Caspian Loses His Accent for VDT

BenBarnesFan was sent a scan yesterday of an interview between Kingston University’s student magazine, ‘Mouth’ and Ben Barnes.

Mouth Magazine: How did it feel reprising your role as (the now) King Caspian?

Ben Barnes: It was a great experience reprising the role. It’s a different take on the character with a new director and new studio invovled. We decided that Caspian and the Telmarines will no longer have European accents, as they felt CS Lewis is a quintessentially an English writer. The story is my favourite of the seven books and it has a feel of a roving, mythical, adventure tale.

The Telmarine accent in Prince Caspian got a lot of mixed reviews from fans and critics alike. As the accent has now been removed for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, it should be interesting to see how everybody reacts.

Thanks to ‘Cass’, ‘Sir Jack’, and ‘bkey’ for the information!

234 Responses

1. DragonGirl says:

Yes!! This is awesome! I hated that accent! Though it will sound kinda weird that he had an accent in PC and then suddenly sounds British in VDT…

2. Ana says:

The accent in PC basicaly just made me laugh. When I asked friends what they thought of Caspian they would all make fun of certain lines of his etc instead of talking about his character. It was very distracting.

• WilliamMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

lol! It made me laugh too! I HATED his accent and acting for PC!! I'm glad it's not there anymore, but it'll be weird hearing a completley different voice for Caspian. I just hope he does alright in acting.

• JadistarkilleR says:

liking or disliking the accent is beside the point, the main thing their breaking is CONTINUITY. if the accent was an issue in the past, then for goodness sakes IMPROVE ON IT, not drop it like it never happened.

• McGunn says:

I agree to some extent – continuity is important in a series like Narnia, but still, I think I'll be bugged by it perhaps the first 10 minutes and then just be dragged into the story so much I won't care:)

3. Lyle says:

YES! I feel that one of the downfalls of the Caspian film was the accent, which was VERY distracting (they should have used either American to distinguish from the Brits, or none at all).

4. Lucy Took says:

HALLELUJAH!

He's Caspian again! Not Indigo Montoya!

Or he's Aragorn. But whatever. I'd rather have Aragorn for Caspian than Indigo. Not that I want Aragorn for Caspian…

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

It's Inigo Montoya. Not Indigo. 🙂
      I thought that the "waxing and waning Spanish accent" was sort of weird. It sometimes distinguished him and sometimes didn't. I wanted them to finally DECIDE which to use. Was he going to sound like the Pevensies or his fellow Telmarines. I vote for the Spanish-like accent on the basis that it sounds at least somewhat similar to Castellito as Miraz, Alcazar as Sopespian, and Favino as Glozelle. As well as Ms. Borrachev (I don't know how to spell her last name) as Prunaprismia. But I think, since he will be the main Telmarine in this one, with not much screen time with any other Telmarines (besides Drinian and Rhince) it might be a good idea to lose the Spanish accent. As long as I can tell Ben's voice apart from Skandar's! In the latter bits of LWW, sometimes I couldn't tell when Ed (Skandar) was speaking and when Peter (Will) was speaking. And in PC it was even worse. If you listen to the commentary on either movie, sometimes it's hard to tell their voices apart. So, here's to the voices being different! (like Caspian's being deep and Edmund's being slightly deep, although, I know, good luck with that happening)

• tenthofthatname says:

According to the article scan they got rid of the accent for ALL the Telmarines. Most of the crew is supposed to be of Galma origin so I can see that being a loophole for why no one uses the Spanish accent anymore.

• NarniaWarrior says:

I agree HQN…because of such a variety of Med. actors it was easier to have one (BEN) change his rather all the Med. actors changing theirs to English….204…

• Lilprincessofthelion says:

I agree with Tooky. I'm glad the accent is gone.

• Jill Pole says:

Even though I love Princess Bride, I totally agree!

5. iLiveInNarnia says:

Indigo Montoya does not sail on this ship! Curious to see how they speak!

6. Omac the centaur says:

what!? No I liked his accent! 🙁 arg!!

7. Eliseo says:

I'm disappointed about the change. Continuity-wise its a disaster. it really takes away from the mystique of the Telmarines and destroyed some of the depth created in the Narnian world in the previous film. I just hope the average movie-goer doesnt notice that continuity inconsistency.

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

In this instance: Thankfully, I'd say that the average movie-goer isn't a Narnia fanatic like the freaks that roam this website… Just Kidding! About the freaks part, not the average movie-goer part.
      Concerning continuity: Well, what I have heard from Ben's real voice (his normal English accent) sounds fine for a Narnian king who has been reigning for three years.
      Random note to self: If production changes the number of years that Caspian has been reigning, for any reason, write a veeeeery looooooooong email condemning that decision. And blog and write comments about it expressing extreme displeasure. End random note to self.

• NarniaHannah♥(used to be celtic13 and LucyReepicheep4♥) says:

lol. i'm a Narnia freak. 😉
        If that happens let me know, so I can write a veeerrry looooooong complaint email with you. 😉

• Mags says:

While I agree that Caspian's accent was extremely put on, it would be better, like aforesaid, to keep it for the sake of continuity. Well, whatever, I'm extremely nitpicky,lol ;). I'm sure it will be awesome 😀

8. twinimage says:

YES! Hallelujah! This makes me so happy. 😀
    A wise decision, it's best to forget they had those awful accents. It will make this film MUCH more enjoyable for me.
    And I don't really think this will ruin the series or cause troubles for continuity either. Some won't notice and others who do notice, won't really care once the movies out.

NOTE: In case you didn't know, I didn't like the cheesy accents in PC. 😉

9. Skilletdude says:

You can easily say his accent has changed because he's been around the Narnians for several years and now speaks more like them. It's not that big of a deal and I doubt the audience will care. It will likely go unnoticed.

10. tenthofthatname says:

Have to say I'm disappointed too. It really is a continuity disaster. No tan, no accent, does this mean all Telmarines will no longer have an accent or is it just Caspian? All the "reversals" make the production appear like it's trying to cater to a specific audience and is no longer an independent creative endeavor. I enjoyed the pride the team took in their work. I don't know if these changes are true creative corrections or just bending to a particular crowd.

11. tenthofthatname says:

In addition to that…why don't they just make Ben Barnes blond already?

12. Braden Woodburn says:

Well that's kinda cool. Although I thought the fake accent was rather hott, I still think he sounds a bit handsome in his normal voice accent. Can't wait to hear how it comes out!

13. silverPhoenix says:

Glad to hear this. His accent in PC was ridiculous.

14. Reepicheep, Knight of Narnia says:

Uhh…
    This is more than I can take. First Caspian's beard, then Reep's voice, now the Telmarine accent. I don't understand why this change is necessary. A lot of people will think that they got someone else to play Caspian. Okay, I'll admit that I'm not a fan of most of the Telmarines' accents, but I do like Caspian's better. Even if it's not always a realistic sounding Spanish accent, I still like it. I think that people will notice, too. I mean, you can notice teensy little things like something moving from one place to another in different shots. A total change in one of the main characters' voice, effecting every line of his… Well…

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

Don't forget that Caspian now also has a ponytail. That's far worse than the beard (I think).

• NarniaHannah♥(used to be celtic13 and LucyReepicheep4♥) says:

he has WHAT?!?!

• SavedByGrace says:

He has WHAT!! Makes me think he went into denial about Susan leaving and decided to get a whole new look. Honestly, I think I could handle the beard, but not the ponytail.

Well, the movie IS being made by a completely different director, different company (or whatever you would call Fox), and different writers. It's bound to be a least a little different from the previous movies. We just have to hope that it will be a GOOD different. People who have seen the Biola Media trailer thought it looked very good and consistent with the other movies. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
      Who knows–maybe you'll be thrilled with all the changes when you actually see them and get used to them. 😉

• Ana says:

What's the big deal with the beard? What's wrong with a guy growing a beard? I mean there on a sea voyage, it must be hard to shave when your living in a very confined space (he gave his room to Lucy remember) and the ship is rocking back and forth. I see no continuity promblem with a beard…come on it has been three years.

Yeah, in my opinion the beard is a minor issue. I liked Caspian without a beard, and I like him with one. And you're right, Ana, it's more practical and realistic for him to grow a beard while aboard a ship. Besides, I think it makes him more manly. 😉

• NarniaHannah♥(used to be celtic13 and LucyReepicheep4♥) says:

I have only a little problem with the beard, if you think about it logicaly, you are right. I just think it is going to be hard to get used to. 🙂

• Aslan's Meadow says:

I like the beared, he is getting older

• Brian in Calgary says:

I'm neither happy nor unhappy with the change of accent, it all depends upon whether they ignore it or explain it. It wouldn't take much to explain it – for example, the Telmarines who stayed decided to follow the lead of their King and sound more like the Narnians for the sake of unity. Once they do that, they can then get on with the story.

• April says:

YES! Exactly! If they explain it, it won't be as random and the continuity is at least half there. But if suddenly Caspian just has a different accent… Ugh. That's like taking Harry Potter and suddenly making him Irish. People would notice. Especially us Narnia 'freaks' :P.
        I dunno, this accent thing bugs me slightly (things like this, even Reep's voice, don't usually bug me), and though I liked his spanish accent to a point… I was expecting some sort of change in accent. Just not a total recall. So strange. I hope they do this right.. The movie makers seem to be doing well, so maybe I'll just trust 'em.

15. tenthofthatname says:

Okay now I have another question…For those who saw the footage at the BIOLA conference, I remember Caspian had a line or two in it. How come no one mentioned the loss of his accent?

• Violamom says:

To be honest, we were so enraptured by what we were seeing that we just didn't notice. I only remember one line–after Edmund says something like "Well, if Narnia is at peace and there are no threats, why are we here?", and Caspian responds with a worried "I've been wondering the same thing". Both lines were delivered within a few seconds and in low voices so his accent wasn't very noticeable either way. (That's probably a longer answer to your question than you needed, but there it is!)

My first reaction to this news was "but what about continuity?"–however, if he is no longer living among the Telmarines, but the Narnians, it is not stretching credulity too terribly hard to think he's picked up more of a Narnian accent. So all in all, I'm kind of glad to hear this. 🙂 <><

• tenthofthatname says:

Thanks for the info! Maybe that means his change in accent isn't too strong (different accent but same pitch and intonation, same emphasis on lesser contractions, etc. etc.) I much prefer there be a natural transition for his accent to change too instead of a big Hollywood Handwave!

16. I really liked the accent…at least the idea. Ben didn't pull it off that well but I loved that they had Spanish actors for the Telmarines. I'll be kinda sad that they're not going to have Spanish actors in VotDT but oh well :P. So much for continuity, seems like they want to make this a totally new and seperate film.

17. Waleed Khan says:

Whoa, now THATS really going to tell the difference between the prince and the king!

18. Elf Maiden Archer of Rivendell says:

I don't know if I like the change or not. I sort of liked the accent on the other Telmarines, but I know I hated Ben Barnes way of doing it. My friends hated his accent too; though I know that a lot of people, like my parents are going to be like, "What the?", "I thought they were supposed to have a Spanish accent or something!!?". Oh, well I don't really care myself.

19. heyheyheyhayley says:

well indigo montoya eventually becomes the dread pirate roberts, right? 😉 so they both set sail on a new adventure… haha

• NarniaHannah♥(used to be celtic13 and LucyReepicheep4♥) says:

actually, Inigo never actually said he accepted the title of dread pirate Roberts. 😉 but maybe he did off-screen.
      (but to be honest I never liked the idea of dread pirate Roberts)

• heyheyheyhayley says:

yeah i realized that after i posted it… actually my younger sister had to correct me on that, not really the biggest fan of that movie (princess bride)

20. Edmund-is-hot says:

His accent was pretty nice 😉 But I guess since he's been in Narnia for so long, he has accostomed to everyone else's accents maybe? 🙂

• Tawariell says:

I agree– he must have adapted really well to Narnian ways and picked up their accent.

21. sgk474 says:

Let's be positive – we all love the books and want the film to be a success (well I hope we do) so we need to stop grumbling and be pleased it's coming out – none of us would make the mythical 'perfect' movie version anyway. I'm sure they are striving to make it the best possible so let's be encouraging. I'm not totally sure what to make of the accent thing but I'm sure they've thought carefully about it and made an informed decision so that's good enough for me. Can't wait for Dec 10!

• chirpingbird says:

That doesn't mean they should throw in a stupid continualty blunder. Of course, it wouldn't be bad unless it was properly explained, in my opinion.

22. coracle says:

I think the real reason for the accents in PC was that they decided to have "Mediterranean" looking people for the Telmarines, to show them as a different sub-racial group from the Narnian humans (Archenlanders and other descendants of Frank & Helen). They didn't want them to look Polynesian as there had been Polynesian actors playing Narnian creatures in LWW. So Mediterranean was a good alternative. Unfortunately most of the actors they chose were not native English speakers, so had accents. End of story.

23. blondie says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! I LOATHED his accent in prince caspian it was utter rubbish. That's great news.

24. Sir Jack says:

I can't belive, I was right! I mean, I didn't like the accent, but its weird having caspian changing his accent within 3 years..

25. Mirima Rosetrader says:

What? I liked the accent. How is that logically possible? How would a person be able to change their accent in three years? I know a guy that is Greek that has been in the U.S. for ten years and still has a strong accent. So the accent just magically disappears? I don't get it. They'll have to come up with an explaination for that because it just doesn't seem logical.

• NarniaHannah♥(used to be celtic13 and LucyReepicheep4♥) says:

"logical" explanation from a Narnia freak(me): all of Narnia is magic
      logical expanation: haven't though of one yet…

• Mirima Rosetrader says:

I know. I'm a freak about magic and fantasy stuff, but losing an accent… That doesn't really have anything to do with magic. I hope he at least has a tint of an accent. Because I just don't see how a real person could just sack their accent completely. I mean some stuff in fantasy has to make sense. Everything can't just magically happen.

26. Nathan says:

So, he loses his accent in 3 years. Wow. Really bad planning on somebody's part.

• FriendOfNarnia2 says:

It has nothing to do with planning. It has to do with the taste of the director and the creative team.

27. true-narnian_queen says:

YEAH!!! we get to hear his beautiful british accent!!!

28. Ariel_of_Narnia says:

I like Spanish, I love the accent, and I thought it cool that they made the Telmarines somewhat Spanish. I kind of have mixed feelings about this one. For one, continuity. It may seem as though now that there's a different director and so on, that everything is changing (like Caspian's ponytail and Reep's voice, for example).
    However, I do agree with various other people who are saying that since Caspian's hanging out with more Narnians than Telmarines, he /should/ typically start talking more like a Narnian.
    Personally, I never saw Caspian as with an accent. (Though I didn't much mind it for the movie and the whole Inigo Montoya joke /was/ kinda funny for a while….)

29. Alambil and Tarvis says:

This makes no sense…HOW ARE THEY GOING TO EXPLAIN HOW HE RANDOMLY LOSES HIS ACCENT?! Continuity problem much?!

Although, Ariel, you do make a valid point. Okay, never mind, that makes a *bit* more sense 🙂

*not freaking out as much anymore* Thanks for pointing that out, now I'm not as bothered 🙂

30. always narnian says:

YAY! I mean, I think it sounded sort of fake…So I am relieved =) It makes sense that he could possbily have a "european accent" due to the men who found the cave and wandered into Narnia (thus how the telmarines came to Narnia) or they could have British accent because of King Frank and Queen Helen. 🙂

31. Emmy says:

yeah im sort of glad the accent is gone, lol I mean it was funny at first but then it sort of went a little odd. But me and my friends would always mock the `I am Prince Caspian` moment it was so funny! Good the accents are going but i will miss the laughs

32. Shy Galadriel says:

Huzzah!! I'm really glad about this change!!! Of course, the best change I can imagine would be to go back, take the waterfall scene out of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and change a great deal of Prince Caspian (especially the opening scene).

33. FrecklefaceJill says:

Too bad! I liked his accent, but that's OK, I'll get used to it.

~Jill~

34. QueenLucy12 says:

I am Happy And Confused! I guessed the accent was fine with me in the 2nd one i never really thought about it! but they should let him have alittle of the accent that he had to make it make more since, then just losing it!

35. I'm actually really glad of this. The accent in PC just struck me as…weird. I only wish there wouldn't be a continuity issue between PC and VoDT. I don't like to *feel* like it's a movie and be thinking about how there's a new director/production company. Anyway, I think it will be good and hopefully not too much of a switch. Ben Barnes' voice is his voice, no matter the accent (and it often felt in PC like he wanted to fall back on his native dialect, so I think it should be fine.) Can't wait!

36. YAY! I hated that accent!

37. GlimGlum says:

I'm sure they thought about the continuity issues and still decided drop the accent nevertheless. The decision makers must believe it the best way to go but it would be nice to find out the reason why when VDT is released. 🙂

38. PC says:

I am fine with Caspian losing his accent I will however be interested to see what reepacheep sound like with his new voice.

39. JadistarkilleR says:

whoah! wait a sec, slow down there…..

…. the Telmarines lose the accent? wha-huh? with all the efforts they've done to establish their culture in PC they just toss it out like it never happened?

and i thought the only thing Caspian lost was his tan…. apparently with the merging of two cultures pretty much everything Telmarine goes bye bye as well.

*groan*

liking or disliking the accent is beside the point, this flies in the face of consistency. if they've all been struggling with what kind of accent to use for Telmarines, then just use the standard hispanic/ mexican accent that most of the planet is used to hearing. is that so hard?

makes me kinda wonder if 20th Century Fox played creative director again and put their noses in where it doesnt belong….

• tenthofthatname says:

The implied loss of Telmarine culture is what kills me the most. It figures the "foreigners" are anglicized only after it's established that they're good guys. I hope that's not the case, we'll just have to see when the film comes out.

• ShastaTheSecond says:

Hmm.. at first I commented saying I'm glad he's getting rid of it, but three seconds later… I don't know. Continuity is probably more important than Barnes thinks it is.

• Elf Maiden Archer of Rivendell says:

You're totally right. Why do they have change the Telmarine/Hispanic culture?! (Even if I hated the accent. It's gonna lose the flow, and it's gonna make it look choppy. What's done is done!

• Bookwyrm says:

How does dropping the accent equal dropping the culture? There's been no indication that they've eliminated the clothing or armor styles or any of that. Just the accent.

• JadistarkilleR says:

the accent *is* part of the culture, its short of them having their own language and us having to read subtitles. and notice the design of the ship, the costumes, even some of the weaponry, there is a conscious effort to bring back the glory days of Narnia (thats true), but for pete's sake bringing back the culture of the High Kings and Queens doesnt equate to the total elimination of Telmarine culture as well. or what was that talk about uniting the Narnians and the Telmarines all just a lot of hot air?

i'm looking over the photos with new eyes in light of this recent revelation and i notice that the only thing remotely Telmarine thats left is the weaponry. that was fine if you still had Caspian and some of the crew still have some aspect of Telmarine about them. but now Caspian is as pale as a London boy (ahem) and will obviously sound like one, whats more a lot of the ship's crew hardly look Telmarine at all, even if you say a lot of them are of Galman origin, if you look at the extras most of them hardly look hispanic (due partly because of the casting done in Australia). i wouldnt mind these "paler" Telmarines if only they would carry on the accent, but now it feels like they've never existed.

40. ernesto says:

I think the voices of the characters in the new movie The Chronicles of Narnia the voyage of the Dawn Treader if it can be in Spanish and also you can tered the Spanish recording the voices of the characters and simple but we hope what I said this will be good for you good luck bye.

41. pselpevensie says:

well that's…interesting. is he going to british now?

42. KingSkandartheJust says:

hmm…The European accents were pretty cool. I'll just have to wait to see which one I like better.

43. CoriaKing says:

I thought the spanish accents were good for the telmarine soldiers. Not Caspian. But I guess if you take away Caspian's spanish accent, then you have to take away the others'. I still have my hopes high for this one.

44. NarnianElf says:

Hmmmmm, I don't know what I think about this. It might be a nice thing, but I thought his accent was really neat in PC.

45. george843 says:

WHAT?!?!? I loved his accent! I don't know why he had to change it in order to appear more Narnian…

46. NarniaHannah♥(used to be celtic13 and LucyReepicheep4♥) says:

so does this mean he won't say "hello, my name is Caspian the 10th you killed my father, prepare to die!"? lol 😉

47. MurtaghLuv says:

Okay, I mean his accent was kinda weird but changing it is even weirder

48. LuvNarnia says:

aww too bad, I loved Caspians accent!

49. Yay Narnia says:

I liked his accent. (Some of my friends didn't, tho). Changing the accent, however is kind of weird. Oh well.

50. Sir Anton says:

I did not care for the Prince Caspian character AT ALL in the movie and I think was one of the main reasons for the failure of the movie. They tried to bring in some older, romantic, foreign swashbuckler to the role. This is not the Prince Caspian of the actual book.
    I really do not care what accent he has. I just hope he has little part in the upcoming movie so Voyage of the Dawn Treader is not ruined too.

51. ShastaTheSecond says:

I'm so glad he's doing this. On one hand it's a bummer for continuity's sake, but on the other, he won't be so much of a stereotype anymore.

52. Mark Sommer says:

Not happy. Click on my name and look for the article "No Telmarine accent in Dawn Treader" to see why.

53. Bundibird says:

So long as they give a reason for it – for example, Lucy points out that his accent is different and Caspian says that with spending all his time with Narnians and no Telmarines their accent was bound to rub off on him – then that would be ok. If it's just a sudden jump and no one comments on it as though he always spoke like that – that would be disappointing.

I did like the accent though – it really showed a distinction between the Telmarines and the Narnians.

54. Aunt Letty says:

It does seem really odd in the continuity vein to have Caspian drop his cheesy hispanic accent suddenly. I guess if they come up with a not-so-cheesy explanation for it's dissapearance, it could work. On the other hand, why would the lost Telmarine lords have dropped their accents?

In PC, the accents of the other Telmarines; Miraz, Sopespian, and so on, were not cheesy at all but natural to the actors for the most part. I love how they vary slightly from actor to actor, depending on their ethnic origins. The baroque, lilting sound of those accents (not Caspian's) is one of my favorite elements of PC. . Plus, they provided and excellent device for delineating the sense of a whole separate culture without any real backstory.

The movie will probably be just fine without the accents but it's going to take some getting used to, hearing a Telmarine lord speaking Oxford english.

55. Jill Pole says:

well i can't say that im dissapointed. I kid of thought he wouldn't have had an accent in the first place. Although I see the reasoning behind Andrew's take on where the Telmarines came from. but I think it will be a good change. not sure how i feel about him looking like jesus however. 🙂

56. Elinor Mitchell says:

I for one am glad it is changed! It was utterly absurd and most obviously fake. Bravo to the change.

57. Puddleglum says:

Perhapes I am only going to confuse the whole matter with this question,(if so please just ignore me, and continue with your discussion), but since many did not like Caspian's accent, I wonder what will be the accent given the Calormen's

Interesting question. I always pictured them with an Arabic accent–or at least a very slight one. I liked how they were portrayed in the Focus on the Family Radio Theater (I think that's what it's called–I haven't listened to them in a while because I can recite them in my sleep). I think they had a slight accent, but it wasn't distracting.

On another note, I just hope they make the Horse and His Boy at all. If they make it right the accents should be a minor issue.

• Jill Pole says:

I agree with arabic, but I don't think that there will be that much racism in the portrayal of them. people who think that obviously have not read the books, or background information.

• Puddleglum says:

My only worry is the possibility that since the calormen are pictured as a dark skinned race is that there may be a claim of racism by some.

• Puddleglum says:

I agree Ms. Pole.
      Unfortunatly there are many people with very little to do but make accusations, even baseless ones.

58. Nathan says:

I heard that the Voyage of the Dawn Treader trailer is going to precede the new Shrek 3D movie this weekend.

• Lucy says:

OMG! really? I heard that too, but I thought it was just a rumour! Do you really think that will happen? Do you suppose that means we'll have a real-as-corn trailer by FRIDAY?

59. yeswelovenarnia says:

I have to say I really liked his accent! It gave the Telmarines something of there own. I would have to say I am not liking the changes on this movie. This is one of my favorite books and it is just sad the way they are messing it up.

• Lucy says:

I say wait until the movie (Or at least the trailer, for pity's sake!) comes out before you go saying a thing like that.