First Look: Deathwater and Dragon

Posted September 29, 2010 9:33 pm by Glumpuddle

Earlier today, Narnia.com was updated to include Goldwater (but has now been removed). It included a picture that gives us our first look at a dragon, and the water that turns objects into gold:

Click to view larger

(Download Full Size Image)

Is that DragonEustace? Or just a dragon? Either way, this picture strongly implies what many fans already suspected: Eustace becomes a dragon and Deathwater is discovered on the same island. Last December, when asked if all the islands in the book would be in the film, Ernie Malik (publicist) replied: “We consolidated seven islands into five.”

There was also a bit that confirms one of the seven lords will be found in the water (Restimar, in the book): “There is much to catch the eye on this island but even an innocuous pool of water can be dangerous… As this lost lord tragically discovered.” (Thanks to NarniaFans for posting this)

Here is Lewis’ description of Deathwater from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, chapter 8:

They came down and round to the little opening where the stream came out of the lake, and stood looking at the deep water within the circle of cliffs. If it had been a hot day, no doubt some would have been tempted to bathe and everyone would have had a drink. […]
The bottom of the pool was made of large greyish-blue stones and the water was perfectly clear, and on the bottom lay a life-size figure of a man, made apparently of gold.

The production designer for the film is Barry Robinson

Discuss!

• decarus says:

This is a great photo. The body in the water. Dragon Eustace. Very nice photo shopped. We got a little bit of everything.

• John Freeman says:

so cool!!

• EnnaGirl says:

The island is UNLOCKED!! As of the 4th of October, you can get on the island if you enter in the URL. You couldn’t disembark yet, when when I was on the magician’s island, I subsututed goldwater in the URL and was able to get on.

Deathwater looks freaking cool!
    Even better than what I imagined.

• Reepicheep says:

It does, but They put the two islands together.

• Not Of This World says:

So if Deathwater and Dragon Islands are the same, whats the Islands name?

• checkers says:

Uhhh….Death Dragon Water Island? πŸ˜› But yeah, this looks FANTASTIC. And Eustace Dragon looks awesome. πŸ˜€

• icarus says:

The name of the combined island in the movie is "Goldwater", which is the original name given to Deathwater in the book before Reepicheep suggests they call it Deathwater instead.

• Puddleglum says:

Has anyone else noticed someone missing?

Where is Reepacheep?

• Shastafan says:

Yeah, where is Reepicheep? We haven’t seen his picture on Magician’s Island or Narrowhaven! Hopefully, we’ll see him on some of those islands in the movie!:)

• checkers says:

It’s just a promo shot, ya’ll. He’s more than likely going to be there. πŸ™‚ Course now that they’re bringing the WW, who KNOWS what’s gonna happen…ugh.

• Aslan's Meadow says:

If glumPuddle likes it, it’s gotta be good!
      I personally loved it! And would have liked Dragon in the title…but oh well.
      I love Caspian’s expresion.

• Grant Wilson says:

hey glumpuddle it looks like the same treasure from the clip we saw of Eustace maybe its the same place. just wonder-in’

• midnightmoon says:

Dearest Glumpuddle,I know this is totally unrelated but, did you know that Ben (Prince Caspian) Barnes is currently staring in a play called Birdsong? Just thought you might wanna know. :^)

• Queen Susan the Gentle says:

THIS IS SO COOL! I CAN’T WAIT FOR DECEMBER! AHHHH!

• Queen Susan the Gentle says:

So do you think this is like a, what-cha-macal-it, a compound? I hope they didn’t combine Deathwater, or Goldwater, and Dragon Island!

• Fire Fairy says:

Most of what have learned so far has confirmed that Dragon Island and Deathwater are now the same.

• McGunn says:

I think it’s a good idea linking the two islands – they both deal with the temptation for greed. The dragon island where there is a treasure which lures people into a bewitched cave, and deathwater with water that can turn things to gold.

It’s not necessary having to different islands portraying the same thing.

• Son of Rillian says:

This is AWSOME, i love it, i how dragon island and deathwater island can be the same.

• Kristena Hill says:

So excited!!

• Fire Fairy says:

Wow, I almost started crying when I saw this photo, it looks so beautiful!! The dragon looks AMAZING!! Better than I imagined! I can’t wait to see more shots of Dragon Eustace…more especially, this makes me even more excited for and confident about the movie!!

• Eustace+Jill says:

I’m so happy we finally get to see a picture of Dragon Eustace (assuming it is Dragon Eustace)! I had wondered what color the filmmakers would make him, and I think the one they picked looks pretty good. πŸ˜€

Is it just me, or does the CGI of the dragon look unfinished?

• Warrior 4 Jesus says:

The photo is obviously several photos blended together. Lucy looks like she doesn’t belong and Edmund certainly doesn’t. The dragon looks a bit dodgy. But Caspian and the Deathwater cave look amazing!

• icarus says:

The Deathwater Pool is my absolute favourite location from the entire series and they could not have done a better job on bringing it to life! It just looks fantastic! I’m still not overly thrilled by the fact that they have combined Deathwater and Dragon Island into "Goldwater", but everything we’ve seen of this new combination island so far just looks absolutely amazing. Perhaps it may not be such a bad thing after all.

One other little thing i really like in this image, is the inclusion of the PC-era Telmarine Shield sitting in the water having turned been to gold. Its a nice little touch, and provides a interesting link back to the design style of the last film. For me, its the tiny details like that which really help sell the idea of Narnia as a real world – the small details which hint at a much greater life and history going on in the background.

• Movie Aristotle says:

Wow. Amazing. I love it.

• Warrior 4 Jesus says:

Your what?
    That should be ‘you’re’. Well done.

• Narnian_Archer says:

The poster is awesome…although I’m not too happy they’re mixing Deathwater and Dragon Island…oh, well…

• Sirsimon says:

hey now don’t moan, its a good idea, lets put it this way, the island represents greed, one part of the island is desire for gold and another is the desire for posessions.

Though the film will be over two hours long like the other LWW and PC, it would drag a bit if they did dragon island and then onto deathwater, not to mention taxing on creativity. There will be five islands, but they merged deathwater and dragon island.

It will be very true to the novel, but like all films, they had to change a few things.

Though one thing I’m shocked about is that we may not see Eustace see on the pile of gold and witness his transformation.

• Pepper Darcy says:

wonderful! Looks so epic! So glad to see this! πŸ˜€ The dragon looks great πŸ˜€

• always narnian says:

Hey Pep! O are you so sure about the dragon? I think the CGI quality has gone down since the first movie… =(

• TumnusTheBrave says:

i like eustace in the backround but where is reepicheep in that scene

I’m so happy with this picture!!

There’s going to be a cave and not just a riverbed. YES!!!

There’s a gold statue/body in the pool. YES!!! (Even though it’s really sad the lord died)

Dragon Eustace looks great and he’s dull-colored like in the book. YES!!!!!!! (I like dragons πŸ˜› )

Anyway, even if I’m going to miss the lush forest on Dragon Island from the book, I think everything looks great! πŸ˜€

• Lucille Brown says:

I like the cave. But I wanted a green dragon.

• Sirsimon says:

I don’t think that Eustace, He’s green in the film just so you know, it could be just a dragon to represent dragon island.
      But even if it is Eustace, its being true to the novel

• Trufflehunter says:

How do you know that dragon Eustace is green in the film?

• Sirsimon says:

because the toy to promote voyage in MD’s shows Eustace green and I have read a version of the book with coloured images, he is green, if not a bit of a dull green

• icarus says:

That toy concept art was a really early concept design and was based on limited information from the movie. Along with the other toy designs we saw, which were heavily influenced by PC-era designs for the characters and had a lot of the artists own interpretation in them, it has little bearing on the dragon design we will see in the movie.

• silent warrior Trinity-hawkeye291 says:

NO! DON’T DELETE! i like this picture! a lot! cause it is Narnia 3 aka the voyage of the dawn treader! sorry if i was being exited!

• Narniadreamer says:

Yay! I cannot wait for December!

• americangirlemmie says:

I don’t mind at all about the deathwater/goldwater and dragon island being combined… Its no a big deal.

its beautiful! i cant wait to see this island on film!

• Cymrugirl says:

NICE!!! The dragon looks amazing! The gold statue underwater – everything. What a treat!! *sets as desktop*

• Meggie1996 says:

One question. What is Ed doing. It looks like he is trying to climb into the water.(?) Anyway, I like to gold look on everything; it gives it like a magical look. Really cool!

• QueenLucytheValient says:

I don’t really like this it isn’t how I imagined goldwater at all! I thouh it was like in a woodsy clearing with tons of grass and stuff oh well. I imagined the dragon’s cave the same way. I hope that they actually have a pond near the cave like in the books.

• Shastafan says:

All I can say is WOW! Goldwater looks fantastic! I like seeing the Pevensies and Caspian peering into the water, along with the statue in the water and piles of gold. This just makes this island have this creepy feeling. And I like the dragon, and although I thought It’d be green, the copper-brown color works well. Can’t wait for this island to officially come out! πŸ˜€

• checkers says:

Haha. πŸ˜› Somebody on Narnia.com put it up and then realized it’s not October yet. πŸ˜‰ Just kidding, just kidding….but seriously, a GORGEOUS photo. I am so loving Dragon Eustace right now it’s not even funny. πŸ˜€

• Milady of Narnia says:

Wow!! πŸ™‚

• FrecklefaceJill says:

I. LOVE. THAT. PHOTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFJ

• TheScribblingScribe says:

Ed looks quite out of place in this picture, but otherwise it’s is fantastic!

• SnowingRoses says:

Stunning. Absoltely stunning- I will never lose respect for the people who design the narnia sets. It better look this beautiful in the movie!

• EnnaGirl says:

The pic looks kind of like a painting rather than a photo which makes it look very otherworldly. The fan part of me is very upset that Death Water and Dragon Island are the same and that they don’t look very much like the descriptions in the book; the director part of me is going, "Well, I would have done that too." It makes sense from the movie point of view to make the two islands at one as dragons and gold are very much linked in the story. And by making the island a desert island is probably because we’ll be seeing a lot of lush, green islands. They are probably trying to make the islands look very different from eachother so that the fans who aren’t quite as radical can remember which island is which.

• twinimage says:

This is probably the best possible way of consolidating the islands down to 5 islands. The dragon looks cool, about just what I’d imagined. Could that possibly be the cave Eustace sleeps in and becomes a dragon?

• Sirsimon says:

If I am correct, then we may not be seeing Eustace sleeping, because when I saw Eustace snatching the gold, he was a dragon seconds later, unless a gap of ten minutes appeared between the scenes.

The reason that this island is a desert is because the others will be either covered in forest, shadow and forest.

For example, dragon island will be desert,
      the dark island will be shadowy and stormy, while another will be forest and lush, while another will be snowy,
      essentially, I’ve just told you the climates of the five islands.

• Sirsimon says:

Hey guys, I’ve been thinking and this is serious now.

From the trailers and pictures, this film will be spectacular and I thank the ones whom made it.

But we all need to act as fans, it is up to us in that this film becomes popular and a success in the box office, even though I enjoyed Caspian, its clear only numbers and sales matter today.

So tell your family and friends to see this film, lets make this film more successful than Lion, witch and the wardrobe because this film will determine the future of the series, if its fails, then the series will be cancelled, and I for one, wants the complete series sitting next to my books, shiny and just as beautiful as the novels.

Who’s with me?

• narniafan#1 says:

Yeah! I want to throw a "Narnia Party" on December 9, watching LWW and PC of course, before hitting the theatre on opening day and watching VDT. Imagine if everyone did this with 10 friends… well, I can dream can’t I?

• Sirsimon says:

Sounds great, I’m gonna watch it with seven other friends on 19th dec, which is the day I come back from uni for the holidays

• Lucy says:

Me! Me! I’m with you! I LOVE narnia. and I really want to see a horse and his boy movie, like really bad.

• QueenLucy12 says:

Oh I soooo am! Im going to go see it with my five Best friends and the rest of my family to see it which is ten people! in 3D. so I think that should help alot! I want to have my favorite book series into movies. and see them eveyday in my room on my desk right next to my narnia books!
      Now who wouldn’t want that?

Oh, I sooooo want to have the whole series as movies!! It would be beyond cool to have them all in a row like the books! I don’t know how realistic that is at the moment, but we can do our part to make it happen. Just hope the stories aren’t ruined too much in the translation. Can’t wait for Dawn Treader, though! πŸ™‚

• narniafan#1 says:

It’s a great picture! Brilliantly done! But,hmm… is anybody else wondering what’s up with the reflection in the pool? It doesn’t quite match-up with what’s on the pool bank, but I can’t make out if there’s something in it. Wish I could get a look at the pic upside-down. *hint hint*

AWESOME PIC!!!!!!!! love EVERYTHING about it!!!! i especially love caspian looking into the water…

• LucyP0104 says:

Oh my goodness, LOVE THIS!

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

Well…yeah, the consolidation kind of makes sense. I mean, they weren’t exactly on Deathwater Island for very long…

• Sirsimon says:

Though a dragon is in the background, we can’t be sure its Eustace until he have an offical image

• Sirsimon says:

I know this sounds strange, but I have always found Narnia much better than Harry Potter, Narnia is much more magical than harry potter, which is more a dark fantasy rather than a magical adventure

• Waleed Sajjad Khan says:

I β™₯ it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

Deathwater/ Dragon Island looks cool! I didn’t like the idea at first of combining islands, but now I think it looks awesome!

