Michael Apted on “the heart of this film”

Posted September 30, 2010 1:54 pm by Glumpuddle

MovieWeb has posted their report on the footage screened in New York and Los Angeles this week. There isn’t anything new as far as spoilers, but this report includes some interesting quotes from Director Michael Apted. Here are a couple highlights:

“Another of the big challenges was to really honor the book because the book has a spiritual quality to it that I feel is important. Hopefully it is a spiritual thing that is accessible to everyone.”
[…]
“It’s a story that has English roots but its relatable to every child on the planet because its about growing up, finding yourself, coming to terms with yourself and knowing what your values are, that is really the heart of this film.”

MovieWeb writes:

One of the best parts of the footage that we saw, besides the incredibly real looking dragon, was the relationship between the unlikable Eustace and Reepicheep.

Read the whole report (The Apted quotes began in the fourth paragraph down)

Elsewhere, UGO has posted “6 Realizations After Watching New Narnia: Dawn Treader Footage.” We’ll summarize them here, but be sure to read the entire report.

1. Narnia’s Gone Back to the Magic: UGO believes the first two films were passable Lord of the Rings cash-ins, but Dawn Treader has a much more magical feel.

2. Michael Apted Thinks Talking Animals Are Ridiculous and He’s Right: Apted said making a minotaur not look goofy was a challenge, but UGO says he has pulled it off.

3. The Movie May Contain Actual Performances: UGO writes, “Yes, it’s still about the kids wandering around going ‘ooh’ and ‘aah,’ but it’s done with a confidence that the previous two films were missing.”

4. Dawn Treader Scales Back the Visuals to Its Own Benefit: UGO believes VDT has a less ‘epic’ feel than Prince Caspian. “It’s about a crew setting forth on an adventure, not the entire world congregating for the biggest battle of all time.”

5. The Film Looks British-ier: The look of the film reminded UGO of BBC’s Narnia production. “British television and film has a certain grainy quality you don’t find in America and […] I noticed the aesthetic carrying over to Dawn Treader, moreso than the original films.”

6. Sailing the High Sees Looks Fun!: “It looks like a rousing adventure with likeable leads and plenty of surprises.”

The reports from New York and Los Angeles just keeping pouring in, so keep your eyes peeled for more!

• DragonGirl28 says:

Yay, first comment! πŸ˜€ Well, this sounds great…interesting to read about, and it certainly sounds like VDT will be better than PC was.

• Liberty Hoffman says:

yes this sounds amazing!

• SusanandEdmundPevensie says:

yay! i really hope VDT is better than PC!

• Beren says:

well, perhaps it will be a successful film, but I will have a hard time watching it. I’ll be squirming the entire time. APTED: The book is NOT about "finding yourself." It is about, as gP says, "Find one’s true home."

oh my goodness, this film sounds like a bad video game.

• SusanandEdmundPevensie says:

Interesting, i didn’t think about that. well let’s hope it doesn’t end uplooking like a bad video game!

• marianne says:

Agreed. The changes to the plot aren’t really that big deal, but there absolutely MUST be the feeling of pilgrimage and finding your true home behind the Water.

But, to stay positive, I argue that finding your true self and finding your true home are somewhat the same thing, at least in Christian sense. My true self is child of God, and therefore my true home is with Him in His land, not on this Earth, where I’m but a passing stranger.

• Ambervina says:

Isn’t every movie have some sort of ‘finding yourself’ theme? I think that line is a little over used, Apted.

To be honest, wouldn’t that be a little awkward? "I’m lost!! I can’t find myself! Send out a search party!" πŸ˜€

• Bookwyrm says:

"Hi, I’m Michael Apted and I’m honoring the spirit of the most beloved entry in one of the most beloved children’s fantasy series ever by mutilating the plot with resurrected villains and cheesy love triangles!"

• Weapon Master says:

I’m not a fan of the changes he made either, but is this really necessary? Nobody fully knows how things will play out until they see the film.

• Cypher says:

Yeah, that’s a bit of a mean-spirited personal attack on the director there Bookwyrm, especially given that you’re a moderator here. At least wait until we have all the facts, which we clearly still don’t have.

• Lucy says:

come now, dear, don’t you think that’s bordering on being a bit of jerk? I don’t like the idea of the white witch coming back, either, but you don’t see me judging a movie that isn’t even out yet based on reports of clips I haven’t (and I’ll wager, you haven’t either) even seen. Seriously. Cool it. I personally think (okay, hope) it will be a very good movie and I intend to keep posstive in spite of people like you and some others on here too, trying to drag everyone down into your own bad mood. No one’s making you watch the film. If you want the book, go read it again, it’s a lovely book. Take things for what they are and chillax. As for me, I’m know exactly where I’ll be dec. 10!SAIL ON VDT! (pumps fist in air) WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

As I said before on a different topic, Bookwyrm appears to be very distraught about the plot changes, and he’s releasing his frustrations by griping in various comments. *adjusts glasses and writes on clip-board* He’s a very interesting psychological case…

Sorry Bookwyrm, I feel for you. But there’s no need to be a Marshwiggle about all this. Try to put a good face on it, and ask Puddleglum to help you have a little more bobbance and bounce and high spirits. πŸ™‚

• always narnian says:

I somewhat agree with Bookwyrm. Everyone has their opinion. No need to jump on Bookwyrm that way =) I am a little upset about the changes, BECAUSE they say they’re going to MAKE a MOVIE BASED off of the book. If they don’t follow the book, then…well, maybe they should make a movie of their own. =) Why some of us say this is BECAUSE of how much of fans we are of Narnia, and then to make a movie and Entitle it "Narnia" when it is not the Narnia we grew up with or because all the Spiritual depth is taken out and the very honorable characters (like what happened in Prince Caspian) are destroyed, you can imagine, is very upsetting.

• skandargirl_95 says:

I think what he(Micheal Apted) said here was what HE thought…it’s no different with what we’ve seen in the story of this book here…in all honesty, I can see what he’s saying here too(I’m not DEFENDING him here, it is,after all, diferent from what we know)but we should respect another person’s point of view:aftr all, he DID help make the maings of thi movie possible, so we should be thankful that he helped…

• Glenstorm the Great says:

i completely agree with booky. really, i’ve held back alot of remarks worse than this. i’m pretty mad about the direction this film seems to be going in

• samuel says:

I hate to say I agree with you. But while I’m trying to hope for the positives. It looks as though they might just get the ‘feel’ of the movie, a sea-going, magical voyage. While neglecting the plot. Quite the opposite of what they did with Prince Caspian, having all the major plot points all the while disregarding style and flow for the sake of epic battleness… In fact everything that’s been described so far seems to be pointing in the direction of "our fans didn’t like PC so let’s do EVERYTHING DIFFERENT." But I’m trying to remain hopeful, it still looks like it might be a good movie

• Bookwyrm says:

Maybe my comment was a bit extreme, but we were promised by pretty much everyone connected with the movie that they’d learned their lesson with PC. And now we’re finding out that VDT is going to be even farther off from the book than PC was. So no, I’m not feeling positive right now. I don’t like being lied to.

• Watziznehm says:

Here I am to join the list! I too don’t like the way which this movie is going. Ironically, this film will probably be a rarity for a FANTASY film, if what Mr. Apted has said is true, the film being about the inner struggles. It’s as if they decided they were going to do an experiment, one of them suggesting, "hey, let’s do a fantasy film which is all about the inner struggles. However, let’s also keep in our Hollywood cliches just to be on the safe side." *sigh* I’m just sad they had to pick Narnia as there medium for this experiment. It would have worked so much better if they had ruined a different persons potatoes and realized that Hollywood cliches kill a film. For crying out loud, that is why they are called cliches. *huge sigh* Oh well. ;( With a little bit of imagination I perceive that I will like this new film anyway because it will be me the chance to dream of what could have been!

• Abren says:

I agree. Sounds like he has the right motives when you read these, but when you see the rest of it….

plus this is kind of off topic but on the trailer when Edmund has a glowing blue sword….I mean, come on, that is SO LotR!!! (not that LotR is bad, but this is NARNIA). I was expecting someone to yell "Orcs!"…..and they say the other two movies were "Lord of the Rings cash-ins"!!!!!

• Hope in the Lord says:

I have to agree with Bookworm. I am not at all a fan of these changes. He’s made more changes that to me sound rather disasterious. It doesn’t sound like VOTDT anymore it feels like something out of a fan fic. I was disappointed in PC and now I’m heartbroken with what they’ve done to one of my favorite books. Sorry but I’ll have to pass on this one. Thanks a lot Michael. :'(

• sirsimon says:

LETS SEE YOU ADAPT VOYAGE, DO YOU HAVE TWO HUNDRED MILLION, NO?

SO SHUT UP AND GROW WHILE YOU R ALL AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i THOUGH U WERE FANS, CLEARLY JUST TROLLS

• Bookwyrm says:

You’re calling us trolls and you’re the one shouting at people? LOL! And what exactly should we be growing?

• SnowingRoses says:

Huh? I don’t get it. How does this make them trolls?
        That gives me an idea for a parody- Disney, Walden, and Fox can be the three billy goats.

• NarniaNerd says:

Okay, wow. Cheesy love triangles? Caspian says, "Susan, I’ve got you," and Edmund thinks Lilliandil is pretty. Where’d you get cheesy love triangles? Seriously.

• Boke_Wyrm says:

I agree the seven swords bit is turning the white witch into a "Lady Voldemort" who won’t stay dead. All the same, what matters is how these story elements work in context, however cliched they may be.

• Gandalfs Beard says:

Nothing wrong with a few changes Booky. I’m more concerned about the prospect of it "reminding UGO of BBC’s Narnia production" πŸ˜› .

I like Epic, I like High Quality Production Values, I like the added humourous touches that make the films relatable to modern kids.

If Britishier just means getting British lingo a bit more accurate like the Harry Potter series did then no problem, it doesn’t have to be Masterpiece Theatre accurate to 1940s British slang. And I’m a Brit.

• sirsimon says:

Where the hell did all this hate talk come from?

I think this is sick, don’t judge Apted until you see the film, from the looks of things, it will be brilliant.

Of course there would have been changes, and guess what,

NONE OF YOU CAN TRULY UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF THIS BOOK, ONLY C.S LEWIS KNEW THE HEART OF THIS BOOK.

it will be brilliant, trust me.

For months now, all I’ve seen is positivity and praise, now all of a sudden, the trolls have taken over.

When people compare films to their books, the true meaning of entertainment is lost, this is to be a fun and entertaining film for all the family.
        Yes the white witch is returning, but for a minute or so

• always narnian says:

sirsimon, because this is a family-oriented site ( and because I am a Christian) would you please not use swear words in your comments? Thank you. πŸ™‚

• Bookwyrm says:

I forgot we live in the 21st century where people are so delicate they can’t stand to see something criticized. The fact is, if you really had been around for months, you would have seen people expressing concerns about this movie all along. Clearly, either you haven’t been paying attention or you are the real troll, coming in here with the sole intent to start a fight with the purists.

Funny how it’s the We’ll Like the Movie No Matter What people who 9 times out of 10 are the ones to break out the personal abuse and name-calling. I am frequently bitingly sarcastic toward what I perceive as flawed arguments, but I see nothing productive in breaking out the "UR STEWPID BECAUSE YOU DON’T AGREEE WITH MEE!!11" argument some of the positivists favor as their default attack.

• Sirsimon says:

I am sorry, I apoligise, its just after months of excitement, all of a sudden, people are worried and angry at Apted for changes to the film.
        I was just frustrated at the moaning about the spirit of the film being changed.
        I just think we should voice our opinions, but consider what Atped is giving us fans.
        Its difficult to make a story into a film, because everyone compares them, and that is saddening.
        I think Atped has done a terrific job, he knows the book and its symbolic words.
        But I was just angry in that people only judge films by their special effects, tickets sales and who directs them.

I am sorry for being arrogant and pathetic, I just hate it when people judge a film before they see it, people are already calling the film bad and its sad.

Dont judge a book by its cover and in my eyes, Walden have done a terrific job so far, many consider Caspian a bad film, I thought it was brilliant, a good attempt at the so called worst book of the series.

• SnowingRoses says:

We SHOULD give the producers more support. I always hate critisizing Narnia because I see behind the scenes features and interviews and amazing special effects besides, and I feel a bit sorry for them since they tried so hard.
        There is a bad case of nerves going around.

• Glenstorm the Great says:

I for one have been pretty dissapointed with the film all along. But is it any better to say that this is a great movie than a bad movie if none of us have seen it? Why aren’t the people who call it an amazing movie being criticized for judging it before seeing it?

• Bookwyrm says:

LOL, good points, GtG. And again, people have been expressing concern about this movie since pre-production. The leaked script fiasco comes to mind. There was the teaser trailer blow-up too. NarniaWeb tends to have more purists here than the more mainstream websites like NarniaFans, so it would be unusual if the reaction to what we’ve heard wasn’t negative.

We’ve been assured constantly that Apted "understands" Narnia. What evidence do we have for that argument? Well, there’s the total dismantling of virtually every statement Lewis made about Narnian stars. There’s the Witch coming back from the dead, which further negates Aslan’s power. Some deity Movie!Aslan is, he can’t even keep a single witch dead. And to top it all off, Apted keeps coming out with these nonsensical statements about VDT’s main theme being temptation. So no, I don’t think he understands this book.

• NarniaQueen411 says:

Wow – all these spoilers, I think they did a fantastic job on this film! I am very excited about all this πŸ™‚

• Lucy says:

You rock! Finally another posstive mate on here! At least we’re both cheerful and excited about this film unlike some people!

• Reepicheep says:

I love all the books, But I don’t care how much they change it. They Changed Prince Caspian a lot and I still like it.At least there IS new Narnia movies instead of leaving us with the rubbish BBC ones.

• Gandalfs Beard says:

I’m with Reepicheep. By the way Lucy, from what I’ve seen so far I think the film will be awesome, but the comment about similarities to BBC’s production has me a little concerned.

• NarniaQueen411 says:

I know right? I think we are all making too big of a deal with the little tiny things, as long as the overall is true to the story that C.S. Lewis was teaching us. then its all cool 4 me.

• Beren says:

I think they’re twisting what Lewis is trying to teach. They’re trying to turn it into some "deal with the darkness within yourself" thing, while the real story is about searching and finding one’s true home.

• always narnian says:

Some of us are fans of the true, noble, innocent, Allegorical stories of Narnia. That is why we are being "Puddleglums" about it. We want what Narnia really is. Not the "Hollywood", teen-age, immature, Prince Caspian all over again. We want more of ASLAN. Where was he in the last film?

• Gandalfs Beard says:

Well Aslan wasn’t in PC, the book, much Always Narnian. I suppose they could have changed the PC script even more :roll: . Personally the only thing I thought wrong with PC the film was the lack of Bacchanal.

• always narnian says:

Gandalf’s Beard,
        I’d have to disagree. Aslan is in Prince Caspian almost more than any other book. He allows them to follow him in the woods, he meets Lucy, he meets the group before they go into the mound, he takes Lucy, Susan, and all the others through all the towns, finds Caspian’s old nurse, releases the river god, etc. and he sends them back home in the end.

• Narnia_is_Home says:

YAY! I too am glad to see some other positive people on here. It seems to me that the things people are getting most worked-up about are such tiny details that they don’t even know what they’re talking about. (Taking Caspian’s line to Lucy mistaking her for Susan, and then coming up with this big conclusion that Lucy is going to have a crush on him? Good grief, guys!!) Anyway, I’ve really liked what I’ve heard and am so excited about the film! It seems to me like it will keep to the spirit of the book very well, even if they changed some details.
      (And I’m glad it’s going to have a more British feel too! πŸ™‚ )

• ChristProclamer says:

This is exciting…I’m not spoiling myself at all for this film, but everything I’ve heard sounds positive…I can only hope it won’t be a disappointment, as PC was.

Not sure about the ‘finding yourself/growing up’ thing, but I can hope…right?

• twinimage says:

I have a feeling they’re going to get some parts really right and the rest oddly wrong.
    "Its about growing up, finding yourself, coming to terms with yourself and knowing what your values are"?????
    Maybe for Eustace… but the rest is about, as others have said, the longing for something greater, trying to find your true home, like you were meant for more.
    But from the sound of it, it sounds like Eustace is going to be the best part of the film. Don’t know about the rest though.

Heh, did anyone notice the typo in the first link?
    "Asian" the Lion? rofl!
    And in the other link, Sailing the High "Sees"? You sure it isn’t Seas? lol

• Pepper Darcy says:

I am super pleased with what Apted is doing! πŸ˜€ Of course everyone has faults, doesn’t mean you make heroes unbearable monsters like Peter/Caspian in PC, but it’s good if they grow at least and learn a good lesson. Apted, you’re great! Not that you’ll ever, ever, ever read this πŸ™

• adamie says:

this sound positive, only I keep noticing how apted seems to describe the themes differently in every interview he gives. And, please, don’t let it look like the BBC version!

• Northernranger says:

Well, this gave me hope that this one will be good. Half the time I think it will be amazing and the other half of the time I don’t think it will be the best. I don’t want to love it because it is just Narnia, I want to love it because it is good. Keep the story of Aslan alive.

i love how their really enfasizing the relationship between Eustace and Reepicheep. i was hoping they’d do that, because those two are the best characters in the book. and i bet are probably going to be the most comedy relief in the film :-).
    i dont mind really that they’re making it britishier. after all, Lewis himself was british, and he wrote the books in a very british perspective. the Narnia books to me are very british based, and i like that they’re making the movies that way.

• Gandalfs Beard says:

Depends what they mean by "Britishier". If they mean it looks lower budget like the BBC productions, then I’m concerned. And being a Brit, I think I have a right to say I liked the Epic Production values of the first two films.

Very encouraging, in my opinion. πŸ˜€ Yeah, I’m not so happy with the "finding yourself, coming to terms with yourself" stuff, but I suppose it could be worse.

I’m so glad that the report says the dragon looks real and the minotaurs don’t look goofy! I try to be forgiving with those sorts of things, but I love to see well-done fantasy creatures.

β€œIt’s about a crew setting forth on an adventure, not the entire world congregating for the biggest battle of all time.” Good. That’s how VDT should be.

"The film looks British-er." I’m glad. I didn’t like how Americanized PC was.

So overall, even if Apted said the film is about "finding yourself", I think they have the themes right. VDT is about adventure, doing the right thing, and longing for Aslan’s Country. I think there’s evidence that those themes have been kept (for the most part…) intact. At least as far as can be expected from a Hollywood movie. (Don’t yell at me if you don’t like my summary of VDT’s themes. I didn’t have time to think it out or expand on them much. πŸ˜‰ )

• MurtaghLuv says:

what do you mean americanized

Well, I don’t know if I could put a finger on it, but the PC movie felt rather Disneyfied (hmm, that’s not a word…). Maybe it was the humor, which didn’t feel very British. Or maybe it was the dialog, which also didn’t seem very WWII-era British. *shrugs* I guess I can’t really explain it satisfactorily. Maybe it’s just me.

• MurtaghLuv says:

ah i see what you mean. yeah i guess for me, the bbc ones were to corney for me but the were more british. but your right PC was disneyfied(really like the word.) definetly more hollywood.

• Maki says:

Yay! This sounds good, and I love the look of British films! πŸ˜€

• blueRain says:

Sounds good! I’m glad he said it’s more British. I disliked the American feel to PC.

• Lucy says:

What IS this gibberish everyone is saying about PC being "american"? I didn’t notice anything american about it; but then, I’m an american myself, much as I love britsh things, so what do I know? Still, all my erm…well not friends, so much as persons I know and am forced to deal with complained it was too britsh and they couldn’t understand what was happening, which also struck me as biarrze. Either way, I liked PC, but if VDT is going to be even more britsh I have no objections. If britsh be the music of VDT…then, play on.

• Rising_Star says:

Well, the most "American" thing I can think of in PC is when Lucy says "Oh my gosh, he’s so cute!" about Reepicheep. Not only is this a very modern saying, it is also glaringly out of character for Lucy to say. No young girl in 1941 Britain would say "Oh my gosh."

• always narnian says:

I know exactly what they are talking about. The American HUMOR maybe? The "Cut-you-down" sort of humor.

*Squirrel: We could collect nuts?

Reepicheep: And do what? Throw them at the Telmarines? SHUT UP!

*Trumpkin: I AM an adult.

*Susan: It wouldn’t have worked out (kisses Caspian anyways)

Very rude, sarcastic humor and such Is what i think they mean

• Gandalfs Beard says:

I’m British, and I loved the first two films (not "American" in the least except in terms of High Production Values which was a good thing), and dislike the BBC productions. I’m kind of concerned about the comment that it is similar to the BBC production.

• GlimGlum says:

Sounds more a bit promising.

• Reepicheep says:

YES! This one actually sounds like it’ll be the best in the series, and we can all agree that the first two (especially PC) tried way too hard to have a stab at Lord of the Rings.

• Gandalfs Beard says:

Nothing wrong with that, it made them better films than they otherwise might have been. I’m concerned now about the notion of it being similar to "BBC’s Narnia production". We’ve already had that thank you very much, and I didn’t like the low budget production values, the acting, the sets, you name it…and I’m British. πŸ˜›

• checkers says:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! PLEASE don’t tell me it’s going to look like the BBC version, PLEASE!!!! *sob sob*

• always narnian says:

At least they follow the books and keep the real FEEL of Narnia. The allegorical sense, everything. =) Sure they’re corny, badly acted, and funny costumes. But they keep the true story!

• checkers says:

I don’t like it when BBC follows the book word-for-word. πŸ™ I found it really boring. And bad costumes and acting and set design and whatever is hardly going to get us to Silver Chair….I really can’t stand ANYTHING about the BBC versions. πŸ™

I’m with you Checkers. πŸ™

Um, guys, just because the clips "reminded" them of BBC, it doesn’t mean the movie is going to be like the old Narnia series. Haven’t you looked at the trailers and clips? They don’t look much like BBC at all. I wouldn’t be too worried.

Besides, what’s so bad about the BBC versions? I thought VDT was pretty good for its low budget, especially the sea serpent (it looked disturbingly real). πŸ™‚ And Silver Chair wasn’t so bad either. Maybe I just like them because I grew up with them.

• Gandalfs Beard says:

Don’t get me wrong Starlily, I’m VERY HAPPY with the clips I’ve seen so far πŸ˜€ . But I am NOT a fan of the BBC Low Budget productions. So any comparison has me a bit worried that the film might not be as visually consistent as I would like.

Did I mention I’m British (and used to older low budget BBC productions). πŸ˜‰

I’m much happier with modern BBC programming. I always loved Dr Who, but the upgraded production values of the modern shows makes it much better. Likewise, when it comes to a Feature Film, for a story of this caliber, I expect Epic Big Budget production values.

• MurtaghLuv says:

I don’t know about you, but this kinda felt like Michael Apted was saying he was better than Andrew Adamson

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

I have an awesome feeling about this movie! Can’t wait till it comes out!!! It’s going to awesome when I can have an official Narnia movie marathon in my home when VDT! Comes out! I think it’s going to be the best of the three! Long live Aslan and sail on VDT! πŸ˜€ O=I====>

• Peepicheep says:

That title makes no sense at all, "Hey, tell me I’m seeing things!" Spot Colon from Newsies.

• Peepicheep says:

It wouldn’t be the same without Andrew, he did such a great job on PC and LWW. Please come back Andrew and finish this movie that’s what I want to say to him.

• Clodsley Mole says:

Peepi, you said "Please come back Andrew and finish this movie that’s what I want to say to him."

Not sure what you mean. The movie is being finished by its own director and technical team. Are you suggesting he would swoop in and change it? Not going to happen sorry.

• Duffleglum says:

wow, the way Michael Apted says it, it sounds like they really were dedicated to the Christian message…
    (:O I just said the C-word!!!

• Lucille Brown says:

But what about the relationsjip between Edmund and Eustace?

• Narnian Meerkat says:

Sounds goooooooooood. . . ;D

• SecondRose says:

This is really encouraging! I love that DT is to have a more British feel!

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

Great report!
    My only gripe: "…the film’s dramatic conclusion, and, of course, the return of /Asian/, the series’ signature Lion…"
    Good grief! Can’t y’all get Aslan’s name right?!
    But otherwise I feel hopeful… especially at the mention of Reepicheep and Eustace!!!!!!!!! That, I think, made my day!!!

• RuralNarniaFan says:

Everybody relax and stop sobbing. Everyone who’s actually SEEN the footage thought it was absolutely awesome. It’s going to be ok. Really.

I actually found some of these points encouraging… take another look at them:
    #1 " UGO believes the first two films were passable Lord of the Rings cash-ins, but Dawn Treader has a much more magical feel" That’s a good thing.
    #3 β€œYes, it’s still about the kids wandering around going β€˜ooh’ and β€˜aah,’ but it’s done with a confidence that the previous two films were missing.” Splendid, splendid.
    #4 β€œIt’s about a crew setting forth on an adventure, not the entire world congregating for the biggest battle of all time.” That’s a relief.
    #5 "This film is Britishier" *adds "Britishier" to his dictionary* Given that the books are British, also a good thing.

I guess it’s the "plenty of surprises" that has us all worried.

• TumnusTheBrave says:

im just gald were starting to get more news now. i hope there a lot of bloopers and behind the scene clips so that we can see the cast and crew having fun filming the film

• Sonny says:

You know, I used to get all "up in arms" about movies straying form the books they’re based on. And certainly, I would like the Narnia movies to follow the books as closely as possible. On the other hand, I realize that a book is a book, and a movie is a move. For example, I just real "Journey to the Center of the Earth," and am currently on "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." To be honest, neither of them would make very good movies the way they’re written. Great stories, but bad movies. Whether we like it or not, we must lean to separate the books from the movies.

That is not to say that I think every decision the producers and directors make is a good one. I was not too happy with Suspian, but hey, there is is, and I will NOT let it destroy my enjoyment of the movie. I admit to a little alarm at having the White Witch feature in the VDT movie (even more than just her on-screen time), but I look at it like this: VDT as written as C. S. Lewis is a beautiful story. I will live in that, but I am sure that the VDT as a Fox/Walden movie will be good too, just different. So I guess it’s a resignation on my part, and a conscious decision on my part to enjoy the movie, however the story goes, knowing the TRUE story written in the original Chronicles by the master himself.

SO… I am really looking forward to December 10th, whatever it may bring, and I am sure I will love the movie for the movie that it is, and not let its deviations from the true story spoil it for me.

Also, I agree 100% with Rural’s observations.

Sail on, Dawn Treader!

• pjka007 says:

Hm… I’m waiting for the movie one year and a half (and a lot of people here – and longer) and I KNOW it is GREAT! I believe in it. Georgie, Skandar, Will, Ben and other actors will do it great.
      And, the White witch – never mind. We didn’t seen the movie so we can’t say "It’s not good idea…" In the movie it looks different than in any interview!
      And, here (http://www.narniaweb.com/wp-content/gallery/vdt-banners-and-posters/edvdtdisplay01.jpg) is Susan and Peter. Susan – ok, but why there is Peter (and in school clothes? In the trailer he had Narnian clothes…)? I think he is only in the scene what was in the trailer. Maybe he will be in any scene in London. It could
      be there. Maybe in NY was not scene from the beginning of the movie, where the four Pevensies say goodbay. If it is here people, who didn’t read book, it could be explanation for him/her.
      People, pull yourself together!
      And, sorry for my not so good English. I learn it fourth year now.

Right now I’m in agreement with you. There are some things I’m pretty upset about in the VDT movie, and I’ll probably still be upset once I’ve seen them on screen. But I know there are also a bunch of things I’ll really enjoy, so I’m going to focus on them instead of the negatives.

That’s all we can do right now, anyway. We’d go crazy if we let every plot change bother us. Ugh. Focus on the positive…the positive…

• Gandalfs Beard says:

I actually have no problem with some changes. It’s to be expected in adaptations; as long as the film achieves at least 60-70% parity I’m relatively happy. 75-80% and I’m ecstatic πŸ˜€ .

I’m more concerned about production values. A story this good Deserves the BEST most Epiic production values possible.

• Narniadreamer says:

Yes! Thanks for posting, Narnia Web! I am so looking forward to the release on December 10.

• americangirlemmie says:

I just hope this actually is a good thin.:S

• Rilian says:

If this were all I saw about the film, I would be thrilled and absolutely ecstatic!

• Abren says:

Does anybody other than me wish that Apted would look on this site once and a while, read our comments, and seriously take them into consideration?

The movie would probly turn out a bit better that way…*sigh*

• Omac the centaur says:

lol ya. πŸ™‚

• Gandalfs Beard says:

I think the film-makers are quite aware of this site. πŸ˜‰

Even Skandar has been quoted as saying that "they know everything there" about Narniaweb.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

"they" who? the production team? or does skandar read narniaweb?

• Bookwyrm says:

It was Ben actually. He said "They know everything on NarniaWeb." a few years back. Went around in peoples’ signatures a lot.

"…reminded UGO of BBC’s Narnia production." Now I’m worried. πŸ˜•

• TheScribblingScribe says:

You must admit, though, that while the BBC adaptions are cheesy at times, they’re quite close to the book… an element that PC is seriously lacking. Who knows, it could be a good thing Apted is leaning in the BBC direction!

• Pepper Darcy says:

ha, ha, just so that he doesn’t have 12 foot beavers πŸ™‚ ha, ha, though I’m not sure cheesy makes a better film adaption no matter how close. I couldn’t stand either πŸ˜› BBC Narnia was so ‘unpassionate’ in the way they acted. :)But they were right on with adaption.

• QueenLucytheValient says:

Wooooow there are ten million comments here, but here are my ideas. I agree with Gandalfs beard. I am getting a little worried. But I am glad that he said he wanted to keep the spiritual part. And yikes, the grainy feel of British movies. And I did like it being epic.

• Boke_Wyrm says:

Everyone is saying Will Poulter nailed the part of Eustace, just as the filmmakers said he did last year. That is by far the most important part. If he has not, all the production values and story refinements and spiritual values will not save the film.

Don’t read too much into the reviews, they have too much "Gee, ain’t I a great wordsmith" about them. We’ll find out for ourselves in December.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

It’s to late now everyone! We can’t change what he put in the movie. No need to get all mad. And if he didn’t add new interesting things in the movie, than we would know exactly what will happen. He probably wanted to add the element of surprise.

• Jill Pole says:

I have an idea! Why don’t we all go to the movie with absolutely NO expectations? Then, we’ll either be pleased or just think, ‘meh’.

BTW Gandalf’s Beard, we KNOW you are British!

Another point: I think what they meant by ‘British feel’ probably means is that it has more British humour, phrases, ect. and still have you subtly notice that this is a high budget film. I guess what I mean is, you know how British TV has a different feel than American TV? But it will probably still have American polish.

