Dawn Treader Footage Screened at Taylor University

Posted June 7, 2010 8:29 am by fantasia_kitty

We received a spy report from ‘John’ who attended the C. S. Lewis & Friends conference at Taylor University this past weekend. The conference was hosted by Dr. Devin Brown, and to the surprise of the attendees, some footage from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was shown. Be warned, there are a few new plot spoilers in this report!

I just wanted to send everyone at NarniaWeb a heads-up. This past weekend (Jun. 3-6), I was privileged to attend the Seventh Frances White Ewbank Colloquium on C.S. Lewis & Friends, held at Taylor University in Upland, IN.

One of the keynote speakers at the colloquium was Dr. Devin Brown of Asbury College, author of Inside Narnia and its two sequels. As faithful followers of NarniaWeb will know, Dr. Brown was one of those who, along with NarniaWeb’s own Tirian, were present at the unveiling of the VDT super trailer.

As a gracious and oh-so-welcome treat to attendees of the colloquium at Taylor, Walden sent a DVD with the super trailer to the house of one of the professors on the planning committee. The disc was then handed over to the care of Dr. Brown, who hosted a viewing of the super trailer on Saturday, Jun. 5.

The trailer was about five minutes long. Although the footage from VDT was the same as has been detailed elsewhere (http://www.narniaweb.com/2010/05/narnia-super-trailer-at-the-biola-media-conference/), I thought it would be worth sharing some additional insights that I had (a good many of them suggested by Dr. Brown in an almost shot-by-shot discussion of the footage; we were allowed to watch the trailer SEVERAL times).

*. Dr. Brown claimed that the spires in the opening shot of the super trailer are the spires of Cambridge near the home of Eustace and his parents. There are indeed lion gargoyles, just as there was a lion statue near the railway station in PC. Deliberate, surely!

*. Before the three kids are “washed” into Narnia, Lucy is seen staring at herself in a mirror. Dr. Brown believes this is a deliberate foreshadowing of Lucy’s temptation at the magician’s house, when she is sucked in by the beauty spell.

*. When the painting begins spewing water, Dr. Brown pointed out that in his fear, Eustace screams “Mother!” instead of calling her by her first name, as he is wont to do according to the book.

*. When Lucy opens the magician’s book and snow begins to fall, the expression on her face is almost identical to the one she had when she first entered Narnia in LWW. A very nice touch!

*. Dr. Brown also suggested that the “blue star” the Dawn Treader is told to follow may actually be Ramandu’s daughter. If I remember correctly, in her bodily appearance to the crew later on in the trailer, Ramandu’s daughter is seen with a glowing sphere of blue light inside her body, so this connection seems very likely to me.

*. At one point, I think it’s the magician who says “To defeat the darkness out there, you must defeat the darkness in yourself.” This certainly happens with Lucy, doesn’t it?

*. Dr. Brown pointed out that Reepicheep is paunchier and slightly gray. Since Reep is so concerned with personal appearance in PC, one might argue that this is a foreshadowing of his willingness to toss away his honor and dignity (in the form of his sword) at the end of the story. After all, how could a mouse concerned with dignity let himself go to seed like that? Only one who has learned a bit of humility, perhaps?

*. As reported at the earlier super trailer screening, Aslan utters his famous allusion to Christ that takes place near the end of the book. I tried very hard to write this down word-for-word, and I’m 90% sure I got it right.

Lucy: “Will you visit us in our world?”
Aslan: “In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it.”

Just to compare, here is the line from the book.

Aslan: “But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name.”

As you can see, very much alike! Nearly brought a tear to my eye, it did.

Aside from what I’ve added here, I’m happy to confirm the rundown given by “subjectofthehighking.”

Much of this will already be known from other recent updates, but Dr. Brown confirmed that Toy Story 3 will feature the theatrical premiere of the VDT trailer. He also talked a bit about the plot additions. For instance, the filmmakers have added, in addition to the quest to find the sleepers, a quest to find seven swords (I’m pretty sure this was reported before).

Early in their voyage, the crew will arrive at an island that is nearly deserted, because people have been disappearing from it. Gael’s parents were among those who disappeared. Apparently, finding the seven lords and seven swords will help recover the missing individuals.

This is pretty much everything I learned from the screening and the discussion afterwards. It was very enlightening, very thrilling (needless to say), and as I said earlier, very gracious on Walden’s part to send the disc to the good folks at Taylor University!

There was of course a watermark on the trailer with Dr. Brown’s name on it, and no cameras were allowed, so unfortunately I don’t have the visual evidence to back up what I’ve said here. However, here is a link to the colloquium’s website, which confirms Dr. Brown was a keynote speaker.

You will not find the VDT preview on the colloquium schedule, because it was meant as a last-minute surprise by the planning committee.

I should mention that apart from the sneak preview, which alone made the weekend worthwhile, this was an excellent conference, which I also had the chance to attend in 2008. Other keynote speakers included Inklings scholars Peter Schakel and Joseph Pearce.

In 2012, Taylor’s colloquium will be merging with another C.S. Lewis conference (the name of which escapes me at the moment), so it should be bigger and better than ever (maybe by that time we’ll be watching a preview of The Silver Chair). I highly recommend the experience to all fans of C.S. Lewis and his fellow Inklings.

Thanks to Taylor and Walden for a memorable weekend!

John, thank you so much for your report!

Visit the ForumHave a comment or want to chime in on this news story? Check out the NarniaWeb Forum for some fantastic discussion. Just click here to post your comments. We look forward to seeing you on the forum! Here’s a quick preview of the forum discussion:

No Items Available

Unfortunately there appears to be no news items on the page you have requested logged here

• GlimGlum says:

Some more insight into Gael’s situation and the quest and this "deserted island". For me it sounds interesting. I am sure much discussion will follow… 🙂

• Bother Eustace says:

I find it interesting that the report says /both/ of Gael’s parents have disappeared, not just her mother. So, does that mean that Rhince isn’t Gael’s father, as some of us have been speculating?

• Fire Fairy says:

I bet he’s her uncle, because in the cast listing after Gael there is "Gael’s Aunt".

• GlimGlum says:

Good observation, Bother Eustace. If both her parents have disappeared, then Rhince is probably an uncle or has some other connection to Gael. 🙂

• Poggin says:

If you recall from what we’ve heard about the super trailer, Lucy says to Gael, "Don’t worry, we’ll find your mother." This makes me think that Rhince is her father, as he does shout "Elaine!" right before jumping off of the ship after Gael shouts "Mommy!".

Personally, I think this new island where people are disappearing could fit in the magical islands that the Dawn Treader sails to on her voyage. Can’t wait to learn more (and SEE more).

• Duffleglum says:

Yeah, first glance made me feel uncomfortable about an Island where people disappear, but I now realize that this addition works well with the story.

Ever read "Planet Narnia"? It unravels the mystery behind Narnia’s strange characteristics between each book, really cool. If you read it, you’ll see why this new addition does not actually take away from C.S. Lewis’ original intent behind VoDT

• daughter of the King says:

Great report! Oddly, the part that bothers me most is Eustace calling his mother "Mother." That sounds like a needless change. I’m not sure I like making Reep older either. As for Gael, glad to know more of her background, but I wish they hadn’t felt the need to add to the plot.

• Violamom says:

Actually, I’m guessing the point of Eustace doing that is to show that for all his family’s modern pretentiousness, when push comes to shove and in a moment of terror, he’ll cry out, "Mummy!" (or whatever), which is what he SHOULD be calling his mother. Sort of a "no-atheists-in-foxholes" kind of moment. 😉 <><

• Watziznehm says:

Agreed! For all Eustace’s "modern" and lofty ways, in a moment of terror he is just like the rest of us – i.e. human. That one word – "mother" – portrays that beautifully.

• Eavis says:

Yeah, I agree completely with you, Daughter of the King, but I think Violamom has a great point, and…it doesn’t bother me sooo much anymore.

• Trufflehunter says:

Making Reepicheep look older was probably just supposed to go along with the fact that he would sound different, because Eddie Izzard is no longer voicing him, but (I can’t remember his name!) is.

• Griffle says:

Eh…that would be Bill Nighy, a serciously awesome british actor that will do an absolutely fantastic job providing Reep with a voice. Nighy will actually be competing with himself this Christmas, appearing in both Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I. 😉 He’s probably most known as the voice of Davy Jones in Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man’s Chest/At World’s End by younger Narnia fans.

• Emy says:

Well, mice like Reepiceep do age VERY quickly compared to other animals, their life doesn’t last very long maybe this is a sign of Reep’s aging, the grey fur, the new voice but i think bill will do a gr8 job voicing Reep

CAN’T WAIT TO SEE MOVIE

• K.J. says:

But wouldn’t Reep need to be older? After all, time has passed since last we saw him…

• Watziznehm says:

Oh my, spoilers spoilers spoilers! It seems, the more spoilers we have, that the list of questions keeps getting longer and longer. Why would the finding of the seven swords rescue all the people that were lost on the Island – including Gaels parents? Oy, for that matter, what has Gael to do with it? It seems she will have something more than just a minor role. With all these plot changes, will the very essence of the story be lost? Last, but not least, why are all these changes necessary? That is what bugs me most. I can understand all these changes they made in PC, but that was because PC was uncinematic to begin with. VDT, in my opinion, is quite cinematic as it is. So, now I am right back at my last question, why did they figure they had to fix something that wasn’t broken?

• Aslan's Meadow says:

Yes! I am confused as to why they made the changes. I’m not very happy with them. I don’t like the idea of teh "seven swords" or of Gael. I wanted just Caspian, Edmund, and Lucy. But we’ll see. I’m sure I’ll fall in love with the movie, but right know I am worried for the first time about VDT!!!!!

• QueenSusanJ316 says:

Is it me or does it sound like they are adding more to the plot than what was in the original book, kind of like they did with Prince Caspian? I hope not. No matter what they do I can not wait to see the trailer!!!

• QueenLucy12 says:

Wow…I am SOOO Happy They Put in when Aslan Says "In your World I have another name"!!! YAY! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! 6months, 3days and 14hours! EEEEPPP!!!!

• RevelinginWonder says:

I totally agree with QueenLucy12! What a powerful meaning that quote had in the book… I can’t even imagine how powerful it will be in the movie, said by Aslan, who, to me, is an extremely strong portrayal of Christ.

I actually like the idea of the changes they have made… the double meanings are wonderful! I love that Reep changes colors, and that Lucy looks in the mirror in the beginning. I am excited to see what the seven swords have to do in the plot! I am SO excited!

You know, I have to agree that even if there are changes from the book, I won’t mind them so much if they have good meanings, and keep the feeling C. S. Lewis was trying to create. I’m so glad they’re keeping Aslan’s line in too!

But I’ll still be majorly disappointed if they change everything else. 🙁

• adamie says:

They did it again! I know we heard about the seven swords subplot, but now it is confirmed that it actually is a way to save a whole bunch of people. THAT’S NOT WHAT VDT IS ABOUT! Why can’t they just make a film out of the books, instead of making up plots and characters, or reviving dead characters! I’m getting pretty worried about this film!

Some of the little touches, like the Lucy-snow sequence, sound really good, I have to admit that.

• Aslan's Meadow says:

Adamie…I’m also getting pretty nervous.

• Luis Daniel says:

U 2 r over exagerating this movie is base on the book not copy paste. Ok so atleast the film is made. Is better something that nothing. I hate ppl like u too always saying " im nearvous" o plis just stop!!!!!!!!!

I’m a little nervous too, but I’m still optimistic. 😀 We should wait for the trailer before we get too worried. Like Puddleglum said, I like to know the worse and then put a good face on it.

At least, I think he said something like that, but I don’t feel like going downstairs to scan through the book. 😉

• Aslan's Meadow says:

Luis Daniel, I think it is fine to be nervous.
        After all, being nervous isn’t gonna hurt anything…it is "Just a Movie" 🙂
        Also I’m sure I’m going to fall in love with the movie, but I do wish they would have done something different.

• WilliamMoseleyandSkandarcrush! says:

OH YEAH! This means that the trailer is closer to Narniaweb!!! Lovin it! And I’m also SO relieved that they are true to the book in this report. Especially the part where Aslan says that he will be a new name in our world; I was SO concerned about that part! Glad its all coming together. This is my favorite book so I don’t want any disapointments which so far is only one! 🙂 ! And I wish Edmund wil have that dream about the White Witch and that the sea serpant will look right and that Aslan is bigger and more majestic looking and a whole lot of other things!!!!!!!!!

• Pattertwig says:

I have to echo the concerns of almost everyone else that’s posted on this. While it sounds like VTD will be a good movie, it’s a far cry from a good adaptation of the book. At this rate, with more changes being made in each successive movie, will The Last Battle (assuming it gets filmed) even be recognizable?

• narnialover101 says:

I think it’s unfair to say it’s a far cry from a good adaption before seeing the film, or even the trailer. I’m with you, I don’t like the changes, but I’m not going to make my final judgment until I see how it all plays out.

• Silver the Wanderer says:

Completely agreed – I’m not worried yet about the swords/missing people subplot. After all, it sounds like they’ve got a lot of the important things right (ie: the "There I have another name" line, which just happens to be my favorite line in the entire Chronicles).

Don’t freak out yet, people.

• true-narnian_queen says:

SREAM!!!!! give us the trailer!!! i want to see it!!! PLEASE!!!! this si gooing to be an amazing movie!!!!! 6 months to go!!! eeepppp!!!!

• LadyCourage says:

Oh dear… Seven swords?? All we can do I guess is hope they don’t focus too much on it. Definition of "focus too much"? Don’t know yet. We’ll see I guess…

At least we’ll see the trailer ourselves before Toy Story 3!! My family and I see very few movies in the theater, but Toy Story 3 is one we will see! Yay!

I’m not too worried about Eustace saying "Mother" and Reepicheep looking a bit older. As long as Eustace’s character is "pitch-perfect" (as I heard someone describe him in the movie), I won’t worry. And the same goes for Reepicheep. Just as long as he isn’t walking around with a cane. 😉
    It sounds kind of cool that Ramandu’s daughter glows blue. That could be really neat.
    However, I’m still nervous about that seven swords and missing people plot line. It sounds like they’re changing the whole goal of the story, and it just sounds weird to me. And the more new things they add, the less time they’ll have for things that are actually in the book.
    However, there’s still a chance it won’t be so bad. If the seven swords thing is fairly "innocuous" (as Kathy Keller described it), it might only be annoying instead of devastating.
    Only time will tell. Can’t wait for the trailer! 😀

this sounds very interestiing. the changes and additions that appear dont really bother me that much. in fact, i think these additions will make the movie more interesting, and dive deeper into the characters. i like the idea of having Lucy seem a little insecure with her appearence, which will give a more detailed reason of why she is so interested in the beauty spell. and with Eustace saying "mother" instead of her name is quite interesting, and to me it shows Eustace’s hidden character thats deep inside him that he truly does care about his family and only acts like a brat for certain reasons (perhaps for attention). as long as they have Aslan’s line from the end of the book i will be happy. that is the only thing that im extremely concerned with. if they didnt have that line in there, i would not like the movie. period.
    anyway, i am totally excited! cant wait for toy story so i can see the trailer!

• Fire Fairy says:

You, I never really thought of that, but you’re right. It does make sense that Lucy be a little insecure with her appearance. I mean, why else would she be so tempted with the beauty spell?

• Melody says:

I’d guess that as much as it would annoy all of us Narnia fans to have Eustace not call his parents by their first names, most viewers wouldn’t ‘get it’ and might actually miss the fact that Alberta is Eustace’s mother, etc. I mean, how many other ways are there to tell the viewer that Alberta is Eustace’s mother when obviously, their relationship doesn’t follow the assumed rules of a regular mother/son relationship?

As a screenwriter myself, I see the difficulty. 😛

Maybe we could just make everyone read the books before they watch the movie? 😉

You’re quite right. If Eustace was calling his parents by their first names with no explanation, the audience would think they were his aunt and uncle or something. But then again, maybe he WILL call them by their first names, and only shout "mother" when he’s really upset, as some other people are suggesting. Either way, I’ll be fine with it.

I agree it should be mandatory for everyone to read the books before watching the movie. 😉

• Melody says:

Your theory would be quite cool to see (speaking as a Narnia fan) – I wonder what they’ll choose to do with their options. There are tons of screenwriters who are more creative than I am, perhaps they will figure out a way to show who Harold & Alberta are while maintaining the first-name thing. 🙂

But yeah, it’s not really a thing that I’d be upset about…it’s definitely nothing to worry about compared to certain plot changes in a certain previous film which got many certain people very unhappy. 😉

• Fire Fairy says:

Ditto. And Melody, with you being a screenwriter, what is your take on the seven swords subplot/thing? It seems to me that the movie writers might have added it to "tie" the plot together. We Narnia fanatics might object, but normal moviegoers might find the original VDT plot to be a bit disjointed and choppy.

• Melody says:

My take:

In most scripts (particularly the popular adventure ones such as Narnia) you need something to put pressure on the main characters. Why (other than for the sake of questing) are they going on this quest? What will go wrong if they don’t succeed? It’s called a ‘ticking time bomb’ in writing.

I’ll use an example here of a highly popular film trilogy which was not originally written as a book – Star Wars Episodes IV-VI (1977-1983).

In each story, the external pressure is the villain – Darth Vader, who wants to destroy the rebels, and, in Episodes 5 and 6, capture Luke and turn him to the Dark Side.

There are things that could go wrong. For example, in each story, there is an extremely high chance that Luke could die.
        Sometimes things **do** go wrong (haha, that’s part of the fun of the story–how will the characters overcome it).

There is not a moment in the story in which we are not thinking about how things possibly could go wrong, and are wondering whether or not it will, and what the characters will do about it.

Now, in other films, there are other types of external pressures that all base back to the basic struggle (man vs. man, man vs. nature, man vs. himself, man vs. God, etc), just like in Star Wars (Luke vs. Darth Vader which in a way is Luke vs. himself because it’s not only a physical battle but also a spiritual one).

Quickly bouncing to another example that could get really long if I’m not careful – Lord of the Rings. Everything has to do with throwing the Ring in the fire. We’re always thinking about it. Frodo’s obsessed with it. There is pressure as Sauron closes in.

____

I would guess that they don’t believe that modern audiences can handle the idea of a quest for the sake of a quest. ::roll:: I don’t need a good reason to go on a quest. 😉 But I suppose that they did their market research and decided that the average moviegoer doesn’t understand honor and quests and all that…

Therefore, the 7 swords are there to give them purpose. They are going to go help these missing characters. That also will give it a more personal look – Gael will definitely help. We will care about what happens to Gael (because she’s a cute little kid), and we want her to get back to her parents. It’s a lot more personal. You know, who cares about these Telmarine lords we’ve never seen before! We want to see a little girl reunited with her parents. It’s the cute factor…

I suppose that I shan’t mind too much. (but I’m a girl, the cute factor affects me a lot)

So this brings up the question – are these 7 lords still going to be mainland Telmarine nobility? Or are they going to be some random nobility that happens to need rescuing when Caspian just happens to be jaunting around Galma or something like that…?

Anyway, pardon the long post. 🙂 I got carried away. I love film structure.

(yeah, speaking of film structure, I’ve heard that Save the Cat! by Blake Snyder is good, though I haven’t gotten my hands on a copy myself…or just hang out on christianfilmmakers.org for a while! ;D)

• HighQueenofNarnia says:

Well, I’m no screenwriter, but what I’m thinking is that the filmmakers deviated from the book’s original purpose. VotDT book makes it very clear that Miraz sent these seven lords out to sea because he wanted to get rid of them so that they wouldn’t challenge him as he retained the title "Lord Protector" after he killed his brother and ultimately ascended to the throne. (Btw, there were no special swords.) The lords were simply in the way of Miraz’s ambitions. And Caspian vowed on his coronation day that he would find these lords should he get the chance (i.e., peace is in Narnia). So, that’s the whole reason for this quest, in a nutshell. And Caspian even says as much in the book. So, that would be the book purist adaptation.

Unfortunately, the filmmakers are nowhere near book purists. 😉

And, Melanie, I agree that if that element (of Miraz sending the seven lords on some bizarre quest and Caspian vowing to find them) wasn’t in the book, if Caspian was just "questing for the sake of questing" then the filmmakers would add another element to give a reason for the quest, such as the swords. But, as you see, the book already has a reason for the quest and doesn’t need another element.

I’m not sure how to respond to the point about how "the average moviegoer doesn’t understand honor and quests and all that." It’s somewhat true, that those aren’t part of our society today, but it will still resonate with audiences as "the noble and brave deed"- with the diabolical Miraz, the courageous lords, the concept of Caspian vowing to find them, and the idea of a quest itself- I like to think that honor and chivalry are NOT dead in our culture. 🙂

Concerning the ‘ticking time bomb’: Well, there is no ticking time bomb in VotDT. Caspian doesn’t have to be home by a certain time; in fact, I think that Lewis deliberately structured the book to almost have a leisurely pace, with action bits strung in between. I mean, there is an object to this quest (finding the seven lords), but it can take as long as Caspian pleases. I think that Fox, et al., is making VotDT into a more fast-paced film than the book. So, my view of VotDT book is that there’s no "we-have-to-do-this-by-this-time-otherwise-we-won’t-make-it-and-everyone-will-die" theme like there is in some of the other books, notably LB. It’s an adventure- full of challenges and unknowns. Let it stay that way, please!

Also, the major plot change that I’m worried about in VotDT is the "final battle" theme that’s present in every other book except MN, which, as any Narnia fan knows, is more of an explanatory book. But consider: LWW, PC, HHB, SC, and LB all culminate into a climax. VotDT has no such scene (or even the hint of such a scene). So, I hope that the "final battle" theme isn’t in the movie and that VotDT stays an adventure.

I won’t go into what I hope the filmmakers won’t change in the book, as that would be a book commentary! 🙂 I am such a purist.

Basically, in summary, there’s no time constraints on VotDT and it doesn’t need pitched battles; in fact, my opinion is that VotDT is the overall general population favorite CoN book because it doesn’t have that culminating battle; it’s different from any other book because of its unique structure and content.

• Melody says:

HighQueenofNarnia–

Just so you know, I was only theorizing on why the filmmakers made the choices that they did. I don’t agree with their choices – I can see other ways they could have accomplished the same thing without adding another plotline – but it sounds much better than Prince Caspian.

I question how they’re going to make VDT match PC – movie!Caspian doesn’t seem to be the type who would quest like that, and they didn’t say anything about the seven lords in the film, unlike in the book, where it specifically says that they went to sea and never came back.

I didn’t say I agreed with what I assume is the filmmakers’ assessment of average filmgoers…I’d like to see a lot more films that talk about honor and adventure and stuff, actually! I think it’s a dying theme in adventure movies these days, and ought to be brought back. But analysts will be analysts…and they don’t know everything. 😉

Anyway, we haven’t seen a real synopsis yet. I don’t think we’ll see a real 40-beat structure here. (at least, I will be annoyed if we do…) Sea voyages and quests don’t need structured so firmly.

Structure is pounded into the heads of all good screenwriters. Unfortunately, that can spell trouble for book purists. There are ways, however, to break the rules of screenplay structure if you know how.

Now, if the filmmakers would just remember that they’re not making the next Star Wars (which is highly structured) and that they’re adapting a beloved children’s book, then they will do well. You can break tons of rules in a book adaptation… 🙂

As a side note, VDT is my favorite too, and I don’t see a real reason to add all this stuff…I like the idea of a cute little kid character to reunite with her parents, but I speak as a writer who puts cute little kid characters in pretty much all of her stories. 😉 It’ll be neat – it just won’t be as much of Narnia as we wanted it to be.

• The Batman says:

Thanks so much for the report, John! 🙂 The more spoilers I read the more excited I get about this movie!!! It’s going to be incredible!!!

• Kotarki says:

Awesome, oddly enough, Taylor University is one of my biggest college interests. These comments are very reassuring, and I’m beginning to accept some of these possible changes they are making. Of course, considering they are pulled off well.

• Aravis Narnia says:

That is just plain amazing! I love the foreshadowing and the hints. Sounds like really good screenwriting and directing. Can’t wait!

• Alambil and Tarva says:

So the trailer WILL be released with TS3!!!! OMG LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!!! *freaks out*

As for the side plot with Gael and the seven swords…I’m still a little uneasy about that. But I remember they DID land on a deserted island in the book! They were only there for maybe a paragraph or something, and when I re-read the book I found myself wondering what had happened there and exactly WHY Lewis had even included that part if it never went anywhere…it’s almost like he was teasing the future filmmakers with an unfinished element that needed to be filled in. LOL

Anyway, hopefully the added stuff is not going to be a HUGE part of the film. I still don’t get the swords thing. Maybe each sword belonged to each lord? That would make sense…plus, the fact that there are seven has biblical significance, so adding to that might actually do more good than harm. Like…the seven deadly sins vs. the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit? And the swords are like the gifts…and you can only "find" lost souls and bring them back to the faith by using these gifts.

^y’know what? If that’s what the swords and and missing people are meant to symbolize, then I actually really like the idea. I hope I’m right.

• HighQueen_Of_LanternWaste says:

It seems they are adding more and more to the plot, I suppose this was a decision that was going to be somewhat necessary, you can’t expect everyone going to see the film to particularly be a fan, so they must add more interest to the overall story. As long as they don’t stray too far from the book, I’m fine, still very excited. I REALLY like the fact the Lucy’s expression is the same in the snow scene as when she first entered Narnia, that is how I originally imagined it to be when we first heard of said scene. Let’s get that trailer going!

i’m cool with all the spoilers givem. i really like the ones that foreshadow events to come; specifically lucy and the mirror. the only one that i have a slight problem with is eusatce saying "mother" instead of "alberta".

• sgk474 says:

The film sounds brilliant and I’m interested by the sub-plot. Glad the famous ‘In your world, I have another name…’ line is in. Can’t wait to see it and get as many folk going as i can – yay!

• Violet Fire Krazed says:

*squees with fangirlish delight and glances at calendar* How much longer must I wait?! GAH!

My parents won’t let me go see Toy Story 3. Not fair. They say I’m to old for it and they won’t spend all that money just to see a trailer.

They just don’t get it!

~VFK~

• Melody says:

Budget theatre? 🙂 (there’s one around here that does $3 tickets or something…)

But I expect it’ll get put on the internet within about 24 hours of Toy Story 3’s release…I’m sure that if the production doesn’t officially release it, someone will put it up on youtube or vimeo.

So don’t worry too much, it’ll be online soon. Then we can all pick it to pieces as much as we like. ;D

Too old for it? From what I’ve seen, there are a good number of teens and adults who have been counting the days for Toy Story 3!

• Melody says:

LOL, I actually want to see Toy Story 3. (I’m probably considered too old for it…) I haven’t seen #2 yet but will one of these days…

Pixar films are the best! (especially UP – ::cry::)

What would it look like if Pixar did Narnia, I wonder? 😀 (…not in this film series, if they did another film series in 10 years or something…) I bet the story would be good!

• Hope in the Lord says:

Never mind you can always see the trailer on YouTube. But I understand I’m 22 and I still love Toy Story it’s on my most must watch list for this year.

I’m 19 and I’ve loved Toy Story since I first saw it when I was little. (Well, it did scare me a bit, what with the mean kid and the mutant toys. And it made a deep impression on me. I still won’t get rid of my toys because I don’t want to hurt their feelings. 😉 )

And Melody, I think Pixar films are the best too! They’re so clever.

• Melody says:

Starlily, there are legends in my family about me seeing Toy Story and being frightened of the same things…but apparently I was 4 or something, and have no memory of it. 😉 LOL

• silverPhoenix says:

Everything sounds interesting…

• Daughter_of_Ramandu says:

Awe, I wanted hear a scream "Alberta!!" from Eustace. Oh well. The ‘Follow the Blue Star’ thing sounds so romantic. I honestly cannot wait to see the story between Caspian/Lilliandil

• Danielmybrother says:

Good report. I have a good feeling about this movie. Can’t wait!

• Brylowman says:

It seems strange that everyone is so upset about silly things like Eustace saying "Mother" instead of Alberta and the addition of a better reason for a quest. My biggest dislike is that it seems like RD is the one leading them in destroying the Dark Island instead of Aslan. I’m not really worried about them ruining the story as it sounds like it will be a fantastic movie. Aslan’s line at the end was the biggest concern there was and they got it right, so let’s all count our blessings and thank the Lord.

• daughter of the King says:

I think the reason that people are less concerned about the additions to the plot is because we’ve known about them for awhile. Even the "follow the blue star" thing has popped up before.

• gabinkyunable/to/roar says:

wow,…..um…icant roar this excitment out of me!!!! so maybe toy story will be top box office because of people seeing the trailer…why not see it on the internet?! unless people want to see toy story 3 of course…

• InklingsNut8472 says:

Yes, I could see people going to Toy Story 3 just to see the trailer on the big screen. It reminds me of a series of Fox Trot strips years ago where the character Jason and his friend Marcus are running from room to room in a local theatre just to see the teaser for Star Wars Episode I over and over again. Ha!

• Melody says:

LOL!

I’m too young to have understood Foxtrot when SW Episode I came out… but is that what people did before they had internet? 😉 When the PC trailer came out, I found a place to download it to my computer and played it over and over again, memorizing it…and then transcribed it for a pen-pal of mine who didn’t have a computer. I was a little nuts at the time. 😉

• Casue says:

OMG!!!!!!!! Can’t wait till i can drag my family to Toy Story 3! 🙂

• Casue says:

Eustance saying mother instead of Alberta shows how much of a wimp he is. still Eustance in the silver chai is my fav charecter

• Liberty Hoffman says:

awesome! awesome! awesome!

• Eliseo says:

So if people are disappearing on a deserted island, then maybe Burnt Island wasnt taken away from the movie after all.. intruiging…

• Glenstorm the Great says:

I didn’t see anything that upset me. Besides RD being a blue star that leads them along. THat sounds so cliche and stupid. But whatever. I really don’t like the seven swords things either but oh well. But I do like Eustace calling Alberta "mother" when he goes in to the painting.

• Reepicheep The Mouse says:

i wish i could scream in print!

• Narniamiss says:

Reep paunchier?….I never would have thought Reep would let himself go like that!
    The only thing I am really disliking here is RD as a blue sphere…it’s kind of weird. Not to mention she wasn’t a major character in the book for a good reason..she just wans’t really necessary. Oh well. I’ll save my big nitpicking for the trailer. Muahaha!

• Narniano says:

Ya quiero ver la película

• Luis Daniel says:

Yo tambien estoy super emocionado!!!!!!!!!! Narnia es la mejor pelicula epica del mundo!!!!!!!!

• Brock Hammon says:

Wow! Great comments everyone!

I’m surprised no one has mentioned it, but my greatest disappointment is the sudden conversion of the Telmarine accent from Mediterranean to British. Though this was announced a few weeks ago.

Funny you should mention the theater-hopping in the cinema for Star Wars: Episode I. I’ve read that marked the first time a significant percent of people paid for a movie just to see the trailer (I believe it was attached with "Meet Joe Black" and maybe others).

Anyway, back to the changes in DT. As always, I won’t know how I feel about all of them until I see the movie. I’m sure there will be some I love and some I don’t.

• NarniaKnight says:

When the trailor for VDT comes out right before Toy Story 3 as a comercial in the theatre, will it be on the internet?

• Hope in the Lord says:

Much as I like Lucy, I can’t help but feel like she’s a little too perfect. I mean I know she represents a child like faith for her Lord and Master Aslan/in our world Jesus, but she tends to sound more or less like a goody two shoes. That’s what’s always bothered me about the Narnia series. I find it easier to relate to Edmund, Peter, Susan, and yes even Eustace and Jill then to Lucy be cause they seem to have more human flaws yet are likable in their own right. That being said, I can’t wait for VoDT and the trailer of course. 🙂

• Talking Rat says:

I see what you’re saying, but I think Lucy does have flaws; they just tend to be subtler. I mean, in PC, Aslan rebukes her for not following him even though nobody believed her, and then there’s that whole scene in the magicians house where she eavesdrops on what her friends are saying about her and is tempted to try a beauty spell. I think one of her main flaws is wanting to please people and to be liked by them– which can be a good thing, but it’s also very dangerous– partially because it is subtle. And it’s something I can relate to. 🙂

• Aunt Letty says:

There is another quest underlying the adventure in VDT, aside from Caspian’s quest to purge the honor of his throne from his uncle’s treachery. This other quest is the real story and it’s what gives VoDT it’s powerful grip on readers’ hearts, whether they recognize it consciously or not ( I’m sure I didn’t when I read it the first time, though I definitely felt it). It’s also what gives the story it’s sense of urgency, that element that all screenplays ought to have if they possibly can. Both quests are stated right out in the beginning of the book, but then through most of the rest of the story, the real quest of the voyage is played out in subtle allusions and in metaphors, for the most part.

I was going to spell it out, but I’m curious what others might have to say about the real quest of VDT.

Edmund is the only main character that does not serve to illustrate the quest for Aslan’s country, except perhaps in the sense that he has already been there both spiritually and physically (having had near-death experiences on both fronts and been saved by Aslan’s gifts both times). Even the ship itself takes a symbolic role, and not just as a vehicle.

The real quest in VoDT is one that is grand enough, engaging and utterly human enough to fill the screen, but it would take a person of uncommon intuition and skill to bring it there in it’s full potency. I think it could be done, but probably won’t. Which is fine. I don’t go to the Narnia movies expecting anything other than good, clean entertainment with a whiff of the higher altitude winds here and there, and that’s better than what is usually served up in theaters, so I’m happy.

• Melody says:

That would be my greatest hope – that the filmmakers put a lot of emphasis on Reepicheep’s desire for Aslan’s country. In my opinion, that could definitely drive the story. (it drove half of the plot of the book)

• Timo says:

Oh I’m sure they’ll make a big deal of reep’s death.. 🙂 well.. I hope it.. It was such an emotional part in the book.. I almost cried when I was little at that part..

I think what you mean is the journey or quest or longing for Aslan and his country (or God and Heaven). Seeking Aslan is the theme behind most of the story, and Edmund and Lucy bring that out at the end when they ask Aslan if he’ll be in their world too.

But I’m sure you could say it much more eloquently, Aunt Letty. 🙂

And unfortunately I suspect you’re right. There’s not much chance the filmmakers will get that theme correct. 🙁 But perhaps, if they’ve put Aslan’s line at the end in, it won’t be lost either.

• always narnian • loyal C.S. Lewis fan says:

Yeah. That’s why it’s sad that Christians didn’t make the movie. 🙁 Because the theme is mostly lost, and that was the greatest thing to the stories!

• Watziznehm says:

Yeah, for us Christians, the biggest meaning in VDT is the ultimate longing – to be able to know and see heaven and the journey to such wonders. When Hollywood is concerned we can hardly expect a miracle (or even an illustration of one), but don’t lose heart completely. Has everyone forgotten that the guy who directed this movie also directed Amazing Grace? We may get more than just a glimmer, we just may!

• Anselem says:

i love this, keep it coming guys.

• always narnian • loyal C.S. Lewis fan says:

Wow. But I was just thinking, the line that Aslan says is probably the only one that close to something in the book! 🙂 And the whole seven sword thing? that’s weird! At least I’ll be going into this knowing that it doesn’t follow the book! I knew nothing like this before PC.

Must have been a bit of a shock for you then. I followed PC from the beginning and it was still a bit of a shock to see all the changes.

• Waleed Sajjad Khan says:

didint they cancel th ewhole 7 sword thing? it had 2 do with a new witch so since they decided not 2 do that they probably wont do the swords. anyway, still getting closer… and closer…

• Falling in Narnia says:

Spoilers are like fun size candy bars, they leave you wanting more!!!

• Kell says:

I can’t wait to see the trailer wasn’t going to see Toy Story 3 but will because of the trailer, and when Dawn Treader comes out I am going to see it without thinking of the book at all and just enjoy a good movie. That’s the way I did it with HP and enjoyed the movies very much. That’s the way I am going to do with DT. I find when you try to compare the book to much with the movie it not very entertaining at all. Movies are so different than books.

• Musgrave says:

Only 10 more days till the trailer comes out!!!

• Meghan says:

Oh my goodness! Are you kidding me? I live in Upland and my dad works at Taylor and I missed this! How disappointing! I wish I would have known! SoundS really cool! I’m so excited!

• Haggith Tarkheena (trying to think of new name) says:

Awesome. I’m really glad Aslan says that favorite line of ours. 🙂 And I’m also glad that Reep will be a little grey, for in the book, he’s supposed to be darker.

3 Trackbacks / Pingbacks for this entry