Dawn Treader Will Be a Marathon

Posted December 11, 2010 9:41 am by Tirian

Deadline Hollywood has posted Friday box office estimates at $9m and extrapolated that out to an opening weekend estimate of $28m for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. By comparison, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe made $65m on opening weekend and Prince Caspian made $55m. It’s obvious that these are very early numbers and things can still turn around. We’re only half-way through the weekend! But if this trend holds, it won’t be a good sign for the Narnia franchise.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is showing on 3,555 screens and made roughly half of Friday’s cum for Prince Caspian ($19m).

It’s important to remember, though, that films opening in December generally don’t have huge opening weekends (LWW was an exception) and that the real value to the December opening is that the box office gets the benefit of the entire month. There isn’t much competition in the box office for family films this Christmas (only Tron) so it’s expected to do well every week through Christmas. In fact, Fox has just announced today that Gulliver’s Travels has been moved to Christmas Day which leaves December 22-23 open for Dawn Treader.

It’s important that the faith and family community gets out to support these films in a big way. If you haven’t seen Dawn Treader yet this weekend, please see it! As Douglas Gresham says, “take your friends and take your enemies.”

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader at Box Office Mojo

Prince Caspian at Box Office Mojo

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe at Box Office Mojo

• Pepper Darcy says:

I just got back from the theater. For a dinky-little town in Kansas it was *REALLY* full for just ONE show (30 people or more) In our area, THAT is a lot! We went to LotR in McAllen Texas for RotK on the day it came out and there weren’t even that many people in there! Narnia was ‘packed’ vs. what we usually see when we go. So, guys! there’s hope! I even saw several older couples. We were getting our tickets and an elder lady came up and said: ‘Narnia!’

I want to watch it again! Can’t wait! If my sister goes to see Tangled, I’M seeing Narnia AGAIN! We’re seeing it with some friends soon, but that doesn’t mean if my sister saw Tangled I’d want to watch Tangled! I’d go see Narnia! πŸ˜€ HANDS DOWN! Apted is awesome! He can really drive a story. I’ve gotta headache from how intense it was. And I was crying in the climax! πŸ˜€

Wow! my only complaint: too short. Needed another hour, but there are time constraints πŸ™‚ PERFECT movie! I even loved the WW/Seven Swords plot. Wow. WHAT a movie. Now that’s *narnia* πŸ˜€

• Pepper Darcy says:

*now* waits very patiently while fellow Narniawebbers shoot my dead body… and then burn it, cut it into tiny pieces, and bury the very IDEA of my existance.

Hey… I do feel guilty for liking it, but I can’t help it! πŸ™‚ But, DO know this. I RESPECT your opinions and dislikes on the movie. Just forgive me for liking it πŸ™‚ K? Forgives me, precious? Again, I really do respect your guys opinion on this movie πŸ™‚

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Wow PD the movie sounds great! πŸ™‚ But I have to ask, about the "crying" scenes. Is it only cry-worthy at the end?

• graycsc says:

Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else’s, don’t feel guilty about it! I think the world needs more people who aren’t clones of the general public πŸ™‚ (I’m not saying that that’s what all or most narniawebbers are, people can like the same things without being guilty about it too!)

• SavedByGrace says:

HA! (points fingers at screen in a gun shape) I am sooooo jealous of you; I’m probably going to have to wait until after Christmas to see it πŸ™
        Oh well…..

• Samuel the Magnificent says:

I’m the same way! I loved the added plot! It really made the movie flow together.

• Tanya says:

I agree that it was too short.

• Friederike says:

I’m surprised they already have the totals for the weekend and Sunday isn’t even over yet. We plan to go tonight, bec we’re going w/friends besides having a very busy weekend. So I ask you guys to join me in praying that these numbers will pick up and people will go see it the next few weekends. We will see in regular today, but I’d like to see it 3D at another time. I can imagine that many people will see it both ways? So I guess this movie is like everything in our christian life: a step of faith.LOrd have mercy w/ this movie’s franchise and let all 7 be made. In Jesus name. Amen

• Jonathan says:

I really really hope that they at least do Magician’s Nephew. I’d love to see them go beyond what BBC did.

• jag says:

What ever happened to faith,,, pray that the film will do well, it is a wonderful film with excelent morals and lessons for young and old, pray that as many people who can, will see this movie, pray that it will have a positive effect on people! whether you were dissapointed in the adaption or not, theres really no denying as a film, it is something worth supporting for the somple fact that it is decent and family friendly, something we are seeing less, and less of these days, pray for Narnia, Pray for eachother! πŸ™‚

• SavedByGrace says:

I agree. Pray you guys. I really think this is a good way to show others that salvation cannot be earned; it is a free gift.

• graycsc says:

πŸ™‚ I think that may be the best idea I’ve seen in these comments, although I tend to go for something more like pray that the right amount of people will go to this movie, the right amount of movies will be made, and everyone will be affected by the movies in the way that is right for them. However, until and unless my mind is changed I of course also want as many people as possible to go to it!

• Lucylu says:

i went last night, and the people i went with like it better than PC. GO NARNIA.

• narniafreak13 says:

I just got back from seeing the movie. It was amazing!!!!!!! The friend I went with has not read the books very recently, and she doesn’t remember them clearly. She told me that she liked this movie waaaay better than PC and LLW. I sort of agree, but I still think LLW was a tiny bit better. However, it was done well enough that I started sobbing hysterically at the end, and my friend looked at me like I was crazy. To me, that means the movie was well done!!!!!!!!

• EFisk says:

I went and seen Dawn Treader last night. This is one of the best compared to Wardrobe in the franchise. It is sad to see slow opening numbers, but we have to keep in mind today’s economy versus when Wardrobe came out. The theatre we went to see it in was very slow for a Friday night. Not sure if it was due to the theatre having four other showings going on or if it was just an unusually slow Friday night for our area. For those that say the franchise have not had much of a Christian kick to it, this movie gave a big sucker punch at the end to those that have attacked the faithful in the last few years. I will be happy to add this movie to my collection.

• narniafreak13 says:

I think the numbers in the theater would depend on whether or not you saw it in 3D. That could’ve made a difference.

am hoping for good box office numbers!!!!!!!

• Caspian says:

I’ve seen it twice already, but I don’t think I’ll be seeing it again this weekend. It was very, very good. I really hope it does better than predicted, because no SC would be sad. Especially after the amazing job Will Poulter did. πŸ™‚

• Narnian Meerkat says:

Man, I want to see it!!!!!!!! I didn’t even get the chance to see it yet!!!! Though, I’m STILL not going to expect too much………Never will. But I still really want to see it!!!!!!!

• Emgee says:

Loved it. Can’t wait to go see it again on Thursday (after my finals are done with)!! Can’t stop listening to the Carrie Underwood song.

• Laura Elizabeth says:

I was hoping to go Friday or today (Saturday), but my dad hasn’t been feeling good, and the weather is really bad. So, who knows when I’ll be able to see it? :'(

• Thyservant says:

If SC fails to be made into film, the call for Jill Pole at the end of the film would be sadder than ever…

• Jon Turner says:

I’m trying not to get my hopes up too high, but I was already prepared to accept the fact that DAWN TREADER probably will be the last NARNIA movie we will ever see.

That said, I’d be very happy to be proven wrong. And yeah, word of mouth CAN help.

As for the film, I liked it, overall. I do wish they had added on an extra hour, as I felt the movie flew by too fast. That and I wouldn’t have minded if they either omitted Gael or kept in the scene where Eustace sees himself as a dragon. But everything else about it was fantastic. I didn’t even mind the seven swords subplot, and while I was a bit iffy about the green mist, I felt it ultimately worked very well as a symbol for our protagonists. (OK, it was cliche, but it still works.)

• Briggs says:

Thanks for spoiling the end of voyage for me Thyservant :p

• Thyservant says:

You’re welcome^^But in fact, I haven’t seen it myself. I also received it as a narniawebber here and after reading those things about the box office, I just sighed… If the series can go on, I’ll be excited to see it; If not, I’ll be EVEN MORE excited to see it but just with a bit of unspeakable grief…

• Princess Lucy says:

HEY GUYS!!!…i have notice when you look at the box office mojo website…they haven’t showed the gross for every country…infact many countries did not show any cost…looks like they haven’t finish adding up the opening weekend gross…theres still hope…hope it all goes well πŸ˜‰

• narnian1 says:

This article is speaking of the domestic opening gross only, which now seems to stand at a possible $25m. Internationally grosses are counted separately and are reported later on.

• Princess Lucy says:

Thanxs narnian1 for explaining it…now I completely understand how it works..sorri if i made you excited for no reason…I hope it does do well as we all wish πŸ˜‰

• thesithempire says:

Saw with two friends tonight. Loved it! Favorite of the three. Apted did not let down, nor did the cast or crew. It’s a great old-fashioned fantasy epic that doesn’t pander to kids with silly humor. Even the Dufflepuds, which could’ve been horrible and cheesy, were handled with class.

Great, great film. I don’t know what film the reviewers were watching when they said the acting and sfx were poor. I did not find that to be the case, and I’m pretty picky with both. My only complaint is that it’s a little too short for my tastes, but an extended edition DVD/Blu-ray would fix that.

As to the changes, they work and are necessary for the adaptation. And they don’t sacrifice anything important from the book (unlike the much lauded, but far inferior Return of the King, which committed egregious errors.)

Eustace, Reepicheep, Lucy, Edmund and Caspian were perfectly portrayed beginning to end. Really a fine accomplishment. I’ll be taking mom to see it this week!

• thesithempire says:

Saw it with two friends tonight. Loved it! Favorite of the three. Apted did not let down, nor did the cast or crew. It’s a great old-fashioned fantasy epic that doesn’t pander to kids with silly humor. Even the Dufflepuds, which could’ve been horrible and cheesy, were handled with class.

• thesithempire says:

Sorry for the double-post, but this archaic forum doesn’t let you edit.

• Bulgy Bear says:

That’s because this isn’t the forum – the forum is under where it says "forum", this is just the comments section.

• Reepicheep says:

I want to see them get past Silver Chair because the other three have never been adapted. This obviously isn’t a good sign.

• Friederike says:

Don’t despise small beginning. Let’s not give up ,but be positive about it. We can make a difference. Doesn’t matter how it looks like right now,this all can change.Blessings and enjoy the movie.Let’s keep praying.Nothing is impossible tom God.

• Thyservant says:

Although the box office is an odd, Eustace may be a great advantage for SC to go…

• graycsc says:

I think the length is really this film’s biggest issue. If they hadn’t tried to squeeze everything into such a short running time I think they could have captured more of the true feeling of the book, at least what it is to me. I don’t think an extended edition would change that though, since the length is just a cause for a different structure than I think would fit the book better. Only adding more scenes wouldn’t fix things, they need to add more in the scenes they already have. Maybe if it was longer they wouldn’t feel the need to reorder things so much too, I do love it though!!!!! They did a great job with the resources they had, and it felt much more right than PC did. It was surprisingly good, actually, and I think other people are seeing that too. I does kind of remind me of when LWW came out, at least from my perspective as someone who wasn’t yet a narnia fan at the time it wasn’t a really big deal and I had barely heard about it, but once I did see it I just had to see it again! πŸ™‚

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Yea, they should have made it into a two part movie πŸ™‚ But then we’d have to wait longer.

• lilims says:

Domestic Gross: $8,200,000 Foreign Gross: $4,800,000 Grand Total: $13,000,000
    Last updated 11 Dec 12:48 EST

• Mark says:

Hi everyone! I’m 22 and about to become a teacher… I wanted to contribute to this page a bit with my thoughts on the film. First: as a society, whatever our initial inclinations or concluding thoughts regarding a movie, we should support a film that encourages people of all ages, but especially youth, to strive to become better people and to build a better world. This movie, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, did just that and should be lauded for such an effort. The inclusion of the green mist, whatever the intention of the cinematic/directorial team, became for me a visual representation of that ever-present force in our lives: temptation. Yet, the purpose of the film centered on our abilities to, through faith, love, and courage, overcome the adversities of temptation. Thus, while you are here, whatever your opinion of the film (or the book), keep in mind its value. Try not to deter others from sharing in this theme of redemption and strength of character. Remember, like this film, we, each of us, can be a single candle in a dark room, lighting the way and dispelling the darkness.
    Might go without saying, but I enjoyed the movie…
    : )

• Louloudi the Centaur says:

I think once parents realize how bad Yogi Bear and Gulliver’s Travels are, I think they will be taking their kids to Narnia. I actually had a dream last night Yogi Bear was splattered with rotten tomatoes on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Edmund's Queen says:

lol. I only saw the preview for Yogi, and it did look pretty lame. We Narniacs need to spread the word about VDT and all its glory. Ok, I like seriously need to stop commenting so much; I just created my acount like 5 minutes ago and I’ve already typed like 2 paragraphs of comments! I can’t help it… I’m a diehard NARNIAC!!!

• The narniad says:

I will cry if this movie doesn’t do well- it was AMAZING! Definately better than Prince Caspian, and just a tiny bit off being as good as LWW! Will Poulter was so funny, he had Eustace’s character down pefectly, and everyone else was just so awesome!
    I honestly won’t be able to understand it if the film fails. We need Silver Chair!

• Edmund's Queen says:

Amen Narniad! The Silver Chair is one of my favorite books in the series. I want to see more of Eustace! Plus Puddleglum, Glimfeather, and Rillian… it would be awesome! You know, they almost promised it at the end of VDT; Aslan tells Eustace "Narnia may have need of you yet." And Alberta calls Eustace downstairs because "Jill Pole is here." EEEK! I will share your tears if VDT flops.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Silver Chair would be EPIC! I would love to see how they would do the owls. And the giants would be awesome! πŸ˜€

• Edmund's Queen says:

Yes yes yes the giants would be awesome, and so would the whole underworld scene. But you know what? I’ll probably cry my eyeballs out when Caspian dies, if they make it. Oh, and any ideas on who to play Rilian? (BTW, I can’t believe I spelled his name wrong in the above comment) Will Moseley would have been great, I think, if he hadn’t already done Peter. I also thought Ed Speleers from Eragon, but IDK…

• Princess Lucy says:

yh Edmund’s Queen…i REALLY wonder who they would choose to play Rilian…hmmm any ideas????…looks like there will be another young actor joining the narnia world lol….and who will play Jill..another big question..hehehe…ohh i really hope VDT does well so our questions be answered and see this classic story visually πŸ˜‰

• opening says:

Looks like the final opening weekend will come in at $24.5 million. http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1115509520101212?feedType=RSS&feedName=companyNews&rpc=43

• Queen Elizabeth says:

EEP! The numbers aren’t looking to good. LWW got 65.5 million for the weekend box office. πŸ™

• SilverChair2012 says:

Reading the Reuters article it does say it made $81 million overseas and 20th Century Fox are excited by its overall prospects. It cost $150 million to make in the first place, so its nearly broken even already.

• opening says:

Unfortunately, that $150 million does not include the cost of marketing the film or, if you understand financial management, the time value of money. So It’s got a way to go to break even.

• Edmund's Queen says:

I saw the movie Friday. LOVE IT!!!!!!! Will Poulter was so funny and totally nailed his role as Eustace! And Lucy is so grown up and pretty, and Edmund (deep sigh)… oh Edmund you’re so brave and I could just go on and on… I’m a bit nervous on how well the film will do. I’m praying it soars. I really wish all the withcraft crazed Potter fans would turn to the light of Narnia!

• narniafreak13 says:

Edmund’s Queen, I am a diehard Harry Potter fan as well as a Narnia fanatic. And I will tell you that I enjoyed VDT waaaaay more than HP7!

• Brisa says:

Unfortunately, I won’t be seeing this until next week πŸ™

• Edmund's Queen says:

Sorry, Brisa. But cheer up; you’ve got something to look forward to. My sisters and I were counting down the days to the 10th like it was Christmas. In fact, I was more excited about this movie than Christmas. And with good reason πŸ™‚

• faunforaslan says:

Oh shoot… :/ Well, maybe it will do better later. It doesn’t release in Japan until February, so I think that will help. I’ve been telling everyone about it. πŸ™‚

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Go Edmund! It’s funny how there are tons of Ed fans on here and barely any Peter fans. I’m not dissing the Peter fans, he’s cool too. Just an observation.

• Caspian X says:

Yeah, Your right !!! Which is your favorite character out of all of them ? I LOVE Reepicheep and his tribe. I think I would want to be them, instead of a queen !!! What do you think ?

• Queen Elizabeth says:

My personal favorite is Ed, not just because he’s "hot", but I actually like how his character goes from a little brat in LWW to a redeemed young man. I also like Aravis, and Lucy.

• Queen Elizabeth says:

I think if I had to pick a character I would actually be, it would be Susan or Lucy though. I would love to be a queen of Narnia <3

• narniafreak13 says:

Queen Elizabeth, I completely agree with you! I want to be Susan so badly! I was her for Halloween once, and I loved it!

• Edmund's Queen says:

Okay, I am absolutely in love with Edmund. I want to marry him!!! Of course, that’s obvious when you look at my user name, lol πŸ™‚ He’s so smart and hot and brave and good and hot and kingly and just and did I mention hot? OMG When I saw the movie and it was at that part at Deathwater/Goldwater and Edmund says to Caspian "You know I’m braver than both of you," I almost screamed "Yes you are! You go Ed!!!" My sisters, who aren’t even teens yet, are crazy about him too. But I also love Peter. He’s my next pick because he is such a good king and also hot; I have a weak spot for blonds πŸ™‚ My sisters think he is so mean and they hate him and I’m like "I love him! He’s like Prince, er, High King Charming!"

• Queen Elizabeth says:

Ok calm down Edmund’s Queen lol πŸ™‚ You aren’t the only one who loves Ed and his "hotness" lol. Question: Who do you like better, Ed or Skandar. because they are two totally different people really. Or do you like him just because of his looks?

• Queen Elizabeth says:

By the sound of things you are probably 15-ish. lol I may be completely wrong but you sound a lot like me lol πŸ™‚ Am I right? lol

• Adam says:

I live in Cincinnati and we had 4 people for a 500 seat theater!!! It looks like this franchise is dead

• Mark Sommer says:

Good analysis, Tirian.
    There could be many reasons for the slow start, including the inclement weather across the country. (The NFL even made a remarkably unusual decision to move the Giants/Vikings game to Monday night in Detroit, due to the severe conditions in Minnesota.)

• LadyLasalareen says:

ok guys I just went to the movie on friday night with like 10 people. we were so excited and all pumped and ready for a packed theater and all the adrenaline that comes with it. we got there an hour ahead of time to stand in line. the line that wasnt there. this is opening night at 10:00 and there was five other people in the entire theater! its the snow storms fault! please please tell all your friends about it! it is an AWESOME movie! possibly the best of the three!! i am going to it again and i know my extra ten dollars wont make a huge difference but if a ton of people went to it multiple times… things could happen!

• Edmund's Queen says:

I saw it on the 10th at a matinee and there weren’t very many people at this theater either. We also had snow a few days before. I wanted to see it with my friend but she had an orthodontist appointment and wasn’t sure if she’d make it in time. She ended up missing the one I went to, but then she went later with her family. Now we want to see again in January together, cause that’s when it will be in our small home town. I want to see it at least two more times in the theater. I want to be a contributing Narniac!

• faunforaslan says:

Take a look at this: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/12/box-office-weak-starts-for-new-narnia-film-depp-and-jolies-tourist-turn-attention-overseas.html Looks like it is doing a lot better in foreign countries and on one website, the average rating is an A- which is amazing!

• VinΓ­ccios Matheus Giraldelli says:

AMERICAN.
    SILVER CHAIR WILL ONLY BE MADE, IF THE MOVIE YOU DO IN THE SUCCESS
    U.S..
    WHY YOU ARE REMOVED FROM BOX OFFICE? IN BRAZIL, WE ARE ALL IN
    STRIVE TO BRING THE MOVIE ADIANTE.VOCÊS SHOULD DO THE SAME!

PLEASE CIRCULATE THE MOVIE, THE OTHER Critiquer.

YOU NEED TO HAVE A SEAT OF SILVER! HELP U.S.! = (