I also think the book had the elements of finding your ‘true home’, AND staying true to yourself. -collective gasp because someone just mentioned that there could be a COMPROMISE!- πŸ˜€

Isn’t this movie/book supposed to be about hope? Well why don’t we hope that this is going to be the greatest Narnian movie of all time. I don’t know about you guys, but I’m going to try to thoroughly enjoy every single moment of this movie.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

i think we have to remember we are lucky to even get this movie series out, what with the anti-christian bias in hollywood. they may even whitewash their comments so as to not frighten off the non christian general public. So let’s bear this in mind and be as supportive as we can so as to get the rest made!!

• Bookwyrm says:

Except I don’t want the rest of the series filmed if they’re all going to be rubbish adaptations. There are plenty of fantasy movies coming out if I want to see a generic fantasy movie.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

At least the Narnia books are origianal, hence origional movies.

• Pepper Darcy says:

I confes I had been worried about Lucy’s beauty temptation thing and worried they’d warp her into a monster like Peter in PC, but I found this on the Voyage of the Characters’ site today. Especially the last paragraph was promising

Lucy *does* call to Aslan in the film when they are at the dark island (I know some were worried about that whether it would be Aslan/or Lilliandil who would save them). Lucy *does* learn what true beauty is. Good. She has the temptation but doesn’t give in and overcomes it πŸ™‚ Good. I’m slightly worried too, slightly. But overall I’m excited. I don’t think the changes will be attrocious like in PC. But I do think PC has us worried.

• Pepper Darcy says:

and the answers/questions to the quiz are promising as well! I got it 100% right, so I’m Lucy’s advisor now πŸ™‚ Means I can go to Narnia! πŸ˜€

Hey, and maybe there’s not too much to fear, guys. Remember how a while back, everyone was freaking out over the beauty spell and how they thought Lucy ripped out the page? Well, she didn’t when they saw those scenes right? So, maybe we should hold out and wait to see just a little bit longer before we start being *really* afraid πŸ™‚

• Annabeth says:

awww, I think Lucy is pretty in her own awesome way. I’m sooo glad that she doesn’t totally shun Aslan. that would REALLY stink.

• Pepper Darcy says:

I always thought she was pretty too πŸ™‚ Probably just Susan that makes her think/believe she’s not pretty since Susan probably gets the ‘attention’. Unfortunately the Suspian thing probably fuled it.

• Annabeth says:

yeah, that’s actually my EXACT theory. In my opinon, Lucy’s way prettier than Susan

• Annabeth says:

The way I look at is this: There is no right or wrong way to portray the books, so if Michel Apted changes the entire thing, that’s his choice, even if we don’t like it. I’m not defending Apted, and I don’t like it any more than the next guy that the white witch is coming back ( *grrrr* this is the THIRD movie and she’s STILL NOT DEAD) or the whole "It’s okay Susan I’ve got you" thing. However, we’re always going to have the books and nothing is going to change that.

• Queen Susan the Gentle says:

But if you remember in MN, Aslan said she would never die. It was because of that apple she ate… yeah it stinks but he said that would happen… and also, I think Edmund’s in Dark Island when he sees her, so really I think it’s just a dream.

• Queen Susan the Gentle says:

I can’t wait to see it! But I’m trying really hard NOT to read all the lines. LOL!

• Aunt Letty says:

"…the book has a spiritual quality to it…" "…it is a spiritual thing that is accessible to everyone."

In my experience, this kind of talk tends to be entertainment-industry code for, "open Christianity may embarrass us by offending others, so we’ve diluted the content for a mixed audience."

Whether or not the message of Christ is "accessible to everyone" is a subject for another discussion than what we have here, but the watering-down of what Lewis was saying sort of robbed the first two films of their real impact, for me. Not that I didn’t enjoy them and don’t own them, just that my appreciation of them comes from different elements than what I found to love in the books. They don’t rank as "great" to me, just "good".

• Annabeth says:

I think that the films were pretty good in the spiritual content. In the first one, it actually included Aslan’s death and resurection, which was pretty awesome in my opinon. In PC, it wasn’t AS obvious, but it was still there. After all, C.S Lewis said that the spirtuality in the books was "supposed". I think that sometimes people overlook the Christianity of the books and just see them as a "classic children’s series". That could explain why Apted doesn’t quite get the picture.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

^^ completely agree

• Aunt Letty says:

Yes, I agree that they were positive and certainly did their best to uphold the "spiritual" nature of the stories. The films were a far cry better than most of what comes out in the theaters. They just didn’t hit the same chords with me as the books. I would have been astonished if they did.

• Bookwyrm says:

This is why I’m so upset over the WW coming back. It lessens Aslan’s power. If God ganked someone, they’d stay dead unless he let them come back. The same should apply to Aslan. Having the witch come back to life over and over makes her Aslan’s equal.

• sachin says: