN figure that is on the rowboat while they’re going to the end of the world, that has a hairdo that suspiciously looks a lot like Ben’s!!!!! *sigh* Sadly, I can’t tell who it is cause you can’t see his (or her??) face. I soooo hope that Caspian stays on the boat where he belongs, and doesn’t go along riding rowboats to the end of the world. Other than that, I can’t wait to see the movie.

• Lutra's Pearl says:

My thought was that Caspian was with them just to row the boat back or something like that. I don’t think they would ever have him go to the end of the world with them. Keep the story of Aslan alive.

• Luis Daniel says:

omg i cant wait more!!!!!!!!!!!! Ben told that has fun action and magical stuff but that is a movie of characters!!!! ok narnia fans that means that every thing that u wanted in this film is in it so dont talk bad of narnia anymore. Im so happy that this movie is coming soon!!!!!! yes!!!!!. I dont care about the changes, movies need changes so that ppl can get into the movie!!!!!!!! so i can not wait anymore so lets pray so the days can go fast to see the movie premiere!!! wohoooooo, im a hudge narnia fan allot of time ago!!! i read the books and love the movies 2!!!!! so grab ur popcorn dec 10 and see the movie in theaters!!

• ArwinUndomiel says:

Hmmm, if she’s not in the moive very much…NO!! I still don’t like it. Not ONCE in the entire VDT book is there a mention of the White Witch.
    at least, I’m pretty sure. Surely I haven’t been missing it all these years of rereading!!???!!!

She’s mentioned on Ramandu’s Island when they see her knife on the table. But she’s not mentioned on the Dark Island. Still, since I was influenced by the Focus on the Family Radio Theater dramatization of the book, I can picture her being a nightmare on the Dark Island quite easily.

• DragonGirl28 says:

Nice to know that Jadis won’t be in VDT very long. That’s a relief, at least…

• Sammie says:

I don’t mind Swinton in this one, especially if her appearance is short. It’s nice continuity and it gives great insight into Edmund.

Edmund himself mentions his "LWW" betrayal in "HAHB" and "VDT"; he has never forgotten. Like Eustace changes after being dragon-ed, Edmund changes after his betrayal. The WW symbolizes all he was before he was rescued by Aslan; the WW was, for Ed, both the destruction of Narnia and the destruction of his own person, in ways which will be more horrifying to him than to any other. Her inclusion enhances the horror of the Dream Island for Ed from nightmares to NIGHTMARES.

• Fire Fairy says:

Right on! That’s the very reason why I’m not too worried about the WW being in VDT, because if I were Edmund, I would probably have nightmares about the WW as well. And to me, her temptation just sounds like an echo of her promise to him in LWW–of making him her king. Surely Edmund would remember that promise and of how that promise almost led to his destruction. He fell for it before, and I’m sure he’s afraid of falling for it again.

• Fiona says:

Interesting really, I didn’t know Tilda Swinton was in it.

• Elf Maiden Archer of Rivendell says:

Woohoo! I now got an avatar on my comment box! (thanks to Tirian, & gravatar.com)

• andy says:

Curious to me is how they continue to re-insert the White Witch into the series, however short the cameos. As a storyteller, that’s tension you’re building up there, which may create a lot of expectation for her actual return to Narnia. Although of course her younger self is in Magician’s Nephew, will they treat her as a Voldemort, as the true threat which will someday return? and swap out other villains (Green Kirtle, Tash) in the series for her? I am hoping not, but more so I hope they’re conscious of the effect all these cameos have.

• Not Of This World says:

They wont do that. They will just have her play the Lady of Green Kirtle and Tash 🙂 Im suprised they didn’t have her play miraz 😉

• Timo says:

A thirth narnia movie? 😮 jeez, where have I been..

• FBI agent trinity-hawkeye291 says:

you are kidding me? that does sort make scenes a lot! i have been watching the two films and cant wait for the third film

• QueenLucy12 says:

Lets just hope she doesnt appear somehow in HHB!
    If only the actors moved where I live, i would really filp out!

• Elf Maiden Archer of Rivendell says:

Yeah, every time I visit LA, California, I am like "pleas oh please let me or my cousins bump into a celebrity, please oh please! Though once I got my picture taken with a 3 star Michelin chef… 😉

• CoriaKing says:

Haha, I actually drove past Jay Leno on the highway in LA. It was pretty awesome. But he didn’t wave back to me when I said hey. 🙁

• son of adam says:

I want to hear what Andrew Adamson would say, as he is one of the producer of VDT.

• son of adam says:

Below is an artcle from other page.

"Voyage of the Dawn Treader Trailer (and Some Thoughts on the Narnia Series) "

Technically this arrived about 10 days ago, and I myself watched it a week ago, but clearly I’m not here to premiere trailers. No, I am here to discuss movies. Based on the 3rd Chronicles of Narnia book (and yes, in the original publishing order, it was the third book but more on that later), Voyage of the Dawn Treader picks up shortly after the events of Prince Caspian where the two younger Pevensie children (alone with their cousin, Eustace) are once again whisked off to the land of Narnia in order to help during a time of great need.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader marks some switch ups in the Narnia movie series. This is the first film to not be produced by Disney and to not be directed by Andrew Adamson. Why did Disney leave? Well, though Prince Caspian made near double its budget at the box office, it made about half as much as The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Disney wanted to cut the budget of the third movie down to less than half of Caspian. Disagreements were had, Disney left, and we have a movie being produced by Fox.

Initial thoughts: am I the only one who thinks this movie looks cheaper (and a bit cheesier) than the previous two films? I realize the budget is probably a bit less than the previous, but to me its more than just the quality of the effects. I can’t quite put my finger on it. Maybe its the set pieces that look a little too unrealistic. Also, it just seems a bit dull for a trailer. I’ve seen many a boring movie that have had really exciting trailers. I can’t say I’ve seen a whole lot of exciting movies that had boring trailers.

Its been made known that some people had a problem with Prince Caspian’s "darker nature". I didn’t; I thought it made the movie stronger and helped contrast the difference between our world and Narnia. The main characters may be just children in the real world, but in Narnia they are much more (and people shouldn’t forget that the Pevensies have lived to be adults and back to children). I realize a sizable chunk of the audience is children, but these books have been around since the 40’s so much of the audience is older. I’m simply hoping this movie doesn’t become too "kiddie". If only everyone could balance a movie for all ages like Pixar .

I’ll be honest, I don’t remember the story of The Dawn Treader that well (its been years since I read it), but I do very clearly remember the Silver Chair and The Last Battle, and let me say, dark and scary things aren’t going to be avoidable without compromising the stories and themes of those books. I would imagine if this movie does well, those two books will be adapted. What I’m not so sure on is whether or not they will adapt the Magician’s Nephew and The Horse and His Boy. I’m fairly amazed by all the comments on youtube of people saying they clearly aren’t going to do all the books since they skipped the first and the third books (then again, I shouldn’t ever be surprised by stupid comments made on youtube).

You see folks, the Narnia series was published for a while in the order the books originally came out. This would be why the Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe is the most popular of the books: because it was the first of the series. Also, if you go and actually read the books, you should be able to notice that Wardrobe is written in an introductory style whereas The Magician’s Nephew is written to a reader who is familiar with the Narnia series. As for the current arrangement being a "chronological order" that isn’t exactly true. The Horse and His Boy actually takes place during the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, not after. When set as the third book of the series, all it does is interrupt the transition to Prince Caspian which is a direct continuation of Wardrobe (so why they thought was a good idea is completely beyond me).

Regardless, both The Magician’s Nephew and The Horse and His Boy are side-stories so they aren’t guaranteed to be adapted. However, The Magician’s Nephew does fill in a lot of information about the series (as opposed to ruin a lot of surprises when its placed first in the series), so it would be nice to see it made. Its story would also work very well as a movie with its dimension hoping and world seeing. As for The Horse and His Boy, how could you do every book but one? You can’t. So if they are going to make the rest of the books, they might as well make The Horse and His Boy (but if they don’t, I suppose I wouldn’t lose sleep over it).

As with all trailers, we are left to wait and see. Despite my doubts, I will most certainly be seeing this movie right away. I grew up on the Narnia books and have enjoyed the movies thus far. Also, there is one thing that keeps my faith ever strong, and that is the Harry Potter movie franchise. Let me explain. It was in the third Potter film that the series found its own identity on screen and become dependent from the books it was based off. The Narnia series has been decent on screen but has struggled to truly find its identity (instead kind of cradling a Lord of the Rings vibe with a bit of the first two Potter films). Like Narnia, the third Potter filmed marked a director switch from the previous two. Maybe a little new blood is all the series needs to find its feet and become not just an adaption of a book series, but a good movie franchise in its own right.

• Alva says:

lOOK THE MOVIE DOES NOT HAVE NOTHING OF HARRYPOTTER OR LORD OF THE RING ONLY THE CREATERS LOOK ALIKE BUT REALLY IF YOU PUT ATTENTION ON THE BOOKS THEY HAVE CHRISTIAN MEANINGS LIKE THE LION THE WITCH AND THE WORDROB ASLAN DIES FOR EDMUND JUST LIKE Jesus Christ DIE FOR US. 🙂

• gingergirlie says:

okay, i really like Andrew Adamson as the director. i wonder if the change will affect the quality of the movie? :/ hopefully not.

• loverforben says:

I think the movie sounds really good! I am only puzzled about one thing. Why is Tilda Swinton in the movie as the White Witch, when the white witch is not even in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader?

• Jewel says:

I agree completely with elanor and Bookwyrm. Also, I see no reason why the readers should ALWAYS have to be the ones to give up what’s important to them. There is enough in this series to captivate anyone with half a brain, no changes needed. So just for once, can’t the ADD/gore-obessed crowd be "realistic" and put up with some character development, elevated vocabulary and an actual plot? Surely it’s their turn to compromise. I wish the filmakers were intelligent enough to try such a gamble and watch the box office receipts explode (because they would).

• wannawork4Weta says:

Yesterday I asked my 7 year old son what his favorite book was, and he said "I don’t know…". I said "What about The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis?" He said "No, I liked the movie better." I completely understood, I adored it too. I’m just saying.

• Alva says:

Are they not going to make the 4th movie? I think it would be cool to se the last two books be made into a movie.

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry