NarniaFans Interviews Rynelf, Gael, and the Belligerent Telmarine

Posted January 6, 2011 3:10 pm by fantasia_kitty

NarniaFans.com interviewed three of the actors from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader — Tony Nixon who plays Rynelf (credited as 1st Mate), Arabella Morton who plays Gael, and Mirko Grillini who plays the Belligerent Telmarine. Here are some highlights from each interview.

NarniaFans.com: How did you prepare for your role [as Rynelf]?

Tony Nixon: Usually I like to get the script ASAP and get as much information from that as I can. However I waited and waited, but no script was forthcoming. The role had been listed as a “Support role” and so I wasn’t sure how much dialogue I would have.
I finally got to see the script for the first time 2 weeks before shooting started at a full cast read through. I was a little disappointed at how little dialogue the support roles had. On the other hand as it was only two weeks out I was a bit relieved too.
In this case of course we had the book to go on. I read the book several times and made notes on Rynelf. In particular I was interested in his relationship to Caspian. And so I tried to build up some kind of character from what I could glean from the book.

The full interview with Tony Nixon is available here.

NarniaFans.com: How did you come to be involved with this Chronicles of Narnia movie? Take us through the process for how you learned of the film and casting.

Arabella Morton: My Mum didn’t tell me I was auditioning for ‘Narnia’ – at this stage of the casting it had another name – ‘The Invisible Army’ due to confidentiality. It was only when I was inside the Audition room that they told me and I was SOOO excited I yelled out with excitement when I left the audition. My Mum & Agent didn’t want me to have additional pressure of knowing the name of the movie. There were so many other girls there and they were all so beautiful and talented … I already loved the 1st 2 Narnia movies and always related well to ‘Lucy’. Just knowing I was in the running to meet her and perhaps meet the other cast members was pretty cool – I thought would be a dream come true!
We received a phone call from my Agent, Natalie Hall about a week or so later, I had not forgotten about Narnia, far from it, but I didn’t want to get my hopes too high! Afterwards, Mummy said that Natalie was very confident that I may have the role, but she didn’t tell me this before the 2nd audition. I went for the 2nd Audition with Michael Apted and Cort; I didn’t realise I was the ONLY one to do this… guess this meant I was pretty high on the list! Michael was so lovely, very kind to me and funny. On this day I also met Steve Rooke (Nausus the faun) and Rachel Blakely (‘Gael’s’ mum, ‘Helaine’). Rachel helped us by playing ‘Lucy’ during the audition with me. I was staying with Nanna & Grandad during the school holidays, when Mummy arrived out of the blue one day, soon after the 2nd audition; she walked in the door, handed me the phone and Natalie told me (very loudly) that I had secured the role of ‘Gael’ – it was one of the happiest days of my life… I screamed very loudly and jumped up and down a lot, my brother Charlie was hugging me and we had a little ‘happy cry’. I then became a little nervous… I was going to meet some of my favourite people, spend 6 months on set and life was about to get a little bit crazy! I was 8 years old and going for a magical voyage in Narnia!!!

The full interview with Arabella Morton is available here.

NarniaFans.com: What was life like on the set? Give us a good ‘day in the life’ type of thing.

Mirko Grillini: Ha ha ha, a good day…. they were all good days. For me it started with waking up. You know, getting through the gates of the studios, saying good morning to everyone, making a few coffees for other actors and crew (we had a coffee machine and I love making coffees… True Italian blood I guess), then into my trailer were my clean ironed clothing would be hanging. Reading the scenes that were going to be shot on that day and go to make up to make me look more “belligerent”. From there, it was life on set. Rehearsing, blocking, filming, resting, getting wet in the storm scenes and very hot in the armour under the Queensland sun. I remember a particular funny episode with Caspian during the shooting of one of the storm scenes. Both Ben and I were hit by 2,000 litres of water pouring all at once from a very large tank, simulating a wave…. I have never had so much fun, it was like being in a gigantic water slide. The Dawn Treader was shaking and I was rolling on the floor like a doughnut. There is another very, very funny episode that happened in Ramandu’s Island but it’s very hard to explain in writing….. I’m still laughing thinking about it.

The full interview with Mirko Grillini is here.

• Cynical Narnia Fanboy says:

wow, Arabella’s expereince sounds alot like Georgie’s in LWW…

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

I love Arabella! 😀

She sounds so sweet! Whatever some people think of the character Gael (her role, her screentime, her relationship with Lucy, her nonexistence in the book), I think we should all support Arabella. I’m so glad she got to be in a Narnia movie and meet the cast–it sounds like such a good experience for her. 🙂 I hope she wasn’t hurt by any comments people made about her character. Oh, and I’m glad she has a brother who will hug her! (Mine won’t, though he’s a good brother–mostly 😉 )

• Queen Su says:

She is so cute in the movie and I loved the part she played! Arabella rocks! 🙂

• Mangolite says:

I understand what the studio want to do is to return to what Georgie was in LWW, but the character of Gael was not fully freshed out due to the poorly written script. However the young actress Arabella Morton did a fine job. Best wishes to her future endeavor.

• daughter of the King says:

I wish the mutiny scene hadn’t been cut. Rynelf’s speech in the book is amazing and I really wanted to see Tony Nixon deliver it.

• Pepper Darcy says:

I think Arabella was so *darling* as Gael. I wish there had been more of her 🙂

• Not Of This World says:

The part about the fire was so funny!

Okay, after reading these interviews I’m really upset that so much was cut out of the final film. Why would they chop "fleshing out" scenes when the movie apparently needed more of those? I really hope there is an extended cut, or at least deleted scenes on the DVD. I want to see the mutiny scene!

Oh, and I read where Arabella says she kind of wishes Gael could be in The Silver Chair. Well, I have to say I don’t want Gael in SC (she would have no purpose), but I really hope Arabella can be an extra in SC. She could be a girl faun in the crowd at Cair Paravel (I’ve been wanting to see a faunette 🙂 ) or a background giant at Harfang. That way she could be a part of Narnia, but her character wouldn’t be in the way. It’s been done with other actors. 🙂

• Hwin says:

I agree, I do not really see where in SC she would fit in as Gael. Although you never know. . .

• AREM says:

Well, there could be a flash back if the green mist has something to do with The Lady of the Green Kirtle……….someone should create a facebook group for that.

• Gem says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? The green mist and how it "represented the evil all around" in VDT was already the WORST part of that movie. We DON"T need another Narnian movie, especially SC, tainted by stupid, distasteful additions.

• Hwin says:

Haha, that could have been brought about a little more gently 😉 I think AREM was just suggesting what they *could* do to bring back Gael’s character. I agree however, I really don’t want the green mist to ‘come back’. It’s DEAD. Destroyed. Gone.

• Gem says:

Well, I guess I didn’t mean so blunt. I don’t mean to offend you AREM, maybe you didn’t even mean what I thought you did, but I just am so strongly against something like the green mist and the evil (such as the White Witch) having so power even in the very presence of Aslan. I can’t, WE can’t, see it come back and ruin the very heart of the story again in SC.

• AsbelMcTalisker says:

[quote]I agree however, I really don’t want the green mist to ‘come back’. It’s DEAD. Destroyed. Gone.[/quote]
        Trouble is, unless they are VERY careful with the screenplay for `The Silver Chair` in the final confrontation with `The Green Witch` its going to be difficult to prevent the audience making the connection.

• Gem says:

Oh, I never even thought of the connection there. Well, I’m not too worried about the connection between the two as I am that they will do something stupid like making the White Witch and the Emerald Witch the same evil spirit or something SIMPLY because it says in the book that they are from the same race.

• Not Of This World says:

How about they bring Gael back in the Last Battle?

• Hwin says:

At first I was a little annoyed at the thought of there being a ‘mysterious little girl’ who turned out to be a stowaway, but after watching the movie and reading interviews and such with her, I thought her to be one of the sweetest girls ever! It made almost a little sad that she was not involved in the movie more, but than again she isn’t in the book, so it was perhaps better that she wasn’t in it too much. She did really well with the character of Gael.

I think she will become quite the actress if she keeps at it! She already is!

• yeswelovenarnia says:

I felt the same way! I was a bit annoyed at them changing the movie at all, but they did it so well and her character is so cool that once I watched the movie I was totally fine with it!

• Michael says:

Some really great interviews!! Gael is so sweet.

• The Inscrutable Rutabaga says:

Wow, I had no idea that Tony Nixon played Manuel in "Faulty Towers"; that’s an awfully funny show, and his character is great.

• Gem says:

Arabella seems like such a sweet girl, but I think the whole Gael storyline and her character were rather pointless. I mean, there was so much hype about the MLG, and she really wasn’t that important to the movie. But I LOVE Tony Nixon as Drinian. Not sure I liked him being bald at first, and he is a bit older than I thought, or at least looks older, but he is a very good actor. Very loyal, confident, and commanding, like Drinian should be.

Oops, I’m sorry, I meant I liked Tony Nixon as Rynelf. My bad. ^_^

• Ionic Bonding Rocks says:

Really? I personally thought Gael was a nice addition to the story (as opposed to the incredibly unoriginal and far-fetched green mist). It added to the friendship aspect of the film, which to me is really important. I only wish they had done more with her and that the editors hadn’t cut so much out. And for 8 or 9 years old, she has a really good English accent!

• Gem says:

She was very sweet and if they had had more of her in there and really made her more important to the movie, however they would do that, it would have been very nice. But because they didn’t, there just wasn’t much of a reason for her, and we had enough things in VDT that didn’t have a reason.

• Ionic Bonding Rocks says:

Well I agree that they needed more of her to make her more important, but she was still /semi/ important with the whole looking up to Lucy thing. And if she wasn’t as important as she could have been due to bad editing, at least she was a nice little side story that added a bit more depth to the film, rather than certain hardly-nice things such as the green mist. 😉

• Gem says:

Well, like I said, I think the idea behind her was good, but I felt she was just totally unimportant because of bad writing, bad editing, etc., etc. If they had really had a storyline with her and had how she looks up to Lucy really be something that helps Lucy through her insecurity, then it would have been a nice touch and could have worked. But it really didn’t.

• Aslan's Lamb says:

I would say that adding Gael to the story actually made a lot of sense (and was not pointless at all). In the book, you get to hear Lucy’s thoughts but we don’t get that in the movie, so she needs a character to share some of her thoughts with. And through little Gael’s eyes, we get to see much more clearly the wonderful young woman Lucy is becoming.

• Gem says:

No, it didn’t make sense. It could have, but Gael’s character’s wasn’t developed well enough to make her important. It is a good idea to show how Lucy is growing into a wonderful young lady through a little girl’s eyes who looks up to her, especially as Lucy is doubting herself, but there was only like one brief scene between the two and it wasn’t really very important to the movie. It didn’t make much of a difference and just felt unfinished and choppy. Unneeded.

• Not Of This World says:

I liked the addition of Gael. I wouldn’t of changed a thing about her. In fact I wouldn’t of changed a thing the whole movie.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

the whole movie felt rushed and choppy to me . very strange editing. i was turned off by the idea of adding a girl younger than lucy, it felt very calculated to me , but i thought it really helped round out lucy’s character and i felt surprised to find i enjoyed their interaction. although the manner of getting gael in the script seemed totally bogus (human sacrifices to a green cloud??? hello scooby doo! )

• Not Of This World says:

I still wouldn’t have changed a thing.

• Gem says:

I TOTALLY agree with you, HQSB. The whole movie was rushed and choppy and they had random and unfinished storylines flying around everywhere, and Gael was one of them. If they had really made her a character and made her more important to how Lucy sees herself then yes, I think it might have worked and been a nice touch. But it just is rather pointless.

• stateofgreen says:

Wow she mentions a Director’s Cut too? I hope that comes true!

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

awww, "Mummy"? that is SO cute. i loved Gael in VDT, at first i was afraid she would take away some of the excitement from the movie, but it turned out she did quite the opposite. i loved how she sort of showed Lucy that SHE was important and that she DID mean a lot to everyone. (even tho Lucy kind of bugged me in VDT). Arabella (which happens to be a GEORGOUS name 🙂 ) seems SO sweet, and i totally understand what she means about relating to Lucy. i felt like that when i watched LWW because we were about the same age.
    Hahaha, i like the Mirko Grillini interview. I,too, am a coffeeoholic and i especially love making it as well. 🙂

• Marjorie says:

Today, i’ve found a new picture of narnia 3, on the set, with ben and skandar and the director, michael apted.
    Link : http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01777/apted-keynes-barne_1777516b.jpg

sorry for my bad english, im french. Thanks !

• yeswelovenarnia says:

Oh my!! I loved reading Arabella’s interview!! That is sooo cool!! I dream of being on a Narnia set too and meeting the cast!! I am glad she got to do that! I really liked the addition of her character even though it wasn’t in the book. I think it added some interesting things to the movie!! I am sad she won’t be in the next one! 🙁

• Linda Marek says:

I think they added Gael to have another female character. Up until now there was Susan but without Gael this would have virtually an all-male cast plus Lucy (with the exception of the star). Not everyone in the audience has read the book and the film makers have to think of audience appeal to a broad spectrum. Gael does have a point. Lucy is consumed with her desire to be beautiful like Susan. She learns from Aslan that it is important to be herself and he points out that without her the others wouldn’t have found Narnia. When Gael says she wants to be just like Lucy when she grows up, it is a great compliment, but Lucy is able to tell her the truth she has learned. This is one of the lessons the audience learns, along with the many taught through Eustace regarding the consequences of selfish, greedy "dragon-like" behaviour, and the results of repentance and redemption. Edmund learns the danger of letting your fears control you when his deepest fear becomes reality (the sea serpent). Everyone time you watch this movie you get new insights.

The MLG was the oldest trick in the book. The filmmakers didn’t want to take the time to develop a compelling or interesting character, so they resorted to the old "save my baby please!!" trick. *rolls eyes*

• WarriorOfNarnia says:

HAHA!!! I totally agree!!!

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

this is a good example of what astounds me, these people deem CS Lewis material too old-fashioned and slow, so they cop the name to use on the marquee, then write a new script filled with shop worn, common, cliche, standard tv level fare, then soup up the mindless battling, then wonder why the audience is going downhill. It’s nuts to alienate the core audience who what to see the actual material written by CS Lewis, then dump a load of dumbed down updates on them. GUESS WHAT, WRITERS- CS LEWIS IS A SUPERIOR WRITER. don’t take that personally, but let’s get real here. stop making the same mistake till you kill off the series when we actually want it.!

• Swordebrithil12 says:

Arabella I just love you!!!

• Fiona says:

I feel like I am the only one that thought Gaels character was unimportent and rather annoying…

• Edmund's Queen says:

You’re not. I, mean she was cute, and I’m happy for sweet little Arabella, but she’s probably one of the most unnecessary characters I’ve ever come across in a movie.

To Princess Jennifer:
      If you’re reading this, please reply! I miss you.

• Gem says:

No you’re not, I agree with you too. She was cute and the idea behind her being there might have worked if it had been developed, but one of the biggest things I hated about the movie was how choppy, random and undeveloped the main storylines were, and part of the reason they were so undeveloped was because they added unneeded storylines in there like Gael. Nothing against Arabella, she’s sweet and seems to be a good actor for her age, but Gael- totally an unneeded addition.

• Edmund's Queen says:

I don’t think the movie was choppy; I think green mist helped with smooth sailing (no pun intended). But I would certainly delete Gael and her parents.

• Gem says:

It’s a green mist that you have to sacrifice people to…come on, are you serious? It was so cheesy and ridiculous and the WORST way to "represent evil" ever. I mean, it was like a Disney channel movie! Gosh, I thought we had moved on to something higher and better than Disney. I guess not. Gael and the green mist were both bad storylines and unneeded, but I would much rather have Gael than the green mist, Gael didn’t really work, but she didn’t hurt the movie like the whole green mist thing did.

• Fiona Everst says:

First of all I would like to say…I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE HOORAY! And I actually have to agree with both you. The green mist was a pretty stupid idea, but the movie wasn’t choppy just fast. 🙂

• Gem says:

Very choppy, in my opinion…^_^
        But you’re right, it was too fast, but I guess it would be hard to fit a book as detailed as VDT into a two hour movie.

• High Queene Shelly Belly says:

@gem, you are right, that’s why we need a miniseries adaptation where they can take as long as they like-

• Gem says:

Oh my gosh, I never thought of that…they SHOULD have done a miniseries. It would have been hard to pull off and they might not have gotten the money and publicity a movie would…but if they had the Brits do it, they are great at adapting books into stellar true-to-the-book miniseries.

• Fiona Everest says:

You are right! Goodness, a miniseries would have worked great! 🙂

• Gem says:

I know, right? It would have been great! If they could have gotten someone really good and experienced to direct it, I’m sure more true fans of the books would have been more into it than two-hour movies of detailed books.

• Little Lu* says:

Comment on Fiona Everst’s post from January 9th: The movie went WAY to fast for me, I didn’t have long enough to take it all in before it was over! (Comment if you liked Carrie Underwoods song at the end (There’s a place for us) and think it ties it all together!!)

• Musgrave says:

Just saw Dawn Treader for the 3rd time tonight. Can’t wait for it to come out on DVD.

• simplyphilly says:

Did anyone see an interview by Star Movies?

• Not Of This World says:

I just saw on WikiNarnia a picture for a "C.S. Lewis: The Movie". Does this mean there will be a movie about Lewis? I hope so. I’m gonna look it up and see if there is any info about the movie.

• Bethany Weathers says:

Belligerent Telmarine? Ha, that’s the role I’d want! Best title ever.

• Queen c The Gentle says:

Wouldn’t it be awesome if Narnia actually existed? I would love to become a Queen and archer to protect my country.

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry

• The Cosmopolitan Makes Chic Debut in Las Vegas « Coffee Buzz

[…] NarniaFans Interviews Rynelf, Gael, and the Belligerent Telmarine NarniaFans.com interviewed three of the actors from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader — Tony Nixon who plays Rynelf (credited as 1st Mate), Arabella Morton who plays Gael, and Mirko Grillini who plays the Belligerent Telmarine. We have some highlights from each interview. Read more on Narnia Web […]