This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnia: The Filming Locations

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Narnia: The Filming Locations

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 30, 2010 9:28 am

I can't wait for VotDT! I am SO hyper and I get giddy when I see more pictures!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby ceppault » Jan 30, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm not sure the word "hyper" describes well my feelings. Any NarniaWebber that has met me knows how "hyper" I get. :p

If anything out of the production blog "Diving Right In" got my attention, it was this part:
To create the effect of the bedroom flooding with water ... dunked into the smaller of Warner Roadshow’s two exterior studio water tanks.
I've been looking for some confirmation that the Outdoor Above Ground Tank was used. While not specifically stated this tank was used, it is indeed the smaller of the two outdoor tanks. It sits right outside of Soundstage 5 - not too far of a trip to the Dawn Treader ... sort of.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby icarus » Feb 14, 2010 3:51 pm

A potential new exciting Dawn Treader Location:

NewsPhotos.com.au wrote: BCM January 28, 2010: Terry Day and Jo Day are auctioning their house and property at North Tamborine. The property has been used extensively as a movie location including Kokoda and Narnia.

Published: Courier Mail - January 30, 2010 Page: 37 Edition: FRST. Pic. Tim Marsden

Click below to see some of the other photos, though they are all of the house, rather than the gardens where the quote suggests the filming took place:

http://www.newsphotos.com.au/SearchResu ... ext=narnia

Since "Kokoda" is apparently a WWII film set in the jungles of Papua New Guinea, i would imagine this couple's estate contains significantly large areas of Jungle-like vegetation.... sounds like it would be more than suitable for Dragon Island or Deathwater, depending on how the whole "7 into 5" thing worked out.... (or Ramandu's Island even)

A random picture from "Kokoda" which may or may not be from this location:
http://thecia.com.au/reviews/k/images/kokoda-4.jpg
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 16, 2010 12:28 pm

thanks for the pictures, icarus! I am giddy and hyper again..... 8-} :D :ymhug:
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby fantasia » Feb 16, 2010 12:41 pm

I have a potentially stupid question. Are we for sure this location was used for VDT? I thought the woods looked like something that might have been used in PC. I'm guessing not though as they had the budget to travel to Poland and the Czech Republic for wooded scenes. Just wanted to mention it.

Cool house though! I'd buy it if I had the money. :))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby icarus » Feb 16, 2010 12:54 pm

North Tamborine is only 23km from WarnerRoadshow studios on the Gold Coast, so it would be quite an odd coincidence if it were a location for one of the previous movies, given its proximity to all the other VDT locations (and i don't think we ever previously had any reports of LWW or PC shooting in Australia). But yeah, it doesn't technically say it was for VDT, but i would think we are more than safe in assuming it.

One other location based bit of information which came up on my search radar recently, and which was mentioned on this site a fair few weeks back (by someone called "Andrew" on the news page comments section of a story about White Island) but which hasn't yet made it into this topic, was the satellite imagery available on NearMap.com

They have got some very up-to-date imagery of WarnerRoadshow Studios on there. If you click the link below you should go to directly above the (presumed) Dragon Cave set on the studio backlot (its quite a bit longer and deeper than it looked from the ground photo) and if you go East a few hundred metres over the buildings you should get to the car park where there are loads of props and stuff lying around, most notably there are 11 or so of those headless statues from the Bell Tower set, and quite a few of the Moeraki boulders.

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.91043,153.311892&z=20&t=h&nmd=20091113

Again, thanks to Andrew :)

Depending on how regularly that site updates its imagery, those images might not be around forever. So you may want to screencap them if you think you might want them for future reference.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fantasia » Feb 16, 2010 1:04 pm

Ok, that's what I figured icarus, but I thought I'd ask just to make sure.

Meanwhile, interesting picture! That parking lot has got to be the most surreal parking lot I've ever seen with all those bodies laying around. :)) I also see a fair number of rowboats and what I believe is the tail of the Dawn Treader. And just to the north of those boulders... I bet those are trees. Big ones. Cool!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby ceppault » Feb 17, 2010 6:00 am

Wow. Loving this. :ymblushing: I'm not sure if I am more interested in the items from the Dawn Treader set or these photomaps I have not seen before. Thanks for the finds, icarus!
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ceppault » Feb 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Yes. I know. Double post. But it has been over 24-hours and I think this is a cool update thanks to Icarus in this post. Finally found what I firmly believe is the location he mentioned in this post.

Found the investment property at http://www.lanerealty.com.au/lr11494b.html. NOT cheap. :-o Thank you, Icarus, for an intro to NearMaps; the location seen here.

I was not originally going to pin this location in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Production Locations, but this article at Goldcoast.com.au convinced me otherwise as it very publicly gives the physical address of this well known property. Keep in mind there is only one small reference, just like Moreton Island, as to the production filming here, but it certainly is a sensible conclusion.
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby IloveFauns » Feb 22, 2010 4:21 am

we did this whoel thing about Kokoda but i would be straying off topic and probalay bore you. I never even though that any of it would be shot in Papua New Guinea.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby ceppault » Mar 12, 2010 8:17 am

Added Purakaunui Bay, Catllins, New Zealand, to the LWW Production Locations. It looks like an outstanding campsite. :D

Location was filmed by 2nd Unit, providing a number of plates for CGI to place Cair Paravel. This beach is very likely the one Lucy catches her last glimpse of Aslan before PC.

Any other updates are usually me cleaning up grammar, spelling, and ensuring I have the location sites and information well documented. I want to ensure credit is given to where I find the information.
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Mar 18, 2010 6:11 am

Wow cool pictures everyone! I love that house ceppault. The water hole w/ the waterfall is stunning...I can just see that being on one of the islands!
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 18, 2010 1:29 pm

^^ yeah, I imagine it being Coriakin's garden! :D
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Mar 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Didn't we already have pictures of Coriakin's garden? I thought it was on a soundstage.
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady_Liln » Mar 21, 2010 12:37 pm

The maps are looking good, Cep!

I didn't see this on the VDT map already, so I thought I'd point it out. Icarus posted here has a link to a barge company. This company mentions a location, Raby Bay, that seems to be very close to Cleveland Point and was used for shooting.
TWF’s role on the latest Hollywood block buster to be produced on the coast, The Chronicles of Narnia, Dawn Treader was a great success. We played major supply roles on all three locations. The Gold Coast Seaway where we carried a camera and was used as a shooting platform for a number a scenes including a moving ‘rowing’ scene.
At Jumpin Pin we played a supply role bring in a serious amount of equipment to the set and at Raby Bay where we played a mobile supply platform for another water born shoot feeding supplies to 8 other vessels. [emphasis mine]

Yes, A_Narnian_Ship, Coriakin's garden is on a soundstage, at least as far as we know, they could splice some of each, but I doubt it would be from that house. Link.
Lady_Liln
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ceppault » Mar 21, 2010 4:36 pm

Lady_Liln wrote:The maps are looking good, Cep!

I didn't see this on the VDT map already, so I thought I'd point it out. Icarus posted ...
Thank you muchly! I am totally enjoying geeking out on these maps. :ymblushing: Icarus is fairly amazing finding all these things.

Thank you for pointing this out, Lady Liln, as it would have taken me a while to notice this. You rock too. :D I have added this as a placemark on the map here, as it strongly suggests a filming location away from the set on Cleveland Point.
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

PreviousNext