Caspian Loses His Accent for VDT

Posted May 18, 2010 12:37 pm by fantasia_kitty

BenBarnesFan was sent a scan yesterday of an interview between Kingston University’s student magazine, ‘Mouth’ and Ben Barnes.

Mouth Magazine: How did it feel reprising your role as (the now) King Caspian?

Ben Barnes: It was a great experience reprising the role. It’s a different take on the character with a new director and new studio invovled. We decided that Caspian and the Telmarines will no longer have European accents, as they felt CS Lewis is a quintessentially an English writer. The story is my favourite of the seven books and it has a feel of a roving, mythical, adventure tale.

The Telmarine accent in Prince Caspian got a lot of mixed reviews from fans and critics alike. As the accent has now been removed for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, it should be interesting to see how everybody reacts.

Thanks to ‘Cass’, ‘Sir Jack’, and ‘bkey’ for the information!

Visit the ForumHave a comment or want to chime in on this news story? Check out the NarniaWeb Forum for some fantastic discussion. Just click here to post your comments. We look forward to seeing you on the forum! Here’s a quick preview of the forum discussion:

No Items Available

Unfortunately there appears to be no news items on the page you have requested logged here

• Em says:

Hmm. I was actually quite horrified the first time I saw and heard Caspian. But after, like, a few years I’ve pretty much just grown used to him. I’m kinda glad to hear that they’re doing away with his cheesy accent, but, at the same time, I can’t stand that they’re going to do something that would interrupt the flow of the movies in such a way. I guess I’ll just have to hope that they do something to explain it away in the movie. They had better get everything else in the movie perfect to make up for this outrage, though… Actually, my expectations shouldn’t even be that high, ’cause every individual interperets and imagines Narnia differently, so what’s perfect to me might be absolutely disgusting to somebody else. I’ve been pretty pleased with the first two movies over-all, though, so I’ll just trust the people making the movie. Anyways, getting all upset isn’t going to help with anything…It actually just occured to me,(don’t get me wrong, I’m a Narnia "freak", too) but this IS just a movie and in the big picture of life it isn’t really going to matter whether Caspian speaks with a Spanish, British, or American accent–When I’m lying on my deathbed I’m not really going to care. So, now, with that in mind, I’m going to be so bold as to say that Caspian might as well speak Chinese.

• aslan1980 says:

I think the accent change only underlines that Caspian is now the King of Narnia. All the Narnians speak with an english accent so it is obvious their King should also speak with an english accent too. The precedence is that Peter, Edmund, Lucy and Susan spoke with an english accent when they were Kings and Queens of Narnia so it follows Caspian should do so like wise. Living among the Narnians has changed the way he speaks. He has had a Pygmalion transformation if you like. It is the only way to answer a difficult continuity problem.

• Narnialover says:

i think it’s kinda stupid that his accent just suddenly disappears, wouldn’t people notice? i mean, i never really liked it in the first place, it sounded really fake, but it would be better to keep it than just losing it altogether. And that beard…UGH!!!

• Laura Elizabeth says:

Woohoo! I am so glad! I couldn’t stand Caspian’s fake spanish accent (then again, I can’t stand Caspian very much in the movie, either).

• Haggith Tarkheena says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! This can’t beeeeee!!!!! He won’t sound at all like a Telmarine!!!!

• narniaandthenorth says:

so what does a telmarine sound like??? in my imagination, they should have a pirate accent becasue they were pirates. everyones ideas are different.

• Narnian Beauty says:

I kind of have mixed feelings. I did like the accents in Prince Caspian because of the diversity but I see the point about all the other creatures of Narnia having English accents. I guess I’ll see how I like it when the movie comes out!!!

• Buzlikab says:

It will be a little strange if you watch the secon one and then the third one to see how caspians accent changes. Its acualy all going to be pretty stange know that peter and susan are not going to be in VDT.

• Matthias of Redwall says:

I have to say, I really think it’s kind of cool how
    the telmarines lose their accent, symbolizing
    that they are all narnians now. I don’t know…
    I guess I just think that it’s interesting.

• NarniaNut says:

HAHA!!! I was always pretty nutreul on the whole fake accent thing so this is just kinda funny to me!!!:)LOL

• cameo says:

its more natural that way bcuz in rl when ur in a different culture you start to talk like them and who cares hes hot

• High Queene ShellyBelly says:

i thought ben sounded really sexy and i loved his tan! i thought there was something stange looking about his vdt pix, now i realize they made him pasty wh ite like the others! now he looks different too! bummer! he was the only telemarine i could understand..

• narniaandthenorth says:

its a movie. "oh i understand himm ohhhh.hmmm" wow get a life.

• Talvi says:

I actually thought ShellyBelly was saying Caspian was the only accent she could understand… I could be wrong, of course, but if that’s what she meant then that’s hardly an issue with having no life.
        but if she meant what you thought, then I agree, I suppose.
        *shuts up*

• Jeditrojan says:

I really don’t care, but it does show he’s a Narnian, not Telmarine.

• Fluffernutter says:

For me this is great news, I never could get past that accent!

• Meg says:

NO accent? Hmmm…so much for continuity….*laughs*

• narniaandthenorth says:

thankyou! i hated his cheeseball accent.i wanted barf and gag when i first heard it "im prince caspian…" riiiiight.

• Remakethemall says:

This is great news…Prince Caspian… i was never able to get through it without falling asleep..and that ahkkkscent of his stunk..and most of the dialogue I had to watch with subtitles. Looking forward to this but hopefully down the road they will start from scratch and do them all over..but smaller and more intimate..LTWTW does not hold up.

• AK says:

I work with people who come from lots of different places and our accents all change slightly depending on who we’re talking to. The people from NY get stronger NY accents when they’re talking to each other. The people from Ireland’s accents increase ten times when they talk to each other (In the few times I talked to one of the guys I didn’t even realize he was Irish until he talked to the other guy). The people from Chicago, California, Boston…I’m not saying accents disappear completely, but you can definitely hear a change in everyday conversations, so I can rationalize a change in the movie…Plus, technically, its in your teens that your manner of speaking really gets cemented in your brain, which is why it’s easier for kids to lose accents than adults, so just keep reminding yourself that Caspian was not as old as the actor playing him. 🙂

• Ari says:

I loved the accent, but remember, he’s been in Narnia around Narnians for three years now. He’s going to sound a little like them. So I don’t reallly mind, but like what they said, people’s accents come out when their talking to other people with the accent. Or when their mad. It’d be fun for it to come out now and then.

• Ms. Polly says:

oh. Great. Nice.

Won’t that be a shocker. I can just see critics:
    "Caspian losing the accent was very unexpected, random, and improbable.Narnia was given another chance, only to completely turn around, creating a very randomized story, that did not fit in with the continuity of the previous films"

• Waleed Sajjad Khan says:

it would b kinda hard 4 the telmarines 2 say "dawn treader" with a spanish accent XD

• QueenLucytheValient says:

i loved caspian’s acent in prince caspian but at the same time i can’t wait to hear his real accent. the most interesting [art is to see how they will explain the change, or if they even will tlk about it.

• LucyTheValiant says:

What?? That’s crazy!

• Narnialover says:

IM SO EXCITED FOR VDT TO COME OUT!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEE!!!!! kinda off topic, but whatever, i’m so excited!

• Narnialover says:

so many comments on this website, wow! probably nobody’s going to read mine…

• ilovelucy says: