David Suchet to Voice Aslan Again

Posted May 9, 2012 11:13 pm by Glumpuddle

David Suchet has been cast as the voice of Aslan in Rupert Goold’s upcoming stage production of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Suchet voiced Aslan in Focus on the Family’s Narnia radio dramas (1999-2002).

“The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is an iconic story and C  S  Lewis was an extraordinary writer. He was just magical. To be asked to do the voice of one of the most famous literary animals is a great honour.”

Read more.

• Brian in Calgary says:

It’s absolutely great to hear this. In fact, if something were to happen, and Liam Neeson were no longer available to voice Aslan in any future movies, David Suchet would defintely be my first choice as a replacement.

On a related note, it was interesting to hear he once appeared on stage in ‘Toad of Toad Hall’ as Mole. We did nine performances of that play when I was a high school senior. I played the judge.

• Thee Narnian Meerkat says:

Cool. ^_^ It would be cool to see a stage production of LWW.

• Laura Andrews says:

David Suchet is a great Aslan; he sounds so much stronger, regal, and lion-like than Liam Neeson. He’s got such a rich voice 😀

• Not Of This World says:

What does he sound like?

• Laura Andrews says:

I should say, he sounds stronger, more regal, and more lion-like than Liam Neeson 😀

• always narnian says:

I am sorry. I’m afraid I think he is not a very good voice for Aslan. He is very…uh…waily…Not at all very regal.

I liked the sound of his voice on FotF, but didn’t care for his delivery at all. He was always trying to sound super epic.

• Caureloron (Tim Laurio) says:

This makes me wish yet again that I could see the stage production! I loved David Suchet as Aslan in FotF’s radio dramas. He has such a rich, flexible voice, and his delivery had a wide vocal and emotional range which gave Aslan a lot of character–much better than Liam Neeson’s rendition, imo.

• Thekla says:

I prefer Liam Neeson. Don’t try to change my mind.

David Suchet was alright. But the puppet of Aslan always drove me right over the edge.

• Justin says:

His voice wasn’t the problem. It was the horrible way he delivered the lines. Glumpuddle’s example above is about the closest you can explain it in text. If he reads it straight, he would be fine. Some of the books, he did pretty decent. LWW seems to have been the worst, if I recall correctly.