• narnianheart says:

that loosk way cool. And really pretty. =D

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

Wow! Deathwater looks awesome! The combination of the two islands makes sense to me. Maybe Eustace slept in the cave! That would neat. πŸ˜€ I wonder if that dragon is Eustace! I hope it is! I haven’t seen a dragon in a movie since Eragon! I’m soooo excited! Long live Aslan and sail on VDT!!! πŸ˜€

• Lady Aurora says:

This picture is soooo great! It really makes me wish that I could live in Narnia! πŸ˜€

• Puddleglum says:

I have looked as closely as possible.

Can anyone see Reepacheep in this picture?

• Omac the centaur says:

no… he could be with DragonEustace in the back. (btw puddleglum were have ya been?)

• Puddleglum says:

Sorry my friend. I have been rather distracted on the Forum.
        Also had some other non-Narnian matters to prepair, and deal with. To save space, check out The spar-om under camping.
        Do not worry. I will still have fresh eels, and stew ready should you stop by.

• Puddleglum says:

I must admit though that my cooking has suffered of late. Trying to find the right greens this time of year is not easy, and the eels are a little thin. But I suppose I shall simply have to make do, and hope you are not too dissapiointed.

• Omac the centaur says:

worry not. fat eels or thin it’ll be a good meal. perhaps i can gather up some greens for you on this side of the woods…

• Puddleglum says:

Can you find some nettles? They are already turning around the marsh, and the tast is rather bland. But I suppose it’s just being in the marsh. Wouldn’t be suprised if the woodland variaty are tastier.
        I see several of the folk talking about having a "Narnian Party". Sounds like a lot of gaiety, with games, and such. Wouldn’t know of things like that of course, but it would be quite a way to encourage others to attend the film. "Get the word out", so to speak.

• Omac the centaur says:

just tell some squirrels and such(for both needles and parties), big talkers. I have been spreading the word quite often tho. oh btw have you ever seen a talking eel?

• Puddleglum says:

Cannot say i have seen any talking eels.
        Have caught a fish that barked like a dog. Told they were good eating, but couldn’t see myself trying.
        Have tried conversing with squirrels, but just could not keep up with them.

• Puddleglum says:

Oh by the way, it was nettles, not needles. Though if you want both make a good tea.
        The burning nettles you need to catch before they turn, that is dry, else the juice is gone. But you must steep them twice to keep from being burned.
        Pine needles also work, but not so familiar with them. They do not grow around the marshes much.
        As for the paries. I imagin the younger folk will want more of this "pop", or "soda" I hear about. Sounds far too full of sugar to be any good.

• McGunn says:

Hahaha! I just love reading your comments below – they’re so funny! Btw why can’t I reply to them? Just curious…

Talking eel – lol

• Puddleglum says:

McGunn.
      Does this help? I’m not real good at this modern stuff. Maybe check with one of the moderatores.
      By the way (BTW?) Thanks for the comments. I’m not so sure the other Marsh-Wiggles would appreciate humore. I am told that I do not take anything as seriosly as I should.

• Omac the centaur says:

glad you enjoyed them. πŸ™‚ lol Puddleglum, are there any other marsh wiggles on narniaweb? i doubt they would mind. πŸ˜‰ oh and McGunn, i think you’ll just have to put them @ the end… you can always say ‘@ "number" comment’. if that makes since. πŸ˜‰

• Puddleglum says:

Glumpuddle Is one that I know of. But we have yet to converse. We Marsh-Wiggles tend to keep to ourselves, (with this rare exception of course).

• always narnian says:

It’s a cool picture, but that is really annoying they made it the SAME Island =( Eustace shouldn’t be a Dragon, isn’t he the one who sees Aslan at that part?

• Queen Emily the Valiant says:

OH WOW! it looks so amazing! i cannot believe how totally awesome it looks!!!!!!!!!!!!

• QueenLucy12 says:

I love this picture so much! it’s my new background!

• JustANarnianFanFromEngland says:

Preaty sexy looking island right?

• Dragon Rider says:

That is a SICK picture!
    I like the Dragon! so Cool!

• Azon says:

Ok. I can see the crew having to figure out how to get Restimars Sword out of the Gold water! That could be a very cool scene cinematically. I LOVE THIS PICTURE!!! I think this movie will finally do justice to film Dragons!! And Edmund is a beast putting his life in danger over that water like that!!

• EnnaGirl says:

I’ve been on the Islan which is now UNLOCKED!!! whoooooo. It’s really cool, though the dragon game is a little bit wierd. You get to make your own dragon, and their pretty cool but very stiff looking. And is just me or is there more those annoying "sparkly points" on this island. They keep popping up with info and I think I’m going deaf. lol

• Echka says:

OMG OMG OMG
    This image is sooooooooo coool.
    Like very much ^^