A Doctor, A Wardrobe, and a TV Special

Posted November 18, 2011 4:58 pm by starkat

Narnia fans are in for a treat this Christmas season! The one and only time lord, the Doctor, is taking a trip this Christmas and there are police boxes… I mean wardrobes, a snowy forest, and a large old house involved. The trailer for the upcoming Doctor Who Christmas special has hit the web via YouTube and it holds many a familiar reference for Narnia fans. There is no release date on the trailer, but tune in sometime this Christmas for “The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe!”

• Jared says:

Doctor Who Christmas specials are always aired Christmas Day.

• starkat says:

In England yes. Not world wide. It varies depending on the country.

• Jared says:

BBC America has been airing Doctor Who same day as the UK, just hours later. I believe last year countries like Australian and New Zealand got it on Boxing Day.

• starkat says:

That was up until the season split. Then there was a two week delay in between the UK and the US showings. Christmas specials don’t run on the same schedule as the series.

I totally agree. This looks to be a pretty impressive Christmas special.

• Jared says:

Sorry, but they did still air the same day after the season split. The US did have to wait a week for the last two episodes of the first part of the season finale because of Memorial Day. All I’m saying as it seemed to be a success, they’ll likely repeat it this year.

• Warrior 4 Jesus says:

Jared, I’m an Aussie and I’m pretty sure I remember waiting well into January for the Christmas Special.

• Jenni Noordhoek says:

And if you have access to the BBC iPlayer you can watch it at the same time as it airs. 🙂

This is absolutely brilliant. I mean, it’s all Christmas and snow and adventures, and he called the TARDIS a wardrobe… and he used the best line out of the entire book series. "What do they teach you in school these days?"

Moffat’s done it again. And probably topped last year’s Christmas special. 😀

• Brian in Calgary says:

I am so looking forward to this year’s Dr Who special.

• Charlotte says:

For UK and America its Christmas Day. I can’t wait! I’m a Narnian and a Whovian! This is gonna be epic!

• Fireflower says:

Interesting! I’ll have to see it! I wonder what channel this will be on in the US…

• Hiking Peter says:

I can’t decide on it…

• Aslan's BFF says:

Sounds like fun! I was so hoping, in the trailer, to see Mr. Tumnus walk out from that spacecraft, but I guess copyright laws got in the way! Maybe someone will post a bit of it on YouTube, and I’ll watch it there. Very interesting and startling all at once…

I suppose you Narnian purists, that if you weren’t dead already, you’re dead now! (Figuratively I mean. It’s just a joke. Don’t die after that impulsive note!)

• Laura Andrews says:

Hmmm, this looks interesting o.O I like how he said, "What do they teach you in schools these days?" LOL
    The carved wooden guy was creepy!

• Lucy says:

Looks like a fun watch! But sadly I don’t get the bbc america channel…

• Hiking Peter says:

Looking at it again, I can see resemblances from the Doctor to this college kid I know……

• skandargirl_95 says:

yes, and yet MORE anticipation and disappointment here in the Philippines… T.T

• Kelly says:

I can’t wait to watch it & Claire Skinner is a great actress too. 🙂

• Thee Narnian Meerkat says:

What???………….Okay, they are kinda ruining Narnia with this…..They even took the line "What do they teach you in school these days?" said by Digory Kirk…..This is kinda stupid….lol

• Bookwyrm says:

How exactly are they "ruining Narnia" with this? A television show using a few elements from LWW? They did much the same last year, utilizing elements from The Christmas Carol and somehow managed not to ruin that novel. Perhaps you should try watching Doctor Who before you dub it "kinda stupid … lol".

• NarniaDreamin says:

I luv, luv, luv it.
    They had the old house, the pilots, the wardrobe, and the statues all from Narnia.
    But I do have a question, are the statues just statues, or are they really Weeping Angels?

• Murtaghluv says:

I didn’t think they were statues. I thought the were wooden creatures.

• Anna's Sister(TheHobbit2012!) says:

They’re not really statues. They are sort of like the physical manifestations of the trees. Kind of like tree spirits.

• Spec-Ops-Dwarf says:

It still bugs me that they go inside a present box instead of the TARDIS. I really shouldn’t be bugged though because it is just a quasi-parody.
    Ya those wooden figures are so totaly gunna be grim weepers, why else are there armored people around?

• Anna's Sister(TheHobbit2012!) says:

Saw it! It was wonderful! They took just enough of the story line of LWW to make it feel like Narnia but not too much.

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry