New Dawn Treader Filming Report

Posted September 13, 2009 8:37 am by starkat

Narnia Web member ellz_bellz visited the set and sent in this report:
A picture of the set

UPDATE: You can view her pictures here.

I took a trip to the set today, and was absolutely AMAZED by what I saw. First, as we pulled in on the Shuttle Bus, there were about fifty locals watching, and a few pressed up against the fence. Overshadowing them all was the Dawn Treader herself. You really have to see it to appreciate just how beautiful it is. They were in the process of filming a scene were a dragon lands on the mast.

The Crew were armed with TELMARINE crossbows (I could recognise the eagle head), and were instructed to fire at the dragon. They all wore Telmarine style shirts and vests, and some wore beanie-like caps. Amoung them all was one black minotaur (Shane Rangi?) and a Faun that I remembered from Prince Caspian. I caught a glimpse of Ben Barnes, wearing a shirt similar to his cream shirt in PC, with black pants.

Jeff “O” (I can’t spell his second name) is the man who we have been hearing over the loudspeaker, not Michael Apted, as first thought. I got some great footage of the boat rocking from side to side, and the crew scrambling all over it. Jeff O started each take with “Rolling!…And he’s landing on the mast! What he doing up there!?…Fire at him, You’re firing at him, and…HIT! And he’s falling, he’s in the water!…And he’s back up again, he’s cricling the ship, he’s at the front, he’s t the front, and he’s off, back to island, and he’s gone… Cut”

We met a few people on the way. I saw the doubles for Ben, Georgie, Will and Skandar. I didn’t see Georgie or Will, but my sister was pretty sure she spotted Skandar chatting with Michael Apted while I was away.

While I was checking out the crew with my binoculars, one of the guys spotted me, and aimed his crossbow at us. I pulled out a sign my friend and I had made that said “YAY” and held it up, He laughed and gave me the thumbs up.

I noticed that there was a small girl (8 or 9) walking around et. SHe was dressed like a telmarine, and had her hair done “Narnianish”.

But, the most incredible thing that happened was when we were heading back fromlunch, we spotted none other than DOUGLAS GRESHAM himself. I had seen him walking around set, and had a bit of a freak-out. But he quite literally just strolling around the open area, out of the gates, in his trade-mark high pants and cap. I immediately walked up to him and asked if he was Douglas Gresham (even though I was sure he was). He looked so surprised on being recognized, but replied that he was. We then asked for a photo and stopped for a chat. He was SO NICE, talking to us like we were good friends, and informed us that the set looked fantastic, and that they were ahead of schedule for the day. We then asked if the dragon “attacking” the boast was Eustace, which confirmed was (he looked even more suprised by the fact we knew what was going on!). After saying good bye and skipping off, I realised that My camera hadn’t captuured our photo. I ran back, and asked for another photo, we he instantly agreed to. He then asked for our names, and said it was very nice to meet us. All in all, a lovely man.

Most of the videos I took have me talking through them, but there are a couple of good ones. I’ll include then one were I first spot Doug, and freak out.

I will advise all people in the area to go check it out!

• The Bulgy Bear says:

Awesome! Can’t wait to see this (I don’t mind a little action 😉 ).

• Griffle says:

Me neither, this film needs a little action…as long as it is PG suitable action of course. 😉

• liz says:

i hope theres a pic or video ben going in the water 2 save his friends lol

• graycsc says:

I don’t think there’s a problem with action, I just think there’s a problem with everyone being on the ship and not the island when they first encounter Eustace as a dragon

• Aravis(narniafan#1) says:

I TOTALLY agree! I LOVE action. What’s wrong with it? I mean, c’mon! You can’t miss action in a narnian movie! And I agree with liz. I do hope they get a video or pics on ben saving the pevs and eustace! Sail on, Dawn Treader! CANNOT wait 4 the MOVIE!!! (pulling hair) AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Aravis(narniafan#1) says:

Thank goodness the guy didn’t accidentally let go of the trigger! lol. thanks, ellez_bellez!

• narnialover101 says:

The Problem with having action in VDT is that it’s NOT in the book; the book isn’t about action. Some action is not a bad thing, but making extensive additions to the book for the sake of adding action is pointless.

• graycsc says:

I completely agree narnialover101. There is some action in the book, and it’s just enough. It’s not about action and the filmmakers shouldn’t change it to put in action like they did in PC, which didn’t need it either

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

I don’t generally like action for action sake. The story must continue to be told, and in VDT action would get in the way of that.

i think that though the book isnt this "bad guy good guy fighting and such", lewis did put in plenty of action to compliment the story, since its not a fighting-saving story. so i dont think they really need to add too much action, or else it will not balance with the story. afterall, the whole thing to focus on in this story is their exploration.

• skandyfan says:

absolutely cool! I hoped there would be more action in the movie than in the book!
    Can anyone tell me why andrew doesn´t make this movie??

• Griffle says:

I think i remember reading somthing about him wanting to be with his family. He’s producing the film though, so that doesn’t really make sense. 😉

• Griffle says:

No satyr aboard today I guess. 😉 (There was a satyr in a photo from an earlier set visit report)…So, we have a faun, a minotaur and a satyr plus Reepicheep and a crew wearing telmarine armour… If you think about it; would it really have hurt if they’d decided to let Trumpkin onboard as well?

• A_Narnian_Ship says:

YES!!! The book clearly states several times that Trumpkin is at Cair Paravel as Lord Regent. Having Trumpkin would’ve been a major change to the book and would have upset many fans.

• daughter of the King says:

The real problem with the idea of having Trumpkin on the Dawn Treader is because of his role in Silver Chair. If he knew Eustace, that role would be compromised.

you are exactly right about that! the whole scene in silver chair would be messed up if he knew him beforehand.

• Trufflehunter says:

Maybe they don’t plan on making the Silver Chair (which would be terrible because I like it as much as VDT) and maybe thats why they were considering adding Trumpkin. It couldn’t mess up his role if he didn’t have a role because they didn’s make the movie! But they should!!! 🙂

• Princess Arya says:

Thank you! I love it!! So it IS Eustace!? (NarniaWebbers are sure smart!) :))

• 7chronicles says:

Wow you got to meet Douglas Gresham, that’s awesome. It can’t get much better then that! So the Dragon is Eustace, I thought it probably was but it’s nice to actual know! Thanks for your report ellz_bellz!

• Johnny T says:

Jeff "O" – that’s maybe Jeff Okabayashi. He is the AD (Assistant Director) of the movie.

• LucyP0104 says:

Oh, how exciting! So it really is Eusace? Great! I wonder about that girl, though…could she have gotten the highest bid on that VODT set trip auction a while back?

• AJAiken says:

Great report! I can’t wait to see some more of the pictures and videos …

• Karine says:

I very much enjoyed reading your report, ellz_bellz, thank you!

• simon law says:

eustace is the dragon? Interesting, i hope he won’t be too seriously hurt

• daughter of the King says:

Since he was apparently able to fly off after they fired at him I don’t think it’s too serious.

• Trufflehunter says:

Sound’s really, really cool! And it does make sense that Eustace would attack the ship. Afterall, he was mad at Edmund and Caspian. If anyone talks to another crew member, PLEASE ask them what color Eustace as a dragon will be. I really hope he is green in the book! Blue would be too much like Eragon, and red too much like Shrek! 🙂

• TumnusTheBrave says:

where’s the video…?

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

Oh my Gosh! You met Douglas Gresham! You are so lucky! That is one of my dreams to meet him. Oh my gosh! I thought it was Eustace and I’m so looking forward to seeing that scene in the film! Oh yeah what color will Eustace be? Green or red I hope. Preferably green he strikes more green to me.

• ellz_bellz says:

Hahahahaha, you guys should’ve seen how much I freaked out when I saw him just walking around. I was like, "OMG ITS DOUGLAS GRESHAM! RIGHT THERE!

• HappyGiant says:

*is horribly jealous* I’d give anything to be you, ellez_bellez…

• always narnian says:

Cool . =)

• aravistarkheena says:

Hmm… I wonder what this will turn out like… A girl about 8 or 9… Telmarine armor and crossbows… A dragon attacking the ship… This sounds great! Thanks a lot for this!

• Peter's little sister says:

That is so neat! Thanks for telling us about it ellez_bellez! I would love to live near enough to go and see the set for a day or so like that! The whole thing sounds very exciting, I can’t wait till it comes out!!

• daughter of the King says:

And once again I want to live in Australia!
    I also would love to meet Mr. Gresham, he’s sounds very nice.
    A girl about 8 or 9, I can’t think of anything that goes along with that…..
    Wild guess here, the reason Georgie and Ben weren’t seen, maybe they aren’t in this scene? Caspian and co. are on the island and Eustace flies over the ship to try to find them and the crew they left behind fires at him? And then he flies back to the island and finds the rest of them.

• true-narnian_queen says:

Icant believe you met Douglas Gresham you are so lucky!!! i wish i could meet him and i wish i could be there on set that would be AWSOME!! SAIL ON DAWN TREADER!!!!

• Michael_Hicks says:

I don’t think Eustace the dragon is attacking the Dawn
    Treader, I think the dragon trying to get the crew to
    recognize that he is Eustace and has been "dragonfied".
    I imagine that, like in the book, the landing party wakes
    up to find a dragon between themselves and the shore
    but in our movie Caspian and the Narnians are able to
    make it back to the ship. Eustace tries to follow but
    is repelled, and we almost believe that he is going to
    have to live a lonely life all by himself as a dragon.
    Reepicheep, of course, convinces Caspian to return to
    the island to avenge the death of Eustace and the story
    continues as before!

I hope the scene plays out along those lines. I could live with those changes. Poor Eustace 🙁 I hope they don’t hurt him too bad. I’m a sucker for bad people turning good (which is why I like the minotaurs) and I love dragons. I hope they do Eustace’s transformation into a nice person is done well.

• graycsc says:

I really hope it’s not like that, it would be nothing like the book. It could work if Eustace flies over the boat thinking they’re about to leave him, only to find it’s just the part of the crew that stayed on the ship while the rest went on to the island. The crew on the island are away from the beach searching for him, so he doesn’t see them and thinks they’re all on the ship about to leave him. He gets to the ship and after being shot at, he goes back to the island, lands on the beach, and encounters Caspian and the rest coming back to the beach after their search.

• A_Narnian_Ship says:

Sounds just about right, Michael_Hicks. That would be a good way to do it

• ernesto torres chávez says:

esta bien gracias por presentar sus imagenes de ustedes bye

• NarniaWarrior says:

Thanks for the report…all the pieces are coming together…Doug Gresham…is he taller than his photos? Long Live Aslan !!!

• Eden says:

Awesome report! Can’t wait to see more!

• Lucille Brown says:

Now I wonder will Eustace actually thinking about attacking the ship or will everyone just think he is.

Ah, I thought it sounded like Jeff!

• WarriorQueen says:

Wow! Exciting!

• dw4 says:

sounds cool. but i DON’t like eustace attacking the ship. even as a dragon.

• dw4 says:

THAT would be a major change for me.

• Silver the Wanderer says:

I really don’t think he’s attacking the ship, guys. Picture yourself as one of the crewmen. You’re onboard the Dawn Treader, and all of a sudden, this dragon comes out of the blue and starts flying toward you. Wouldn’t you panic? The crewmen only think that EustaceDragon is attacking the ship because they don’t know who he really is yet.

• King Skandar the Just says:

Wow!! I would love to meet Douglas Gresham! I wish I lived near where they’re filming!

• Mark Friedrich says:

It will be interesting to see this version of VOD I don’t thing I’ve ever heard of haard of a dragon attackin the dawntreder. Are they sure that it’s a dragon. maybe the mistook it for the sea surpent. The Sea Surpent is in the book. And Yes in the book Eustace does turn in to a dragon for a time.

i acn’t belive you met DOUG GRESHAM! you are so lucky to be there! i would do ANYTHING to be there!!!! are they adding the scene where eustace is "attacking" the ship? ’cause i don’t remember that.

maybe he’s not "attacking" the ship, but trying to get their attention or tell them something. i dont think eustace would ever "attack" the ship at this point.

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

That’s what I’m thinking. Like in the book, he’s on the beach just waiting for them, and the crew (being wary and all) advanced with swords drawn etc..

• Edmund P says:

Oh gosh, I hope that they haven’t added a little girl to be on the Dawn Treader…So the Dragon is Eustace! I’m not too surprised, but at least we know now.

You met Douglas Gresham?!?!? That’s awesome! 🙂

perhaps the little girl is for a scene on one of the inhabited islands, although it is strange that she would be wearing a "telmarine" outfit. or maybe they just mistook it for that, and its just a normal outfit.

• graycsc says:

That makes sense and I hope it’s true but then what would she be doing there while they’re filming a scene on the ship and only near an uninhabited island?

• yeswelovenarnia says:

AWESOME!!!! you met douglas gresham?????!!!! AWESOME!!!! (I’m glad they are ahead of schedule!!!)

• Narniamiss says:

Haha, I can’t believe you got to talk to Douglas. That is awesome. More awesome than visiting the set. Very cool. Glad to know for sure that it is Eustace as a dragon attacking/passing by the ship. Even though it will be an added scene, I am looking forward to seeing it.

this is awesome! so much news! that is so cool that they met doug gresham! that would be who i want to meet out of everyone else. i would ask him all these questions of c.s. lewis, and ask if he had any pointers for writing fantasy, which i do best. man, im amazed at how much there is in this article. i wonder what that little girl was for? and i wonder why eustace is "attacking" the ship. they better not make it far from the book! they better not mess up the whole eustace-dragon thing! the just better not!!! i dont think though he would be "attacking" the ship. he’s probably trying to get their attention or something, but what i dont understand is why are they on the ship while he’s still a dragon? they dont leave that island until they find him and he returns to normal.

• Tamara says:

ohh wow! what day was this? im spewin i missed out on it!!

• Lucy the Valiant says:

WOW…you actually talked to Doug!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Conga rats! 😀 I am glad he confirmed the dragon is Eustace, even though I would MUCH rather that they meet him on the island. Hopefully they then go to the island and that’s where the *actual* meeting takes place. Cause I like the whole dragon tear and Reep part there. I can’t believe Doug confirmed it was Eustace though….he probably didn’t expect that news to make it onto a website like this! 😀

• Reepicheep the fearless says:

Wow! I’m practicly speechless!

• Countess Shamira says:

Thanks for the pics!

• K. J. Hill says:

awesome!

haha! i would react the same way she did if i had seen douglas gresham too!

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

Sweet! It’d be cool to meet Douglas Gresham. (Better yet, C.S. Lewis, but he’s dead, so I guess I’ll have to wait till I get to Heaven…. ;D )
    But what’s with the TELMARINE stuff??

• HappyGiant says:

This is so totally awesome!

4 Trackbacks / Pingbacks for this entry