The Mysterious Little… Boy?

Posted September 26, 2009 2:50 pm by Glumpuddle

Over the past week or two, the forum has been buzzing with speculation on who the Mysterious Little Girl (Gael) is, and where she fits into the story. Is she a freed slave? Is she Rhince’s daughter? Why is she on the ship during the dragon attack? What does the damaged railing have to do with it? Who is “mommy”? Nothing is certain.

Just when we thought it couldn’t get more confusing, the Goldcoast.com.au reports that the Mysterious Little Girl is actually played by a boy, Jorel Reynolds. Read the story here. It is possible that Reynolds is just the MLG’s stunt double. Let the speculation continue!
UPDATE!: Looks like Goldcoast.com.au has edited their story to clear up the conclusion: It now clearly says that Reynolds “has landed his first stunt-double role.” Sorry, Shakespeare fans. Reynolds will just be doing the stunts.

Thanks to ‘Narniamiss.’

If they did indeed hire a stuntman for the role (and a male one at that), that would strongly imply that this will be a very minor character. If it was a big part, they would hire a legit actor…and a female actor.
    But I think it very likley that Reynolds is just the MLG’s stunt double. But if not, Shakespeare would be proud.

• daredevil says:

The article does actually say that he has "landed his first stunt double role", so there isnt really much of a debate about it.

• Narniamiss says:

Glad it’s no longer confusing; I was kind of wondering myself if we would see a boy with a brown wig on. πŸ˜€

• Gregory says:

Well, the answer to that question is "Yes, we will see a boy with a brown wig on." But only during stunts.

• Duffleglum says:

Whew! Seriously, I would feel kinda sick if Reynolds played as a girl the whole time she’s on screen πŸ˜›
        But now I’m impressed they didn’t make a young girl go over-board

Hm, there ARE gentlemen in Hollywood! πŸ˜€

• Aravis(narniafan#1) says:

Well let’s hope it’s her stunt double! It’s bad enough for all these changes. I’m SO frustrated with these changes, but I could live with them in PC (though I was still mad, it would be a good movie without the book) I can’t wait 4 the movie to come out!!!! Still freaked out. But excited!
      Aslan is on the Move!

• Lissi says:

I sure hope Jorel Reynolds is just a stunt double. It would be really awkward seeing a little girl played by a boy…

• random person says:

are your my mummy?
    are you my mummy? are you my mummy?

what the heck?

• Sammie says:

lol. I assume it was a reference to the episodes "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" from the new Doctor Who series – which, ironically, happen at the same time as "LWW" – during the London Blitz.

• Tauriel says:

DOCTOR!!! πŸ˜€

• WillMosleyandSkandarcrush! says:

Ha! Funny, but that was REALLY random. I saw one that was "are yo my daddy?!" It was cool. And shocked by this news. Hope it doesn’t turn into a disgrace like Prince Caspian.
      Surprised and Confused,
      a fellow Narnian.

• The Voice Of Truth says:

You know, to veiwers who haven’t read the book, PC is awesome! I know that cause a friend of mine has only seen the movies and loves them (but she thinks the books are boring. Oh, please -rolls eyes-)

• narniafan4ever says:

Yeah, I have heard the same thing. But, I think that in order for a movie to deserve the name of the book, it needs to be as close to the book, plot and story wise, as it can be. Otherwise, at least in my opinion, it shouldn’t have the name of the book. Just my thoughts….

• WillMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

Luv the name, Voice of Truth…

• Giuliano says:

Very interesting … in any case sooner or later we will know everything about everyone when the film will be released in 2010

• fantasia_kitty says:

I’m sure Jorel is just the stunt double rather than the character actor. But even if he is playing Gael the whole time, I still don’t think it would be a problem. We’ve seen dozens of pics of Gael jumping off the boat and no one noticed she was a boy.

• GlimGlum says:

I think the MLG is a giantess from The Silver Chair in dwarf form who thinks she is a dufflepud. πŸ˜€

• Fire Fairy says:

I have to say, that is the most unique explanation I’ve heard yet.

• Bother Eustace says:

Yup, I’m all for that idea. That’s got to be it. Makes about as much sense as any other speculation at this point… πŸ˜›

• WillMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

Totally do NOT agree. Sorry if I offended you, but that’s the worst idea I’ve heard so far. It’s just…*gags* So Sorry. But just does not go with me.
        Aslan is on the Move!

• Aravis(narniafan#1) says:

Agree, WillandSkandarcrush! I’m glad someone doesn’t like that idea. I didn’t say anything cause I was hoping I wasn’t the only one who hates this idea. GlimGlum, TERRIBLY sorry, but i "hate" the idea.

• Ima Narnian says:

Glad to hear someone hates it. Glim Glum, sorry to say, but that’s horrible thinking! Just weird…

• All4Narnia says:

Sorry, I accidentally put my reply at the far bottom twice. It says, "Glim Glum, not a good one…"

• William Moseley Fan*sighs* says:

Sorry, my reply was at the bottom too like All4Narnia. It says, "I’m sad you think that, Glim Glum."

• JesusFreak! says:

I’m sorry, but my reply is at the bottom as well for some reason. (???) Wonder why. But anyway, it says"Agree with WillMoseleyandSkandrcrush(wow long time to type:) Not with the name, but the comment. (I’m a boy so that’d be weird if I had a crush on them πŸ™‚ Bad idea, Glim Glum…"

• Lover of Jesus says:

Hate the idea…

• GlimGlum says:

Obviously I was joking in an outrageous manner. πŸ™‚

• Duffleglum says:

Your funny GlimGlum! Everyone was taken off guard by your comment πŸ˜›

• daughter of the King says:

He must be MLG’s stunt double. He doesn’t look anything like the pictures we’ve seen.

• DruidDream says:

what?????
    I would have never expect that.
    Surely he is the doble. Or maybe it means that is a minor character, as glumpuddle says….. i hope it is.

Also, this make me think that maybe the scene where Gael jumps from the DT is on the Dark island scene, maybe

• Princess Arya says:

Pippin in LotR had a female stunt double (I think for the hobbit size). I’m just mentioning it in case people want to speculate about it in comparison πŸ˜‰

• NarniaWarrior says:

No way…if you watch the videos SHE is acting the way a little girl acts when the camera is not running…matbe once she goes overboard..but not in the video we have seen…NO WAY !!!! Long Live Aslan and little girls !!!

• TumnusTheBrave says:

oh that sucks we though he was a she the whole time

• Aravis Tarkheena says:

I was a bit wooried for a second, but if you read the artical,see the picture of him, and try to remember what MLG looks like he is defenatly her stunt double.

• TumnusTheBrave says:

hey it shows u some photos of narnia set and such

• WarriorQueen says:

I’m pretty sure he’s a stunt double. If you look at the photo of Georgie and Gael (in the Dawn Treader Crew in Armor story) fiddling with their hands, you can obviously tell Gael is played by a girl. Only girls stand around doing funny hand things like that. πŸ™‚

• narniafan4ever says:

He /has/ to be her stunt double. Otherwise, that would just be….well….weird. I am hoping that this means she is a minor part. I don’t really want to see this movie stray from the book.

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

He must be her stunt double! It would be too weird if she was boy. It would be really wrong. I hope your right WarriorQueen. Gael has just gotta be girl.

• Princess Arya says:

It looked soo like a girl in the video. Perhaps she didn’t jump right and they called in a stunt double; meaning we haven’t seen the boy do anything yet.

• Mark Friedrich says:

What, you got to be kidding me!
    That isn’t right.

• Fire Fairy says:

If you read the article, it actually says that Joel landed his first STUNT-DOUBLE job in VDT. He’s definitely MLG’s stunt double! The article also talks about him following in his stunt double dad’s footsteps! I was a bit nervous at first as well, but now I’m fine. No need to freak out, everybody!

• 7chronicles says:

The article reads: "Eight years later the Biggera Waters Primary School student has landed his first stunt-double role — on the set of locally shot Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, alongside his dad.
    Jorel plays a young girl named Gael and has to jump off a ship." End quote

To me this totally sounds like it means he is playing the part of MLG just during the part where the character jumps off the ship. And that’s it.

• Lutra's Pearl says:

Did it say that his dad was in that movie or another one? If he is in this one is he Rhince jumping off the ship.

• bkey says:

The article says that he got a "stunt-double role" in the movie. I think it’s safe to say he only plays Gael in the scene where she jumps off the ship.

• I am the man says:

That would be pretty bad to have to wear a dress.

• yeswelovenarnia says:

WOW ok weird, now i am really confused.

I think this whole MLG thing (not just the boy stunt-double, but the whole thing) is the weirdest thing I’ve seen during any of the Narnia film productions. There is just so much controversy and speculation. When will we finally have the answers? WHERE WILL IT ALL END???
    πŸ˜›

• narnia365 says:

Wow… that’s confusing… what next? Lucy isn’t played by Georgie, but by her twin sister that just came out of a coma??? lol, jk… : )

• GlimGlum says:

I still think the MLG in the videos is the actual actress. Sometimes an actor will do the first part of a stunt, the easy and safe part; like jumping 3-4 feet unto a big soft mattress or something else equally soft and safe. Then the stunt double will do the harder, more dangerous part like actually jumping off a ship or set and hitting the water.

Jorel Reynolds may have done his stunt at a completely different location with the second unit and with a different angle and or farther away. Wouldn’t be surprised if Arthur Angel has a stunt double as well for that shot. At least that is what I think will be the actual case. πŸ™‚

• Fire Fairy says:

I think that’s a very reasonable explanation, GlimGlum. It’s good to see that some people have a head on their shoulders and don’t get freaked out by the littlest things. πŸ˜‰

• Eden says:

I totally agree GlimGlum, great explanation!

• Lucy says:

I can’t belive that the MLG is played by a boy!

• Shy Galadriel says:

Is it possible that the video we saw was not the stunt shot??

wow! thats something to be shocked at. i suppose they couldnt have the little girl do that jump. so that means that the character is still being played by a girl but not doing any jumps or such. interesting. it says he’s working alongside his dad, so that means his dad must be working on the set too. cool. i never thought they would have something like that. the only thing i feel sorry for is that he would have to where a dress at a point, that probably bugs him i bet.

• burnswood says:

that’s a bit sexist. Since i no plenty(such as my sister) who could do that jump.

• true-narnian_queen says:

Lets not get carried away with this here okay!! i mean we should trust them and it probably is her stunt double because if she jumps of the boat, it makes since!

• Sammie says:

Doing stunts is not always about the danger of the stunt or even the fears or ability of the actor. Sometimes it is a legal issue. In the 1995 "Pride and Prejudice" miniseries, Colin Firth was not permitted by insurance to do a simple dive into a lake; the lake had some weird stuff in it. They hired a stunt double.

• GlimGlum says:

Good point by Sammie about the insurance angle. I’m sure that it varies from film to film and what would be involved and who the insurer is. πŸ™‚

• RumbleBuffinTheStrong says:

weird.

• InLoveWithAslan says:

Ok. Interesting.

• Lucy&Reepicheep says:

I think the boy is just her stunt double.

• Braden Woodburn says:

Whoa, very interesting.

• Silver the Wanderer says:

Ahhh *sigh of relief* I’m glad that’s all cleared up. For a second, I was afraid we were going to have to start calling her "MLB" instead πŸ˜‰

• burnswood says:

why get a boy top play a girl when their are plenty of girls who would like to act in narnia but way less female characters in VDT.

• always narnian says:

That’s really….strange….

• Mie says:

OMG..that’s…awesome..

• Goliath says:

I wonder if the little girl is actually Lucy seeing herself at a younger age in the Island of Dreams

• coracle says:

I am quite sure that the role is not being played by a boy, so stop worrying, everyone! πŸ™‚
    The explanation given by Glim Glum, that the girl has done a basic jump onto a mattress, and the boy has done the jump into the water, makes good sense to me!

• Edmund-is-hot says:

OMG!
    Lol!
    You can’t tell it’s a boy if it isn’t a stunt double

• Eden says:

For a minute there, I was like "WHAT THE…?" And then I read the story….
    I think it’s pretty much made very clear that the boy is ONLY the stunt double. The scenes without stunts (Which are most of them) are played by a girl. πŸ™‚

• Mark Sommer says:

I thought something was missing when I saw the story last night. I have always thought Gael was more than a bit part, which is why she was apparently cast early rather than by the "casting call." ("Gael’s Mum" is listed in the casting call, but not Gael.) For my take on who Gael might be, see http://www.examiner.com/x-17507-Hobbits-Narnia–Spirituality-Examiner~y2009m9d22-Mysterious-addition-to-the-Dawn-Treader-cast

• Sammie says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Georgie at one point had a male stunt double, very briefly. Towards the end of "PC", when she finally meets Aslan, her horse rears up, and the fall was done by a guy. Georgie said in the commentary that she had a riding double, Hannah, and then a guy came in to do the fall; they had a picture together in costume, and Georgie said that he said, "Look at me, all proud to be a girl."

• Princess Arya says:

I saw behind the scenes on that. I didn’t hear that in particular, but I knew that they used a horse contraption for the close-up shots of Georgie during that scene. Since the close-up shots weren’t the whole scene, they had to have used a riding double. She apparently didn’t know how to ride, although everyone else did.

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

I still need to watch the commentary… keep on hearing of interesting things that went on.

• narnian says:

perhaps the person on the ship with georgie really was a girl, maybe the " stunt" they r talking about is somthing after the "jumping scene", maybe, like, she’s falling into the water or somthing? ( i don’t know, just guessing)

• narniafan4ever says:

Yeah, my guess is that the boy will be use for the footage of Gael actually hitting the water. Like a shot from behind. But, the Gael in the video is definitely a girl. πŸ™‚

• spottedmask says:

First there is M.L.G., now there is M.L.B, hu kinda strange.I smell something stunty.

he MUST be the double for her!

• Narnia Girl says:

Um…wow. That was definitely unexpected, to say the least.

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

Interesting… I thought those days were… well, WAY behind us now…. Oh, well. That’s an interesting story at any rate!

• aravistarkheena says:

Hmmm…. Stunt double or actor…..

• King Skandar the Just says:

It says on the website that he’s her stunt double.
    I kind of feel bad that the boy has to wear a dress and wig, and I totally thought that it was a girl! Well…the mommy’s name is Elaine I guess

Please read the update, NWebbers! The confusion has been cleared up. Goldcoast edited their story.

• Narnian Ricky says:

It does look like a stunt double.

• All4Narnia says:

GlimGlum, not a good one…

• All4Narnia says:

Glim Glum, not a good one…

• William Moseley Fan*sighs* says:

I’m sad you think that, Glim Glum.

• JesusFreak! says:

Agree with WillMoseleyandSkandarcrush(long time to type:). Not with your name, but with the comment(I’m a boy, so it’d be weird if I had a crush on them πŸ™‚ Bad idea, GlimGlum.

• Elizabeth says:

who is MLG?i dont recall reading about a mysterious little girl in VDT! Prince Caspian was not a disaster either!! I love that movie better than the first! I can’t wait for VDT!!!

• narniafan4ever says:

MLG is a character that the script-writer added…at least that is our best guess as to who she is. We don’t know much more than that.
      Yes, i loved Prince Caspian, too. But, it didn’t follow the book that well at all! And I personally don’t want them adding too much to this movie either. Yes, they might need to build up some of the scenes in order to make it "action-filled" but the book itself is great. πŸ™‚

• HighTrinitythesilentwarriour says:

Scriptures said (no offense) That A girl Dress as a Boy is WRONG!

• MLGIsABoy says:

Why is there speculation over a damaged railing when there is a stray dragon around?