Concept Art for Dawn Treader Toys

Posted June 27, 2010 12:39 pm by fantasia_kitty

A few months ago, we reported on some toy concept art for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by ‘pnutink’ which can be seen here. Kelila and icarus wrote in again to say that ‘pnutink’ had added more concept toy art to his site, which he has graciously given us permission to post here.

Pnutink also told me that these concepts have not been confirmed and at this point it is unlikely they will actually make it to production. But they’re still fun to look at.

• Daredevil says:

As with the last bunch, these look very much like McDonalds/Burger King kid’s meal toys. Still, i like the look of the the dragon here. It probably has no relevance to the design of the dragon we will see in the movie, but its still interesting to see concept designs of any sort all the same.

• QueenLucy12 says:

yay! first comment! Cool!

• Liberty Hoffman says:

are these for Burger King or something? hmmm….. I like the Eustace/Dragon one though 😀

• Midshipman Pepper Darcy says:

I’m hoping for action figures! =) I’m going to get Lucy’s if they put them out… which I’m sure they should! =D

• NOTW says:

I want one of those!

• LadyCourage says:

Cute! I love the colors! Very fun!

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

The Eustace dragon one is… a bit weird, if you ask me. But then, I can’t think of any other way to render a change from a dragon to a human…. But the image is still slightly odd. And I wasn’t aware that Eustace had a dagger. 😉
    What exactly is the bottom set of sketches? It looks like a figurine standing on the back of DT, but what happens with the figure? I don’t get it.

• HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste says:

Eustace cutting out of his own dragon skin? Hmm..

• HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste says:

Or maybe I’m wrong, and it is just showing Eustace’s transformation from dragon to boy, and the boy version of him just happens to be wielding a dagger. I don’t know. I mean, most toys are always cooler with weapons and swords and such, right?

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

I’m thinking that he’s /not/ cutting out, but just there to reveal that he and the dragon are one and the same character. It’s a really cool concept, actually. And I agree: toys with swords and daggers /are/ cooler!

• HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste says:

Yeah, you’re probably right.

• Elf Maiden Archer of Rivendell says:

Cool! I will only go to McDonald’s or Burger King’s if they’re going to have VDT toys! Lol! 😉 I remember McD’s had ’em for LWW. I think I got the beavers, and one of my siblings got the White Witch.

• Silver the Wanderer says:

I would totally go out and buy a ton of Happy Meals if they have VDT toys, haha 😛

• Elf Maiden Archer of Rivendell says:

Me imitating Cashier person: "Hello, welcome to McDonald’s, how can I help you?" Narnia fan customer: " I would like 2 Happy Meals, with the Marnia toys, one McNuggets, one burger, all fries, & 1 sprite, 1 milk. 3 big kid meals, 1 cheesburger, 1 burger, 1 McNuggets, 1 coke, 1 iced tea, 1 HiC, 2 apple dippers, 1 fries. One Lucy toy, 1 Aslan, & one dragon" Cashier person: Repeat that please! Customer: Ok, so just give me the toys! I’ll pay $5! 😉

Lol! Yeah, forget about the food, I would just want the toys! But it doesn’t seem to me that Narnia would go well with McDonalds. Getting an Aslan action figure with chicken McNuggets… :\ Meh, I just can’t picture it. Did they really do it with LWW? (Our family never goes there so I wouldn’t know)

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

You can buy the toys without getting the food if you wish. Just ask for a toy and they’ll give you one (but ask which ones they’ve got because they don’t usually have them all at the same time!).

• Silver the Wanderer says:

@Ariel_of_Narnia, I might just have to do that! ‘Cause I don’t really like McDonalds food.

• HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste says:

I remember, I had gotten Peter 😀

• Aslan's Meadow says:

I would have liked to see some more detailed work then "McDonalds" toys. But still, they are neat and would be REALLY cool if they advertised Narnia at McDonalds…..almost the whole continent goes to McDonalds!!! lol

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

I didn’t know that McD’s had the LWW toys until a girl next door (who knew me all her life) came to my front door and said, "I got this a McDonald’s and thought you’d like it," shoving a Peter toy under my nose. She also got me Susan. My best friend gave me Tumnus and would have given me Mr. Beaver if she had found it.

• Elf Maiden Archer of Rivendell says:

Yeah! It’s crazy! I wouldn’t when I’m "out ‘o the house". I would only go there if it was the last food on earth, or if they had VDT toys! 😉

• Bother Eustace says:

Yeah, i remember the LWW ones… in fact my sister still has the Beavers, the Witch, Edmund, and I think maybe Lucy.

we have all of them, and they’re so cool cuz they came with folded popups of scenes that related to the character it came with, such as the White Witch came with a pop up scene of her ice castle.

• Pepper Darcy says:

oh boy! the Witch! 🙂 Why don’t they give out like Lucy or Aslan or the other Pevensies? 🙁

so cool! i love the dragon-turning-into-eustace toy!

• Young playwright from Narnia says:

Yay ! Twelve comment

I wonder how close to these toys the dragon will look in the movie? Of course they’re just concept art and DO look like fast food toys. But they’re still kind of cool.

Boy, I’m dying to see more movie footage! Even just a picture!

• Anna's Sister says:

Hm, I like the look of Eustace dragon.

the Eustace dragon toy looks cool! if these toys are suppose to be Macdonald’s toys, then im gonna collect all of them. doesnt matter if im 15, cuz im a crazy narnia fan 😀

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

I’ve already decided that if McD’s gets VDT toys, I’m going to visit weekly to try to get them all! (Alas, I only have 3 of the LWW ones….)

• Tatiana says:

Lame. I’m not thrilled at the concepts shown so far and wouldn’t give my final approval of them. Knowing from my own experience how much creative development work can go on behind the scenes for every toy or novelty item before it finally goes into production, I still have hopes that the end result will be much better!

• Eustace says:

Well, if the dragon is that color then that is a really cool dragon color.

• Ariel_of_Narnia says:

Oh, I get it! With the dragon one, you’re supposed to push a button, then the dragon splits in two and spins, revealing Eustace inside. I have a toy like that (maybe from a way-long-ago happy meal?) except that it was a baby dinosaur in an egg.

• FBI agent trinity-hawkeye291 (and high silent warrior) says:

i must say: liberty is right those look like something from BK!chuckled liberty is so right and funny!

• Lucy P. says:

I like the mechanisms on both of these. The way the dragon pops open reminds me of an early concept for the Turkish delight container.
    And Caspian as a key? Fascinating.
    Yeah, I still enjoy Happy Meals. 😛

• sarah pandy says:

i always waiting for narnia vdt, georgie… skandar… william poulter (newcomer)i am waiting your action…..

• sarah pevensie says:

i will be the first people who will see the narnia VDT…..

• sarah pevensie says:

to Narnia…..

10 language: i love u-gismi-amore-litua-aishiteru-saranghae-wo ai ni-ake uba iko-we vian ne mu-aku suka kamu

forever

• High Queen Emily the Valiant says:

I’m not that mad on these toys they look a bit cheap and like they come from Macdonald’s happy meal or something. Not too happy.

• SkandarLove says:

They really do look like somthing you get at McDonalds … but, they are very cool 🙂

• Alambil and Tarvis says:

They had better have toys at least…I’m really starting to hate Fox for their terrible lack of marketing skills with VDT…

1 Trackback or Pingback for this entry