Video Podcast: VFX of ‘Dawn Treader’

Posted April 30, 2011 12:52 pm by Glumpuddle

MPC has posted a 6-minute video podcast on the visual effects in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Interviews with the VFX team are included, along with new footage showing shots in the early animation stages. The team discusses DragonEustace, the mist, and Reepicheep. View it here.

I didn’t realize that the conversation between Lucy and Reep at the prow was blue screen. It looks legit.

i love the connections they make between Eustace’s facial expressions and his expressions as a dragon. it makes him more real and believable. the dragon was one of the best cg parts. his emotions make you feel for him, and i absolutely loved that. and i was highly impressed with Reepicheep. with his human like facial expressions it makes him more believable and understandable that this is a creature with a human brain but is still a mouse, and they did a great job with that. the sea serpent was just hands down WOW! absolutely terrifying and incredible! really great job. the CG is definiately best in this film.

• Reepicheep775 says:

Visually this was a beautiful movie. If only it… no I’ll just stop there.

• Nathan says:

Why wasn’t this on the DVD? This is more interesting than the movie itself.

• Swordebrithil12 says:

The look of the movie was fantastic. The sea serpent was 10 times more terrifyingly awesome than I had pictured. I imagined a dragonish head but this was way better.

• Aslan's BFF says:

My thoughts exactly Nathan. I was thinking that the whole time I was watching. It was so cool to watch the video though. I’m definitely going to save the email and watch it over.

I’ll never watch the movie the same way again, now I’ll be watching all the little details, like Reep’s fur or the serpent’s legs.

I officially named the serpent Theophilus. Because he’s "the awfullest" thing I ever saw. Actually the name means "lover of God". So now, every time Theophilus, the serpent, enters, we all clap and cheer, "Go Theophilus!" "Youre big Debut!" "We’re so proud of you!" But then he dies and we all mourn the loss. (by now he has died about ten times)

• reepicheep's_fangirl says:

Awww! I love your "Theophilus" story! 😀
      Give him my congratulations when he’s reached his "debut" for the 11th time! 😉

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

Haha, so the sea serpent has a Gospel and the book of Acts dedicated to him. 🙂

But I love the pun!! Even though I thought the serpent was mostly good.

I will remember to cheer for *sniff* our dear Theophilus!