There’s a Place For Us Lyrics and Video

Posted November 3, 2010 3:39 am by Bookwyrm

Those of you eagerly following the development of the Carrie Underwood song for Dawn Treader will likely be delighted to learn that VH1 has uploaded the lyrics to the song. It looks as if the transcriber had trouble identifying a few words, but most of the lyrics are intact. They are as follows:

There’s a place out there for us,
more than just a prayer or anything we ever dreamed of.
So if you feel like giving up cause you don’t fit in down here,
fear is crashing in, close your eyes and take my hand.

We can be the kings and queens of anything if we believe.
It’s written in the stars that shine above,
a world where you and I belong, where faith and love will keep us strong,
exactly who we are is just enough
yes there’s a place for us, there’s a place for us.

??? meet the sky,
where your heart is free and hope comes back to life,
where these broken hands are whole again,
we will find what we’ve been waiting for,
we were made for so much more

We can be the kings and queens of anything if we believe.
It’s written in the stars that shine above,
a world where you and I belong, where faith and love will keep us strong,
exactly who we are is just enough,
yes there’s a place for us, now there’s a place for us

So hold on, now hold on,
there’s a place for us

We can be the kings and queens of anything if we believe.
It’s written in the stars that shine above,
a world where you and I belong, where faith and love will keep us strong,
exactly who we are is just enough, exactly who we are is just enough,
there’s a place for us.

You can also view the song being performed on YouTube.

Many thanks to spy reporter 7Chronicles for the lyrics link.

• Fire Fairy says:

I believe, where there is question marks, the lyrics are "When water meets the sky". Awesome find! The music is really good. I don’t really care who ends up singing it. The song is great.

• Griffle says:

Wow, this is a surprise. Never thought I’d see these guys perform a song from a Narnia film. Love the song, and hey, they were pretty good. Far from the best we have to offer here in Sweden, but still…pretty good. Weird…

• Aragorn2 says:

It almost seems as if the song was written about Narnia

• Not Of This World says:

What I think happend was the narnia people talked to Underwood and told her to write a song about Narnia.

• aragornluvr1 says:

maybe wta i think hapened was they wouldnt have ordered her to do it caus wat of she said no she didnt have to do it so they would hav asked her

• aragornluvr1 says:

maybe wat i think hapened was they wouldnt have ordered her to do it caus wat of she said no she didnt have to do it so they would hav asked her

• aragornluvr1 says:

dewd this song rocs i luv it im dewing this song for the talent show

• Pepper Darcy says:

*shrugs* oh well. I have the rest of the music (soundtrack)to look forward to 🙂

• Namira says:

I’m sorry but this is just like all those gospel songs of the 90s. I am somewhat disappointed. If there is another version done of it, ie acoustic, that might be better. The lyrics are still somewhat campy; I just wish it did not feel like they were writing for the elementary children and their Vacation Bible School.
    (Nervously anticipating the soundtrack)

• jordanjay29 says:

Thank you!

This sound pretty much exactly like some of the "Music Inspired By The Chronicles of Narnia" album tracks. Notably, most of those were good, but there were some "campy" songs like this that were absolute crap.

I really wish musicians would look a little deeper for their lyrics. This song sounds like it’s about Narnia, but it doesn’t sound like it has anything to do with Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

• Duffleglum says:

Campy is the exact word I was thinking of.

• Bookwyrm says:

I don’t even find it to be particularly religious. It sounds like the sort of wishy-washy believe in yourself! generic song that you would get in a Disney movie. There’s nothing truly Narnian about it.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

so jaded, our beloved Bookwyrm…. : )

• Adeona says:

That’s exactly how I feel about it, Bookwyrm! You put things in words so much better than I do…

• Laura Elizabeth says:

No, Queen Shelley Belly, it’s not jaded. He’s absolutely right. Thumbs up, Bookwyrm 😀

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

I wasn’t aware this song was supposed to be "religious" in any way. I think the only thing that might somewhat point to that is the line "There’s a place for us"; the rest of the song bears little to no indication otherwise I think.

• silent warrior Trinity-hawkeye291 says:

is this in the soundtrack? but i kinda like this video!

• Aslan's Country says:

I think the ‘??’ might be ‘where the water meets the sky’.. as in, the wave at the edge of the world? Still can’t stand the song, at least sung by those guys. 😛 *stops listening*

• Duffleglum says:

yes, though this junky thing might be put near the end of the credits, just like they did with "This Is Home"

• WarriorOfNarnia says:

I can’t see it!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

• adamie says:

this is only OK. Switchfoot’s This is home had more fitting lyrics and a style that fitted the films better.

• Ionic Bonding Rocks says:

‘This is Home’ is my favourite song in the world, but while it fitted in with Prince Caspian I think that it is much more of a Last Battle song… especially the part about "Created for a place I never knew".
      But yeah, I wish that they had a better song than this- one that fitted in with the film more. *sigh*

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

That’s what I think. "This Is Home" wasn’t intentionally based off of what Jewel said in LB, but it definitely reflects it.

• David M says:

As long as it’s not in the actual movie, I don’t care. Not a very good song. Phil Wickam’s Sailing on a Ship fits the movie much better than this.

• Carwashboy says:

I really love the references to the "kings and queens" and the ideas of faith and hope and "we were made for something more"! Let’s be positive about this song! It’s truly a great expression of the spirituality and Christian themes found in Narnia!

• jordanjay29 says:

See, by now I thought we’d have moved past the ‘kings and queens’ theme and begun focusing more on the actual aspects of Christianity that Lewis addresses in these stories. What about finding faith we didn’t know we had, redemption, forgiveness, transforming from mere believer into teacher and learning to appreciate the journey just as much as the destination? These are all themes that thread their way through VDT, I would have hoped that the music would appropriately touch on them.

The "we were made for something more" idea has been present ever since LLW. Alanis Morrisetti’s "Wunderkind" and several of artists covered this in the "Music Inspired by the Chronicles of Narnia" album, including Jeremy Camp’s "Open Up Your Eyes," Kutless’ "More Than it Seems" all had this as their recurring theme. It’s time to move on, focus less on the idea that Narnia brings out the purpose in all who enter there (if they let it) and more on the particular themes that weave their way through the story at hand, that is, Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

I don’t think there’s anything negative about criticism, it’s merely a differentiating opinion. You’re right, this song is an expression of the spirituality and Christian themes found in Narnia, but it’s overgeneralized, these themes can be found in a dozen other genres. Narnia evokes a certain magic, and bottom line, this song just fails to capture it.

• HUGENARNIAFAN10156 says:

The song is really really good but i still prefer The Call. I think Regina’s song fit perfectly with Prince Caspian, but im not so sure with this song. Don’t get me wrong, the words are great, the tune is great, but there is something missing. I don’t know what, but hopefully my mind will be changed when i see the movie.

• Duffleglum says:

In it’s own right, it’s a great song.

But for a movie that has dragon battles, sword fighting and spells being released??
      One word: NO

• Narnianerd says:

Heck… Lets just play "row, row, row your boat" behind the lyrics……. enough said.

• Val says:

(Reik? Más fome la canción jajaja pésima!) Wake up, these guys are like a 90’s boy band I hate the song.

• LL says:

LOL at 2:13-2:16 !!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

love the song, the performance is the corny part- they look like they are suffering- LOL

• Violamom says:

OK, I know I’m out if it, but who are these guys anyway?? The first few minutes are just painfully awful, and it only gets better when the brass section starts to cover them up. 😛
    They look like they’d rather be anywhere else singing anything else…(and what’s with all the random lit up numbers in the background?)

Rant over…as to the song itself…meh…it is generic and a bit cheesy and the arrangement is overwrought. I wonder what it would sound like with a more acoustic orchestration. But, really, how important *is* a "final credit song" anyway? Artistically, slapping some contemporary song at the end of a movie has ALWAYS been a disconnected ploy to squeeze a few more bucks worth of profit out of the whole enterprise. There have been some good ones (the LOTR movies leap to mind), but in general they’re kind of a throwaway gesture that has little to do with the movie itself. Not to mention sounding ridiculously dated within 10-20 years.

So I wouldn’t "not buy a soundtrack" just because the credit song is bilgewater. David Arnold deserves more respect than that, imo. And I’m quite confident the REAL soundtrack (the part that matters) will be quite wonderful, if his music for Amazing Grace is anything to go by. Them’s my two cents worth. 😉 <><

• Violamom says:

I think I’ve figured out that this must be a telethon fundraiser for something, given the pictures of children in the background, cute fluffy pink hearts all over the place and that number plastered everywhere you look (which must be the phone number to call to make your pledge.) So disregard my "random numbers" comment. It’s still really awful. 😛 <><

• Bookwyrm says:

I despise Winter Light with a passion, but I still bought the LWW score. I agree, one credits song being terrible is not enough to keep me from buying the score if it’s a good score.

• Timo says:

Like the song.. If those guys learned to sing in tune It would’ve been a good video :p

• Narnian_Archer says:

I couldn’t listen to more than 30 seconds…it’s a little too poppy somehow…I don’t really like it.

• Josh says:

I think the song is talking about Aslan’s Country.

• Lewis says:

I don’t think is talking about Aslan’s Country ’cause you won’t need faith there, and the song says "where faith and love will keep us strong"

• Arieh says:

Sounds very much like something recorded ten years ago. Has that late 90’s early 2000’s vibe. (back to LWW again?) But not horrible. I would’ve liked either something current with today’s culture (This is home), or something more classical(Like some of LWW’s songs). But oh well, there are bigger things to worry about than this.

• Victoria says:

OMG, EMD they are from Sweeden, like me! Cool 😀

• Anna's Sister says:

Interesting, but I’m glad this is not actually connected to Narnia.
    I don’t think any song will ever be more touching than "The Call"!

• WholeHearted says:

…. Well you could tell it was live. I think I’d like it better if Carrie does it. She has an absolutley amazing voice. Not saying these guys don’t have talent… I just think Carrie would take it up a few notches.

• Narnian Meerkat says:

I am not going to read nor watch the video. I don’t evan want to spoil the songs. 🙂

• Lyle says:

Very unremarkable — too ‘syrupy’ and sweet. The best Narnia song still has to be Imogen Heap’s Can’t Take It In.

• Secrets of Excalibur says:

"Can’t Take It In" is my favorite song too. The fantasy-ish sound of it fits Narnia perfectly.
      About this song, I think it will probably sound much better with Carrie singing it, and maybe with a more classical arrangment (piano, violin, etc.)

• Annabeth says:

okay….truthfully, i REALLY do not like Carrie Underwood, so when i heard she was doing a Narnia song i just about cried. The lyrics don’t seem very remarkable and I agree^^ it is too ‘syrupy’ sweet. it doesn’t really stand out, it’s just kind of….your average credit music. What i loved about the music in PC, especially ‘This Is Home’ (the soundtrack version) was that it could apply to both Narnia AND life in general. Also, ‘Can’t Take It In’ is like that too, but it still has a Narnia- feel.

Overall, I’m unimpressed and kind of sad.

• cchordstudios says:

wow. These guys can’t sing. Just sayin.

• Francoise says:

"?????" in lyrics =
    " When the water" (meet the sky)

• faunforaslan says:

Carrie’s version is the best!!! And she wrote it, so she knows how it should be sung. 😀

• Lewis says:

The song has to do with Narnia as it is, but it does not with its spiritual meaning.

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry