12 New Photos: Reepicheep On Set

Posted September 17, 2009 5:49 pm by Glumpuddle

Reep's stand-insTwelve more pictures are up at MundoNarnia.com, including a shot of Reepicheep’s stand-ins. My guess is that the more realistic stand-in is used for lighting reference, and the green one is what the actors interact with during the scenes. In post-production, the green stand-in will be erased, and then replaced with a computer-generated character (voiced by Eddie Izzard). Green and blue are often used for this because these colors are considered to be the “furthest away” from human skin tones, and so are easier for the computer to isolate and erase.

This first sighting of Reepicheep on set should excite fans, since his role in “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” is what made him the fan-favorite of the series.

Most of the photos show Ben Barnes talking to the crowd through the gate, and if you look at the bottom/right corner of one of them, you’ll see Douglas Gresham (co-producer, C.S. Lewis’ stepson).

View the photos here

What I want to know is… Which stand-in will be used for the scene where Eustace swings Reep around by his tail (if they include that scene)? Depending on how fast Eustace is swinging him, they might actually be able to get away with using the more realistic stand-in, and not using any CGI.

• MonkeySaru says:

It depends on the camera shots really. If they had a few close shots of Reep’s face – you know, those almost still shots where the camera is fixated on the character and you can see the blurring background behind as they’re swinging around? – then they’ll have to CGI him in so that we can see him shouting and yowling and fighting for his sword and all that good stuff.
      But I hadn’t really thought of the whole sequence just be from kind of a side-angle just watching Eustace swing this mouse around…I think that in order to make the right J-cuts in the film, they’d have to cut from focusing on Reepicheep to the outside shots a few times before the sequence ended. I can’t see it all just being the stand-in Reep swung around without any CGI.

• daughter of the King says:

Probably they’ll shoot it both ways and do a combination.

• NarniaNut says:

If they don’t put Eustace swinging Reepicheep by the tail I’m gonna freak out!!!

• Kris says:

Yeah same here! But I can see it being the type of scene they would cut out. I don’t know why lol. There were alot of scenes in PC that I said I would freak out over if they weren’t in the movie, and they weren’t! (and yes I was true to my word and freaked out!) I could see them replacing it with something made up like they did alot in PC. BUT this is a different director so who knows!

Yeah… It is such a memorable moment for those characters…

But, yeah, I can understand why it might be cut out. It’s one thing to write it… It’s another to visualize it. Might come across as weird on film.

• NarniaNut says:

I don’t think Reepicheep would appreciate being called ‘Reep’.

• Balin says:

They’re likely to do a lot of CGI, though I agree a few cuts of a CGI would make a stand in a lot more believable.

• BenBarnesGal says:

it doensnt relly look like reep =(

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

Wow! Cool pics! Nice close ups of Ben. And neat picture of Lucy on the Dawn Treader. I am so excited! I cannot wait for the movie!

Oh…and thank God this stand-in is brown, and not white. πŸ˜‰

• Glenstorm the Great says:

i agree πŸ˜€

• Narnia Lover says:

I also agree!

• Raticus says:

I see what you did there, ohohoho…

• aravistarkheena says:

Agree all the way!

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

Please don’t say "thank God" unless you really mean it.

• Jill Pole says:

I love G-d!(I do that(-) because I know that I’m not worthy enough to even WRITE His name. He trully IS good! I’m glad that He lets this production to be made! =) You guys are great Narnians! G-d be with you all!
        PS. Aslan represents G-d. Some of you probably already knew that. ‘Cause C. S. Lewis was a christian. Pretty cool, huh?

• daughter of the King says:

Very cool, Jill Pole.

um, jill, of course you can write it. if you are a child of God, then he will not mind if you say his name, let alone write it! dont ever feel you are not worthy enough to even say or write his name. you have every worth to do so, especially because he loves you.

• Aslan's Meadow says:

Agreed, Jesus died so we could freely claim that we are His child.

• Aslan=Jesus says:

Amen! I love your respect and awe for God, but he truly is our father. I think he loves to hear us say his name.

I mean it.

• Reepicheep3 says:

Yay I LOVE GOD YAY YAY YAY YAY he is AWESOME I LOVE HIM he is my Saver AND FRIEND!!!!!!!I AM happy to be a christian

• narniafan4ever says:

Jill; It’s okay to write His name. Yes, He is someone we are to respect, but it is okay to write His name. Like Aslan’s Meadow said; Jesus came and walked in our shoes, had the same temptations as we do, He was severely beaten, hated, and was put to death. He took the ‘wages of sin’ upon himself so that we can be children of God. And like Aslan=Jesus said; God is our Daddy. πŸ™‚ Big D of course. So, don’t be afraid that by writing His name that you are being disrespectful. πŸ™‚ He loves you and wants to be acknowledged as God. πŸ™‚ "Big G" God. πŸ™‚

• narniafan4ever says:

Jill Pole, just one correction….. Aslan actally represents Jesus. Aslan had to fulfill the "deep magic" which required death. Same with Jesus; He also came to fulfill the 10 commandments’ wages for sin, which also required death. C.S.Lewis used Edmund as an example of who we were before Aslan took His place. We were like Edmund…a traitor to God. We rejected His hope. But like Edmund, when we accept His (Jesus’) sacrifice, we are fogiven. πŸ™‚ I just thought I would clarify that….But I’m sure you already have make that connection. πŸ™‚

• Silver the Wanderer says:

Aww Reep! He’s so cute! (Reep: "Who said that?!") πŸ˜›

• Aslan's my homeboy says:

I see Georgie πŸ™‚

• Princess Arya says:

I’ve been waiting for more of Georgie. Haven’t seen her. But it’s cool seeing Reep!

• GlimGlum says:

Go Reep!

• -queenSUSAN- says:

Georgie is so CUTE!! I love her ponytail. πŸ˜›

• Weapon Master says:

I’m liking the look of this film more and more.

• Anonymous Narnian says:

Very cool! I was wondering when we’d get to see Reep on set. Good show.

• Anonymous Narnian says:

One more thing (I’m dangerous with the multiple comments option), I like Georgie’s look even more without the red jerkin on top of her white shirt. She looks almost angelic wearing only white (I’m done now. I think).

• Fire Fairy says:

I think you’re right. Georgie looks really good in white. And I love her hairstyle. I love the way they’ve been doing costuming in this movie. In the BBC version of VDT, the borrowed clothes Lucy wears look absolutely ridiculous and unrealistic (who would wear court clothes on a ship??? I mean, seriously!). The way they’ve done the costumes for this version seem much more realistic and practical.

• aravistarkheena says:

The costumes for everyone are lovely! I have taken a personal liking to Ben’s. I’m modeling him for halloween.

• NarniaNut says:

I love the costumes!Its just like my imagination is being made into a movie! πŸ™‚

i love her costume too. i love everyone’s costume, even eustace’s english clothes. by the way, is he ever changing? i mean, if he eases up on being in narnia on a ship he should change into narnian clothes. i think all the costumes look perfect for a narnia voyage. i was afraid they were going to have lucy where a narnian dress. not that i dont like them, but not on a ship, especially for the fact that there wouldnt be any dresses on the ship! but im really happy with her costume and hair. even if she’s wearing "men’s" clothes, she still looks so pretty!

• Eden says:

YAHOO! Pics of Reep! The cutie… *Giggles*
    And a nice pic of Georgie!! πŸ˜€ I like her hairstyle, it looks nice on her, and it’s nice to have something different than the last two movies. (Not that it matters… πŸ˜› )

Yeah, I like Georgie’s hair! It’s like pigtails or something, and I always imagined Lucy in pigtails. I do hope they switch costumes a few times in the movie, though, because having one outfit might be boring, even if it looks good.

• Eden says:

Yeah, it would get boring having only one costume the whole time. But I think they’ll change it at some point in the movie…
        The only thing is that it might be kinda hard to find nice clothes in the middle of the ocean! πŸ˜€

• McGunn says:

They will probably find some new clothes for Lucy before they leave Narrowhaven – it says in the book that they spend several days there to load the ship and get ready for the rest of their voyage.

• Eden says:

Oh ok, that’s good!

I’m hoping that Lucy will get a couple outfits in Narrowhaven, and maybe, if we’re lucky (I love costumes πŸ™‚ ) maybe she’ll get one when she’s with Coriakin, or one when she visits Ramandu’s island. That’s what I’m hoping, anyway. And I’m looking forward to Ramandu’s daughter’s costumes too. They should be lovely! (I hope)

• daughter of the King says:

The chapter after they leave the Lone Islands, it is mentioned that Lucy went shopping and bought seaboots and cloaks and a few other things. So they could use that and give her a whole wardrobe. Probably won’t, but…

• NarniaNut says:

They will probably give her a new one at the end;they ALwaYS do.

• wannawork4Weta says:

I still can’t believe that Reep would allow (being swung by his tail) this to happen.

• Eden says:

Well, Eustace IS at least 3 feet taller than him… πŸ˜›

• wannawork4Weta says:

But Eden, Reep is a warrior! He took down like, five Telemarines in 2 seconds by slashing their ankles! I have to believe that if he was picked up he would slash whomever was picking him up.

• daughter of the King says:

wannawork4weta, Reepicheep does pull out his sword and slash at Eustace’s hand.

• NarniaNut says:

And he was taken off guard;you know how nasty Eustace was at first! ;()

• wannawork4Weta says:

Yes, he was nasty. Perhaps I hold Reep to an impossibly high standard, as a Narnian, an invincible swordsman, (I know, he had his tail cut off) BUT I still want to ask Mr. Lewis why he wrote that bit in. It’s so degrading for the noble swordsman.

• daughter of the King says:

I think that was the point wannaworkforweta.

• wannawork4Weta says:

Naaahhhh…

• Eden says:

@wannawork4weta : Well, I’m sure he would have, IF Eustace wasn’t the Pevensie’s cousin. But since he was, I’m sure Lucy and Ed would have objected to him killing him. And I don’t think Reep would ever do anything against Ed or Lucy’s wishes. I think (IMHO πŸ˜€ ) that Reep would see it as dishonorable and disloyal… Although it was terribly degrading for Eustace to do that to Reep.

wannawork4weta, Lewis didnt write that to say anything about Reep, he wrote that to show a good description of eustace’s character and how mean and rude and nasty he was. Reep does a good job defending himself, afterall he couldnt kill eustace even if he wanted to because he was related to King Edmund and Queen Lucy.

• Jill Pole says:

Hah! He didn’t allow it. He’d never! Not Reep. Oh, how I just love my little buddy!

• ernesto torres chΓ‘vez says:

que bien lo hisieron a repechep salio bn

sisisisisisi bye

• Glenstorm the Great says:

i love the costumes and hair! so wonderful to get these pics!

• Sara says:

aww…I was going to say oh my God ! he is so cute but I remember the line Silver the Wanderer said in the movie " Who said that?" cannot wait for the movie next year.

• Narnia Lover says:

ALSOME! I love the pics! Can’t wait to see the move! SAIL ON VDT!!!

yay reepicheep! and wow! she got really close pics of ben. i love that picture that shows georgie looking out over the edge. i cant tell if they’re acting or not in that pic, but its cool.

• Narnianheart (narniafan#1) says:

wow! Those are all really cool. Ben has got REALLY long hair. But it still looks cool. πŸ˜‰

• greenbird37 says:

Wow! how exciting! thats a cute pic of Georgie! Go Reep!

• JadistarkilleR says:

i saw the Ben Barnes photos earlier on another site, didnt know they were holding out on Reep from me. grrr :p

its good seeing Georgie on a fan spy photo that we can post. she is turning out to be quite a heart breaker, just look at her! πŸ™‚

and full stop! who is that next to Georgie? the one holding an apple? that looks like a child! is that the 8-9 yr old girl that was said to be on the ship? its certainly not a dwarf character– the hands are a dead giveaway. theres no way to tell if they were shooting or not, but that other girl cant be denied this time. of course it can be a production crew member, but those hands are not hands of an adult.

I know! I was looking at the pictures, and I’m like, who is that?? Another girl? The only reason I can think of her being there, is if the Narnians bought her in the lone islands, and invited her along. Or maybe she’s just temporarily visiting….. I guess we’ll just have to wait and find out. Hopefully it won’t change the story.

• NarniaNut says:

I don’t think Gresham would allow that.(changing the story,I mean) πŸ™‚

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

umm… look at what happened in PC. I wouldn’t say that just yet.

• Aslan=Jesus says:

Does anyone know how much power Douglas Gresham has? I mean, can he say whether or not they can change things? It would seem he wouldn’t have allowed alot of changes in the first 2 movies if he had any say in it.

• Bother Eustace says:

Yes, there is definitely another in the sixth photo, I saw that myself. Who’s the man with grey hair in the same photo? At first I though it was Apted, but he appears to be in costume (unless I’m mistaken – my computer won’t open the pics full-sized, so I don’t know for sure).
      Could the old man be Lord Bern, and the be his daughter? I suggested something like this on the forum before this photo came out. If that’s Lord Bern, maybe the idea has some merit.

(P.S. I normally comment on News Stories as Crimson Dragon, but I decided to switch over to my forum name, it’s about time I do.)

• daughter of the King says:

Maybe it’s Georgie’s stunt double? Kind of hard to tell from this angle.

• Zoe says:

The two were filming together, though. Maybe she’s the young girl dufflepud that originally said the invisibility spell? That woudn’t explain why she’s on the ship, though.

• Narniamiss says:

That would be an interesting twist, but I’m not sure that’s it. I do wonder, though…

• InLoveWithAslan says:

Good pictures of Ben and Georgie! Her hair and costume looks amazing!!!

• yeswelovenarnia says:

oh absolutely awesome!!!!!! I really wish I could be there!!! "Oh my gosh he’s soooooo cute!!!!!!" Reep: "Who said that??"

• coracle in London says:

Who else has noticed how much Georgie resembles Anna in that shot? She hasn’t got Anna’s mouth, but her hair, eyes and facial expression are SO Susan in PC.
    Can’t wait to see more !!

• Embrace says:

I have a GOOD feeling about this! πŸ™‚

• ernesto torres chΓ‘vez says:

hapy boy is ernesto

gracias por aver compartido la foto de repechep

nice pics!

• King Skandar the Just says:

nice pictures! I love the pics of Ben!

• daughter of the King says:

Great pictures!

• WarriorQueen says:

Yay! A good picture of Georgie finally!

• georgiefan1 says:

yay!!!! Georgie pictures!!!!!

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

Yay Reep!

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

And WHAT is with Caspian’s PURPLE shirt?!?

• Rachel_Newberry says:

thats so awesome!.
    hey, maybe reepicheep in some shots will be animatronic!.
    i cant wait 4 it 2 come out in december next year, me and my sister are gonna go,and bring a friend with us (she dosent like narnia, but she said she’d go,we’re gonna get her off of twilight and into narnia more)
    I love the pics of ben, and the pics of georgie are great too! πŸ˜‰

• Rashoonka says:

i cant wait 2 go c it!!!!

• Lady of the Green Kirtle says:

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see Georgie in any of these pictures. Could someone please tell me where to look

• ernesto torres chΓ‘vez says:

que pongan una trailer de repechep por favor

• Savber100 says:

*thinking about the BBC version of Reepicheep*

shudder… a lot of things have changed since then. πŸ˜›

• Lucy says:

I love how Lucy’s clothes look like! πŸ™‚

• Tauriel says:

I never thought I’d say this aloud, but… Damn, Ben Barnes is so sexy in the beard and the long hair with a pigtail in the back! πŸ˜€

• Aliea says:

When they finish the movie… Will they be selling the Stand-in? if so… How much!? LOL! it’s SOOOOOOOOO Cute! (not the green one though…)

• random. says: